Total Posts:96|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Are modern atheists nowadays pathetic babies?

Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 7:00:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
(this certainly does not apply to all atheists, just the tiny minority who whine about anything remotely religious in society and feel the need to supress it)
A thing many people (even some atheists) have noticed is that some modern atheists are just pathetic and seem to be "triggered" by anything remotely religious (like crosses, anyone talking about their faith and manger scenes are common ones).
http://www.catholiclane.com...
When did atheism stop being about separating the church and state and start it's ridiculous level of pettiness?
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 7:28:59 PM
At 8/30/2015 7:00:03 PM, Mobutu wrote:
Pointing out a minority and then making a generalization for the majority requires a level of intellectual dishonesty.
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 7:29:49 PM
At 8/30/2015 7:28:59 PM, tstor wrote:
Pointing out a minority and then making a generalization for the majority requires a level of intellectual dishonesty.

Where do I do this?
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 7:33:05 PM
At 8/30/2015 7:29:49 PM, Mobutu wrote:

Where do I do this?
"When did atheism stop being about separating the church and state and start it's ridiculous level of pettiness?"
"Are modern atheists nowadays pathetic babies?"

As well, the article is making major generalizations based on small minorities.
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 7:38:18 PM
(this certainly does not apply to all atheists, just the tiny minority who whine about anything remotely religious in society and feel the need to supress it)
A thing many people (even some atheists) have noticed is that some modern atheists are just pathetic and seem to be "triggered" by anything remotely religious (like crosses, anyone talking about their faith and manger scenes are common ones).
When did atheism stop being about separating the church and state and start it's ridiculous level of pettiness?

"Pettiness" is a relative value judgment. What appears petty to you may not appear petty to someone else, and neither you nor they are right or wrong. Because relative to your idea of what is petty, "X" is petty. But relative to someone else's idea of petty "X" is not.

You are not the yardstick by which all pettiness is judged, and neither is anyone else. So there is no single objective yardstick for measuring pettiness. And we just have to accept that.
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 7:46:46 PM
At 8/30/2015 7:38:18 PM, PureX wrote:

"Pettiness" is a relative value judgment. What appears petty to you may not appear petty to someone else, and neither you nor they are right or wrong. Because relative to your idea of what is petty, "X" is petty. But relative to someone else's idea of petty "X" is not.

You are not the yardstick by which all pettiness is judged, and neither is anyone else. So there is no single objective yardstick for measuring pettiness. And we just have to accept that.

Complaining about manger scenes is petty to pretty much everyone. Christimas is barely even a religious holiday anymore to most. It's just some corporate holiday nowadays.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 7:57:29 PM
At 8/30/2015 7:46:46 PM, Mobutu wrote:
At 8/30/2015 7:38:18 PM, PureX wrote:

Complaining about manger scenes is petty to pretty much everyone. Christimas is barely even a religious holiday anymore to most. It's just some corporate holiday nowadays.

It's not a question of numbers, or of general consensus. And the complaints about mangers is almost always not about the manger, itself, but about where the manger is located: that is, on publicly owned and maintained property. Property that we all pay for and that we do not all want to pay for manger-care. Nor for the promotion of a religious ideal.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 8:07:41 PM

Separating church and state is called secularism, Mobutu, and many people of faith also support it -- mainly because they know from experience that theocracies are notoriously corrupt and malignant when given political power.

Atheism is about rejection of religious authority -- especially authority invoked in the name of gods. Since an awful lot of religion claims a great deal of authority over other people (and see the corruption and malignance of theocracy above), what's wrong with contesting those claims to authority?

There are legitimate reasons to be concerned when the head of a supposedly secular state calls for a day of religious activity. It'd be one thing for an ecumenical group to call for that, and the head of state to attend as a matter of personal faith, or in official solidarity; it's another for a head of state to orchestrate it.

It shouldn't just be atheists concerned by that.
ErenBalkir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 8:08:53 PM

Many atheists are what christopher hitchens would call an anti-theist. Not only do they not believe in god but they hate the very concept. I am an anti-theist. I think religion is a curse and plague on society that holds everyone back and spreads conflict, violence and lies
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 8:23:24 PM

I don't know that your age is correct, but I am willing to bet you are very young. I think you may have a skewed perspective on who are objecting to nativity scenes and why. Most of the objection comes when local governments indorse said displays. This is a larger issue than just a plastic marry, it is the creeping of religion (Christianity) into government. Religion is already given a huge pass in our society. There is not only no persecution, but quite the opposite. Further, atheists of all stripes are a tiny minority. Speaking up is like a mouse squeaking. Most that object (myself included) are objecting to the unnecessary and destructive acceptance of promoting one religion over another using the government as a conduit. I would object if it were Islam, Buda or even Pastafairians.
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 11:49:50 PM
At 8/30/2015 8:08:53 PM, ErenBalkir wrote:

Many atheists are what christopher hitchens would call an anti-theist. Not only do they not believe in god but they hate the very concept. I am an anti-theist. I think religion is a curse and plague on society that holds everyone back and spreads conflict, violence and lies

They really aren't. (coming from my experience of them and from being an ex-atheist). None of the atheists I knew didn't care less.
the_titan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 3:55:58 AM
When did atheism stop being about separating the church and state and start it's ridiculous level of pettiness? : :

Christians who complain about atheists are pathetic also. Without atheists, Christians would get there whiny childish ways in this world.
ErenBalkir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 10:41:15 AM
At 8/30/2015 11:49:50 PM, Mobutu wrote:

They really aren't. (coming from my experience of them and from being an ex-atheist). None of the atheists I knew didn't care less.

