Total Posts:269|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

You Used To Love Gay Priests. What Happened?

ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 6:50:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
In the 1950's and 60's, atheists campaigned for "inclusiveness" and chided Christendom for "discriminating" against homosexuals. "Why can't a gay man be a priest?" they shouted. And as organizations who have a form of Godliness but deny the power thereof are wont to do, the Catholics folded and went with the law of men rather than sticking with the law of God.

Now the same atheists who gnashed their teeth at Christians who did not want homosexuals as officials in the church, are condemning the church now that what Christians feared and predicted would happen has come true. Go figure.

In the 1960's and 70's the "free love" movement became vogue. And atheists chided Christians for being fuddy-duddies, prudish, and judgmental. "Sleep around!, swap wives!, experiment with homosexuality!" they screamed. "God is dead!"

Now, even Gay organizations preach sexual moderation and fidelity to a single partner. Christians were already there 6,000 years ago. Welcome to common sense atheists. Feels good not to die doesn't it?
SimplyAidan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 7:01:23 PM
At 9/3/2015 6:50:55 PM, ethang5 wrote:
In the 1950's and 60's, atheists campaigned for "inclusiveness" and chided Christendom for "discriminating" against homosexuals. "Why can't a gay man be a priest?" they shouted. And as organizations who have a form of Godliness but deny the power thereof are wont to do, the Catholics folded and went with the law of men rather than sticking with the law of God.

I read an interview that the new pope said it was okay to act violently towards someone that assaults your beliefs.

Now the same atheists who gnashed their teeth at Christians who did not want homosexuals as officials in the church, are condemning the church now that what Christians feared and predicted would happen has come true. Go figure.

They'll hate whether you're right or wrong, might as well be right, right?

In the 1960's and 70's the "free love" movement became vogue. And atheists chided Christians for being fuddy-duddies, prudish, and judgmental. "Sleep around!, swap wives!, experiment with homosexuality!" they screamed. "God is dead!"

In all fairness, LSD is a hell of a drug...

Now, even Gay organizations preach sexual moderation and fidelity to a single partner. Christians were already there 6,000 years ago. Welcome to common sense atheists. Feels good not to die doesn't it?

We can die? Darn I thought once this body perishes we'd continue on in another state of existence that either rewards us or punishes for an eternity based on how we live our lives in our short existance.
Oh, wait...
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 7:31:57 PM

Where, exactly. were christians 4,000 years before the supposed birth of christ?
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 7:44:13 PM

I think the gay priests issue is a huge paradox for atheist activists. The idea of gay priests was/is appealing only as a means to oppose Christianity when Christians oppose gay priesthood. When gay priesthood becomes accepted in any Christian circle (Catholic church, etc.), then it becomes "why are homosexuals aligning with Christianity when they should be opposing it like we are?".

Imagine if at some point gay priests/Christians changed their views in mass quantity. What an interesting twist that would be. The support of gay priesthood resulting in a move of God changing the views/lives of many gay priests/Christians, resulting in a move away from that lifestyle.
SimplyAidan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 7:56:34 PM
At 9/3/2015 7:31:57 PM, desmac wrote:

Where, exactly. were christians 4,000 years before the supposed birth of christ?

Waiting for Christ, they probably just didn't call themselves Christians.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 8:21:34 PM

So, responding to atheist pressure, the church suddenly started recruiting gay priests, only to discover...

... they were all pedophiles?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Ethan, mightn't it be true instead that:

1) Homosexuality is generally higher in prisons, same-sex boarding schools and seminaries than it is in mixed-sex communities; that
2) Paedophilia flourishes wherever children are present and power can be abused without accountability; and that
3) You really can't speak for atheists or gay people because you don't source reputable surveys, but rather ignorant blogsites with malignant strawman positions?
Leugen9001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 12:28:08 AM
At 9/3/2015 8:21:34 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

So, responding to atheist pressure, the church suddenly started recruiting gay priests, only to discover...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Ha ha ha ha ha ha

http://static02.mediaite.com...
:) nac
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 12:36:48 AM
At 9/4/2015 12:28:08 AM, Leugen9001 wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Ha ha ha ha ha ha

http://static02.mediaite.com...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk...

