Jump to topic:

What's the Point?

Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 9:22:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have a question for all those on the religious forum. I've been here for quite some time, and I realized, what's the point? Why do people argue over religious beliefs? I, as an atheist, think religion should be criticized. But on a forum? I keep on seeing the same things over and over again. Close minded religious people, condescending non-religious people, as well as many other forms of unproductive conduct, on both sides.

Also, I hope that theists realize that they won't be able to convert any atheists (if so, very rarely) and atheists realize that they won't be able to convert any theists (again, if so, very rarely).

So my main question is, what's the point of debating, on a forum, about religion? Over my time here, I have seen the same arguments being presented over and over again, as well as much (not always, but the majority of times) nonintellectual conversation occurring, leading nowhere. So why continue on? If you want to make a change, why not read a book, or learn? Or take part in any community events which help your cause? Don't you think it's much more productive than fruitlessly debating religion on a forum?
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 1:24:34 AM
At 9/6/2015 9:22:20 PM, Pase66 wrote:
I have a question for all those on the religious forum. I've been here for quite some time, and I realized, what's the point? Why do people argue over religious beliefs? I, as an atheist, think religion should be criticized. But on a forum? I keep on seeing the same things over and over again. Close minded religious people, condescending non-religious people, as well as many other forms of unproductive conduct, on both sides.

Also, I hope that theists realize that they won't be able to convert any atheists (if so, very rarely) and atheists realize that they won't be able to convert any theists (again, if so, very rarely).

So my main question is, what's the point of debating, on a forum, about religion? Over my time here, I have seen the same arguments being presented over and over again, as well as much (not always, but the majority of times) nonintellectual conversation occurring, leading nowhere. So why continue on? If you want to make a change, why not read a book, or learn? Or take part in any community events which help your cause? Don't you think it's much more productive than fruitlessly debating religion on a forum?

Ironically, in light of your post, I've said this before. There are hopefully people reading these threads apart from those actually participating. These lurkers are part of the target audience. Conversions and deconversions don't happen overnight. Mostly it's about planting the seed even though it may not begin to grow until many years have passed. Theists won't ask themselves unprompted some of the questions that skeptics raise, and even though they immediately reject the logic, the seed of doubt has been planted. I firmly believe that to be the case for those who aren't too far gone. Religious indoctrination is very difficult to break out of. It can take a very long time.

Besides, it's fun to debate, to find the flaws in arguments and expose them. Occasionally it leads to a shift in one's own position. I enjoy reading the replies of other competent posters to see how they tackle and dismantle arguments. It's a learning experience for me too.
b_sorelson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 1:36:33 AM

So my main question is, what's the point of debating, on a forum, about religion? Over my time here, I have seen the same arguments being presented over and over again, as well as much (not always, but the majority of times) nonintellectual conversation occurring, leading nowhere. So why continue on? If you want to make a change, why not read a book, or learn? Or take part in any community events which help your cause? Don't you think it's much more productive than fruitlessly debating religion on a forum? : :

Most of the believers I've met who call themselves atheists are very good listeners of the true gospel. I have met a few believers who call themselves Christians but they have a very difficult time trusting the truth because they believe their Jesus is the truth. Once I can get them passed this false belief that Jesus is their Lord and Savior, I can go to the past and teach them where this falsehood came from.

I have no problem getting believers called atheists passed this false belief that Jesus is the Lord and Savior. They have believed this from the time their parents were trying to force them to believe that lie.
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 3:27:01 AM
I've been doing this for nearly 20 years. I was born and raised atheist, and atheist by definition until at the age of 27 I picked up a Bible with the intention of debunking Christianity. Or at least putting to rest any ignorance on the subject I felt I had, which was considerable.

When I first got online back in 1995 or 1996 I looked up subjects that interested me and discovered the religious / atheist debate forum. At first I think it was a sort of academic egotism that compelled me. I've always loved to argue, so maybe that had a great deal to do with it. I don't think I ever even entertained the idea of converting anyone, but I did enjoy being challenged and the learning that brought about in areas I wouldn't have considered myself. Seeing different perspectives, or things from a different angle.

