Total Posts:26|Showing Posts:1-26
Jump to topic:

Is Evolution Religion?

DavidHenson
Posts: 446
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 2:31:03 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
In the Publication American Laboratory a biochemist expressed concern about his children"s schooling: "The child is not presented with evolution as a theory. Subtle statements are made in science texts as early as the second grade (based on my reading of my children"s textbooks). Evolution is presented as reality, not as a concept that can be questioned. The authority of the educational system then compels belief." Regarding evolutionary teaching in higher grades, he said: "A student is not permitted to hold personal beliefs or to state them: if the student does so, he or she is subjected to ridicule and criticism by the instructor. Often the student risks academic loss because his or her views are not "correct" and the grade is lowered." - American Laboratory, "The Editor"s Page," by Donald F."Calbreath, November 1980, p. 10

Many have expressed similar concerns. Do you think that home schooling is a reasonable alternative?
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune
b_sorelson
Posts: 78
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 2:39:39 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/7/2015 2:31:03 AM, DavidHenson wrote:
In the Publication American Laboratory a biochemist expressed concern about his children"s schooling: "The child is not presented with evolution as a theory. Subtle statements are made in science texts as early as the second grade (based on my reading of my children"s textbooks). Evolution is presented as reality, not as a concept that can be questioned. The authority of the educational system then compels belief." Regarding evolutionary teaching in higher grades, he said: "A student is not permitted to hold personal beliefs or to state them: if the student does so, he or she is subjected to ridicule and criticism by the instructor. Often the student risks academic loss because his or her views are not "correct" and the grade is lowered." - American Laboratory, "The Editor"s Page," by Donald F."Calbreath, November 1980, p. 10

Many have expressed similar concerns. Do you think that home schooling is a reasonable alternative? : :

It's important to learn a written and spoken language so that our Creator can use it to reveal His knowledge, which includes the past, present and future. Without Him, we wouldn't exist at all.

I'm sure many of the prophets and saints were home schooled and learned how to read and write so of course home schooling is okay with God.
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 4:50:27 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/7/2015 2:31:03 AM, DavidHenson wrote:
In the Publication American Laboratory a biochemist expressed concern about his children"s schooling: "The child is not presented with evolution as a theory. Subtle statements are made in science texts as early as the second grade (based on my reading of my children"s textbooks). Evolution is presented as reality, not as a concept that can be questioned. The authority of the educational system then compels belief." Regarding evolutionary teaching in higher grades, he said: "A student is not permitted to hold personal beliefs or to state them: if the student does so, he or she is subjected to ridicule and criticism by the instructor. Often the student risks academic loss because his or her views are not "correct" and the grade is lowered." - American Laboratory, "The Editor"s Page," by Donald F."Calbreath, November 1980, p. 10

Many have expressed similar concerns. Do you think that home schooling is a reasonable alternative?

The author can't possibly know what the teaching of evolution looks like in every classroom across the country. In my own advanced bio class in high school, the teacher made it clear that there was a fact of evolution as well as a theory that explained it. He also explained how scientific research is done and that people disagree, but that disagreements based on religion were not scientific and therefore didn't belong in the science classroom. And that was in a small town in Wyoming, where you can't get much more conservative or religious outside of the deep south.

The problems described are issues for individual teachers failing to actually teach the subject properly. If that's a problem in your school, and you can't convince the teacher to cover things properly, then go ahead and homeschool.
ethang5
Posts: 4,115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 3:10:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/7/2015 2:31:03 AM, DavidHenson wrote:

Is Evolution Religion?

Religion;
- a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, (check) especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies (check), usually involving devotional and ritual observances (check), and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs (check).
http://dictionary.reference.com...

Dictionary dot com seems t think so.

Yes.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 3:27:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/30/2015 3:10:12 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 9/7/2015 2:31:03 AM, DavidHenson wrote:

Is Evolution Religion?

Religion;
- a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, (check) especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies (check), usually involving devotional and ritual observances (check), and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs (check).
http://dictionary.reference.com...

Dictionary dot com seems t think so.

Yes.

