Jump to topic:

Religion in Pop culture.

Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 9:01:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am currently planning to examine religion in pop culture on youtube. I would really like it if anyone could help by providing examples of depictions of religious people (especially christians in pop culture scenarios.
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 9:30:41 PM
At 9/6/2015 9:18:19 PM, desmac wrote:
Crazy, by Gnarls Barkley.

Thanks. I really appreciate help with this project. Should set up the youtube, twitter and croudfunding soon to help it become a reality.
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 9:55:57 PM
At 9/6/2015 9:01:47 PM, Mobutu wrote:
I am currently planning to examine religion in pop culture on youtube. I would really like it if anyone could help by providing examples of depictions of religious people (especially christians in pop culture scenarios.

Marilyn Manson comes to mind. A really interesting artist in my opinion. Very popular with the atheists, but often a commentator through his lyrics on the oppressive nature of religion. His lyrics include the following: ""

I absolutely loath the Christian music artists. I won't even listen to them. Saccharin fluff. Nonsense. Pagan. But some artists who are Christian you wouldn't think are Christian like Dave Mustaine of Megadeth, Alice Cooper, Bob Dylan in the late 1970's had an interesting conversion.

South Park is a great topical show which often deals with religion, though they are atheists and produce what you might expect atheists to produce. Like Manson they are an excellent topical source of religious commentary.
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 10:02:51 PM
At 9/6/2015 9:55:57 PM, DavidHenson wrote:

Marilyn Manson comes to mind. A really interesting artist in my opinion. Very popular with the atheists, but often a commentator through his lyrics on the oppressive nature of religion. His lyrics include the following: ""

I absolutely loath the Christian music artists. I won't even listen to them. Saccharin fluff. Nonsense. Pagan. But some artists who are Christian you wouldn't think are Christian like Dave Mustaine of Megadeth, Alice Cooper, Bob Dylan in the late 1970's had an interesting conversion.

South Park is a great topical show which often deals with religion, though they are atheists and produce what you might expect atheists to produce. Like Manson they are an excellent topical source of religious commentary.

Thanks. This should be very helpful in my youtube channel I intend to make. Hopefully there won't be too many haters. Maybe I can even get some money out of it through ads and patreon if I'm popular enough.
Red_Dirt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 10:23:49 PM
I am currently planning to examine religion in pop culture on youtube. I would really like it if anyone could help by providing examples of depictions of religious people (especially Christians in pop culture scenarios.

It might help if you were to link to existing examples of how you present such work. I mean, videos, blogs, sites, for examples.

Three come to mind. The first is rock stars who ridicule or express anti religious sentiments. Maybe the Beatles "Imagine" or Mick Jaggers Satanic imagery. You are already on to some contemporary examples, such as that blonde lesbian from New Jersey, can't recall her name just now. Beyonce is another. Check out the famous you tube video on her Superbowl half time show where she morphs Satanic. I'm not saying it is true, but the whole field of stars selling their souls for fame is huge on you tube right now.

The second is a little trickier, but examples are on You Tube. That would be the Marxist/Stalinist/Islamic mission to destroy the Christian and Orthodox church. Each uses the popular media. You have to go back into the 1930's for this. I mean stuff like Nazi death cult.

Finally, third, would be the Illuminati, conspiracy, anti-Masonic, Anti-Catholic, web site on the internet. There are plenty of them. They come up with the weirdest graphics to show religious leaders in strange ways.
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 10:27:15 PM
At 9/6/2015 10:23:49 PM, Red_Dirt wrote:
I am currently planning to examine religion in pop culture on youtube. I would really like it if anyone could help by providing examples of depictions of religious people (especially Christians in pop culture scenarios.

It might help if you were to link to existing examples of how you present such work. I mean, videos, blogs, sites, for examples.

Three come to mind. The first is rock stars who ridicule or express anti religious sentiments. Maybe the Beatles "Imagine" or Mick Jaggers Satanic imagery. You are already on to some contemporary examples, such as that blonde lesbian from New Jersey, can't recall her name just now. Beyonce is another. Check out the famous you tube video on her Superbowl half time show where she morphs Satanic. I'm not saying it is true, but the whole field of stars selling their souls for fame is huge on you tube right now.

The second is a little trickier, but examples are on You Tube. That would be the Marxist/Stalinist/Islamic mission to destroy the Christian and Orthodox church. Each uses the popular media. You have to go back into the 1930's for this. I mean stuff like Nazi death cult.

Finally, third, would be the Illuminati, conspiracy, anti-Masonic, Anti-Catholic, web site on the internet. There are plenty of them. They come up with the weirdest graphics to show religious leaders in strange ways.

I don't have anything created at the moment. I am just researching into pop culture depictions and trying to gauge the demand for such a youtube channel.

Also thanks for the examples of religion in pop culture. These have been very helpful.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 10:27:37 PM

Three examples that popped into my mind.

Portrayal of Jesus in the Family Guy: http://familyguy.wikia.com...

South Park ep 201 controversy (Portrayal of Muhammad pbuh): https://en.wikipedia.org...(South_Park)

Saint Young Men (A Japanese comic that portrays Jesus and Buddha on a summer vacation) : https://en.wikipedia.org...
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 10:29:12 PM
At 9/6/2015 10:27:37 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

Three examples that popped into my mind.

Portrayal of Jesus in the Family Guy: http://familyguy.wikia.com...

