Total Posts:32|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Theism provides the best explanations

Benshapiro
Posts: 3,942
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 5:33:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Here's where theism provides the best explanations:

For the origin of the universe

For the inherent order and complexity of the universe

For the origin of life

For human morality and purpose

For consciousness being fundamental to reality (quantum mechanics)

For operating under the assumption that knowledge of an actual state of affairs is possible

For experiences of an afterlife in near death experiences

For the highly information-rich reality that we experience
bulproof
Posts: 25,197
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 6:08:44 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 5:33:50 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Here's where theism provides the best explanations:

For the origin of the universe

For the inherent order and complexity of the universe

For the origin of life

For human morality and purpose

For consciousness being fundamental to reality (quantum mechanics)

For operating under the assumption that knowledge of an actual state of affairs is possible

For experiences of an afterlife in near death experiences

For the highly information-rich reality that we experience
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
ken1122
Posts: 464
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 6:15:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 5:33:50 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Here's where theism provides the best explanations:

For the origin of the universe

For the inherent order and complexity of the universe

For the origin of life

For human morality and purpose

For consciousness being fundamental to reality (quantum mechanics)

For operating under the assumption that knowledge of an actual state of affairs is possible

For experiences of an afterlife in near death experiences

For the highly information-rich reality that we experience

Fiction always have more exciting answers than reality.

Ken
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,942
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 6:31:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 6:15:36 AM, ken1122 wrote:
At 9/13/2015 5:33:50 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Here's where theism provides the best explanations:

For the origin of the universe

For the inherent order and complexity of the universe

For the origin of life

For human morality and purpose

For consciousness being fundamental to reality (quantum mechanics)

For operating under the assumption that knowledge of an actual state of affairs is possible

For experiences of an afterlife in near death experiences

For the highly information-rich reality that we experience

Fiction always have more exciting answers than reality.

Ken

"The truth is stranger than fiction."
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,942
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 6:32:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 6:08:44 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/13/2015 5:33:50 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Here's where theism provides the best explanations:

For the origin of the universe

For the inherent order and complexity of the universe

For the origin of life

For human morality and purpose

For consciousness being fundamental to reality (quantum mechanics)

For operating under the assumption that knowledge of an actual state of affairs is possible

For experiences of an afterlife in near death experiences

For the highly information-rich reality that we experience



I'm not sure how this is relevant but it amused me greatly
witness2
Posts: 33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 6:44:18 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 5:33:50 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Here's where theism provides the best explanations:

For the origin of the universe

For the inherent order and complexity of the universe

For the origin of life

For human morality and purpose

For consciousness being fundamental to reality (quantum mechanics)

For operating under the assumption that knowledge of an actual state of affairs is possible

For experiences of an afterlife in near death experiences

For the highly information-rich reality that we experience : :

Theism doesn't have any explanation but our Creator can explain everything if you LISTEN TO HIS VOICE and OBEY HIS COMMANDMENTS.
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 6:52:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 5:33:50 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Here's where theism provides the best explanations:

For the origin of the universe

For the inherent order and complexity of the universe

For the origin of life

For human morality and purpose

For consciousness being fundamental to reality (quantum mechanics)

For operating under the assumption that knowledge of an actual state of affairs is possible

For experiences of an afterlife in near death experiences

For the highly information-rich reality that we experience

Sure, everything for which we lack a comprehensive scientific understanding, theism has a better (unevidenced) explanation. I'd say that explanation is contentious, but I'll grant that it's "better" for the sake of argument. Zeus was certainly a better explanation than "I don't know" when people were asking about the origin of thunder and lightning over 2000 years ago. That doesn't make it a correct explanation.
mrsatan
Posts: 418
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 6:58:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 5:33:50 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Here's where theism provides the best explanations:

For the origin of the universe

For the inherent order and complexity of the universe

For the origin of life

For human morality and purpose

For consciousness being fundamental to reality (quantum mechanics)

For operating under the assumption that knowledge of an actual state of affairs is possible

For experiences of an afterlife in near death experiences

For the highly information-rich reality that we experience

I think you forgot some words between best and explanation... Something along the lines of "...diversion to searching for...".
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 10:03:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 5:33:50 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Here's where theism provides the best explanations:

For the origin of the universe

For the inherent order and complexity of the universe

For the origin of life

For human morality and purpose

For consciousness being fundamental to reality (quantum mechanics)

For operating under the assumption that knowledge of an actual state of affairs is possible

For experiences of an afterlife in near death experiences

For the highly information-rich reality that we experience

Often I find the whole God is the best explanation for xyz is usually an appeal to ignorance and incredulity.