Funny, Leugen, but off-topic. :)
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 2:08:45 AM
At 9/3/2015 7:44:13 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
When gay priesthood becomes accepted in any Christian circle (Catholic church, etc.), then it becomes "why are homosexuals aligning with Christianity when they should be opposing it like we are?".

There have always been gay priests and gay parishioners, Roderick. They're only just now admitting it.

Nearly all gay people understand this, and plenty of atheists do too. I've had gay friends for thirty years; about half have been Christians, some very devout; and I personally know two gay Catholic priests.

So what you're talking about is the fact that the religious people are starting to understand this. And you're making it sound like gay people are entering the church when they're simply announcing that they've always been there.

I'm afraid you're projecting your own religious ignorance onto people who uh... largely didn't share that ignorance in the first place, sorry.
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 6:33:40 AM

Most conservative christians do not approve of practising gay clergy. When the USA Episcopal church accepted a gay clergy member (practising) the Anglican communion shunned them and the church had to remove him to stop it.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 7:00:39 AM
At 9/4/2015 6:33:40 AM, Mobutu wrote:

Most conservative christians do not approve of practising gay clergy. When the USA Episcopal church accepted a gay clergy member (practising) the Anglican communion shunned them and the church had to remove him to stop it.

And this is something to boast about?

How does it go? Love the sinner, hate the sin.
Amend that. Shun the sinner, hate the sin!
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 7:30:38 AM
Why do some evil b*stards try to equate homosexuality with paedophilia when it is just as prevalent among heterosexuals?
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 7:31:53 AM

First of all, where were Christians 6000 years ago? Secondly, most people of a secular mind set support equality so what's your point? Third, why would an ordained priest, gay or not, molest a child? (I'm speaking of moral decency when I ask you this)

It's disappointing to see that you are still full of venom and hate. Your such a stellar example for Christians everywhere.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 7:51:48 AM

homosexuality is forbidden in the 3 Abrahamic faiths, so if you want be a gay dont be part of these religions because it will be a contradiction if u do so. whats the problem here? whats that got to do freedom and modernity. its like saying im a muslim but i dont believe in prophet Mohhamed! lol taking part of it and discarding part... only hypocrites do that.
Never fart near dog
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 8:14:30 AM
I would love it, if a deity exists, and people discovered, on entering heaven, it was gay or a lesbian, LOL!
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 10:58:22 AM
At 9/4/2015 8:14:30 AM, JJ50 wrote:
I would love it, if a deity exists, and people discovered, on entering heaven, it was gay or a lesbian, LOL!

There is a belief in some quarters that Jesus himself was gay. I mean he was in his thirties and unmarried, not even in a relationship. He surrounded himself with young men and had one particular 'beloved' disciple (nudge nudge, wink wink). Heck on the very night he was arrested there is a report in Mark of a naked youth fleeing the scene. Who knows?
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 1:53:17 PM
At 9/4/2015 2:08:45 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
When gay priesthood becomes accepted in any Christian circle (Catholic church, etc.), then it becomes "why are homosexuals aligning with Christianity when they should be opposing it like we are?".

There have always been gay priests and gay parishioners, Roderick. They're only just now admitting it.

Nearly all gay people understand this, and plenty of atheists do too. I've had gay friends for thirty years; about half have been Christians, some very devout; and I personally know two gay Catholic priests.

So what you're talking about is the fact that the religious people are starting to understand this. And you're making it sound like gay people are entering the church when they're simply announcing that they've always been there.

I'm afraid you're projecting your own religious ignorance onto people who uh... largely didn't share that ignorance in the first place, sorry.
I'll grant you this, I can understand why you interpret my post the way you do. Unfortunately, it's not easy to pre-qualify everything I write to make sure no one misunderstands me.