So, where are the superhuman agencies, ritual observances and moral codes governing the conduct of human affairs contained in evolution?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Chaosism
Posts: 2,669
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 3:44:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/30/2015 3:10:12 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 9/7/2015 2:31:03 AM, DavidHenson wrote:

Is Evolution Religion?

Religion;
- a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, (check) especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies (check), usually involving devotional and ritual observances (check), and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs (check).
http://dictionary.reference.com...

Dictionary dot com seems t think so.

Yes.

Hello, there. I have some contentions with your checklist:

1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe

'Purpose' is outside of the scope of Evolutionary Theory. The diversity of life is the result of the processes detailed by the theory. This also pertains to a specific topic (the diversity of life), which is not related to the topic of the universe.

2. especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies

How do you justify this one?

3. usually involving devotional and ritual observances

Devotional and ritual observances? How so?

4. and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs

This is totally unfounded. There is no philosophy or moral code that is put forth by the Theory of Evolution. A theory is a well-founded explanation of a body of facts, and nothing more. If you are thinking of the term, "survival of the fittest", is meant as a crude representation/description of the definitive selection processes of evolution, and is in no way some kind of doctrine that is suggest by the theory.

Additionally, other mainstream dictionaries have differing definitions, which the Theory of Evolution does not at all qualify for.

Religion : The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods (Oxford)

Religion : 1. the belief in a god or in a group of gods; 2. an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods. (Webster)

Just in case it's claimed that I omitted the alternate definition, another use of this word is very casual, such as "he worked on his car religiously". This is not applicable in the context of this thread's topic.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 4:09:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/30/2015 3:10:12 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 9/7/2015 2:31:03 AM, DavidHenson wrote:

Is Evolution Religion?

Religion;
- a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe,

Not mentioned in modern evolutionary theory.

(check) especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies

Not mentioned in current evolutionary theory.

(check), usually involving devotional and ritual observances (check), and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs (check).

None of which applies to evolutionary theory.

http://dictionary.reference.com...

Dictionary dot com seems t think so.

Yes.

No, you seem to think so. You've conflated a whole bunch of stuff that is totally irrelevant to evolutionary theory and tried to equate it with religion. If religion is so good for you, why do you try to denigrate evolution by trying to make it one too?
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 4:39:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/7/2015 2:31:03 AM, DavidHenson wrote:
In the Publication American Laboratory a biochemist expressed concern about his children"s schooling: "The child is not presented with evolution as a theory. Subtle statements are made in science texts as early as the second grade (based on my reading of my children"s textbooks). Evolution is presented as reality, not as a concept that can be questioned. The authority of the educational system then compels belief." Regarding evolutionary teaching in higher grades, he said: "A student is not permitted to hold personal beliefs or to state them: if the student does so, he or she is subjected to ridicule and criticism by the instructor. Often the student risks academic loss because his or her views are not "correct" and the grade is lowered." - American Laboratory, "The Editor"s Page," by Donald F."Calbreath, November 1980, p. 10

"More importantly, we as Christians need to be prepared in our hearts to fight the battle in front of us: in the classroom, in the political arena, and in the churches that will not stand for traditional biblical values." Donald F. Calbreath

http://www.equip.org...


Many have expressed similar concerns. Do you think that home schooling is a reasonable alternative?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
bulproof
Posts: 25,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 4:52:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/7/2015 2:31:03 AM, DavidHenson wrote:
In the Publication American Laboratory a biochemist expressed concern about his children"s schooling: "The child is not presented with evolution as a theory. Subtle statements are made in science texts as early as the second grade (based on my reading of my children"s textbooks). Evolution is presented as reality, not as a concept that can be questioned. The authority of the educational system then compels belief." Regarding evolutionary teaching in higher grades, he said: "A student is not permitted to hold personal beliefs or to state them: if the student does so, he or she is subjected to ridicule and criticism by the instructor. Often the student risks academic loss because his or her views are not "correct" and the grade is lowered." - American Laboratory, "The Editor"s Page," by Donald F."Calbreath, November 1980, p. 10

Many have expressed similar concerns. Do you think that home schooling is a reasonable alternative?

