Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

What do mythical characters want from you ?

Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 5:59:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Well, what exactly do they want and why do they want it?

ALL invisible supernatural gods are mythical characters.

If you think one of them is not, please explain why you think or believe that.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 6:32:31 PM
At 9/1/2015 5:59:41 AM, Skyangel wrote:

According to the Bible, Bible God is Love.

He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8

We know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and he who remains in love remains in God, and God remains in him.
1 John 4:16

I know and feel Love, therefore I think it would be irrational to deny that love exists. But I agree, in this world we have mostly only fear. Love is not seen usually here, especially not in atheists.

I don"t believe in mythical characters and because they don"t exist, they don"t demand anything.

I believe in Bible God and he also doesn"t demand anything. He just offers eternal life for those who are righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

If person would want to have eternal life, he should be or become righteous.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 12:42:37 AM
At 9/1/2015 6:32:31 PM, 12_13 wrote:

According to the Bible, Bible God is Love.

He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8

We know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and he who remains in love remains in God, and God remains in him.
1 John 4:16

I know and feel Love, therefore I think it would be irrational to deny that love exists. But I agree, in this world we have mostly only fear. Love is not seen usually here, especially not in atheists.

I don"t believe in mythical characters and because they don"t exist, they don"t demand anything.

I believe in Bible God and he also doesn"t demand anything. He just offers eternal life for those who are righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

If person would want to have eternal life, he should be or become righteous.

If God is Love, why do people talk to him as if he was a character?
People who know what love is, don't talk to it as if it could hear them.

Love is an attitude which people live or not. It is not a character who can hear prayers.

Love does not offer eternal life to any individual.
The concept of eternal life is about life in general which goes on regardless of how many living things die.
All mortals die. None physically live for ever.
Anything immortal does not need any promises of eternal life or of being resurrected from death due to the fact that immortal things cannot die in the first place.
Alpha3141
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 2:24:23 AM

The invisible and supernatural are vital to reality.

We depend on the invisible and non-naturalistic characteristics of logic and causation, and things such as that. Yet we cannot deny their existence and importance.

Reason must come from reason. The ultimate origin of reason and even reality is either a personal or impersonal source. How can reason come from the absolute unreasoned and impersonal randomness? From nothing, nothing comes. From the illogical, illogical comes.

These things require a personal source. Our reality must have come from a personal source. Reason and order cannot come from impersonal, unguided, unreasoned chaos. Without some kind of "God", the only alternative is irrationality. We can infer that invisible and "supernatural" qualities exist (reasoning, concepts, logic, causation, etc.) and that a personal origin of realty exist (while the only alternative is obserd). The alternative is to have "no rhyme or reason" in reality.

The conclusion of "God" is not an illogical one. It is very logical, while the alternative is quite strange. To have no rational explanation for rationality is a very big problem.

Instead of strictly proving God, you disprove non-God, and thus affirm God's existence. Without God, we come to an obserd conclusion of reality. Its like saying a tornado can go through a junk yard and create an super computer. The rational comes from the rational. Only a rational, logical mind can do such a thing. Unreasoned and irrational processes cannot create a rational, sophisticated mind.
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 2:49:02 AM
Make believe and pretend + reality = make believe and pretend reality.

That is the logical choice of the many.

but there are those of the FEW that don't require a made up concept to do their personal thinking and take the RESPONSIBILITY for what they don't like.

Those of the FEW are FREE and don't require religious crutches or scientific vehicles made of theory.

the simple of it is that MOST CHOOSE to be LAZY daydreamers and clever schemers.
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 3:02:09 AM

They want your eternal soul, Skyangel. I'm not sure what they plan to do with it once they have it, but it's most likely not in your best interest. I'd write more, but I have to go feed my pet unicorn before it starts eating my garden gnomes again.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 3:06:54 AM

If a mythical character is created, I think it's primary purpose is to entertain and instruct. Much like science fiction, or superheros of today.