I understand completely that there has always been gay people in the church. I know this from experience. I'm not suggesting a big surge of gay priests/Christians infiltrating churches. But whether we're talking about long standing gay priests or church members that have come out of the closet, or one's that have just joined a congregation, it really doesn't matter.

You might notice I specified atheist activists. I'm referring to those who belong to specific activist groups that are vocal about, and proactive in confronting religion. Particularly Christianity.

Now this is from a different thread that I've been discussing about with SkepticAlone, but I'm going to link it here because this is a prime example of an activist group I'm addressing.

http://www.patheos.com...

This might not appear that bad to you, but as a Christian, the statements made by this group reek with uber narcissism to the point of wondering if they're not doing a parody/spoof on atheist activism.

The point I'm making is that groups like this, who on one hand appear to support gay membership/ministry in church, would inevitably send a second message that they (gay priests/gay church members) must be idiots for being involved in a religion at all. And particularly a religion that they think condemns them.

Does that clear things up?
SimplyAidan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 2:02:28 PM
At 9/4/2015 7:30:38 AM, JJ50 wrote:
Why do some evil b*stards try to equate homosexuality with paedophilia when it is just as prevalent among heterosexuals?

Well, considering all sin is sin. There is no heirarchy of it, guilty of one guilty of all essentially. Which means we really got to watch what the heck we do.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 4:13:20 PM
I think the gay priests issue is a huge paradox for atheist activists. The idea of gay priests was/is appealing only as a means to oppose Christianity when Christians oppose gay priesthood. When gay priesthood becomes accepted in any Christian circle (Catholic church, etc.), then it becomes "why are homosexuals aligning with Christianity when they should be opposing it like we are?".

Why is this a paradox for atheist activists? Do you think there's some conflict in supporting a person's right to make a choice, even if you might not personally agree with that choice? It's like the idea of disagreeing with what someone says while still defending their right to say it.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 4:18:44 PM

Oh, it was an alleged influx of gay priests that led the Vatican to protect child molesters and obstruct justice? That's quite a stretch.

Not sure what this has to do with atheists. It seems like you're just desperate to attack a group you don't understand.

I'll join in the chorus of folks wondering WTF you're talking about with the apparent claim that Christianity is 6,000 years old. Also, again, how the hell are you linking atheism to polyamory?
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 4:41:52 PM
At 9/3/2015 7:01:23 PM, SimplyAidan wrote:

I read an interview that the new pope said it was okay to act violently towards someone that assaults your beliefs.

And He's infallible mind you.

They'll hate whether you're right or wrong, might as well be right, right?

They went for popular. They're well know now I guess.

In all fairness, LSD is a hell of a drug...

That skit is probably the funniest thing on the internets. Charley Murphy!

We can die? Darn I thought once this body perishes we'd continue on in another state of existence that either rewards us or punishes for an eternity based on how we live our lives in our short existance.
Oh, wait...

lol.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 4:45:00 PM
At 9/3/2015 7:31:57 PM, desmac wrote:

"I know that my redeemer lives, and shall one day stand upon the Earth"
- Job 6,000+ years before the birth of Christ, as quoted in the Book of Job.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 4:55:42 PM

The church didn't have to recruit. The pedo's were beating at the church door screaming discrimination and smarmily saying that Christ died for all.

Doesn't matter. Enough were. Would you leave your kid with a Catholic priest?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Bully! You donkey whinny may be catching on!

Ethan, mightn't it be true instead that:

1) Homosexuality is generally higher in prisons, same-sex boarding schools and seminaries than it is in mixed-sex communities;

So what? How is this fact contradictory to the OP? It isn't.

that
2) Paedophilia flourishes wherever children are present and power can be abused without accountability;

Nonsense. Pedophilia flourishes wherever there are pedophiles and children.

and that
3) You really can't speak for atheists or gay people because you don't source reputable surveys, but rather ignorant blogsites with malignant strawman positions?

