Total Posts:86|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Saints and Catholics

Brendan21
Posts: 294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 5:33:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I was raised a Catholic, yet I renounced my faith about a year ago. I still am confused as to why Catholics don't consider praying to Saints, like Mary, as blasphemy. Perhaps some one could explain it to me better than my unknowledgeable parents who indoctrinated me.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 8:32:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 5:33:26 PM, Brendan21 wrote:
I was raised a Catholic, yet I renounced my faith about a year ago. I still am confused as to why Catholics don't consider praying to Saints, like Mary, as blasphemy. Perhaps some one could explain it to me better than my unknowledgeable parents who indoctrinated me.

I suppose its the difference between reverence, homage, and worship.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 8:32:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
saints chat up the big man for you...

put a word in...

they're not worshipped... they're appealed to b/c you know God's a prick, and you might need someone on his good side to have your case get more than a quick glance.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 8:33:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 8:32:17 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
they're not worshipped...

oh, sorry...

no.. I agree... mary's worshipped I think what I said applies to the other saints.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 8:35:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 8:33:58 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:32:17 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
they're not worshipped...

oh, sorry...

no.. I agree... mary's worshipped I think what I said applies to the other saints.

I'm pretty sure Mary is worshipped. Why do you think Catholics include her in their prayers?
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 8:37:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 8:35:35 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I wrote:
I agree... mary's worshipped
I'm pretty sure Mary is worshipped. Why do you think Catholics include her in their prayers?

lol... <shakes head at insert>
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 8:38:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 8:33:58 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:32:17 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
they're not worshipped...

oh, sorry...

no.. I agree... mary's worshipped I think what I said applies to the other saints.

You said that, unless I misread? I was kinda just skimming.
Brendan21
Posts: 294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 8:39:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 8:35:35 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:33:58 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:32:17 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
they're not worshipped...

oh, sorry...

no.. I agree... mary's worshipped I think what I said applies to the other saints.

I'm pretty sure Mary is worshipped. Why do you think Catholics include her in their prayers?

Exactly. But my mom also prays to saint anthony whenever she is looking for something she lost, and I find that almost to be blasphemy also.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 8:40:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 8:39:20 PM, Brendan21 wrote:
But my mom also prays to saint anthony whenever she is looking for something she lost, and I find that almost to be blasphemy also.

But he's the one who helps you find things!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 8:40:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 8:35:35 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:33:58 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:32:17 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
they're not worshipped...

oh, sorry...

no.. I agree... mary's worshipped I think what I said applies to the other saints.

I'm pretty sure Mary is worshipped. Why do you think Catholics include her in their prayers?

Actually, I don't think most Catholics worship her. They ask her to help pray for them, I believe.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 8:41:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 8:40:27 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:35:35 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:33:58 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:32:17 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
they're not worshipped...

oh, sorry...

no.. I agree... mary's worshipped I think what I said applies to the other saints.

I'm pretty sure Mary is worshipped. Why do you think Catholics include her in their prayers?

Actually, I don't think most Catholics worship her. They ask her to help pray for them, I believe.

Nope, I think some pray directly to her. I think that's what my friend said.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 8:42:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 8:40:27 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:35:35 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:33:58 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:32:17 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
they're not worshipped...

oh, sorry...

no.. I agree... mary's worshipped I think what I said applies to the other saints.

I'm pretty sure Mary is worshipped. Why do you think Catholics include her in their prayers?

Actually, I don't think most Catholics worship her. They ask her to help pray for them, I believe.

yeah.... but.... she's w/o sin (her whole life)... a Virgin (when it counts..and the name stuck)...and all that...

it's a purity cult.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 8:42:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 8:41:15 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Nope, I think some pray directly to her. I think that's what my friend said.

Is your friend Mexican?
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Brendan21
Posts: 294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 8:43:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 8:41:15 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:40:27 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:35:35 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:33:58 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:32:17 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
they're not worshipped...

oh, sorry...

no.. I agree... mary's worshipped I think what I said applies to the other saints.

I'm pretty sure Mary is worshipped. Why do you think Catholics include her in their prayers?

Actually, I don't think most Catholics worship her. They ask her to help pray for them, I believe.