I didn't even read your post.
I was to busy laughing at your title.
The people like you, who can't even comprehend a life sans a religion of any sort, are so very sad.
Here's a NEWS FLASH life exists.
Life exists without religion.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
ethang5
Posts: 4,115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 5:15:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/30/2015 3:44:30 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/30/2015 3:10:12 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 9/7/2015 2:31:03 AM, DavidHenson wrote:

Is Evolution Religion?

Religion;
- a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, (check) especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies (check), usually involving devotional and ritual observances (check), and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs (check).
http://dictionary.reference.com...

Dictionary dot com seems t think so.

Yes.

Hello, there. I have some contentions with your checklist:

You mean Dictionary Dot com's checklist. But ok.

1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe

'Purpose' is outside of the scope of Evolutionary Theory.

Please tell that to the evolutionists anti-theists here insisting that they have morality and that God is "evil". If it is true that evolution offers no purpose, the moral arguments of atheists are all equal to gibberish.

2. especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies

How do you justify this one?

The superhuman agency for the atheist is nature. They swear by it.

3. usually involving devotional and ritual observances

Devotional and ritual observances? How so?

The infect religion boards claiming to be "fighting" irrationality. they roam the cities looking for manger scenes and crosses to demonstrate against. They have atheist holidays,
http://www.scientistsbible.com...

and Atheist ritual observances

Along with the development of atheist pride, it is natural that we also develop our own celebrations. The Winter Solstice is probably the most widely recognized day in the atheist community. It allows atheists to retain cultural traditions we enjoy but to put them in a strictly secular context. Perhaps because of the importance of the Winter Solstice, many atheists also note the Summer Solstice. On a personal basis, I note the times and locations of the sunrise and sunset on the Winter Solstice, but do little else. The Summer Solstice is more important to me, as it is a great day for camping and celebrating the longest period of daylight in the year.

Other celebrations developing a following in the atheist community include:

Atheist Pride/Freedom from Religion Day, February 12 (Darwin's birthday);
Everybody Draw Mohammed Day, May 20 (protesting Muslim violence toward
artists who draw Mohammed, [[see Chapter 19, Art to Die For]);
National Day of Reason, the first Thursday in May (on the same day as, and in response to, the National Day of Prayer);
LGBT Pride Day, June 28, (in recognition of the shared struggle of LGBT people and atheists for equal right [see Chapter 26, Learning from the Gay Rights Movement]).
http://bornatheist.com...

4. and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs

This is totally unfounded. There is no philosophy or moral code that is put forth by the Theory of Evolution.

I know, so it's puzzling that so many evolutionists here espouse to a moral code they use to judge God! Perhaps you should alert them?

A theory is a well-founded explanation of a body of facts, and nothing more.

Your inclusion of the phrase "well-founded" above renders evolution not a theory.

If you are thinking of the term, "survival of the fittest", is meant as a crude representation/description of the definitive selection processes of evolution, and is in no way some kind of doctrine that is suggest by the theory.

Ok. But there was a time evolutionists didn't try to distance themselves from that gem.

Additionally, other mainstream dictionaries have differing definitions, which the Theory of Evolution does not at all qualify for.

I see nothing amiss with Dictionary Dot com's definition and I doubt you can post a definition by a reputable organization which would contradict the definition given above.

Religion : The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods (Oxford)

It says especially... which means that religions do not need a personal God, just that religions with personal Gods are more common.

Religion : 1. the belief in a god or in a group of gods; 2. an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods. (Webster)

This is only one of the definitions. It in no way disallows evolution. Heck, you guys even "celebrate" Darwins birthday!

Just in case it's claimed that I omitted the alternate definition, another use of this word is very casual, such as "he worked on his car religiously". This is not applicable in the context of this thread's topic.

You attempted to omit the entire definition I gave. But you failed. The definition you supplied does not contradict Dictionary Doc com at all.

Evolutionity is still young. In time, Dawkins, Hawkings, or Darwin might yet be deified.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Posts: 1,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 5:23:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/7/2015 2:31:03 AM, DavidHenson wrote:
In the Publication American Laboratory a biochemist expressed concern about his children"s schooling: "The child is not presented with evolution as a theory. Subtle statements are made in science texts as early as the second grade (based on my reading of my children"s textbooks). Evolution is presented as reality, not as a concept that can be questioned. The authority of the educational system then compels belief." Regarding evolutionary teaching in higher grades, he said: "A student is not permitted to hold personal beliefs or to state them: if the student does so, he or she is subjected to ridicule and criticism by the instructor. Often the student risks academic loss because his or her views are not "correct" and the grade is lowered." - American Laboratory, "The Editor"s Page," by Donald F."Calbreath, November 1980, p. 10

Many have expressed similar concerns. Do you think that home schooling is a reasonable alternative?

