Jump to topic:

Christians why your version of the Bible

POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 7:13:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
is true? and where can you say any version of the Bible has the authority to say its "authentic"? how? why your Bible is based on manuscripts centuries atfer Jesus's death? and how can you pick some version and how the hell can you trust anonymous books? how you define what is include in your BIble or not?
Never fart near dog
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 8:30:43 PM
At 9/12/2015 7:13:48 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:
is true? and where can you say any version of the Bible has the authority to say its "authentic"? how? why your Bible is based on manuscripts centuries atfer Jesus's death? and how can you pick some version and how the hell can you trust anonymous books? how you define what is include in your BIble or not?

Apostolic authority.
zoinks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 8:38:34 PM

I'm not answering your key question, I suppose, but I must correct some things.

Most experts believe the key scriptures in the Christian bible were written within the first century after the death of Jesus of Nazareth.

This should help you understand not only that concept but a variety of others as well:

http://www.bc.edu...
witness2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 4:12:10 AM
is true? and where can you say any version of the Bible has the authority to say its "authentic"? how? why your Bible is based on manuscripts centuries atfer Jesus's death? and how can you pick some version and how the hell can you trust anonymous books? how you define what is include in your BIble or not? : :

Christians have no idea who wrote the NT writings. They believe the liars who wrote those books to convince their followers ( Christians ) that Jesus was their Lord and Savior. No man can create a man and save him. Only our ONE TRUE GOD can do that.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 4:34:15 PM
At 9/12/2015 8:38:34 PM, zoinks wrote:

I'm not answering your key question, I suppose, but I must correct some things.

Most experts believe the key scriptures in the Christian bible were written within the first century after the death of Jesus of Nazareth.

This should help you understand not only that concept but a variety of others as well:

http://www.bc.edu...

Sure but the oldest manuscripts that we have today were written centuries after their supposed datings of the originals... most of the material manuscripts date after the 10th century....
Never fart near dog
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 10:23:37 PM
Scripture inevitably gets corrupted, even if the exact words are preserved. This is one of the points of the Gospel.

Muslims of the future are eventually going to figure out that their diligent preservation of the Qur'an isn't going to save parts of it from eventually becoming unintelligible. The Qur'an is quite possibly the most beautiful, lucid, and well preserved scriptures, but already it can be witnessed how corrupted its meaning has become even in the Muslim world.

Idolatry of scripture is a real thing. The Qur'an truly is divine, and points to the creator. However, scripture, no matter how perfect, is still creation. Worship the creator, not creation. Submit to God, not this entity called "Islam".

I say this with absolute respect, and it is not my intention to belittle the importance of studying the Qur'an in order to facilitate the acquisition of true wisdom.

As it is was revealed by God through the apostle Paul, "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work."

As it is also revealed by God through the apostle Paul, " For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Gentile. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith.""
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 4:23:52 AM

There are various ways in which these questions could be answered.

Imagine a machine was created to get you from one point to another in some way. It is discovered that there is a book, supposedly provided by the manufacturer of the machine on what to do and what not to do, but there is some dispute as to actually wrote the book.

Many people ignore the book, for various reasons. Maybe they are too lazy, maybe they will just hope that all goes well without having to read it, maybe they think that it doesn't require reading a book to operate, only common sense is required, maybe they have formed some opinions contrary to the contents of the book.

Other people read the book but don't understand it, or haven't the will to do what it says.

Still other people will not read it and only pay attention to those who seem to make sense of it so they won't have to. They may pay those people, without knowing whether the people they have paid are worthy of it.

Maybe similar machines come along and similar books with slight variations crop up and people start to argue over which one is the best, still others will think it wise to glean as much from each one, comparing them to get a broader pictures is a good idea.

All Bibles are imperfect just as all tools are abused. All people are imperfect. Some will fall and some will rise above.