After a while, due to all of the negativity, being kicked around quite a bit and becoming somewhat a monster that I didn't like, I stopped doing it and started tinkering around with making a website.

The trouble with that is you get no feedback. You kind of start to feel as if you've lost touch and you should maybe get out there again and see what's going on. Its like what I would imagine being an entertainer is like. First you spend inordinate amounts of time in the studio creating something, but then you have to go out on the road. Or, if you don't like the entertainment analogy then perhaps rather like an atheist. First they spend a great deal of time writing some book of propaganda and then they go out on their book tour.

Anyway, being on the road can be very exhausting in an emotional, physical and physiological way. Like posting on forums. It is a complete waste of time, and very exhaustive and time consuming, but it's just in there and has to come out. So I do it now and then and then take a break.
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune
b_sorelson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 3:49:33 AM
At 9/7/2015 3:27:01 AM, DavidHenson wrote:
I've been doing this for nearly 20 years. I was born and raised atheist, and atheist by definition until at the age of 27 I picked up a Bible with the intention of debunking Christianity. Or at least putting to rest any ignorance on the subject I felt I had, which was considerable.

When I first got online back in 1995 or 1996 I looked up subjects that interested me and discovered the religious / atheist debate forum. At first I think it was a sort of academic egotism that compelled me. I've always loved to argue, so maybe that had a great deal to do with it. I don't think I ever even entertained the idea of converting anyone, but I did enjoy being challenged and the learning that brought about in areas I wouldn't have considered myself. Seeing different perspectives, or things from a different angle.

After a while, due to all of the negativity, being kicked around quite a bit and becoming somewhat a monster that I didn't like, I stopped doing it and started tinkering around with making a website.

The trouble with that is you get no feedback. You kind of start to feel as if you've lost touch and you should maybe get out there again and see what's going on. Its like what I would imagine being an entertainer is like. First you spend inordinate amounts of time in the studio creating something, but then you have to go out on the road. Or, if you don't like the entertainment analogy then perhaps rather like an atheist. First they spend a great deal of time writing some book of propaganda and then they go out on their book tour.

Anyway, being on the road can be very exhausting in an emotional, physical and physiological way. Like posting on forums. It is a complete waste of time, and very exhaustive and time consuming, but it's just in there and has to come out. So I do it now and then and then take a break. : :

I have met many of God's chosen believers who tell me they're atheists. A few of them are my best friends. You can call them skeptical believers because they are seeking evidence but after meeting me, I become the evidence in my bodily language. Then they begin to listen to the voice of the Lord ( the gospel ) that I preach to them and start learning how they were created. It's amazing to witness atheists come to the knowledge of God and learn the Truth.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 5:18:22 AM

I am here more as an educator. I am a Vedantist raised in the Vedantic tradition and trained in the reading of esoteric scriptures, Christian Theology and Islamic fundamentalism.
I have no problems shaming someone for being scripturally illiterate especially when they claim to be a believer and know little about how those beliefs came to being.
There are many religious forums where like minded people share their experiences and anti Christian sentiments are discouraged. So to your question what is the point of debating about religion is very valid. It could be to take their beliefs and knowledge to the next level and get past political correctness or satisfy a need that is not met on other forums like directness and uncompromising search for the truth.
But we all have big egos and on DDO it is less restrictive to unbridled those egos which can get a bit tiresome sometimes. But there are always non intellectual conversation to fall back to and Christians are not that hard to engage.
I will let the atheists respond to your question. Many are recovering Christians disillusioned by their Christian experiences and have turned bitter atheists. Others never had cause to entertain a higher realm. And then there are those who are just curious how some find ignorance a bliss. What is obvious is a lack of enlightened individuals and the persistent presence of a collective lackluster aura that dulls the imagination.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 8:38:07 AM