Nope, I think some pray directly to her. I think that's what my friend said.

As an ex-Catholic, is assure you the most common pray they say is only about Mary, its called "Hail Mary"
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 8:44:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 8:42:43 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:41:15 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Nope, I think some pray directly to her. I think that's what my friend said.

Is your friend Mexican?

and PCP was saying they pray to her to put a word in...

though I'd say she's also an absolute... divinish.. figure... PURITY.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 8:44:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 8:43:04 PM, Brendan21 wrote:

As an ex-Catholic, is assure you the most common pray they say is only about Mary, its called "Hail Mary"

Yea, I just asked my Catholic friend about it. I'm just waiting for an answer.

And to answer Matt, my friend is not Mexican.
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 8:47:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 8:43:04 PM, Brendan21 wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:41:15 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:40:27 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:35:35 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:33:58 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:32:17 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
they're not worshipped...

oh, sorry...

no.. I agree... mary's worshipped I think what I said applies to the other saints.

I'm pretty sure Mary is worshipped. Why do you think Catholics include her in their prayers?

Actually, I don't think most Catholics worship her. They ask her to help pray for them, I believe.

Nope, I think some pray directly to her. I think that's what my friend said.

As an ex-Catholic, is assure you the most common pray they say is only about Mary, its called "Hail Mary"

Hail Mary, full of grace.
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, mother of God,
pray for us sinners
now and the hour of our death.
Amen.
Brendan21
Posts: 294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 8:50:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 8:47:11 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:43:04 PM, Brendan21 wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:41:15 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:40:27 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:35:35 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:33:58 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:32:17 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
they're not worshipped...

oh, sorry...

no.. I agree... mary's worshipped I think what I said applies to the other saints.

I'm pretty sure Mary is worshipped. Why do you think Catholics include her in their prayers?

Actually, I don't think most Catholics worship her. They ask her to help pray for them, I believe.

Nope, I think some pray directly to her. I think that's what my friend said.

As an ex-Catholic, is assure you the most common pray they say is only about Mary, its called "Hail Mary"

Hail Mary, full of grace.
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, mother of God,
pray for us sinners
now and the hour of our death.
Amen.

"mother of God" is also a key phrase in there.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 8:51:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
brought whole and straight to heaven... like Jesus:

http://en.wikipedia.org...

and was w/o sin of all kinds:

"for Mary, death, in consequence of her freedom from original sin and from personal sin, was not a consequence of punishment of sin. However, it seems fitting that Mary's body, which was by nature mortal, should be, in conformity with that of her Divine Son, subject to the general law of death"
-from link ^
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Brendan21
Posts: 294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 8:55:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 8:51:40 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
brought whole and straight to heaven... like Jesus:

http://en.wikipedia.org...

and was w/o sin of all kinds:

"for Mary, death, in consequence of her freedom from original sin and from personal sin, was not a consequence of punishment of sin. However, it seems fitting that Mary's body, which was by nature mortal, should be, in conformity with that of her Divine Son, subject to the general law of death"
-from link ^

I heard that also, but didn't really understand it. They said "she is without original sin, so all of her went to heaven"
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 9:21:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Yep, according to my friend, Catholics do pray to Mary.

"Thanks for answering for me... lol
anyway the real answer is:
Yes, we do.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee;
blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Bam :D
I was actually going through that prayer in my head before I had to look it up! I remembered majority because I used to say that prayer every night before bed when I was little. I think it was my favourite :)
Still a nice little prayer ^^"
Brendan21
Posts: 294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 9:37:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 9:21:56 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Yep, according to my friend, Catholics do pray to Mary.

"Thanks for answering for me... lol
anyway the real answer is:
Yes, we do.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee;
blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Bam :D
I was actually going through that prayer in my head before I had to look it up! I remembered majority because I used to say that prayer every night before bed when I was little. I think it was my favourite :)
Still a nice little prayer ^^"


I also remembered most of it by heart, because I said it at least once a day until was about 10. Crazy how such a controversial prayer is the main prayer of the sect. and they don't even realize it.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 9:42:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 9:37:22 PM, Brendan21 wrote:

I also remembered most of it by heart, because I said it at least once a day until was about 10. Crazy how such a controversial prayer is the main prayer of the sect. and they don't even realize it.

