Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

What is more logical: Multiple or one god?

Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 11:33:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is a if "god" is real question. Feel free to tell me how there is no god ... and, you will just waste your breath bc i can confidently say i agnostically know.

I am curious which would make more sense. To me, multiple gods makes more sense. However, i define god differently. I don't think it is just one intelligent designer that knows all ... i think immortality evolved the same as the mortality we know. That there are different characters such as builders ... These gods could have gotten together with the "musician/artist" gods and created this art we call reality. Anyways ... it is more logical to me that there would be more than one god (if there is any)... what do you think.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 12:54:14 AM
At 9/1/2015 11:33:02 PM, Outplayz wrote:
This is a if "god" is real question. Feel free to tell me how there is no god ... and, you will just waste your breath bc i can confidently say i agnostically know.

I am curious which would make more sense. To me, multiple gods makes more sense. However, i define god differently. I don't think it is just one intelligent designer that knows all ... i think immortality evolved the same as the mortality we know. That there are different characters such as builders ... These gods could have gotten together with the "musician/artist" gods and created this art we call reality. Anyways ... it is more logical to me that there would be more than one god (if there is any)... what do you think.

Since the word "God" is both plural and singular, the question makes about as much sense as asking " What is more logical..... Multiple or one sheep.?"
When you look at the sheep in the paddock, how many are you looking at ?

One is just as logical as many.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 12:58:56 AM
At 9/2/2015 12:54:14 AM, Skyangel wrote:

Since the word "God" is both plural and singular, the question makes about as much sense as asking " What is more logical..... Multiple or one sheep.?"

Darn you sky ;p why do you always hit me with such logic? You are a beautiful person in my opinion ... yeah, i'm flirting ;)
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 1:12:30 AM
At 9/2/2015 12:58:56 AM, Outplayz wrote:

Darn you sky ;p why do you always hit me with such logic? You are a beautiful person in my opinion ... yeah, i'm flirting ;)

You asked for logic so I gave it to you because I am an intelligent designer. ;-)
How many loves are there?
God is Love.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 1:29:07 AM
At 9/2/2015 1:12:30 AM, Skyangel wrote:

You asked for logic so I gave it to you because I am an intelligent designer. ;-)

I couldn't have said it more beautifully even if i wanted to ;)

Thankfully as many as i want lol. Making another smile is my mission.

God is Love.

Love is the only god; so is friendship =)
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 1:36:00 AM
At 9/2/2015 1:29:07 AM, Outplayz wrote:

God is Love.

People who have REAL friends and friendship don't need invisible ones.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 1:53:34 AM
At 9/2/2015 1:36:00 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 9/2/2015 1:29:07 AM, Outplayz wrote:

God is Love.

People who have REAL friends and friendship don't need invisible ones.

Amen =)
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 2:40:32 AM

Wow..what a great Thread! Thanks.

Your Question is one that has been asked for millenia: Monotheism vs. Poly theism. And I can tell you that man has believed in the latter for a lot longer time of his history than the former. Still do in many religions: Hinduism; Wiccan; and many (all?) Native American and other indigenous peoples have more than one God. These are usually Nature Gods. Spirits. Native Americans (whose religion I like alot!) have gods for the EArth, weather, animals, etc. They are practically like Pantheists. Nature IS God(s).

And it DOES make some sense. There is a belief called animism that thinks ALL things have spirits in them. a Life Force. Even rocks. There have been philosophers of this school. I think Renee DeCartes was one. The "I think so I am" dude. LOL.

As far as an art or music God, the Greeks believed that. (they too had many many Gods, as did the Romans, who borrowed a Lot from the Greeks, and then changed some of the Gods' names!) But year, the Art Godess was "Muse." People still say "the Muse is upon me" when they are artistically inspired. But for your idea that more Gods makes more sense, well, to me I would have to say that it might only in the sense of Deism, and then if you would call those "Gods" some sort of Forces. Non personal. But the idea of manypersonal Gods like those of the Roman, I cannot buy, and think it just creates MORE questions than One Creator God.

Which is the God I personally believe in. Before I was Saved--and Touched by this One Creator God--I was an atheist, but I always figured if there WAS something paranormal (beyond normal) or spiritual out there, it might be a Deist God. No!! LOL...I woldnt' even call It a God. Maybe..and it was a BIG maybe for me. something that like you said, Evolved from Us. from Our Minds and then became some sort of Universe's "Mind." (I think there was a Catholic priest, back maybe 100 years ago, who thought this too. I think he was also a scientist. Anthropolgy maybe, did some fossil and Evolution work, before he was ex-communicated. Frenchman I think. He had a thoery once that I read and it was a little interesting, even to my athiest self. I think I cam across him in fact during a school class. He has aname for some sort of Layer up above the Earth that was composed of the Mind, risen up and Evolved from all of us. I gotta look this guy up now! LOL. I'll get back.

But I went off..sorry. So yeah, I am a bleiver in the One True Creator God. I have reasons for this I wont go into. What we DO have tobe careful of with knowing the One God 'Creator" is NOT to give IT a gender! Or to saddle IT with human qualities and limits. This is done waaaay to much in the OT I think. But its a necessity in a way since our minds are too limited to be able to Know His Fullness and Power. But as soon as we try to describe Him (we use Him for ease and Brevity) we really get farther away. God (the ONE) must be felt and experienced. It's tactile. (this is one thing that as far as I know those relgions with Poly Gods did not have! No "feeling" of their Gods.They just worshipped and prayed to them and figured they all controlled their own areas, like the weather, thunder, War, Arts, etc. To me this is a very INFERIOR God experience. Not enjoyable and enriching, like mine.

So.................God Bless you! (Note: NOT "Gods Bless you!")
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 3:06:00 AM
2 headed god with 6 eyes per head. But collective consciousness. The left head shpeels out love. The right head shpeels out wrath. The god would have a zebra bottom half and a humanlike upper half. He would wear a blue cape and carry a bucket of salsa while winking and smiling awkwardly and having tics. :-|
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 3:08:24 AM
At 9/2/2015 2:40:32 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

So.................God Bless you! (Note: NOT "Gods Bless you!")

Lol witty.

Okay, so you say that you were shown a way by the true god. I won't ask you how, bc i know this can be a complicated answer ... and usually, it isn't just one experience. I would define it as experiences put together like a puzzle that just doesn't make sense how well it worked out to make the picture ... (well, this is why i am spiritual anyways.)

But, cannot this power just be you. I am stuck on the fact that we are all gods. Not the ordinary definition of god, just immortal. However, i believe there are two states. One of mortality (living the experience) one of immortality (preparing the experience). In the immortal state we know what we are doing, like a god per say. As in, we can see what our destiny will be if we do "x" move. So in our immortal state, your definition of a god is appropriate; it is beyond us. So can't it be said that i prepared these experiences to have a human experience that i wanted?

I do believe we all started from somewhere. You can call this the first source (this can correlate to the thought of one god). However, i think we evolved through this one source. I'm still thinking about this part, but what i think so far is that this first source was a solipsistic god. As in at first it was alone, but not knowing it can be social; alone was okay. After knowing what it means to be social ... it would never want to go back to being one. My question is have we already been given free will, except in our immortal state? if so, there are multiple gods now, formed from the first ... This is my speculation anyways. i think acceptance of this makes us all powerful instead of not. This is one of my theories anyways ... it makes the most sense to me so far. It does bc the conclusion of what you need to do is the same in the mortal state or immortal; live your experience to its fullest and trust yourself; become self aware and be powerful.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 3:09:39 AM
At 9/2/2015 3:06:00 AM, Sooner wrote:
2 headed god with 6 eyes per head. But collective consciousness. The left head shpeels out love. The right head shpeels out wrath. The god would have a zebra bottom half and a humanlike upper half. He would wear a blue cape and carry a bucket of salsa while winking and smiling awkwardly and having tics. :-|

Lol, if only i was in your mind to imagine this o.o
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 3:30:27 AM

Multiple gods most certainly makes more sense and I'll tell you why. The ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, Common Greek and Modern English, along with any other language I can think of all have a similar definition of a god. That of anything or anyone that is attributed a might greater than the one attributing it, or is venerated.

This is why by definition atheism is a nonsensical paradigm. Atheism, by definition, makes the claim that there is no God(s). There are billions of Gods, and their position as such is not dependent upon literal existence. Not to mention that a mortal man who undoubtedly exists can be a God.

So, for example, I don't believe in nor do I worship Zeus. I don't believe Zeus existed. Zeus is a god. Moses was a man, and the Bible says he was a God to Aaron and Pharaoh.
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 3:30:46 AM
At 9/2/2015 3:09:39 AM, Outplayz wrote:

How about this god:

12 seperate bodies completely seperate but all as one mind. 12 time travelers who are all the same person but from 12 parts of history. When they/he gets angry, they/he gsther 100 million versions of themself across time and wage battle as an army with one collective motive and consciousness. Each one's body is as a tornado with a humanlike ghost in the middle of a swarming wind of fire. When they choose to they join together to make a kracken like entity that breaths fire, wind, and ice. The god forms itself from the ocean depths, arising from the water as a giant water spirit carrying a shield of gold and a rod of crystal and silver. The rod commands all insects animals and plants to its will. If ypu peave it off you are swarmed by wasps, tied up by plant vines, surrounded by goats and tickled with feathers until you pee yourself. What say you?
Bewusstsein98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 3:40:05 AM
... To me, multiple gods makes more sense... Anyways ... it is more logical to me that there would be more than one god (if there is any)... what do you think.

To be honest both, one God and multiple Gods, are wrong or at least make each other a huge contradiction. If there is one God, why doesn't he revels himself equally to every people instead of just a few devotes to him letting others that are believing in others Gods go to hell with their "pagan" thoughts, and if there are multiple Gods happens the same, why don`t all Gods reveal to everyone. The simple fact that many people believe in different Gods is one of the thousands of reasons both one God or multiple are out of combat.
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 4:04:59 AM
At 9/2/2015 3:40:05 AM, Bewusstsein98 wrote:
... To me, multiple gods makes more sense... Anyways ... it is more logical to me that there would be more than one god (if there is any)... what do you think.

To be honest both, one God and multiple Gods, are wrong or at least make each other a huge contradiction. If there is one God, why doesn't he revels himself equally to every people instead of just a few devotes to him letting others that are believing in others Gods go to hell with their "pagan" thoughts, and if there are multiple Gods happens the same, why don`t all Gods reveal to everyone. The simple fact that many people believe in different Gods is one of the thousands of reasons both one God or multiple are out of combat.

It could be a test to see if you choose life over death, hope over hopelesness, light over darkness, and if not for yourself at least for your loved ones. Then again, I may be a bot...
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 7:23:51 AM
At 9/2/2015 3:30:27 AM, DavidHenson wrote:

Multiple gods most certainly makes more sense and I'll tell you why. The ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, Common Greek and Modern English, along with any other language I can think of all have a similar definition of a god. That of anything or anyone that is attributed a might greater than the one attributing it, or is venerated.

This is why by definition atheism is a nonsensical paradigm. Atheism, by definition, makes the claim that there is no God(s).

Wrong. As an atheist I make no such claim. I am a non believer. I have no belief about a deistic, panentheistic, panentheistic, and most theistic gods. It is only the Christian God that I outright reject since I have knowledge of the nonsensical claims associated with that god.

There are billions of Gods, and their position as such is not dependent upon literal existence. Not to mention that a mortal man who undoubtedly exists can be a God.

So, for example, I don't believe in nor do I worship Zeus. I don't believe Zeus existed. Zeus is a god. Moses was a man, and the Bible says he was a God to Aaron and Pharaoh.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
earthowner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 8:02:16 AM
At 9/2/2015 2:40:32 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Wow..what a great Thread! Thanks.

Your Question is one that has been asked for millenia: Monotheism vs. Poly theism. And I can tell you that man has believed in the latter for a lot longer time of his history than the former. Still do in many religions: Hinduism; Wiccan; and many (all?) Native American and other indigenous peoples have more than one God. These are usually Nature Gods. Spirits. Native Americans (whose religion I like alot!) have gods for the EArth, weather, animals, etc. They are practically like Pantheists. Nature IS God(s).

And it DOES make some sense. There is a belief called animism that thinks ALL things have spirits in them. a Life Force. Even rocks. There have been philosophers of this school. I think Renee DeCartes was one. The "I think so I am" dude. LOL.

As far as an art or music God, the Greeks believed that. (they too had many many Gods, as did the Romans, who borrowed a Lot from the Greeks, and then changed some of the Gods' names!) But year, the Art Godess was "Muse." People still say "the Muse is upon me" when they are artistically inspired. But for your idea that more Gods makes more sense, well, to me I would have to say that it might only in the sense of Deism, and then if you would call those "Gods" some sort of Forces. Non personal. But the idea of manypersonal Gods like those of the Roman, I cannot buy, and think it just creates MORE questions than One Creator God.