It is pretty much a religious belief, yes. Going off of theory to form your so stated fact of what you believe is a like religion. I know some things as facts and some on faith. Evolution Theism is a religion. Evolution Agnostic is science. Scienc3 goes wherever 100% undisputed facts lead. No one has witnessed species evolving into other species. "It takes billions of years" is a hope orbelief. We can't go back billions of years and watch a so called slow progression to see for any certainty what exactly does or does not happen. Bacteria and such mutate but are always bacteria. Much of it is a generalized guess based on what is assumed to happen. Good science knows. It doesn't speculate. If you do not know then faith is involved.
Chaosism
Posts: 2,669
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 6:15:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/30/2015 5:15:55 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 9/30/2015 3:44:30 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/30/2015 3:10:12 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 9/7/2015 2:31:03 AM, DavidHenson wrote:

Is Evolution Religion?

Religion;
- a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, (check) especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies (check), usually involving devotional and ritual observances (check), and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs (check).
http://dictionary.reference.com...

Dictionary dot com seems t think so.

Yes.

Hello, there. I have some contentions with your checklist:

You mean Dictionary Dot com's checklist. But ok.

1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe

'Purpose' is outside of the scope of Evolutionary Theory.

Please tell that to the evolutionists anti-theists here insisting that they have morality and that God is "evil". If it is true that evolution offers no purpose, the moral arguments of atheists are all equal to gibberish.

The ToE makes no claims about God. Morality is a product of evolution, specifically stemming from our development as social beings. Any claims against God are by those atheists; not evolution. Evolution is cited because it conflicts with the creation accounts of religion. However, there is even a belief of Theistic Evolution, which is held my many Christians.

2. especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies

How do you justify this one?

The superhuman agency for the atheist is nature. They swear by it.

That's naturalism. That is not a claim that is made by evolution.

3. usually involving devotional and ritual observances

Devotional and ritual observances? How so?

The infect religion boards claiming to be "fighting" irrationality. they roam the cities looking for manger scenes and crosses to demonstrate against. They have atheist holidays,
http://www.scientistsbible.com...

That's atheism, not the Theory of Evolution. The word "evolution" does not even appear anywhere in there.

and Atheist ritual observances

Along with the development of atheist pride, it is natural that we also develop our own celebrations. The Winter Solstice is probably the most widely recognized day in the atheist community. It allows atheists to retain cultural traditions we enjoy but to put them in a strictly secular context. Perhaps because of the importance of the Winter Solstice, many atheists also note the Summer Solstice. On a personal basis, I note the times and locations of the sunrise and sunset on the Winter Solstice, but do little else. The Summer Solstice is more important to me, as it is a great day for camping and celebrating the longest period of daylight in the year.

Other celebrations developing a following in the atheist community include:

Atheist Pride/Freedom from Religion Day, February 12 (Darwin's birthday);
Everybody Draw Mohammed Day, May 20 (protesting Muslim violence toward
artists who draw Mohammed, [[see Chapter 19, Art to Die For]);
National Day of Reason, the first Thursday in May (on the same day as, and in response to, the National Day of Prayer);
LGBT Pride Day, June 28, (in recognition of the shared struggle of LGBT people and atheists for equal right [see Chapter 26, Learning from the Gay Rights Movement]).
http://bornatheist.com...

This has nothing to do with the Theory of Evolution.

4. and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs

This is totally unfounded. There is no philosophy or moral code that is put forth by the Theory of Evolution.

I know, so it's puzzling that so many evolutionists here espouse to a moral code they use to judge God! Perhaps you should alert them?

Show me where evolution is used as a direct means of judging God. It is just cited to explain why we have a sense of morality. The individuals arguing are making that judgment against God.

A theory is a well-founded explanation of a body of facts, and nothing more.

Your inclusion of the phrase "well-founded" above renders evolution not a theory.