Yea, discussing the prayer itself just led to a discussion about how Catholics are polytheistic. If any sect of Christianity should be accused of being polytheistic it's certainly Catholics.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 10:18:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 8:55:38 PM, Brendan21 wrote:
At 9/6/2010 8:51:40 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
brought whole and straight to heaven... like Jesus:

http://en.wikipedia.org...

and was w/o sin of all kinds:

"for Mary, death, in consequence of her freedom from original sin and from personal sin, was not a consequence of punishment of sin. However, it seems fitting that Mary's body, which was by nature mortal, should be, in conformity with that of her Divine Son, subject to the general law of death"
-from link ^

I heard that also, but didn't really understand it. They said "she is without original sin, so all of her went to heaven"

Did your parents not believe in original sin?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 10:30:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 5:33:26 PM, Brendan21 wrote:
I was raised a Catholic, yet I renounced my faith about a year ago. I still am confused as to why Catholics don't consider praying to Saints, like Mary, as blasphemy. Perhaps some one could explain it to me better than my unknowledgeable parents who indoctrinated me.

I'm Catholic and I can assure you that I don't worship Mary or any other Saint. They are my family, not my God.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 10:31:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 10:30:48 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/6/2010 5:33:26 PM, Brendan21 wrote:
I was raised a Catholic, yet I renounced my faith about a year ago. I still am confused as to why Catholics don't consider praying to Saints, like Mary, as blasphemy. Perhaps some one could explain it to me better than my unknowledgeable parents who indoctrinated me.

I'm Catholic and I can assure you that I don't worship Mary or any other Saint. They are my family, not my God.

So you don't pray to them at all?
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 10:38:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 10:31:48 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/6/2010 10:30:48 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/6/2010 5:33:26 PM, Brendan21 wrote:
I was raised a Catholic, yet I renounced my faith about a year ago. I still am confused as to why Catholics don't consider praying to Saints, like Mary, as blasphemy. Perhaps some one could explain it to me better than my unknowledgeable parents who indoctrinated me.

I'm Catholic and I can assure you that I don't worship Mary or any other Saint. They are my family, not my God.

So you don't pray to them at all?

I make requests. I believe they can hear me. I can pray you to believe or pray you to do something for me. It's just a word with different meanings.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 10:39:13 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 10:38:30 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/6/2010 10:31:48 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/6/2010 10:30:48 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/6/2010 5:33:26 PM, Brendan21 wrote:
I was raised a Catholic, yet I renounced my faith about a year ago. I still am confused as to why Catholics don't consider praying to Saints, like Mary, as blasphemy. Perhaps some one could explain it to me better than my unknowledgeable parents who indoctrinated me.

I'm Catholic and I can assure you that I don't worship Mary or any other Saint. They are my family, not my God.

So you don't pray to them at all?

I make requests. I believe they can hear me. I can pray you to believe or pray you to do something for me. It's just a word with different meanings.

So you can pray to saints? Isn't that...idolatry?
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 10:40:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 10:39:13 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/6/2010 10:38:30 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/6/2010 10:31:48 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/6/2010 10:30:48 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/6/2010 5:33:26 PM, Brendan21 wrote:
I was raised a Catholic, yet I renounced my faith about a year ago. I still am confused as to why Catholics don't consider praying to Saints, like Mary, as blasphemy. Perhaps some one could explain it to me better than my unknowledgeable parents who indoctrinated me.

I'm Catholic and I can assure you that I don't worship Mary or any other Saint. They are my family, not my God.

So you don't pray to them at all?

I make requests. I believe they can hear me. I can pray you to believe or pray you to do something for me. It's just a word with different meanings.

So you can pray to saints? Isn't that...idolatry?

If I believed they were God's, which I don't. So no.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 10:45:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/6/2010 10:40:57 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/6/2010 10:39:13 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

So you can pray to saints? Isn't that...idolatry?

If I believed they were God's, which I don't. So no.

Some people would argue against that, Muslims in particular. I suppose it could almost be similar to some of the Shi'a Muslim beliefs although they don't actually pray to their Imams.