My experience with the skeptical is that they don't typically understand what a god is because they limit the application of it to that of the supernatural or metaphorical.

A god can be a mortal man who exists outside of a metaphorical application. Moses, for example, and the Judges of Israel, The Sumerian King Tammuz were all Mortal men called gods by the Bible.

The thing about the supernatural is that science can't test it, so it has no place in deciding whether or not it exists. It would simply be an individual's opinion, and probably and uneducated one at that.

The Hebrew word translated spirit is ruach, and basically means any invisible active force, which, depending upon the context can be breath, wind, mental inclination or spirit creatures. The Greek word that corresponds to the Hebrew ruach and is translated similarly is pneuma, from which comes the English pneumatic and pneumonia.

Now . . . let me ask the reader and the OP, is it possible that extraterrestrial beings exist that we can't see and are much higher beings than we are?

How do you know the so called supernatural doesn't exist?
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 3:27:18 AM
"How do you know the so called supernatural doesn't exist?"

Same way that I know that Santa, the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny and such are just concepts that are constructed to deceive and make some MONEY on the concept at the same time.

stupid sheeple need a Shepard to EXCITE their lazy ways and give them something to try and follow on a W I D E path of confusion & doubts.

Humans just replace the Santa and such with other popular make believe and pretend reality as that is the way of the many that are to LAZY to grow up and do their OWN thinking and take responsibility for their thoughts and actions.

What a concept, blame it on the invisible thought processor that must have a malfunction,lol...
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 3:29:08 AM
At 9/2/2015 3:06:54 AM, DavidHenson wrote:

If a mythical character is created, I think it's primary purpose is to entertain and instruct. Much like science fiction, or superheros of today.

My experience with the skeptical is that they don't typically understand what a god is because they limit the application of it to that of the supernatural or metaphorical.

A god can be a mortal man who exists outside of a metaphorical application. Moses, for example, and the Judges of Israel, The Sumerian King Tammuz were all Mortal men called gods by the Bible.

The thing about the supernatural is that science can't test it, so it has no place in deciding whether or not it exists. It would simply be an individual's opinion, and probably and uneducated one at that.

The Hebrew word translated spirit is ruach, and basically means any invisible active force, which, depending upon the context can be breath, wind, mental inclination or spirit creatures. The Greek word that corresponds to the Hebrew ruach and is translated similarly is pneuma, from which comes the English pneumatic and pneumonia.

Now . . . let me ask the reader and the OP, is it possible that extraterrestrial beings exist that we can't see and are much higher beings than we are?

How do you know the so called supernatural doesn't exist?

Sure it's possible that extraterrestrial beings exist that we cannot see or touch. But that doesn't mean they're gods. And if they exist then they would not be supernatural by definition.

Didn't human beings once believe that epilepsy was caused by demon possession? Perhaps we attribute the mysteries that we cannot explain to the supernatural out of habit. We should learn from our past mistakes.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 4:02:42 AM
At 9/2/2015 3:29:08 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Sure it's possible that extraterrestrial beings exist that we cannot see or touch. But that doesn't mean they're gods. And if they exist then they would not be supernatural by definition.

Didn't human beings once believe that epilepsy was caused by demon possession? Perhaps we attribute the mysteries that we cannot explain to the supernatural out of habit. We should learn from our past mistakes.

Excellent points, jody, I like the way you think, but tell me, is the supernatural only by definition that which is attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature, which it is, doesn't that negate the purpose of science? Science doesn't understand everything, so we can't very well assume that if science can't explain it it doesn't exist.

The Hebrew word translated god and it's variations come from a root word meaning simply, "mighty, strong." So a god is anything or anyone who is considered mighty or venerated. That is all a god is. So could these extraterrestrial beings be gods? Yes. If we knew they existed, they wouldn't be supernatural, as such, but that doesn't mean they can't be gods.