Wait a minute . . . I think I'm posting in the wrong thread. No, no. Sorry. I got it right.
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 4:26:12 AM
At 9/13/2015 4:12:10 AM, witness2 wrote:
Christians have no idea who wrote the NT writings. They believe the liars who wrote those books to convince their followers ( Christians ) that Jesus was their Lord and Savior. No man can create a man and save him. Only our ONE TRUE GOD can do that.

Wow. How absurd. How many of there are you?
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 4:27:16 AM
At 9/15/2015 4:34:15 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:
Sure but the oldest manuscripts that we have today were written centuries after their supposed datings of the originals... most of the material manuscripts date after the 10th century....

So?
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 4:35:01 AM
At 9/15/2015 10:23:37 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
Scripture inevitably gets corrupted, even if the exact words are preserved. This is one of the points of the Gospel.

Muslims of the future are eventually going to figure out that their diligent preservation of the Qur'an isn't going to save parts of it from eventually becoming unintelligible. The Qur'an is quite possibly the most beautiful, lucid, and well preserved scriptures, but already it can be witnessed how corrupted its meaning has become even in the Muslim world.

I have no doubt that the meaning of any religious, political or philosophical excursion ever known to man has only ever been transmogrified, if not in copy then in principle, but what I can't understand is how, even bearing any linguistic preference of translation, the Quran could possibly be thought to be anything other than the repetition of xenophobic measure by a simi-illiterate socially frustrated liar who was profoundly ignorant of the Bible but thought it could bring about some moral reform that Moses must have overlooked.

Pure, unadulterated stupidity.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 4:49:51 AM

Its simple, even from an outsiders view. God knew what would be derived from his inspired word. therefore even the versions which include flat out changed verses, those were already considered by God in advanced and knew by him what they would be changed to. Its called infinite wisdom. Very difficult to grasp but nonetheless planned. There are no wrong versions, there are only pre~planned variations and ideas to provoke thoughts.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 12:30:03 PM
At 9/16/2015 4:35:01 AM, DavidHenson wrote:
At 9/15/2015 10:23:37 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:

I have no doubt that the meaning of any religious, political or philosophical excursion ever known to man has only ever been transmogrified, if not in copy then in principle, but what I can't understand is how, even bearing any linguistic preference of translation, the Quran could possibly be thought to be anything other than the repetition of xenophobic measure by a simi-illiterate socially frustrated liar who was profoundly ignorant of the Bible but thought it could bring about some moral reform that Moses must have overlooked.

Pure, unadulterated stupidity.

The Qur'an looks bad when bits and pieces of it are taken out of context in an attempt to make it say something that it isn't really saying. Almost universally, the verses people quote to attack The Qur'an can be refuted simply by reading what is written immediately before or after.

The Qur'an stands pretty good on it's own, but seriously studying the life of Mohammed reveals that he was a man who dealt righteously with the very difficult situations he was appointed to mediate over.

Though what I just said is true, it is also true that 23% of the world's population stands behind The Qur'an and Mohammed. The people who practice Islam are not going to hear a word you say if you blaspheme their sincerely held convictions, especially when they are so certain that what has been given to them is of God. If you do not believe what I say about the nobleness of the Qur'an, at the very least see how scoffing, mocking, and insulting the scripture or prophet is not conducive to getting anything useful done.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 3:01:41 PM
At 9/16/2015 12:30:03 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
The Qur'an looks bad when bits and pieces of it are taken out of context in an attempt to make it say something that it isn't really saying. Almost universally, the verses people quote to attack The Qur'an can be refuted simply by reading what is written immediately before or after.

On three different occasions I have copied, corrected and published three different English translations of the Quran. The last time I basically re-translated the text in it's entirety with modern and corrected text, researching the meaning of texts where time or Islamic specific words were used and adjusting the text accordingly.

http://www.pathwaymachine.com...

When I reflect upon the meaning of the Quran as a whole there are only a few things I come away with. Primarily that there were a small group of people who, seeing that existing traditions and cultural changes had, over time, produced divisions in society that were all, in their own way, corrupt, and that something should be done about it.