First define God here.

Secondly justify that God is the best explanation for the origin of the universe.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
MaxSterling
Posts: 62
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 10:21:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 5:33:50 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Here's where theism provides the best explanations:

For the origin of the universe

For the inherent order and complexity of the universe

For the origin of life

For human morality and purpose

For consciousness being fundamental to reality (quantum mechanics)

For operating under the assumption that knowledge of an actual state of affairs is possible

For experiences of an afterlife in near death experiences

For the highly information-rich reality that we experience

I would say that the glorious 80's television program Robotech: Macross has a better explanation for most of these items with the added bonuses of it being more entertaining and believable.
"But why do you want REVENGE?!"

"I HAVE REASONS!!!!!"
Impartial
Posts: 375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 3:35:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 5:33:50 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Here's where theism provides the best explanations:

For the origin of the universe

I think it's far more fascinating that we DO NOT know and the challenge of finding out is infinately more exciting than theism's uninteresting attempt.


For the inherent order and complexity of the universe

Science's explanations as to how the planets come to orbit the sun are more fascinating and logical than the theistic cop out that we are all bored by.


For the origin of life

Totally forgetting the fact that animals existed before homo sapiens...


For human morality and purpose

Not forgetting slavery, hating gay people, non-believers, disobedient children... shall I go on?


For consciousness being fundamental to reality (quantum mechanics)

Typo?


For operating under the assumption that knowledge of an actual state of affairs is possible

Science is the gatekeeper of knowledge.


For experiences of an afterlife in near death experiences

...a fanciful idea that has no proof of it's existance or non-existance and not all that interesting.


For the highly information-rich reality that we experience

As explained no better than by science, of course.
To believe is to know nothing.
bulproof
Posts: 25,197
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 3:38:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 6:32:05 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 9/13/2015 6:08:44 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/13/2015 5:33:50 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Here's where theism provides the best explanations:

For the origin of the universe

For the inherent order and complexity of the universe

For the origin of life

For human morality and purpose

For consciousness being fundamental to reality (quantum mechanics)

For operating under the assumption that knowledge of an actual state of affairs is possible

For experiences of an afterlife in near death experiences

For the highly information-rich reality that we experience



I'm not sure how this is relevant but it amused me greatly

As did your post, me.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,942
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 4:11:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 8:32:54 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
'Best' evaluated how, Ben?

'best' meaning overall conformity of the data with the competing hypothesis "God exists" and "God does not exist". The data is what evidence can be determined by induction.

And which theistic doctrine, since they don't all offer the same answers to these questions.

"God" broadly meaning intelligent designer of the universe. The characteristics of God are further determined by the evidence.
bulproof
Posts: 25,197
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 4:22:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 4:11:19 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 9/13/2015 8:32:54 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
'Best' evaluated how, Ben?

'best' meaning overall conformity of the data with the competing hypothesis "God exists" and "God does not exist". The data is what evidence can be determined by induction.

And which theistic doctrine, since they don't all offer the same answers to these questions.

"God" broadly meaning intelligent designer of the universe. The characteristics of God are further determined by the evidence.

There are no hypotheses, there is a claim made that god/s exist, this claim is never supported.
A claim without any support MUST be rejected therefore supporting the atheist position.
Thankyou.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,942
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 4:22:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 6:52:22 AM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/13/2015 5:33:50 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Here's where theism provides the best explanations:

For the origin of the universe

For the inherent order and complexity of the universe

For the origin of life

For human morality and purpose

For consciousness being fundamental to reality (quantum mechanics)

For operating under the assumption that knowledge of an actual state of affairs is possible

For experiences of an afterlife in near death experiences

For the highly information-rich reality that we experience

Sure, everything for which we lack a comprehensive scientific understanding, theism has a better (unevidenced) explanation. I'd say that explanation is contentious, but I'll grant that it's "better" for the sake of argument. Zeus was certainly a better explanation than "I don't know" when people were asking about the origin of thunder and lightning over 2000 years ago. That doesn't make it a correct explanation.