It may not be entirely accurate to assume that people once thought that epilepsy was caused by demon possession. Jesus healed an epileptic that his disciples were unable to help (Matthew 17:14-20) The Bible states the boy had a "speechless and deaf spirit," and that it periodically threw him into convulsions accompanied by foaming at the mouth. (Mark 9:14-29; Luke 9:37-43)

The Bible indicates that the boy was "demon possessed and epileptic" making a possible distinction between the two. (Matthew 4:24) The Greek word for Epilepsy is epilepsia, meaning literally "seizure," but the Bible uses the term seleniazomai, meaning, literally, "Be moonstruck." The KJV translates the term as "lunatick," but more modern translations use the term "epileptic"

The International Standard Bible Encyclopaedia: Says of the Greek word seleniazomai: "connected with the popular belief, widespread and of strange persistency, that the moon, in certain of its phases, is injurious to human beings, esp. in the case of diseases of a periodic or remittent character. There are no data by which to determine whether, in the N T times, this particular word represented a living and active belief or had passed into the state of usage in which the original metaphor disappears, and the word simply indicates the fact signified without reference to the idea embodied in the etymology. We still use the word "lunatic" to signify a person mentally diseased, although we have long since ceased to believe in the moon"s influence in such cases." - Edited by J. Orr, 1960, Vol. III, p. 1941.
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 4:26:06 AM
At 9/2/2015 4:02:42 AM, DavidHenson wrote:
At 9/2/2015 3:29:08 AM, jodybirdy wrote:

Excellent points, jody, I like the way you think, but tell me, is the supernatural only by definition that which is attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature, which it is, doesn't that negate the purpose of science? Science doesn't understand everything, so we can't very well assume that if science can't explain it it doesn't exist.

The point I was making here is that if it exists then it is by all definition part of the natural universe. That's true whether or not scientist have discovered it or explained it's existence. That would mean that it isn't supernatural.

The Hebrew word translated god and it's variations come from a root word meaning simply, "mighty, strong." So a god is anything or anyone who is considered mighty or venerated. That is all a god is. So could these extraterrestrial beings be gods? Yes. If we knew they existed, they wouldn't be supernatural, as such, but that doesn't mean they can't be gods.

Word play here. I should have been more specific. I was referring to supernatural gods.

It may not be entirely accurate to assume that people once thought that epilepsy was caused by demon possession. Jesus healed an epileptic that his disciples were unable to help (Matthew 17:14-20) The Bible states the boy had a "speechless and deaf spirit," and that it periodically threw him into convulsions accompanied by foaming at the mouth. (Mark 9:14-29; Luke 9:37-43)

The Bible indicates that the boy was "demon possessed and epileptic" making a possible distinction between the two. (Matthew 4:24) The Greek word for Epilepsy is epilepsia, meaning literally "seizure," but the Bible uses the term seleniazomai, meaning, literally, "Be moonstruck." The KJV translates the term as "lunatick," but more modern translations use the term "epileptic"

I would interpret that as he was believed to be demon possessed and that it resulted in seizures. Did they believe his seizures were caused by possession? Probably.

The International Standard Bible Encyclopaedia: Says of the Greek word seleniazomai: "connected with the popular belief, widespread and of strange persistency, that the moon, in certain of its phases, is injurious to human beings, esp. in the case of diseases of a periodic or remittent character. There are no data by which to determine whether, in the N T times, this particular word represented a living and active belief or had passed into the state of usage in which the original metaphor disappears, and the word simply indicates the fact signified without reference to the idea embodied in the etymology. We still use the word "lunatic" to signify a person mentally diseased, although we have long since ceased to believe in the moon"s influence in such cases." - Edited by J. Orr, 1960, Vol. III, p. 1941.

Many religious sects still subscribe to the practice of expelling demons. Words can be twisted and interpretations are often subjective.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 7:45:52 AM
At 9/2/2015 3:02:09 AM, jodybirdy wrote:

They want your eternal soul, Skyangel. I'm not sure what they plan to do with it once they have it, but it's most likely not in your best interest. I'd write more, but I have to go feed my pet unicorn before it starts eating my garden gnomes again.