Hmm let me see. One: Marketing. (This is a sneaky lil thing i'm up to). Two: To learn more about my belief. Three: to learn about others' beliefs. I also like writing. I hope the grammar Nazis teach me how to improve. I like debating, or arguing. But, i am not really debating since i hold no religious belief. I guess i am just debating to see if i can be proven wrong. The way i see things is on the spiritual spectrum. It is interesting to see how far people can push my belief before resorting to ad homs. In which case, i always feel i have come to a tie at that point. No one can prove anything beyond this realm, not even me (that was kinda cocky lol). No one can prove consciousness can survive death (actually looks pretty bad for theists in this regard). However, no one can prove the latter either (spiritually, not religiously). I have grown to look at the spiritual aspect of life a little differently than most. This doesn't mean i am special or anything, bc i wouldn't wish this passion on anyone. Yet, it is a passion of mine to philosophize about the spiritual side of life. I intend to ... well, i'll keep my goals to me. I just want to get better at articulating what i learn here (or other forums), and i want to get better at finding/puzzling what i think of spirituality together from the skepticism/criticism i receive. In conclusion, i am just here to learn what i can.
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 8:55:55 AM
Give the people what they want.

I remember watching a movie many years ago. It was a comedy where the people that lived on a island would VOTE RED or BLUE for the SAME dictator.

It's about giving people a choice in ILLUSIONS, deceptions and lies called good.

IF a person was to take a look around this site they would find NO solutions or agreements have been found.

WHY is that?

Because MOST would rather argue as a means of DISTRACTION away from their confusion and denial.

What we have is groups of people with different DISTRACTIONS.

It could just as well be a debate site on who is more REAL,

Santa Claus

the Easter Bunny

or,

the Tooth Fairy

People could argue and point out to each other WHY the others are delusional and just believing in a make believe and pretend reality so that they can ignore the FACT that they are also following and TRYING to believe in make believe and pretend realities.

Most don't CHOOSE to seek solutions and clear understanding because it would show the LIGHT of HONEST TRUTH that they were a fake and a fraud like the others of the many.

those of the few understand what it is like to walk in others shoes as they are seeking solutions that WORK in more then just religious faith and scientific theory.

If you want Truth and REALITY you have to GROW UP so that you can understand the mass confusion and doubt that this world tries to communicate in.

I myself find this world very interesting & entertaining from my view point.

Heaven and HELL are just states of mind as are many other ideas and concepts.

Magic, good luck and such only works on the superstitious.

do you have the EVIL HEX on you?

did you get it?
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 3:14:55 PM
At 9/7/2015 8:38:07 AM, Outplayz wrote:

Hmm let me see. One: Marketing. (This is a sneaky lil thing i'm up to). Two: To learn more about my belief. Three: to learn about others' beliefs. I also like writing. I hope the grammar Nazis teach me how to improve. I like debating, or arguing. But, i am not really debating since i hold no religious belief. I guess i am just debating to see if i can be proven wrong. The way i see things is on the spiritual spectrum. It is interesting to see how far people can push my belief before resorting to ad homs. In which case, i always feel i have come to a tie at that point. No one can prove anything beyond this realm, not even me (that was kinda cocky lol). No one can prove consciousness can survive death (actually looks pretty bad for theists in this regard). However, no one can prove the latter either (spiritually, not religiously). I have grown to look at the spiritual aspect of life a little differently than most. This doesn't mean i am special or anything, bc i wouldn't wish this passion on anyone. Yet, it is a passion of mine to philosophize about the spiritual side of life. I intend to ... well, i'll keep my goals to me. I just want to get better at articulating what i learn here (or other forums), and i want to get better at finding/puzzling what i think of spirituality together from the skepticism/criticism i receive. In conclusion, i am just here to learn what i can.

If your search is for spirituality we have just the thread for you. Our "Most spiritual discusses spirituality"
The thread is still a work in progress. The level of spirituality on DDO is rather low or at least the awareness of a transcendental larger consciousness. Dull lives follow a monotonous rhythm. There is as much aspirations here as a chimp banging on a keyboard hoping to produce an original idea. But be amused, there are hints of honour mixed with their self deprecation.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 8:34:25 PM
So my main question is, what's the point of debating, on a forum, about religion?