You can dispute that with the scientific community.

If you are thinking of the term, "survival of the fittest", is meant as a crude representation/description of the definitive selection processes of evolution, and is in no way some kind of doctrine that is suggest by the theory.

Ok. But there was a time evolutionists didn't try to distance themselves from that gem.

It's still a valid representation, it just doesn't provide a means of living your life. Someone doing so is abusing something that he doesn't understand.

Additionally, other mainstream dictionaries have differing definitions, which the Theory of Evolution does not at all qualify for.

I see nothing amiss with Dictionary Dot com's definition and I doubt you can post a definition by a reputable organization which would contradict the definition given above.


Religion : The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods (Oxford)

It says especially... which means that religions do not need a personal God, just that religions with personal Gods are more common.

There is no "worship" of an explanation of facts. And there is no "superhuman controlling power" in evolution.

Religion : 1. the belief in a god or in a group of gods; 2. an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods. (Webster)

This is only one of the definitions. It in no way disallows evolution. Heck, you guys even "celebrate" Darwins birthday!

The other definitions don't say anything significantly different. What does celebrating someone's birthday have to do with being a religion? That's just a token of recognition of someone regarded with importance, like the other birthdays that we recognize, like Columbus.

Just in case it's claimed that I omitted the alternate definition, another use of this word is very casual, such as "he worked on his car religiously". This is not applicable in the context of this thread's topic.

You attempted to omit the entire definition I gave. But you failed. The definition you supplied does not contradict Dictionary Doc com at all.

Omit means to "leave out". See above.

Evolutionity is still young. In time, Dawkins, Hawkings, or Darwin might yet be deified.

It is always the case that a scientific theory can be defied. As soon as evidence emerges that refutes it, it must either account for the evidence or be discarded. This is way outside the scope of this topic, though.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 6:27:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/30/2015 5:15:55 PM, ethang5 wrote:

The superhuman agency for the atheist is nature. They swear by it.

The infect religion boards claiming to be "fighting" irrationality. they roam the cities looking for manger scenes and crosses to demonstrate against. They have atheist holidays,


I know, so it's puzzling that so many evolutionists here espouse to a moral code they use to judge God! Perhaps you should alert them?

I see nothing amiss with Dictionary Dot com's definition and I doubt you can post a definition by a reputable organization which would contradict the definition given above.

Evolutionity is still young. In time, Dawkins, Hawkings, or Darwin might yet be deified.

Thanks ethan, I suspected your post above to be disingenuous, thanks for confirming that for me.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
ethang5
Posts: 4,115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 7:06:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/30/2015 6:27:11 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/30/2015 5:15:55 PM, ethang5 wrote:

The superhuman agency for the atheist is nature. They swear by it.

The infect religion boards claiming to be "fighting" irrationality. they roam the cities looking for manger scenes and crosses to demonstrate against. They have atheist holidays,


I know, so it's puzzling that so many evolutionists here espouse to a moral code they use to judge God! Perhaps you should alert them?

I see nothing amiss with Dictionary Dot com's definition and I doubt you can post a definition by a reputable organization which would contradict the definition given above.

Evolutionity is still young. In time, Dawkins, Hawkings, or Darwin might yet be deified.

Thanks ethan, I suspected your post above to be disingenuous, thanks for confirming that for me.

I'd love to take the credit DJR, but you confirmed that all by yourself.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 7:19:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/30/2015 7:06:36 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 9/30/2015 6:27:11 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/30/2015 5:15:55 PM, ethang5 wrote:

The superhuman agency for the atheist is nature. They swear by it.

The infect religion boards claiming to be "fighting" irrationality. they roam the cities looking for manger scenes and crosses to demonstrate against. They have atheist holidays,


I know, so it's puzzling that so many evolutionists here espouse to a moral code they use to judge God! Perhaps you should alert them?

I see nothing amiss with Dictionary Dot com's definition and I doubt you can post a definition by a reputable organization which would contradict the definition given above.

Evolutionity is still young. In time, Dawkins, Hawkings, or Darwin might yet be deified.

Thanks ethan, I suspected your post above to be disingenuous, thanks for confirming that for me.

I'd love to take the credit DJR, but you confirmed that all by yourself.