What else does your unicorn eat besides garden gnomes?
earthowner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 7:48:51 AM

If you think one of them is not, please explain why you think or believe that. : :

You have never heard the voice of God so you deny him as our Creator. You are no different than any atheist or theist who believes in their own interpretations of the scriptures.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 7:49:14 AM
At 9/2/2015 7:45:52 AM, Skyangel wrote:

Souls.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 7:58:42 AM
At 9/2/2015 2:24:23 AM, Alpha3141 wrote:

Define supernatural.
As far as I am aware, all existing things are perfectly natural and not beyond the understanding of any intelligent people.
Love is natural and not beyond human understanding.

We depend on the invisible and non-naturalistic characteristics of logic and causation, and things such as that. Yet we cannot deny their existence and importance.

Reason must come from reason. The ultimate origin of reason and even reality is either a personal or impersonal source. How can reason come from the absolute unreasoned and impersonal randomness? From nothing, nothing comes. From the illogical, illogical comes.

Logic is perfectly natural to normal intelligent people.
It is obviously foreign to those lost in fantasy land.

These things require a personal source. Our reality must have come from a personal source. Reason and order cannot come from impersonal, unguided, unreasoned chaos. Without some kind of "God", the only alternative is irrationality. We can infer that invisible and "supernatural" qualities exist (reasoning, concepts, logic, causation, etc.) and that a personal origin of realty exist (while the only alternative is obserd). The alternative is to have "no rhyme or reason" in reality.

The personal source of your personal reality is you, your mind, your perception, your understanding, your judgements, prejudices etc.
Reality is the creator of reality as well as being the creator of all delusions and illusions.

The conclusion of "God" is not an illogical one. It is very logical, while the alternative is quite strange. To have no rational explanation for rationality is a very big problem.

An invisible supernatural character is not a rational explanation for reality.
Reality comes from reality itself. That is the most logical explanation if you have a logical mind.

Instead of strictly proving God, you disprove non-God, and thus affirm God's existence. Without God, we come to an obserd conclusion of reality. Its like saying a tornado can go through a junk yard and create an super computer. The rational comes from the rational. Only a rational, logical mind can do such a thing. Unreasoned and irrational processes cannot create a rational, sophisticated mind.

Your above statement is irrational if you define God as an invisible supernatural character.
Do you believe God is an invisible supernatural character or something else?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 8:05:00 AM
At 9/2/2015 7:48:51 AM, earthowner wrote:

If you think one of them is not, please explain why you think or believe that. : :

You have never heard the voice of God so you deny him as our Creator. You are no different than any atheist or theist who believes in their own interpretations of the scriptures.

Hows life going for you Brad?
I see you are still following your own deluded thoughts.
earthowner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 8:08:16 AM
At 9/2/2015 8:05:00 AM, Skyangel wrote:

I see you are still following your own deluded thoughts. : :

My thoughts are not known by you because you do not listen to them or understand them. One day in the future, you will know Me very well.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 8:09:05 AM
At 9/2/2015 7:49:14 AM, jodybirdy wrote:

Souls.

Do you get those from the religious institutions or from the supermarket?
How many flavors do they come in?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 8:10:43 AM
At 9/2/2015 8:08:16 AM, earthowner wrote:

My thoughts are not known by you because you do not listen to them or understand them. One day in the future, you will know Me very well.

I know you better than you know yourself Brad.
earthowner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 8:12:58 AM
At 9/2/2015 8:10:43 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 9/2/2015 8:08:16 AM, earthowner wrote:

I know you better than you know yourself Brad. : :

You have never known Me because you don't believe in Me. You only believe your own interpretations and observations which have deceived you from the Truth.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 8:13:24 AM
At 9/2/2015 8:09:05 AM, Skyangel wrote:

Souls.