The writing reflect this by making only a few observations and then those are repeated as if various writers were giving brief statements to that effect. They are the following.

1. There are four types of people in the search for God. Jews, Christians, unbelievers and us. The Jews and Christians are all good people searching for God in their own way, but they've lost their way and have become corrupted. They should be left alone unless they try and impede our own search for God.

It seems likely, even reading the text itself, that this becomes problematic in its potential for abuse. If you have this small group of people living within a society where there are the corrupted traditions of opposing ideologies, Jewish, Christian and non-believers, all struggling for resources within a relatively confined space and time, you are going to have social, political and ideological dispute even when those disputes will most likely, in reality, be about something far more practical. Xenophobic domination of those resources and expansion of the dominant ideology through social and political force.

The result it that practically anyone who believes something other than what you believe is perceived as a threat and dehumanized and demonized so that their destruction and the taking of their property is justified.

2. The unbelievers and the ones who are loosely bound to the traditions of their forefathers are a bane to our existence and a mockery of all that we hold dear and strive to develop, in a very practical and social way.

3. Even among ourselves we must guard against greed, homosexuality, and unfair emotional responses during our personal family lives. Some basic rules of engagement are provided to do this, especially regarding charity, childbearing and divorce.

4. Though the Jews and Christians are basically good people also searching for God as a whole they are hypocrites who pervert the meaning of the Bible. Throughout the Quran various Bible "stories" are briefly referenced and propounded upon. While the pagan influenced Platonic (Greek philosopher Plato) trinity is rightfully marked and rejected, the assumption that God is so great he couldn't bear a son is wrongly made. If God created beings in this way he had a son.

That, in my opinion, sums up the entirety of the grossly expanded text of the Quran.

The Qur'an stands pretty good on it's own, but seriously studying the life of Mohammed reveals that he was a man who dealt righteously with the very difficult situations he was appointed to mediate over.

Good for him, but so what? He was a man. If it were not for a culturally strict adherence to the traditions of men he rejected he would have nothing more than another one to offer in order to complicate matters.

Though what I just said is true, it is also true that 23% of the world's population stands behind The Qur'an and Mohammed. The people who practice Islam are not going to hear a word you say if you blaspheme their sincerely held convictions, especially when they are so certain that what has been given to them is of God. If you do not believe what I say about the nobleness of the Qur'an, at the very least see how scoffing, mocking, and insulting the scripture or prophet is not conducive to getting anything useful done.

You know what they say about opinions. Everyone has one. The skeptic often protests the believer's favor over one specific text over any other, but they tend to do so without having given any of them any thought whatsoever. I give them all a fair examination and find the Quran to be the opinion of a relative few which over time has been massively adhered to by a large group of people in a traditional sense.

It isn't inspired. It isn't God dictating to men what to tell men, it is, rather, men dictating to men what they imagine God would have said if he really had talked to them.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 5:30:03 PM
At 9/16/2015 3:01:41 PM, DavidHenson wrote:

On three different occasions I have copied, corrected and published three different English translations of the Quran. The last time I basically re-translated the text in it's entirety with modern and corrected text, researching the meaning of texts where time or Islamic specific words were used and adjusting the text accordingly.

When I reflect upon the meaning of the Quran as a whole there are only a few things I come away with. Primarily that there were a small group of people who, seeing that existing traditions and cultural changes had, over time, produced divisions in society that were all, in their own way, corrupt, and that something should be done about it.

The writing reflect this by making only a few observations and then those are repeated as if various writers were giving brief statements to that effect. They are the following.

1. There are four types of people in the search for God. Jews, Christians, unbelievers and us. The Jews and Christians are all good people searching for God in their own way, but they've lost their way and have become corrupted. They should be left alone unless they try and impede our own search for God.

