origin of your character; your soul

Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2010 3:54:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
What defines a persons soul?
When I ask that I do not mean along the lines of asking if it is just a brainwave or set of chemical reactions or if it spiritual material making it up.

I mean what created your very character in such a way that it can be said to be distinct from all other souls or character's. even if just in a small way.

I got to pondering this because after considering scripture verse that suggested two people could be made for each other since before Creation (Tobias and Sarah), I got to wondering how that could possibly work out (under my immovable lens of Free Will doctrine anyway).
I dont see how it could because all that comes to define your character is a result of your choices.
In the song in the video it gives all sorts of life experiences that would bring your character to grow into what it is.
So basically that view would be that your character is defined by the impositions you gain over the course of your life.
the song in this link gives an example of an opposite view though http://lyrics.payplay.fm...
That your True character comes from learning to be free of your impositions. like imposition are a false mask you were to be in front of others and if you could only just 'cut loose' you would be who you really are.

So is who you are defined by your impositions?
Or who you would be without them?

if you think the second, then please explain where you think that part of your character came from, or if it could have grown like that in indifference to your life experiences.
In fact just so I could get a idea of what you think your talking about when you speak of this kind of character coming from this origin, describe what defines it. (artistic, loyal, manipulative, ect)
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2010 4:13:04 PM
At 9/9/2010 3:56:15 PM, Koopin wrote:
Sarah Palin says hi.

I do not understand this inside joke.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2010 4:49:17 PM
At 9/9/2010 4:13:04 PM, Marauder wrote:
Sarah Palin says hi.

I don't either... But it's hilarious...

for some reason.... Koopin's making fun of your religious mumbo jumbo 8)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2010 5:19:33 PM
I am not a religious person, but I think two people can be utterly perfect for each other. The problem seems to be that more often than not these people never find each other. Also, I think some people should be alone and never have partners.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2010 6:40:23 PM
At 9/9/2010 5:19:33 PM, tvellalott wrote:
I am not a religious person, but I think two people can be utterly perfect for each other. The problem seems to be that more often than not these people never find each other. Also, I think some people should be alone and never have partners.

This.

I also believe that there is a part of you you are born like and part of you that you grow into. The part you grow into is often more dominant, and more important qualities when seeking someone, but neither can just be ignored.
I think two people can be meant for each other, but they never meet or they let differences tear them apart, or something even worse happens.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2010 7:24:14 PM
At 9/9/2010 6:40:23 PM, lovelife wrote:

This.

I also believe that there is a part of you you are born like and part of you that you grow into. The part you grow into is often more dominant, and more important qualities when seeking someone, but neither can just be ignored.
I think two people can be meant for each other, but they never meet or they let differences tear them apart, or something even worse happens.

If people are really perfect for each other nothing but death could tear them apart. Love can be an extremely fickle thing. I know I still have feelings for my ex but my brain is telling me I can never be with her again like we were when we first started dating. That indicates to me that she isn't my perfect partner. I might never find someone as good as her, but that doesn't mean I should give up the chance and not look. Settling for someone because you might not find someone better is fail.

Muh threads
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2010 7:27:43 PM
At 9/9/2010 7:24:14 PM, tvellalott wrote:

This.

If people are really perfect for each other nothing but death could tear them apart. Love can be an extremely fickle thing. I know I still have feelings for my ex but my brain is telling me I can never be with her again like we were when we first started dating. That indicates to me that she isn't my perfect partner. I might never find someone as good as her, but that doesn't mean I should give up the chance and not look. Settling for someone because you might not find someone better is fail.

I never said not to look for anyone else. I said I believe people start off perfect for each other and some changes happen and they aren't as perfect. Maybe she wasn't the one meant for you after all? Maybe she was and you or her just changed too much. Maybe later you will get back together. Its unpredictable, but I'm sure people know if they are with the perfect one.

Its just my personal beliefs tho.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2010 8:17:10 PM
At 9/9/2010 3:54:20 PM, Marauder wrote:
When I ask that I do not mean along the lines of asking if it is just a brainwave or set of chemical reactions or if it spiritual material making it up.

I mean what created your very character in such a way that it can be said to be distinct from all other souls or character's. even if just in a small way.

