Jump to topic:

Who here has never held belief in God?

Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 5:04:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I find it interesting that the vast majority of atheists previously believed in God. Who here has never held belief in any sort of deity - at any time in their life? Did you grow up in a family that never discussed it? Or were your parents atheists as well?

I believe that belief in God is natural and intuitive especially for right-brain thinkers. I'm also making a prediction that those who have never held faith are strong left-brain thinkers.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 5:12:37 PM
At 9/6/2015 5:04:46 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
I find it interesting that the vast majority of atheists previously believed in God. Who here has never held belief in any sort of deity - at any time in their life? Did you grow up in a family that never discussed it? Or were your parents atheists as well?

I believe that belief in God is natural and intuitive especially for right-brain thinkers. I'm also making a prediction that those who have never held faith are strong left-brain thinkers.

you tend to get many on this type of forum who claim to have believed and then stopped as they learnt it was all fake, you tend to find after just a few passing questions it is clear they know nothing about the faith they claimed to follow...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 5:43:16 PM

One line of my family is atheist going back at least four generations. Their influence has always been 'the children won't be raised with any particular view.' My mother and her mother are both from that line of thinking; my mother is a Christian, my father is a deist, and all of my siblings and myself are atheists.

I think that, as a general rule, people who 'convert' to atheism from religion are more aggrieved and irrational than ones for whom it came as a natural, uninfluenced decision.

The left-brained/right-brained stuff is also complete pseudoscience; lateralization doesn't really lead to any of the measurable outcomes often attributed to it by pop psychology.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 6:34:17 PM
At 9/6/2015 5:43:16 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

One line of my family is atheist going back at least four generations. Their influence has always been 'the children won't be raised with any particular view.' My mother and her mother are both from that line of thinking; my mother is a Christian, my father is a deist, and all of my siblings and myself are atheists.

I think that, as a general rule, people who 'convert' to atheism from religion are more aggrieved and irrational than ones for whom it came as a natural, uninfluenced decision.

I would agree with this as much as I hate to say that about myself.

The left-brained/right-brained stuff is also complete pseudoscience; lateralization doesn't really lead to any of the measurable outcomes often attributed to it by pop psychology.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 6:55:07 AM
At 9/6/2015 6:34:17 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 9/6/2015 5:43:16 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I would agree with this as much as I hate to say that about myself.
Haha just checked out your sig BTW.

Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 7:43:33 AM

I've never believed in any god. The first time I was taken to a church was when I was 4, and it was because some family friends were caring for me while my parents were out of town. I have a vivid memory of sitting in the pew and thinking the guy at the front of the room was talking nonsense.

Both of my parents were raised pretty religious, but they didn't carry it on. I actually don't have much idea what my parents believe or don't believe about any gods. I wouldn't say they raised me to be an atheist, they just didn't seem to care about religion and so I didn't get exposed to it much. I consider myself lucky in that regard. A lot of times I've argued with theists who accuse me of thinking that they're stupid. That might have been true when I was a teenager, but not now. I just think they weren't as fortunate growing up as I was.