My point is usually to show what the Bible really says and correct common wrong ideas and especially all false arguments that atheists have.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 8:57:43 PM
At 9/7/2015 3:14:55 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 9/7/2015 8:38:07 AM, Outplayz wrote:

If your search is for spirituality we have just the thread for you. Our "Most spiritual discusses spirituality"
The thread is still a work in progress. The level of spirituality on DDO is rather low or at least the awareness of a transcendental larger consciousness. Dull lives follow a monotonous rhythm. There is as much aspirations here as a chimp banging on a keyboard hoping to produce an original idea. But be amused, there are hints of honour mixed with their self deprecation.

I've actually already read a bit and commented on that forum. No one has challenged me or given me their take on what i said yet. Maybe i'll direct a question at you so we can start a discussion. I see you have said some interesting points. Thank for the link btw.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 9:04:10 PM
my main question is, what's the point of debating, on a forum, about religion?
Despite being as old as civilisation itself, religion has yet to learn how to treat its believers kindly and respectfully, and how to co-exist respectfully with nonbelief.

And by nonbelief I don't just mean irreligion -- I mean anyone who believes anything at all other than the believer's dogma, for whatever reason.

Until religion works out how to genuinely reconcile faith with humility, how to be accountable for its behaviour in a pluralistic world rather than simply exempting itself from account while holding everyone else to sanctimonious account, it's doomed and dooming us, and we must keep having these conversations.
born_a_spirit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 9:16:54 PM
At 9/7/2015 9:04:10 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
my main question is, what's the point of debating, on a forum, about religion?
Despite being as old as civilisation itself, religion has yet to learn how to treat its believers kindly and respectfully, and how to co-exist respectfully with nonbelief.

And by nonbelief I don't just mean irreligion -- I mean anyone who believes anything at all other than the believer's dogma, for whatever reason.

Until religion works out how to genuinely reconcile faith with humility, how to be accountable for its behaviour in a pluralistic world rather than simply exempting itself from account while holding everyone else to sanctimonious account, it's doomed and dooming us, and we must keep having these conversations. : :

It goes back to the early Babylonian culture when man begin building things with his human hands. My false god is better than your false god. Even today, people are attracted to man's building of things.

You should check out the new Apple campus ;
http://www.macrumors.com...

There will be many new believers of Apple when that gets done.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 9:30:34 PM
most atheists have to be drip fed information, they won't think outside of the box they have chosen to live in, the majority of information they base their non belief upon is usually not factual, many non believers are doing something or have done something they feel would separate them from God for ever as they see God as vengeful and full of wrath, they have only seen or heard the law being taught, If they see the true covenant, the true promise of Grace, undeserved favour of God towards his creation they will know God is waiting for them and will love them unconditionally...
these debates help to show the real attitude of God and get over preconceived notions from misinformed people..
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 10:02:04 PM
At 9/7/2015 9:30:34 PM, graceofgod wrote:
most atheists have to be drip fed information

Unknown in the Middle Ages, the reason atheism became more popular after the Enlightenment was...?
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 10:08:26 PM
At 9/7/2015 3:14:55 PM, Harikrish wrote:
The thread is still a work in progress.

I would say Most Spiritual has yet to commence, Hari.

The thread should really be called: Most Spiritual Discusses Spirituality (Time to be Announced.)
ken1122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 12:35:13 AM

I have never had any interest in converting theists away from their belief system, they can believe whatever they want as long as their beliefs don"t effect me. My reason for debating on these type of forums is because when left to discuss amongst themselves, theists will often make untrue, and offensive claims about atheists such as we cannot be moral, we actually believe but pretend we don"t so we don"t have to feel guilty about doing bad things, etc. Unless an opposing POV is offered, these claims will go unchallenged, so I believe it is necessary to offer an opposing point of view.

Ken
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 12:50:24 AM
So my main question is, what's the point of debating, on a forum, about religion?

Some people get paid to infect debate sites with disinformation. They create fake profiles and fake lives, while also lying about credentials. Recruitment comes from recommendations, and testing recruits before the recommendation usually takes place in the Astral, which may or may not be of awareness to the subject.
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 1:27:13 AM

As an open minded theist this forum is partly what keeps me from abandoning my religion, sure there are more intellectual atheists here but to see one smart theist is refreshing and most of all my questions are asked here.
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"