It seems likely, even reading the text itself, that this becomes problematic in its potential for abuse. If you have this small group of people living within a society where there are the corrupted traditions of opposing ideologies, Jewish, Christian and non-believers, all struggling for resources within a relatively confined space and time, you are going to have social, political and ideological dispute even when those disputes will most likely, in reality, be about something far more practical. Xenophobic domination of those resources and expansion of the dominant ideology through social and political force.

The result it that practically anyone who believes something other than what you believe is perceived as a threat and dehumanized and demonized so that their destruction and the taking of their property is justified.

2. The unbelievers and the ones who are loosely bound to the traditions of their forefathers are a bane to our existence and a mockery of all that we hold dear and strive to develop, in a very practical and social way.

3. Even among ourselves we must guard against greed, homosexuality, and unfair emotional responses during our personal family lives. Some basic rules of engagement are provided to do this, especially regarding charity, childbearing and divorce.

4. Though the Jews and Christians are basically good people also searching for God as a whole they are hypocrites who pervert the meaning of the Bible. Throughout the Quran various Bible "stories" are briefly referenced and propounded upon. While the pagan influenced Platonic (Greek philosopher Plato) trinity is rightfully marked and rejected, the assumption that God is so great he couldn't bear a son is wrongly made. If God created beings in this way he had a son.

That, in my opinion, sums up the entirety of the grossly expanded text of the Quran.

Good for him, but so what? He was a man. If it were not for a culturally strict adherence to the traditions of men he rejected he would have nothing more than another one to offer in order to complicate matters.

You know what they say about opinions. Everyone has one. The skeptic often protests the believer's favor over one specific text over any other, but they tend to do so without having given any of them any thought whatsoever. I give them all a fair examination and find the Quran to be the opinion of a relative few which over time has been massively adhered to by a large group of people in a traditional sense.

It isn't inspired. It isn't God dictating to men what to tell men, it is, rather, men dictating to men what they imagine God would have said if he really had talked to them.

I think that trying to examine the reasons and motivations behind the creation of scripture is a fools game, and it isn't conducive to getting the point of what the text is saying.

There is One God. The Truth, The Ultimate Reality, the Sovreign over all. The Qur'an demonstrates that it knows The One God.

Peace comes from accepting God's sovereignty.

Stay focused on God with sincerity, constantly purifying yourself through diligent and mindful prayer.

Help the poor and afflicted.

The religion that the Qur'an prescribes is the same one that is prescribed in the New Testament. Every apostasy of the Christian church was prophesied of in the Epistles, and the Qur'an only confirms these prophesies.

In my opinion, the Qur'an is very complimentary to the New Testament. In my opinion, Muslims have a great deal to learn from the New Testament. Often times, Muslims commit the idolatries that are addressed in New Testament scripture, and often times Christians commit idolatries that are addressed in Qur'anic scripture.

They are complimentary. I can say with all confidence as a theologian and missionary who works in the name of Jesus Christ that Muslims are our brothers, and there are a lot of things that we can get done by working together.

I have a lot of respect for those who identify as Muslim and are sincere in their faith. As far as I'm concerned, they are on a good path. As the Qur'an states, the way of life prescribed to a Muslim is Sincerity of Faith and Charity. This is the same way of life prescribed by Jesus.

tidalwave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 5:34:30 PM
At 9/16/2015 3:01:41 PM, DavidHenson wrote:

It isn't inspired. It isn't God dictating to men what to tell men, it is, rather, men dictating to men what they imagine God would have said if he really had talked to them. : :

You need to stop reading all these books and start listening to the voice of the Lord. Then you will learn how He created everything and what HIs plan is for the future.
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 6:15:49 PM
At 9/17/2015 5:34:30 PM, tidalwave wrote:
You need to stop reading all these books and start listening to the voice of the Lord. Then you will learn how He created everything and what HIs plan is for the future.