I don't use Anecdotes to justify my views. Take the american atheists organization. They actively go after religion posting anti-religious posters. Many atheists do hate religion and those that don't usually call themselves agnostic (strange how I've noticed that)
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 10:46:02 AM

No, they have simply allowed themselves, for whatever reason, to be misled.

Something that can happen to all of us if we are not careful.

In fact the vast majority of theists have fallen prey to similar traps.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 10:57:44 AM
At 8/31/2015 10:46:02 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Independent thought is quite the opposite of being "misled". Take me to your leader ;)
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 12:23:42 PM
At 8/31/2015 10:41:15 AM, ErenBalkir wrote:

I don't use Anecdotes to justify my views. Take the american atheists organization. They actively go after religion posting anti-religious posters. Many atheists do hate religion and those that don't usually call themselves agnostic (strange how I've noticed that)

Just because atheists in these little skeptics circles (which are probably just a way for Richard Dawkins to earn money from anti-theists who are gullible enough to let him con them, but I digress) hate religious people doesn't mean atheists as a whole do.
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 12:25:40 PM
At 8/31/2015 12:23:42 PM, Mobutu wrote:

Just because atheists in these little skeptics circles (which are probably just a way for Richard Dawkins to earn money from anti-theists who are gullible enough to let him con them, but I digress) hate religious people doesn't mean atheists as a whole do.

http://www.spectator.co.uk... Here is my citation on the point of Richard Dawkins probably conning people.
ErenBalkir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 12:42:30 PM

Richard Dawkins said babies don't have any religion. That is true. There can be no such thing as a Christian baby, they aren't able to even understand what a christian is. The only way they are christian is in the sense that their parents are.
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 12:47:31 PM
At 8/31/2015 12:42:30 PM, ErenBalkir wrote:

Richard Dawkins said babies don't have any religion. That is true. There can be no such thing as a Christian baby, they aren't able to even understand what a christian is. The only way they are christian is in the sense that their parents are.

Where did I even talk about the religion of babies? What on Earth are you responding to?
ErenBalkir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 12:49:51 PM
At 8/31/2015 12:47:31 PM, Mobutu wrote:

Where did I even talk about the religion of babies? What on Earth are you responding to?

your link you gave me. I actually read it !
ErenBalkir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 12:51:27 PM

And i assumed the title was a pun on that article
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 12:55:14 PM

It is usually the extreme Christians who are pathetic, abusive creeps
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 12:57:55 PM
At 8/31/2015 12:49:51 PM, ErenBalkir wrote:

That wasn't the part of it I was referring to... I was talking about the ridiculous money this con artist charges just for discounts on a bloody T-shirt and for lunches and a chance (not guaranteed) to see one of his talks. at the cost of at least $85 a MONTH. At least Evangelicals give you some value for money.
ErenBalkir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 12:59:39 PM
At 8/31/2015 12:57:55 PM, Mobutu wrote:
At 8/31/2015 12:49:51 PM, ErenBalkir wrote:

That wasn't the part of it I was referring to... I was talking about the ridiculous money this con artist charges just for discounts on a bloody T-shirt and for lunches and a chance (not guaranteed) to see one of his talks. at the cost of at least $85 a MONTH. At least Evangelicals give you some value for money.

I thought you were a capitalist? lol
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 1:11:59 PM

I can understand how the notion of diminishing those who protest and are not lazy conformists, is very appealing for some Christians, being them the epitome of submissiveness. But please stop trying to make everyone as miserable and coward as you.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 1:24:35 PM

You should study some history about the killings for Christianity through the ages so you know why people are so eager to bury religion and treat the mentally ill genocidal believers

Religion - Christianity - Killings for Christianity

http://markhumphrys.com...
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 1:54:58 PM

Really? What organized body of non-believers has ever done that? Let's see, uh, NONE. Now, on the other hand, well, just read your history and see what happens when a religion takes over government. It never ends well.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 1:56:03 PM
At 8/31/2015 1:54:58 PM, dhardage wrote:

Really? What organized body of non-believers has ever done that? Let's see, uh, NONE. Now, on the other hand, well, just read your history and see what happens when a religion takes over government. It never ends well.

Sorry, read that all wrong. My apologies.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 1:59:52 PM
At 8/31/2015 10:57:44 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 8/31/2015 10:46:02 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Independent thought is quite the opposite of being "misled". Take me to your leader ;)

I can't, he is in heaven. My only leader is Christ.

Truly independent thought prevents people from being misled as you are. It takes things right back to basics. It also makes you a lot of enemies.

99% of those of you who speak of independent thought would not have the courage to do it truly. They rely on what others have thought before them, as you appear to do.

I rely only on the thoughts of God.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 2:04:30 PM
At 8/31/2015 1:24:35 PM, Harikrish wrote:

You should study some history about the killings for Christianity through the ages so you know why people are so eager to bury religion and treat the mentally ill genocidal believers

Religion - Christianity - Killings for Christianity

http://markhumphrys.com...

Christian history ended in the 1st century, at the end of which Christianity became corrupted.

The history of what we now call Christianity is a history of corruption and murder.

True Christianity has only in the last 150 years or so made an, at first shaky, but now steady, re-appearance, and is, as it was prophesied to be, very much a minority faith.