I don't have to speak for them. They spoke for themselves. And I was there.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 5:01:02 PM

Homosexuality is not akin to pedophilia, but you are wrong. The rate of pedophilia is much higher among homosexual men. And that rate appears to be growing.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 5:07:45 PM
At 9/4/2015 5:01:02 PM, ethang5 wrote:

Homosexuality is not akin to pedophilia, but you are wrong. The rate of pedophilia is much higher among homosexual men. And that rate appears to be growing.

Oh goody, blatant lies form ethan, again, you're in fine form upon your return, sir.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 5:13:17 PM
At 9/4/2015 7:31:53 AM, jodybirdy wrote:

First of all, where were Christians 6000 years ago?

Bibles are free. Educate yourself before you stagger onto a religious board.

Secondly, most people of a secular mind set support equality so what's your point?

It has nothing to do with equality. I was quite blunt, so if you missed the point, there isn't much you'll get.

Third, why would an ordained priest, gay or not, molest a child? (I'm speaking of moral decency when I ask you this)

Moral decency comes from a person's culture and belief systems. That is why good people stay away from sick cultures and selfish belief systems, and don't think such people should hold positions of authority in the church.

It's disappointing to see that you are still full of venom and hate. Your such a stellar example for Christians everywhere.

It is heartening to see that you are still trapped in your PC illogic. And thanks. You hate and disbelieve the Greatest ever example of a Christian. I am humbled to be mentioned in his category.

Shucks ma'am.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 5:22:47 PM
At 9/4/2015 7:51:48 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:

homosexuality is forbidden in the 3 Abrahamic faiths, so if you want be a gay dont be part of these religions because it will be a contradiction if u do so. whats the problem here? whats that got to do freedom and modernity. its like saying im a muslim but i dont believe in prophet Mohhamed! lol taking part of it and discarding part... only hypocrites do that.

That is the illogic of political correctness. They want to be Christian, but also want to hang on to anti-christian beliefs simply because that is their desire. It's called desire based morality. I want it, so therefore it is moral.

I want to marry another man, therefore homosexual marriage is moral.
I want to be a priest though I'm a homosexual, so being a homosexual priest must be moral.
I want to have out of wedlock unprotected sex, therefore out of wedlock unprotected sex is moral.
I want the baby growing inside me gone, therefore killing it is moral.

It's no wonder this moral system is so popular with atheists and PC sheeple.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 5:25:36 PM
At 9/4/2015 5:01:02 PM, ethang5 wrote:

You should update your homophobic biases.

" The empirical research does not show that gay or bisexual men are any more likely than heterosexual men to molest children. This is not to argue that homosexual and bisexual men never molest children. But there is no scientific basis for asserting that they are more likely than heterosexual men to do so. And, as explained above, many child molesters cannot be characterized as having an adult sexual orientation at all; they are fixated on children."

Children are more likely to be molested by their priest than by their gay neighbour.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 5:25:43 PM
At 9/4/2015 5:22:47 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 9/4/2015 7:51:48 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:

That is the illogic of political correctness. They want to be Christian, but also want to hang on to anti-christian beliefs simply because that is their desire. It's called desire based morality. I want it, so therefore it is moral.

I want to marry another man, therefore homosexual marriage is moral.
I want to be a priest though I'm a homosexual, so being a homosexual priest must be moral.
I want to have out of wedlock unprotected sex, therefore out of wedlock unprotected sex is moral.
I want the baby growing inside me gone, therefore killing it is moral.

It's no wonder this moral system is so popular with atheists and PC sheeple.

LOL That's about right! What's right or wrong changes with the wind.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 5:45:24 PM
At 9/4/2015 7:00:39 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 9/4/2015 6:33:40 AM, Mobutu wrote:

And this is something to boast about?

How does it go? Love the sinner, hate the sin.
Amend that. Shun the sinner, hate the sin!

We don't allow straight non celibate clergy. Why the hell would we allow gay non celibate clergy? It's like 2 sins in one.