Yeah, that's what I need. But I'm not psychotic, so I'm going to need your help. Explain it all to me where the Bible got it wrong and the voices in your head when you abstain from your ego or your medication, or whatever - has to say about it OTHER than that you are a very special person who everyone should listen to if only they were not sinful just the same as you.
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 6:49:45 PM
At 9/17/2015 5:30:03 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
I think that trying to examine the reasons and motivations behind the creation of scripture is a fools game, and it isn't conducive to getting the point of what the text is saying.

Yeah, you may have a point. Instead of examining the scriptures to see what they say lets pretend they say something else and then commence killing one another on the premise of ignorance. Lets try something new.

There is One God.

There are billions of gods.

The Truth, The Ultimate Reality, the Sovreign over all. The Qur'an demonstrates that it knows The One God.

The Quran demonstrates that there are millions of idiots. Big surprise.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 7:23:46 PM
At 9/17/2015 6:49:45 PM, DavidHenson wrote:
At 9/17/2015 5:30:03 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:

Yeah, you may have a point. Instead of examining the scriptures to see what they say lets pretend they say something else and then commence killing one another on the premise of ignorance. Lets try something new.

There is One God.

There are billions of gods.

The Truth, The Ultimate Reality, the Sovreign over all. The Qur'an demonstrates that it knows The One God.

The Quran demonstrates that there are millions of idiots. Big surprise.

By all means, have faith in your current understanding. If you are interested in edifying conversation, I'll be happy to correct you where you err when you adopt an attitude that is conducive to communication.

Forsake foolishness and live,
And go in the way of understanding.
"He who corrects a scoffer gets shame for himself,
And he who rebukes a wicked man only harms himself.
Do not correct a scoffer, lest he hate you;
Rebuke a wise man, and he will love you.
Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser;
Teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,
And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
For by me your days will be multiplied,
And years of life will be added to you.
If you are wise, you are wise for yourself,
And if you scoff, you will bear it alone."

tidalwave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 11:36:00 PM
At 9/17/2015 6:15:49 PM, DavidHenson wrote:
At 9/17/2015 5:34:30 PM, tidalwave wrote:

Yeah, that's what I need. But I'm not psychotic, so I'm going to need your help. Explain it all to me where the Bible got it wrong and the voices in your head when you abstain from your ego or your medication, or whatever - has to say about it OTHER than that you are a very special person who everyone should listen to if only they were not sinful just the same as you. : :

The spirit of God that I speak from cannot sin but the flesh that's writing this sentence is the sinner who will perish soon.

The voice of the Lord is the word of the Lord that is testified to by God's prophets and us saints. It took Him 28 1/2 years to get me to totally trust Him before He began to have me testify to His Word ( knowledge ) on June 16th, 2008.

Here are the first words that God gave me to write down on June 16th, 2008 out of the millions of words He's had me write and speak for Him since then. You won't find these proverbs of truth in any book of this world;

No man has the truth except for those who have received it and is guarded by the one who gave it.

Only those who have laid down their life for it, can see it.

Truth is not of this world but it exposes this world for what it is and leaves it naked and exposed for those who understand it.

Truth was never intended for those who aren't truthful. Lies are their nature.

Truth has the right to condemn those who don't have it.

Truth is the justice that mere man cannot conceive. The injustice man does, keeps him from it.

Life is chaotic to those who don't bear it, but is understood by those who do.

One can never know what truth really is until he has it. Then he will understand that its true.

Nobody can buy the truth because its not for sale. It is freely given to those who ask for it.

What you see is not always the truth because your eyes deceive you and your ears don't hear.

Truth is the righteousness that excludes men. Not to be seen until they are righteous.

Truth is more precious than gold, and gold is more precious than silver. A miner of truth will tell you that.

Give a man the truth and he will know your heart but don't trust a man without it.

Truth wasn't made for man's eyes because he is blind. Without his blindness he will see the truth.

Truth is not what you think it is, it's what you know it is.

Truth can't be defined in man's laws, because there's no truth in man.

Truth is freedom for those who lay down and die. Then they can live with the truth.

Truth avoids those who look for it but when it finds you, you will no longer look for it.

Give a man the truth and it will no longer be true.