I find them on the Internet. Most of then are lost so I give them a good home in my unicorn's belly.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 8:22:48 AM
At 9/2/2015 8:13:24 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 9/2/2015 8:09:05 AM, Skyangel wrote:

Souls.

I find them on the Internet. Most of then are lost so I give them a good home in my unicorn's belly.

Is that like the story of Jonah in the whale?
Do the souls keep getting recycled in one end and out the other? :-)
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 5:18:05 PM
At 9/2/2015 12:42:37 AM, Skyangel wrote:

It is the Bible that says so. If you don"t agree with it, then you probably have non Biblical idea of God and you don"t really know the Bible God.

Maybe not earthly peoples love.
Alpha3141
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 11:49:10 AM
At 9/2/2015 7:58:42 AM, Skyangel wrote:

Define supernatural.
As far as I am aware, all existing things are perfectly natural and not beyond the understanding of any intelligent people.

The personal source of your personal reality is you, your mind, your perception, your understanding, your judgements, prejudices etc.
Reality is the creator of reality as well as being the creator of all delusions and illusions.

Reality comes from reality itself. That is the most logical explanation if you have a logical mind.

Your above statement is irrational if you define God as an invisible supernatural character.

You mistaken what "supernatural" means. You appear to define it as something that is illogical or irrational. But that begs the questions, how to you know this? You cannot simply deny non-material things out of hand.
By supernatural, that could mean "immaterial things" or "a mythical thing that can never happen". I refer to the first definition mostly. For example, logic isn't a material thing that you can see or hold onto. You do not deny that. But then you deny God.
I do not see your reasoning, you appear to just dismiss everything i say as being wrong without any clear reason.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 10:08:45 AM
At 9/2/2015 5:18:05 PM, 12_13 wrote:
At 9/2/2015 12:42:37 AM, Skyangel wrote:

It is the Bible that says so. If you don"t agree with it, then you probably have non Biblical idea of God and you don"t really know the Bible God.

Love is an attitude not a character.
The biblical God is a personification of a principle of living in Love.

Maybe not earthly peoples love.

Mythical characters have no love for anyone. Human love is the only love humans know.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 10:16:07 AM
At 9/3/2015 11:49:10 AM, Alpha3141 wrote:
At 9/2/2015 7:58:42 AM, Skyangel wrote:

Define supernatural.

You mistaken what "supernatural" means. You appear to define it as something that is illogical or irrational. But that begs the questions, how to you know this? You cannot simply deny non-material things out of hand.
By supernatural, that could mean "immaterial things" or "a mythical thing that can never happen". I refer to the first definition mostly. For example, logic isn't a material thing that you can see or hold onto. You do not deny that. But then you deny God.
I do not see your reasoning, you appear to just dismiss everything i say as being wrong without any clear reason.

http://www.merriam-webster.com...
unable to be explained by science or the laws of nature : of, relating to, or seeming to come from magic, a god, etc.

Magic is not illogical or irrational. Magic is perfectly explainable and understandable.
Gods are also not unexplainable. They are merely personifications of natural forces.
Non material things like human thoughts, emotions and logic are also not unexplainable.
I do not deny any supernatural gods. I understand they are mythical characters which exist in fictions. Those fictions are human creations.
I do not deny any real gods either. I understand we are all gods.
All existing things say "I AM that I AM" simply by existing.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 12:50:38 AM
Oh moon lit night,
Talk to me.
As I hear the chimes
Through every leaf,
I plead to thee,
Softly,
Quietly,
Please,
Talk to me,
Tell me what I need to be.
In this night,
The only one that speaks,
Is my darkened soul
Along side of me,
My shadow
Which I know will sleep,
When only silence
Stays beneath;
Forever,
Eventually.

=) Poem i wrote awhile back. The meaning is referring to the only supernatural thing one knows, is themselves; no one is listening other than you no matter how hard you pray. Does the shadow get to dream? Who knows, "Eventually" do your eyes open again... that's the mystery.