They are better explanations based on evidence, not ignorance. We know telltale signs of intelligence, and use that to determine which hypothesis is the most accurate (God exists or God does not exist).
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 4:44:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 4:22:46 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 9/13/2015 6:52:22 AM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/13/2015 5:33:50 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Here's where theism provides the best explanations:

For the origin of the universe

For the inherent order and complexity of the universe

For the origin of life

For human morality and purpose

For consciousness being fundamental to reality (quantum mechanics)

For operating under the assumption that knowledge of an actual state of affairs is possible

For experiences of an afterlife in near death experiences

For the highly information-rich reality that we experience

Sure, everything for which we lack a comprehensive scientific understanding, theism has a better (unevidenced) explanation. I'd say that explanation is contentious, but I'll grant that it's "better" for the sake of argument. Zeus was certainly a better explanation than "I don't know" when people were asking about the origin of thunder and lightning over 2000 years ago. That doesn't make it a correct explanation.

They are better explanations based on evidence, not ignorance. We know telltale signs of intelligence, and use that to determine which hypothesis is the most accurate (God exists or God does not exist).

They're based on incomplete or misunderstood evidence. No better than the evidence and hypotheses that led to belief in Ra or Pele.
bulproof
Posts: 25,197
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 4:45:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 4:22:46 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 9/13/2015 6:52:22 AM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/13/2015 5:33:50 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Here's where theism provides the best explanations:

For the origin of the universe

For the inherent order and complexity of the universe

For the origin of life

For human morality and purpose

For consciousness being fundamental to reality (quantum mechanics)

For operating under the assumption that knowledge of an actual state of affairs is possible

For experiences of an afterlife in near death experiences

For the highly information-rich reality that we experience

Sure, everything for which we lack a comprehensive scientific understanding, theism has a better (unevidenced) explanation. I'd say that explanation is contentious, but I'll grant that it's "better" for the sake of argument. Zeus was certainly a better explanation than "I don't know" when people were asking about the origin of thunder and lightning over 2000 years ago. That doesn't make it a correct explanation.

They are better explanations based on evidence, not ignorance. We know telltale signs of intelligence, and use that to determine which hypothesis is the most accurate (God exists or God does not exist).
Hypotheses?
Or just unsupported claims?
I really do frighten you lot, don't I ?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,942
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 4:49:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 10:03:15 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 9/13/2015 5:33:50 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Here's where theism provides the best explanations:

For the origin of the universe

For the inherent order and complexity of the universe

For the origin of life

For human morality and purpose

For consciousness being fundamental to reality (quantum mechanics)

For operating under the assumption that knowledge of an actual state of affairs is possible

For experiences of an afterlife in near death experiences

For the highly information-rich reality that we experience

Often I find the whole God is the best explanation for xyz is usually an appeal to ignorance and incredulity.

First define God here.

Intelligent designer of the universe

Secondly justify that God is the best explanation for the origin of the universe.

The most reasonable assumption is that whatever caused all contingent things to exist adheres to the law of cause and effect. This means that whatever the "first cause" is musn't have been infinitely regressive or caused into being by absolute nothingness. Whatever the first cause is must exist necessarily.

I wish there was an easier way to explain this because it's a heavy concept to convey but here it goes:

If the first cause was not sentient, the only causal mechanism for action exists as a function of inherent probability (randomness or physical necessity). Given an infinite duration of time, and an infinite amount of trials, all inherent probabilities of some action occurring above 0 will become actual. Once an action becomes actual, we can count backwards the number of trials that led up to it. So if the first cause is necessary and non-personal, it (1) exists eternally and (2) can only cause action to occur by means of inherent probability (within a trial system). If we can count backwards the number of trials that led up to an action (like the Big Bang), we reach a quantifiable beginning of the first cause. It's logically impossible for something that exists necessarily and eternally to have a quantifiable beginning. Therefore whatever the first cause is, must've caused action by non-quantifiable means. The only way to do that is by will. If action is caused into being by will, it must have been the product of mind. If the first cause is the product of mind, God exists.
bulproof
Posts: 25,197
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 5:20:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 4:49:29 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
So if the first cause is necessary and non-personal
Provide evidence for this contention.
What predicates a first cause?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 5:28:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 5:33:50 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Here's where theism provides the best explanations:

For the origin of the universe

For the inherent order and complexity of the universe

For the origin of life

For human morality and purpose

For consciousness being fundamental to reality (quantum mechanics)

For operating under the assumption that knowledge of an actual state of affairs is possible

For experiences of an afterlife in near death experiences

For the highly information-rich reality that we experience

Zues and all the other Greek gods explained a lot too. That doesn't make the explanations real.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 5:29:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 5:33:50 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Here's where theism provides the best explanations:

For the origin of the universe

1) The universe can only have an origin if the A-Theory of Time is correct (otherwise the TCA follows). The only version of relativity that is compatible with the A-Theory of Time is the Lorentz Ether Theory. The problem is that LET is incompatible with the Principal of Uniformity of Nature, and thus if LET is correct then one can not do cosmology (meaning you still can't justify an origin of the universe).
2) Actions are derived from the properties of the one who makes an action. The properties of a necessary being are also necessary. If god is necessary and created the universe, then the universe exists in all possible worlds (making IT necessary).