Well, at the very least, we both agree your post was indeed confirmed to be disingenuous.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
ethang5
Posts: 4,115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 7:25:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/30/2015 7:19:23 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/30/2015 7:06:36 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 9/30/2015 6:27:11 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/30/2015 5:15:55 PM, ethang5 wrote:

The superhuman agency for the atheist is nature. They swear by it.

The infect religion boards claiming to be "fighting" irrationality. they roam the cities looking for manger scenes and crosses to demonstrate against. They have atheist holidays,


I know, so it's puzzling that so many evolutionists here espouse to a moral code they use to judge God! Perhaps you should alert them?

I see nothing amiss with Dictionary Dot com's definition and I doubt you can post a definition by a reputable organization which would contradict the definition given above.

Evolutionity is still young. In time, Dawkins, Hawkings, or Darwin might yet be deified.

Thanks ethan, I suspected your post above to be disingenuous, thanks for confirming that for me.

I'd love to take the credit DJR, but you confirmed that all by yourself.

Well, at the very least, we both agree your post was indeed confirmed to be disingenuous.

Confirmed in your mind, where you think reality resides, and I know better.
janesix
Posts: 3,467
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 7:29:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/7/2015 2:31:03 AM, DavidHenson wrote:
In the Publication American Laboratory a biochemist expressed concern about his children"s schooling: "The child is not presented with evolution as a theory. Subtle statements are made in science texts as early as the second grade (based on my reading of my children"s textbooks). Evolution is presented as reality, not as a concept that can be questioned. The authority of the educational system then compels belief." Regarding evolutionary teaching in higher grades, he said: "A student is not permitted to hold personal beliefs or to state them: if the student does so, he or she is subjected to ridicule and criticism by the instructor. Often the student risks academic loss because his or her views are not "correct" and the grade is lowered." - American Laboratory, "The Editor"s Page," by Donald F."Calbreath, November 1980, p. 10

Many have expressed similar concerns. Do you think that home schooling is a reasonable alternative?

Why homeschool? Can't you teach your kids critical thinking skills? They will eventually be forced into the real world, and have to learn to deal with life.
Madeline1698
Posts: 5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 8:25:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
First of all your post title is idiotic, and second of all evolution is true. Scientists are currently replicating it in much smaller scales. So the reason it is shown to kids as fact is because it is fact.
Be kind and fair.
janesix
Posts: 3,467
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 8:34:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/30/2015 8:25:11 PM, Madeline1698 wrote:
First of all your post title is idiotic, and second of all evolution is true. Scientists are currently replicating it in much smaller scales. So the reason it is shown to kids as fact is because it is fact.

How are scientists "replicating" evolution?
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 8:49:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/7/2015 2:31:03 AM, DavidHenson wrote:
In the Publication American Laboratory a biochemist expressed concern about his children"s schooling:
American Laboratory, "The Editor"s Page," by Donald F."Calbreath, November 1980, p. 10

David, that opinion is 35 years old. Biology has come a long way since then -- in part due to advances in genetics. In the late 1970s, evolution was still viewed by some biologists as a theory. Nowadays, virtually all research biologists also view it as a fact.

So it's quite legitimate to list evolution as a definitive mechanism in school science books, to list common ancestry as beyond reasonable doubt, and to explore the origins of specific species putatively, depending on how confidently each species is known.

Do you think that home schooling is a reasonable alternative?
Unless parents accept, adopt and are accountable for teaching to a core secular curriculum, and unless they can demonstrate sufficient teaching skills to do so effectively, in a modern society, homeschooling is narcissistic child abuse.
Hitchian
Posts: 764
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 8:53:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/7/2015 2:31:03 AM, DavidHenson wrote:
In the Publication American Laboratory a biochemist expressed concern about his children"s schooling: "The child is not presented with evolution as a theory. Subtle statements are made in science texts as early as the second grade (based on my reading of my children"s textbooks). Evolution is presented as reality, not as a concept that can be questioned. The authority of the educational system then compels belief." Regarding evolutionary teaching in higher grades, he said: "A student is not permitted to hold personal beliefs or to state them: if the student does so, he or she is subjected to ridicule and criticism by the instructor. Often the student risks academic loss because his or her views are not "correct" and the grade is lowered." - American Laboratory, "The Editor"s Page," by Donald F."Calbreath, November 1980, p. 10

Many have expressed similar concerns. Do you think that home schooling is a reasonable alternative?