I got to pondering this because after considering scripture verse that suggested two people could be made for each other since before Creation (Tobias and Sarah), I got to wondering how that could possibly work out (under my immovable lens of Free Will doctrine anyway).
I dont see how it could because all that comes to define your character is a result of your choices.
In the song in the video it gives all sorts of life experiences that would bring your character to grow into what it is.
So basically that view would be that your character is defined by the impositions you gain over the course of your life.
the song in this link gives an example of an opposite view though http://lyrics.payplay.fm...
That your True character comes from learning to be free of your impositions. like imposition are a false mask you were to be in front of others and if you could only just 'cut loose' you would be who you really are.

if you think the second, then please explain where you think that part of your character came from, or if it could have grown like that in indifference to your life experiences.
In fact just so I could get a idea of what you think your talking about when you speak of this kind of character coming from this origin, describe what defines it. (artistic, loyal, manipulative, ect)
Two things I think.
1)Your environment plays an extremely large role in determining who you are.
Your genetics define a smaller, yet still large part.
And, finally, your free will and frame of mind also characterize and make who you are.
2)I don't believe true love exists. In fact, I don't think love itself exists. I think it is just an admiration of someone's qualities coupled with fascination and infactuation/lust.
However, this almost always fades, and dulls to a mere acquaintance-friend feeling.
True love does not exist in my opinion. Neither does lasting love. Or love itself.
I do not believe there are two people made for each other. At all. I think that love at first sight is bullsh!t, and the love itself is merely what I said above. Admiration, fascination, and lust.
So, yeah, there you go.
I miss the old members.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2010 8:46:15 PM
At 9/9/2010 7:27:43 PM, lovelife wrote:
I never said not to look for anyone else. I said I believe people start off perfect for each other and some changes happen and they aren't as perfect. Maybe she wasn't the one meant for you after all? Maybe she was and you or her just changed too much. Maybe later you will get back together. Its unpredictable, but I'm sure people know if they are with the perfect one.

I may have quoted you, but I was just extending my original post, rather than commenting on what you said.
When I talk about perfect, i mean PERFECT. You know those old couples who loved each other wholeheartedly for 70 years. That's perfect.
My relationship with my ex was clearly never perfect otherwise things wouldn't have gone bad within two years.

Muh threads
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2010 8:59:09 PM
At 9/9/2010 8:46:15 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 9/9/2010 7:27:43 PM, lovelife wrote:

I may have quoted you, but I was just extending my original post, rather than commenting on what you said.

Well that can be confusing.

When I talk about perfect, i mean PERFECT. You know those old couples who loved each other wholeheartedly for 70 years. That's perfect.
My relationship with my ex was clearly never perfect otherwise things wouldn't have gone bad within two years.

Well I don't know specifics, I know every relationship has problems, no matter how perfect. That said it probably wasn't true love since most don't find it, and those that do usually have to go through a whole lot to get it.

I believe that people can love for their whole life, just not everyone.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2010 7:35:08 AM
At 9/9/2010 4:49:17 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 9/9/2010 4:13:04 PM, Marauder wrote:
Sarah Palin says hi.

I don't either... But it's hilarious...

for some reason.... Koopin's making fun of your religious mumbo jumbo 8)

if Koopin wanted to make fun of thread as religious mumbo jumbo; he should have referenced a religious figure, not a political one.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2010 7:41:33 AM

This.

I understand what you grow into, and what it is. But what could ever possibly be what your 'born like' that couldn't be said by reasoning to be what your grew into?

If they are meant for each other, how could they not meet? meant indicates some designer behind making so that they would fit perfect with each other. That would need to be God, or a god. and surely even if it were just 'a god' the god would have enough power to make sure they meet at least once if it can make them 'meant' for each other.

A Scout is Obedient.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2010 7:55:54 AM
At 9/10/2010 7:41:33 AM, Marauder wrote:

This.

I understand what you grow into, and what it is. But what could ever possibly be what your 'born like' that couldn't be said by reasoning to be what your grew into?

What do you mean?

If they are meant for each other, how could they not meet? meant indicates some designer behind making so that they would fit perfect with each other. That would need to be God, or a god. and surely even if it were just 'a god' the god would have enough power to make sure they meet at least once if it can make them 'meant' for each other.

Not sure. I don't believe in any god, but I'm not completely close minded to the idea of supernatural.
I believe that forces in life might push them towards each other but ultimately their choices lead them to meet or not and even if they meet they often don't realize they were meant for each other.
Ogan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2010 8:08:42 AM
What defines a person's soul?
I mean what created your very character in such a way that it can be said to be distinct from all other souls or characters. even if just in a small way.