South Park ep 201 controversy (Portrayal of Muhammad pbuh): https://en.wikipedia.org...(South_Park)

Saint Young Men (A Japanese comic that portrays Jesus and Buddha on a summer vacation) : https://en.wikipedia.org...

Thanks for the help!
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 10:38:47 PM

Christian religion is really all over the american pop culture, and especially prominent in pop music. Mariah Carey is a christian and God/faith are recurrent topics in her lyrics. Her song "Fly Like a Bird" talks about God, and her song "One Child" is a christmas song that talks about the birth of Jesus.

Hope that helps
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 10:48:07 PM
At 9/6/2015 10:38:47 PM, Otokage wrote:

Christian religion is really all over the american pop culture, and especially prominent in pop music. Mariah Carey is a christian and God/faith are recurrent topics in her lyrics. Her song "Fly Like a Bird" talks about God, and her song "One Child" is a christmas song that talks about the birth of Jesus.

Hope that helps

It does. Thanks!
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 8:25:43 PM

Here is the link to my youtube channel (just started please subscribe! https://www.youtube.com... )
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 12:28:05 PM
At 9/7/2015 8:25:43 PM, Mobutu wrote:

Here is the link to my youtube channel (just started please subscribe! https://www.youtube.com... )

The channel is as empty as your arguments.
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 1:04:51 PM
At 9/6/2015 9:55:57 PM, DavidHenson wrote:

I thought Bob Dylan sold his soul (?) Yeah I'm pretty sure he said his soul was sold to become famous. If he has converted, no doubt it's only to get his soul back. But I don't think he can. These sales are usually final and iron clad. He should have read the fine print. Alice Cooper is definitely a Christian. The quality of music will always be an indication. Alice Cooper was terrible. He definitely kept his soul.

Or maybe they just pretend to be Atheists to further bump the Atheistic agenda. There's a lot of that going around.
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 4:47:38 PM
At 9/8/2015 12:28:05 PM, desmac wrote:

Ahh typical Atheist attacks. Soon we will start our pop culture media criticisms.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 4:58:42 PM
At 9/8/2015 4:47:38 PM, Mobutu wrote:

Ahh typical Atheist attacks. Soon we will start our pop culture media criticisms.

Please do, we can always use more laughs.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 5:00:35 PM
At 9/8/2015 4:58:42 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Please do, we can always use more laughs.

Ahhh. Typical atheist use of mockery to disempower religion. I believe this might by touched upon on the planned Pop culture vs religion series.
Red_Dirt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 5:04:49 PM

Are you able to build content with a playlist? It has been a while since I used YouTube, but I think I recall it is possible to favorite videos and assemble them into a playlist.
Then, you need a way to comment, so we would know your thoughts on the subjects.
I was recently looking at the subject of stars who sold out to the devil. Weird ones like Elvis Presley, who everyone thinks was Christian. Really, he mocked the Pentecostals.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 5:35:21 PM
At 9/6/2015 10:02:51 PM, Mobutu wrote:

Thanks. This should be very helpful in my youtube channel I intend to make. Hopefully there won't be too many haters. Maybe I can even get some money out of it through ads and patreon if I'm popular enough.

It's YouTube. There will be plenty of haters and critics no matter what stance you take. The trick is to be able to tell the difference between the two. I encourage acknowledging and responding to honest criticism and never disable Comments.
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 5:38:48 PM
At 9/8/2015 5:35:21 PM, Chaosism wrote:

It's YouTube. There will be plenty of haters and critics no matter what stance you take. The trick is to be able to tell the difference between the two. I encourage acknowledging and responding to honest criticism and never disable Comments.

Oh I was going to disable comments for convenience so my viewers can engage with Christian ideas without trolls attacking them with pointless rhetoric and to avoid dangerous harassment.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 9:15:58 PM
At 9/8/2015 5:38:48 PM, Mobutu wrote:

Oh I was going to disable comments for convenience so my viewers can engage with Christian ideas without trolls attacking them with pointless rhetoric and to avoid dangerous harassment.

Can't have free thinkers interposing with logic, eh?
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 9:35:00 PM
At 9/8/2015 9:15:58 PM, desmac wrote:

I would like to have a free and open chat, however due to the very real issue of harassment and degrading of viewers it is likely a highly moderated space would be needed which I can't maintain so comments will be removed wholesale.
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 9:37:58 PM
At 9/8/2015 9:35:00 PM, Mobutu wrote:

I would like to have a free and open chat, however due to the very real issue of harassment and degrading of viewers it is likely a highly moderated space would be needed which I can't maintain so comments will be removed wholesale.

I will likely not appear in any of the videos so I can video the person who will be speaking on the videos.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 7:49:35 AM

nice to see you keeping to the good old christian tradition of denying free speech.
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 3:59:58 PM
At 9/9/2015 7:49:35 AM, desmac wrote:

nice to see you keeping to the good old christian tradition of denying free speech.

No. It's to stop the rampant hatred and harassment that is certain to be provoked by atheist trolls. I want a safe space where my viewers and myself don't have to suffer barrages of abuse.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 4:04:06 PM
At 9/9/2015 3:59:58 PM, Mobutu wrote:
At 9/9/2015 7:49:35 AM, desmac wrote:

No. It's to stop the rampant hatred and harassment that is certain to be provoked by atheist trolls. I want a safe space where my viewers and myself don't have to suffer barrages of abuse.

Can't your omnipotent god protect you from the nasty trollsy wolls?