No.
Evolution is not a religion in any meaningful sense of the word.
You can try to rebrand religion as "lettuce cup" and say that religion makes for wonderful cocktail bites, but that would be just as silly as the dishonest attempt to say Evolution is a religion.

1. It is based on and subject to evidence. Provide evidence to the contrary or that supports an alternative view and honest people who believe in Evolution will change their minds. Notice that evolutionists will readily tell you what would change their minds. On the contrary, dwell on the reluctance with which religious people answer that question, if they do answer it, as most of the times they will simply dodge it altogether.

2. Evolution exhibits none of the traits of organized religion. There's no ultimate authority, such as a pope, an archbishop or a patriarch. There are no binding dogmas, such the Holy trinity; everything is open to dispute. No one claims to be inspired or even directed by a Supreme being who let him know the absolute truth on the matter. Evolutionary theory is derived following the scientific method, a claim which no religion would ever be able to make.

3. Lots of Christians, Muslims and believers from other faiths are evolutionists. From an empirical point of view, this indicates their hold their truly religious beliefs at the same time that subscribe to the scientific theory of Evolution by natural selection.

Home-schooling is the right way to go about it if you want to put your children at an immense disadvantage from the get go. The fact some would be to go to this extreme just to prevent their young ones from getting acquainted with contemporary evolutionary theory is a disgrace.

It is further and redundant proof that some brands of religion are hazardous
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Posts: 1,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 9:25:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/30/2015 8:53:45 PM, Hitchian wrote:
At 9/7/2015 2:31:03 AM, DavidHenson wrote:
In the Publication American Laboratory a biochemist expressed concern about his children"s schooling: "The child is not presented with evolution as a theory. Subtle statements are made in science texts as early as the second grade (based on my reading of my children"s textbooks). Evolution is presented as reality, not as a concept that can be questioned. The authority of the educational system then compels belief." Regarding evolutionary teaching in higher grades, he said: "A student is not permitted to hold personal beliefs or to state them: if the student does so, he or she is subjected to ridicule and criticism by the instructor. Often the student risks academic loss because his or her views are not "correct" and the grade is lowered." - American Laboratory, "The Editor"s Page," by Donald F."Calbreath, November 1980, p. 10

Many have expressed similar concerns. Do you think that home schooling is a reasonable alternative?

No.
Evolution is not a religion in any meaningful sense of the word.
You can try to rebrand religion as "lettuce cup" and say that religion makes for wonderful cocktail bites, but that would be just as silly as the dishonest attempt to say Evolution is a religion.

1. It is based on and subject to evidence. Provide evidence to the contrary or that supports an alternative view and honest people who believe in Evolution will change their minds. Notice that evolutionists will readily tell you what would change their minds. On the contrary, dwell on the reluctance with which religious people answer that question, if they do answer it, as most of the times they will simply dodge it altogether.

2. Evolution exhibits none of the traits of organized religion. There's no ultimate authority, such as a pope, an archbishop or a patriarch. There are no binding dogmas, such the Holy trinity; everything is open to dispute. No one claims to be inspired or even directed by a Supreme being who let him know the absolute truth on the matter. Evolutionary theory is derived following the scientific method, a claim which no religion would ever be able to make.

3. Lots of Christians, Muslims and believers from other faiths are evolutionists. From an empirical point of view, this indicates their hold their truly religious beliefs at the same time that subscribe to the scientific theory of Evolution by natural selection.

Home-schooling is the right way to go about it if you want to put your children at an immense disadvantage from the get go. The fact some would be to go to this extreme just to prevent their young ones from getting acquainted with contemporary evolutionary theory is a disgrace.