For the inherent order and complexity of the universe

The multiverse or a 2nd dimension of time are simpler (more parsimonious) explanations.

For the origin of life

England's thermodynamic hypothesis (supported mathematically)?
RNA World Hypothesis (has some empirical evidence to support it)?

For human morality and purpose

Define morality. Defend its existence.
Define purpose. Defend its existence.
Demonstrate that god is the best explanation.

For consciousness being fundamental to reality (quantum mechanics)

Except that consciousness ISN'T fundamental to reality. That idea was started by New Age Wooists who have tried to highjack QM.

For operating under the assumption that knowledge of an actual state of affairs is possible

Why is a god necessary for this?

For experiences of an afterlife in near death experiences

When someone is having an NDE they enter into a state similar to dreams. The main difference is the type of brainwave that gives rise to this dream is a type which contains more "information" than the typical brainwaves used for dreams.

For the highly information-rich reality that we experience

How is reality information rich? Why does information imply a god?
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 5:48:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 5:33:50 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Here's where theism provides the best explanations:

For the origin of the universe

For the inherent order and complexity of the universe

For the origin of life

For human morality and purpose

For consciousness being fundamental to reality (quantum mechanics)

For operating under the assumption that knowledge of an actual state of affairs is possible

For experiences of an afterlife in near death experiences

For the highly information-rich reality that we experience

Care to defend any of these claims?
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
ken1122
Posts: 464
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 6:09:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 6:31:31 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
"The truth is stranger than fiction."

Ken
Mark Twain said "the truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; truth isn"t"

Twain was wrong when he said this, and you are wrong for quoting him. A quick look at stories of fiction, and you will see many of them are impossible in the real world, and by definition; something has to be possible in order for it to be true.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,580
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 6:19:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 5:33:50 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Here's where theism provides the best explanations:

For the origin of the universe

For the inherent order and complexity of the universe

For the origin of life

For human morality and purpose

For consciousness being fundamental to reality (quantum mechanics)

For operating under the assumption that knowledge of an actual state of affairs is possible

For experiences of an afterlife in near death experiences

For the highly information-rich reality that we experience

Ben found a time machine and transported here from his time a thousand years ago to share his wisdom.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
n7
Posts: 1,358
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 7:31:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 5:33:50 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Here's where theism provides the best explanations:

For the origin of the universe

For the inherent order and complexity of the universe

For the origin of life

For human morality and purpose

For consciousness being fundamental to reality (quantum mechanics)

For operating under the assumption that knowledge of an actual state of affairs is possible

For experiences of an afterlife in near death experiences

For the highly information-rich reality that we experience

Wow, I'm a theist now! Thanks!
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
n7
Posts: 1,358
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 7:36:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 5:33:50 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Here's where theism provides the best explanations:

For the origin of the universe

For the inherent order and complexity of the universe

For the origin of life

For human morality and purpose

For consciousness being fundamental to reality (quantum mechanics)

For operating under the assumption that knowledge of an actual state of affairs is possible

On a serous note, how would you defend this claim?
For experiences of an afterlife in near death experiences

For the highly information-rich reality that we experience
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
scott777
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 9:10:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/13/2015 4:49:29 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 9/13/2015 10:03:15 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 9/13/2015 5:33:50 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Here's where theism provides the best explanations:

For the origin of the universe

For the inherent order and complexity of the universe

For the origin of life

For human morality and purpose

For consciousness being fundamental to reality (quantum mechanics)

For operating under the assumption that knowledge of an actual state of affairs is possible

For experiences of an afterlife in near death experiences

For the highly information-rich reality that we experience

Often I find the whole God is the best explanation for xyz is usually an appeal to ignorance and incredulity.

First define God here.

Intelligent designer of the universe

Secondly justify that God is the best explanation for the origin of the universe.

The most reasonable assumption is that whatever caused all contingent things to exist adheres to the law of cause and effect. This means that whatever the "first cause" is musn't have been infinitely regressive or caused into being by absolute nothingness. Whatever the first cause is must exist necessarily.

I wish there was an easier way to explain this because it's a heavy concept to convey but here it goes:

If the first cause was not sentient, the only causal mechanism for action exists as a function of inherent probability (randomness or physical necessity). Given an infinite duration of time, and an infinite amount of trials, all inherent probabilities of some action occurring above 0 will become actual. Once an action becomes actual, we can count backwards the number of trials that led up to it. So if the first cause is necessary and non-personal, it (1) exists eternally and (2) can only cause action to occur by means of inherent probability (within a trial system). If we can count backwards the number of trials that led up to an action (like the Big Bang), we reach a quantifiable beginning of the first cause. It's logically impossible for something that exists necessarily and eternally to have a quantifiable beginning. Therefore whatever the first cause is, must've caused action by non-quantifiable means. The only way to do that is by will. If action is caused into being by will, it must have been the product of mind. If the first cause is the product of mind, God exists.

All of this assumes a first cause. I'm quite open and impartial to the idea of an infinite existence.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 9:28:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Ben, thank you for responding. With sincere apologies in advance, I'm now going to rip your polite, kind, good-faith response a philosophical new one. :)

At 9/13/2015 4:11:19 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 9/13/2015 8:32:54 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
'Best' evaluated how, Ben?
'best' meaning overall conformity of the data with the competing hypothesis "God exists" and "God does not exist". The data is what evidence can be determined by induction.
"God" broadly meaning intelligent designer of the universe. The characteristics of God are further determined by the evidence.

Firstly, 'intelligent creator of the universe' isn't theistic god -- it's deistic, because it has no theology about its relationship with man. (Why do theists constantly think that by proving deism, they've proved their own faith?)

Secondly, what does 'intelligent' even mean to a metaphysical agency? We can define intelligence very specifically in the physical universe: it's efficient, effective problem-solving for specified ends using constrained physical resources under operations prescribed by physical laws. But what does intelligence mean when you're metaphysical? What are the ends? What are the constraints? What are the rules? Efficient assessed how? Effective assessed how?

Thirdly, you proposed a single creative agency, so if creation were achieved by more than one agency collaborating, that would invalidate your hypothesis. We count agencies easily in the physical world because we use space, time and coherent matter to distinguish them. Does the metaphysical realm have space, time or matter? If not, what's the procedure for counting metaphysical agencies?

Fourthly, if there may be multiple metaphysical agencies, then we need to be able to identify which one intentionally created the universe (since others may have aided it while not being privy to the intention.) That requires us to know which one executed knew the intention, conceived the procedure, and coordinated the effort . Which means we need to know what the procedure was. So how do we identify a procedure in the metaphysical realm?

Finally, I think this definition of 'best' is superficial, naive and inadequate. Some key problems:

* Vagueness -- see just how many specifics we need above, for comments about the metaphysical agencies to even make sense. You're vague about all of them;
* Incoherence -- are the words 'intelligence', 'creation', and 'individual' even meaningful when talking about metaphysical agencies?
* Obscurity-- you've assumed a single, intelligent creator operating deliberately. Why not multiple unintelligent creators? Why not an accidental creation, or creation as an unintended byproduct of something else? What's the empirical basis for choosing this hypothesis to compare against a null hypothesis? You posed one of many possible deistic hypotheses, yet how are you not pumping the question full of your own theistic bias?
* Falsifiability -- what single specific, significant empirical prediction is implied by deistic creation that is not also implied by the universe coming about spontaneously as the result of other metaphysical events?
* Constructivity -- suppose we could confidently say that the universe were created as an intentional act by a single creative metaphysical agency. So what? Unless we knew the full design, or its level of engagement, how would that change a single rational decision we'd ever make?

As a conjecture, sure -- a single, intelligent, deistic creator is something one can think about. If nothing else it makes us visit what we're really talking about when we talk about metaphysics.

But as a testable hypothesis, I think it's a non-starter. And since it's not a testable hypothesis, I don't know on what basis you consider it 'best'.

But even if you it were best, you're not saying theism offers the best explanations; you're saying deism does. And if that's so then doesn't theism offer worse explanations, since they're clouding simpler, deist explanations with additional, unprovable premises?