Which is the God I personally believe in. Before I was Saved--and Touched by this One Creator God--I was an atheist, but I always figured if there WAS something paranormal (beyond normal) or spiritual out there, it might be a Deist God. No!! LOL...I woldnt' even call It a God. Maybe..and it was a BIG maybe for me. something that like you said, Evolved from Us. from Our Minds and then became some sort of Universe's "Mind." (I think there was a Catholic priest, back maybe 100 years ago, who thought this too. I think he was also a scientist. Anthropolgy maybe, did some fossil and Evolution work, before he was ex-communicated. Frenchman I think. He had a thoery once that I read and it was a little interesting, even to my athiest self. I think I cam across him in fact during a school class. He has aname for some sort of Layer up above the Earth that was composed of the Mind, risen up and Evolved from all of us. I gotta look this guy up now! LOL. I'll get back.

But I went off..sorry. So yeah, I am a bleiver in the One True Creator God. I have reasons for this I wont go into. What we DO have tobe careful of with knowing the One God 'Creator" is NOT to give IT a gender! Or to saddle IT with human qualities and limits. This is done waaaay to much in the OT I think. But its a necessity in a way since our minds are too limited to be able to Know His Fullness and Power. But as soon as we try to describe Him (we use Him for ease and Brevity) we really get farther away. God (the ONE) must be felt and experienced. It's tactile. (this is one thing that as far as I know those relgions with Poly Gods did not have! No "feeling" of their Gods.They just worshipped and prayed to them and figured they all controlled their own areas, like the weather, thunder, War, Arts, etc. To me this is a very INFERIOR God experience. Not enjoyable and enriching, like mine.

So.................God Bless you! (Note: NOT "Gods Bless you!") : :

Isaiah 45:
20: "Assemble yourselves and come, draw near together, you survivors of the nations! They have no knowledge who carry about their wooden idols, and keep on praying to a god that cannot save.
21: Declare and present your case; let them take counsel together! Who told this long ago? Who declared it of old? Was it not I, the LORD? And there is no other god besides me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none besides me.
22: "Turn to me and be saved, all the ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other.
23: By myself I have sworn, from my mouth has gone forth in righteousness a word that shall not return: `To me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.'
24: "Only in the LORD, it shall be said of me, are righteousness and strength; to him shall come and be ashamed, all who were incensed against him.
25: In the LORD all the offspring of Israel shall triumph and glory."
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 8:08:17 AM

Multiple. If you're going to believe in one you might as well go all the way and have lots of gods.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 6:07:39 AM
At 9/2/2015 3:30:46 AM, Sooner wrote:
At 9/2/2015 3:09:39 AM, Outplayz wrote:

How about this god:

12 seperate bodies completely seperate but all as one mind. 12 time travelers who are all the same person but from 12 parts of history. When they/he gets angry, they/he gsther 100 million versions of themself across time and wage battle as an army with one collective motive and consciousness. Each one's body is as a tornado with a humanlike ghost in the middle of a swarming wind of fire. When they choose to they join together to make a kracken like entity that breaths fire, wind, and ice. The god forms itself from the ocean depths, arising from the water as a giant water spirit carrying a shield of gold and a rod of crystal and silver. The rod commands all insects animals and plants to its will. If ypu peave it off you are swarmed by wasps, tied up by plant vines, surrounded by goats and tickled with feathers until you pee yourself. What say you?

What do i say? That was awesome. I actually was able to visualize every word. You would be quite the immortal opponent or ... mortal story teller. You can be both in my eyes.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 6:11:31 AM
At 9/2/2015 3:30:27 AM, DavidHenson wrote:

This is why by definition atheism is a nonsensical paradigm. Atheism, by definition, makes the claim that there is no God(s). There are billions of Gods, and their position as such is not dependent upon literal existence. Not to mention that a mortal man who undoubtedly exists can be a God.

I do believe in an endless stream of souls. Makes more sense ... why? Bc we move forward, not backwards.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 6:17:01 AM
At 9/2/2015 3:40:05 AM, Bewusstsein98 wrote:

Could the reason they don't show themselves be that we are them?
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 6:24:41 AM
At 9/2/2015 8:08:17 AM, jodybirdy wrote:

Multiple. If you're going to believe in one you might as well go all the way and have lots of gods.

You're the all in type, i like that ;)