It is further and redundant proof that some brands of religion are hazardous

I personally have no big problem with Creationism vs. Evolution. If Evolution is how we came into being, it does"'t challenge my beliefs at all. If Evolution is false, that indicates something extrreme or superntural. If Evolution were a fact, then I see that simply as one explanation for how things became as they are under God's design system. As for science, the theoryis unable to be proven at this point. There are parts of it find to be probably in some way explanatory and very possible, but good science doesn't state anything as a "fact" until it is proven with present observation and repeated same results by multiple intities. Noncreationists would expect the same. There are things that are very notable and factual and evidence ba"ed within my faith. And some of it is just that, faith. I've had enough bizarrly answered prayers based throughfaith at this point that I'm beyond convinced. It used to notbe that way, but God showed me individually when and what I needed to see. Someone may feel skeptical, and I expect that. If we traded experiences, they would see what I see and have the scars that go with it. But, I don't know how to make that trade. Therefore, I keep sharing, and I don't quit. I believe each of you who are basically decent would do the same in my position. Hopefully this was constructive to someone reguarding a Creationist's viewpoint.
beng100
Posts: 1,055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 10:14:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/7/2015 2:31:03 AM, DavidHenson wrote:
In the Publication American Laboratory a biochemist expressed concern about his children"s schooling: "The child is not presented with evolution as a theory. Subtle statements are made in science texts as early as the second grade (based on my reading of my children"s textbooks). Evolution is presented as reality, not as a concept that can be questioned. The authority of the educational system then compels belief." Regarding evolutionary teaching in higher grades, he said: "A student is not permitted to hold personal beliefs or to state them: if the student does so, he or she is subjected to ridicule and criticism by the instructor. Often the student risks academic loss because his or her views are not "correct" and the grade is lowered." - American Laboratory, "The Editor"s Page," by Donald F."Calbreath, November 1980, p. 10

Many have expressed similar concerns. Do you think that home schooling is a reasonable alternative?

The reason evolution is presented as a fact is that it is scientifically proven. You choose to deny science. That is your decision but in my view not a logical one. It's like claiming 1+1=3. It's just not a logical approach. How in any way can evolution be doubted? It makes sense to teach children the more logical rational answer. You can claim 1+1=3, teach it to a child and they would assume it correct. This would be irresponsible though and hinder the child's learning and development. That is effectively what you are suggesting. Home schooling children to teach them false information and disregard factual knowledge. It is irresponsible and illogical.
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 10:58:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
As The Apostle Paul wrote in his letter to Timothy,

"nor give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which cause disputes rather than godly edification which is in faith."

Really though, evolution isn't religion. Given its lack of utility, I'd say it is probably closer to intellectual vanity than religion. It's not a terrible explanation for the diversity of life on this planet.

People who use evolution to justify things reveal a great deal about what it is their hearts are invested in.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
Hitchian
Posts: 764
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2015 5:12:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/30/2015 10:58:39 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
As The Apostle Paul wrote in his letter to Timothy,

"nor give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which cause disputes rather than godly edification which is in faith."


Really though, evolution isn't religion. Given its lack of utility, I'd say it is probably closer to intellectual vanity than religion. It's not a terrible explanation for the diversity of life on this planet.

People who use evolution to justify things reveal a great deal about what it is their hearts are invested in.

Lack of utility? Knowledge is its own reward. Besides, evolutionary biology is at the heart of many important advances in the medical sciences. Perhaps you should investigate further. As for intelectual vanity, I'm obliged to say there's a stench of irony in that statement, coming as it does from the most vain, self-aggrandizing member on the religious forum.

Evolution is true. Truth has implications. The fact of evolution has implications.
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2015 5:15:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/1/2015 5:12:06 PM, Hitchian wrote:
At 9/30/2015 10:58:39 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
As The Apostle Paul wrote in his letter to Timothy,

"nor give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which cause disputes rather than godly edification which is in faith."


Really though, evolution isn't religion. Given its lack of utility, I'd say it is probably closer to intellectual vanity than religion. It's not a terrible explanation for the diversity of life on this planet.

People who use evolution to justify things reveal a great deal about what it is their hearts are invested in.

Lack of utility? Knowledge is its own reward. Besides, evolutionary biology is at the heart of many important advances in the medical sciences. Perhaps you should investigate further. As for intelectual vanity, I'm obliged to say there's a stench of irony in that statement, coming as it does from the most vain, self-aggrandizing member on the religious forum.

Evolution is true. Truth has implications. The fact of evolution has implications.

What would you say those implications are?
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer