Jump to topic:

Destiny?

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 9:03:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This hasn't been discussed a lot and I'm curious to find out who believes in such a... strange idea.

Do you believe that you have a "destiny"?

If so, why?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 9:05:04 PM
At 9/5/2010 9:03:14 PM, annhasle wrote:
This hasn't been discussed a lot and I'm curious to find out who believes in such a... strange idea.

If so, why?

Yes. Determinism.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 9:08:27 PM

I spose I kinda do :)

If so, why?

well...

I believe I am a physical being... a determined being...

I believe that there are reasons I do those things I do...

and reasons behind what I can and cannot do...

and reasons for why things are the way that they are...
INCLUDING that thing... that is me...

the nature of ME and the nature of other things being as it is... and as it MUST be...

Other things MUST BE too... and My "story" will go a certain way.

DESTINY!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 9:12:29 PM
Yes. I am destined to live with the consequences of my actions.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 9:20:20 PM
At 9/5/2010 9:05:04 PM, Reasoning wrote:

If so, why?

Yes. Determinism.

That's more like cause and effect in my opinion... Destiny is more of a predetermined course of events whereas determinism just proves that one thing effects another which isn't that surprising.

I can see how behavioral determinism can predict, to a certain degree, what may happen wthin someones life. But I don't believe it to be the same meaning as destiny, where it WILL happen with 100% assurance.

Unless you believe Determinism to prove that everything is fated to happen which means humans have no control over there lives (fatalism, right?).

But that brings in the "God factor". If it is "predetermined", how can that be? Isn't that contingent on a god existing?
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 9:25:02 PM
Let me clear this up... I'm referring to "destiny" as the idea of it being a predetermined course of events, with complete certainty.

For example:

It was my destiny to become a doctor.

Marrying ___ was my destiny.

This is different than "living with your consequences" since that's just logic. You reap what you sow. Basic cause and effect.

A destiny is something you're born with.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 9:26:21 PM
At 9/5/2010 9:25:02 PM, annhasle wrote:
Let me clear this up... I'm referring to "destiny" as the idea of it being a predetermined course of events, with complete certainty.

For example:

This is different than "living with your consequences"
I know, I'm being facetious.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 9:29:39 PM
At 9/5/2010 9:26:21 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

For example:

This is different than "living with your consequences"
I know, I'm being facetious.

Thanks for that. -_-
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 9:37:38 PM

indeed... your nature determines what you do.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 9:39:58 PM
At 9/5/2010 9:12:29 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Yes. I am destined to live with the consequences of my actions.

you just believe there's magic in the decision-making bit.

Metaphysics:
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 9:56:44 PM

If so, why?

Yes. Determinism.

No. Compatibilism :P
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 9:58:11 PM
Eh, who knows. I know things come up to keep me alive at just the right times. Might be causse its human nature to want to live, but idk.

If there's a destiny there's little/nothing you can do to change it, so why worry?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 9:59:18 PM
At 9/5/2010 9:56:44 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

If so, why?

Yes. Determinism.

Well, there is no use arguing with you since it was already determined that you'd be wrong on this subject. :P
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 10:50:52 PM
At 9/5/2010 9:37:38 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

No, your nature guides your decision making and helps determine your actions. But that is more of a play by play, than a set chain of events.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 11:06:39 PM
At 9/5/2010 10:54:24 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I guess you could say I do.

Why?
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 11:18:32 PM
At 9/5/2010 9:59:18 PM, Reasoning wrote:

If so, why?

Yes. Determinism.

Well, there is no use arguing with you since it was already determined that you'd be wrong on this subject. :P

Well, at least I'd have an excuse. You're choosing to be wrong.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 11:20:33 PM
At 9/5/2010 11:18:32 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 9/5/2010 9:59:18 PM, Reasoning wrote:

If so, why?

Yes. Determinism.

Well, at least I'd have an excuse. You're choosing to be wrong.

Win.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 11:28:31 PM
Ogan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 3:56:24 AM
Don't know what you think of this, but the ancient philosophers taught - to be as simple as possible - that Destiny is self-engendered by Freewill for its own instruction. They stated it was impossible to achieve much in a single life - therefore regular reincarnation was necessary for an individual to evolve. Whenever they wished to explain something they would do so in a kind of picture language not understood now by most. An example: They said there were 3 'gods' in charge of Destiny: Karma Nemesis or Necessity - who ruled the Past, 'Jupiter' or Providence - who ruled the Present, and a Mystery God held secret in the sanctuary and only revealed to the tried and tested Priesthood, who ruled the Future.
Jupiter was said to have 2 pots, one white and one black, which were filled from the receptacle of Necessity with our good and bad deeds (thoughts, words and deeds) and poured upon us in the Present by 'Jupiter' as certain mysterious lessons.
They taught that, unbeknown to us, that we are creative gods in the making, and that ultimately what we attune our minds too is what we draw toward us for our instruction - however pleasant or painful.
They also taught to the 'multitude' that we can adjust our Future by only attuning with the Good, whilst the Priesthood, by "living a rough life were polished to Goodness", thus avoiding evils "which otherwise await us in a future period of time".
Fascinating stuff - don't you think?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 5:11:53 AM
At 9/5/2010 10:50:52 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 9/5/2010 9:37:38 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

No, your nature guides your decision making and helps determine your actions. But that is more of a play by play, than a set chain of events.

are there reasons you choose as you do?
like what you care about perhaps?

are there reasons you care about what you do?
like how you feel when certain things happen perhaps?

are there reasons you feel certain ways when certain things happen?
Like Neurons Perhaps!!! :)

do you believe we're made of Physical stuff... or some combination of physical stuff and Magic???

Metaphysics:
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 6:12:24 AM

Do you believe that you have a "destiny"?:

I doubt it. Destiny implies control beyond your control. So whether you are religious or irreligious, it's the same problem. If you have a destiny, who or what is calling the shots? If you have a destiny, then you've lost the ability to truly make actions independent of anything else. Free-will would lose its meaning.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 6:25:22 AM
At 9/6/2010 3:56:24 AM, Ogan wrote:
Don't know what you think of this, but the ancient philosophers taught - to be as simple as possible - that Destiny is self-engendered by Freewill for its own instruction. They stated it was impossible to achieve much in a single life - therefore regular reincarnation was necessary for an individual to evolve. Whenever they wished to explain something they would do so in a kind of picture language not understood now by most. An example: They said there were 3 'gods' in charge of Destiny: Karma Nemesis or Necessity - who ruled the Past, 'Jupiter' or Providence - who ruled the Present, and a Mystery God held secret in the sanctuary and only revealed to the tried and tested Priesthood, who ruled the Future.
Jupiter was said to have 2 pots, one white and one black, which were filled from the receptacle of Necessity with our good and bad deeds (thoughts, words and deeds) and poured upon us in the Present by 'Jupiter' as certain mysterious lessons.
They taught that, unbeknown to us, that we are creative gods in the making, and that ultimately what we attune our minds too is what we draw toward us for our instruction - however pleasant or painful.
They also taught to the 'multitude' that we can adjust our Future by only attuning with the Good, whilst the Priesthood, by "living a rough life were polished to Goodness", thus avoiding evils "which otherwise await us in a future period of time".

i didn't think so :/

Metaphysics:
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 7:03:36 AM
Dunno. I know that there were a few people that came into my life at certain, and key times that changed everything for me. Had they not come would there have been others that would have filled their shoes? I doubt it. Was there something particular about my nature that was especially receptive to their messages? Maybe. I will say that had not someone come into my path my life would be, well...uncertain. My talents and nature play a role, but the circumstances that i have been put in were unique and played perhaps a bigger role. Destiny - don't know and don't really care.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2010 7:58:34 AM

If so, why?

it depends on what you mean by destiny. in biblical days when they said destiny they were still thinking of something they controlled.
I believe their is an intended purpose SET ASIDE for my life's future for me. But I do not think it is 100% inevitable it will occur in indifference to my choices.

Why? partly because I take what I believe from my Methodist church witch is strongly Armenian http://en.wikipedia.org...
partly because in the book of Tobit 6:17 it uses the specific language SET ASIDE when referring to Tobias and Sarah being made for each other before God created anything. http://bible.oremus.org...
and partly because I see no reason why time itself should be considered a static thing.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2010 12:02:29 PM

On behalf of the Stoics, I would like to point out that your "information", although mildly interesting, is a garbled New Age misrepresentation of history. Karma and re-incarnation are Hindu concepts; Jupiter is Roman. There were no "ancient philosophers" who taught anything even remotely similar to what you posit; the two cultures had virtually no contact.

Greek mythology had the three sisters of Fate, the Moirae, who ruled men's destinies and cut the thread of our life when it came time for us to die. The Romans, as with so many other things, adopted them for themselves and called them the Parcae. Same job, different title. The Romans also worshiped the goddess Fortuna, literally the goddess of fortune and chance; if you were a Roman, she had a lot to do with your "destiny."

The Stoics believed in a somewhat deterministic world; one's fate was set, but one's reaction to it was not. By living a balanced life, indifferent to passion and pain, one could be content regardless of one's fate.

Study Greek philosophy a little sometime, instead of spouting hearsay. You'll find that so much of our culture, so many of the patterns people's thoughts run in these days, go back to debates held in the stoa and academies of ancient Greece.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2010 12:12:44 PM
They taught that, unbeknown to us, that we are creative gods in the making...

And you had to go and post on the interwebz, ruining their surprise!
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2010 12:32:58 PM

I do think its fascinating. others don't agree but whatever.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Ogan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2010 1:54:53 PM
At 9/13/2010 12:12:44 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
They taught that, unbeknown to us, that we are creative gods in the making...

And you had to go and post on the interwebz, ruining their surprise!

The surprise cannot be ruined, as the surprise can't happen until it is our Birth Day - a Day that will arrive for all of us eventually and fill us to overflowing with an inexplicable Magical Enchantment, undreamed of by any thought or imagination or sense.