Ogan: Remember, whatever I say can be taken with a pinch of salt – I am not a Spiritual Teacher, only a bearer of useful thoughts. Well, let's say for now that God (Father-Mother) created each and every one in It's own image, then casting them toward earth, let them progress downward after many cycles and choices until they reached the earth and left them to gradually grow into perfection or fail – again after many cycles - each in its own unique way through choice and free will. Imagine 6 billion snowflakes, all hexagons, yet each totally unique or never two the same. Or better still, imagine say, 6 billion sunflower seeds, all the same, yet each unique with certain idiosyncrasies and scattered upon the land – some falling upon stony ground (because of past mistakes or choices) where they suffer many impositions that are difficult to deal with, whilst others falling upon rich fertile soil (because of past good choices) enjoying the freedom to grow healthy, strong and happy – for awhile.

I got to pondering this because after considering scripture verse that suggested two people could be made for each other since before Creation (Tobias and Sarah),

Ogan: Where would I find the quote of ‘Tobias and Sarah', as I have not read it and think it is important in regard to certain Ancient Teachings. Briefly, they taught that before Twin-souls were sent here and ‘split' into male and female, they had shared mind and spiritual body as a kind of spiritual hermaphrodite, but upon entering into the waters of incarnation were split into positive and negative principles. They also teach that they have been seeking each other ever since and fall in love with any who bear any of those loving hallmarks, which spurs an inner memory of Love into action. This leads to all kinds of difficult lessons and complications. Lastly, that they cannot meet and rejoin again until Both have perfected themselves after many cycles mixing with all kinds of personalities.
I agree that we develop character from dealing with difficult impositions, or tests and trials if you like. The mask might be there for good reason, other times not, that's for you to decide.

So is who you are defined by your impositions? Or who you would be without them?
If you think the second, then please explain where you think that part of your character came from, or if it could have grown like that in indifference to your life experiences.

Ogan: Who we truly are is a secret and not to be defined by any impositions which we learn from while in the body. We grow the way we are outwardly in the physical body according to many things, such as trials, tribulations, enemies, the environment, upbringing, gifts and friends, etc., But, I say we are all far better than we know at present, or what others tell us we are, and Freedom awaits us all – if we first Know, then Practice the VIRTUES. Hope this helps in some small way.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2010 8:31:36 AM
At 9/10/2010 7:55:54 AM, lovelife wrote:

This.

What do you mean?

Like, lets say for example something that could make you compatible with another is your generosity. could you ever say your born with generosity, or that you gained generosity because you grew up with people that share http://www.noogenesis.com... ?
What could possibly be so basic an aspect of your character that it could not have come from 'living with' any of the things on that list? that you would have that part of your character indifference to what you 'live with'?

Not sure. I don't believe in any god, but I'm not completely close minded to the idea of supernatural.
I believe that forces in life might push them towards each other but ultimately their choices lead them to meet or not and even if they meet they often don't realize they were meant for each other.

Wow.... C.S. Lewis's Materialist Magician does exist. http://www.ccc-nl.org...

what would make these non-spirit but still supernatural 'Forces' push people towards each other without an intelligent drive behind it?

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2010 8:41:53 AM
At 9/10/2010 8:08:42 AM, Ogan wrote:
What defines a person's soul?
I mean what created your very character in such a way that it can be said to be distinct from all other souls or characters. even if just in a small way.

Ogan: Remember, whatever I say can be taken with a pinch of salt – I am not a Spiritual Teacher, only a bearer of useful thoughts. Well, let's say for now that God (Father-Mother) created each and every one in It's own image, then casting them toward earth, let them progress downward after many cycles and choices until they reached the earth and left them to gradually grow into perfection or fail – again after many cycles - each in its own unique way through choice and free will. Imagine 6 billion snowflakes, all hexagons, yet each totally unique or never two the same. Or better still, imagine say, 6 billion sunflower seeds, all the same, yet each unique with certain idiosyncrasies and scattered upon the land – some falling upon stony ground (because of past mistakes or choices) where they suffer many impositions that are difficult to deal with, whilst others falling upon rich fertile soil (because of past good choices) enjoying the freedom to grow healthy, strong and happy – for awhile.

I got to pondering this because after considering scripture verse that suggested two people could be made for each other since before Creation (Tobias and Sarah),

Ogan: Where would I find the quote of ‘Tobias and Sarah', as I have not read it and think it is important in regard to certain Ancient Teachings. Briefly, they taught that before Twin-souls were sent here and ‘split' into male and female, they had shared mind and spiritual body as a kind of spiritual hermaphrodite, but upon entering into the waters of incarnation were split into positive and negative principles. They also teach that they have been seeking each other ever since and fall in love with any who bear any of those loving hallmarks, which spurs an inner memory of Love into action. This leads to all kinds of difficult lessons and complications. Lastly, that they cannot meet and rejoin again until Both have perfected themselves after many cycles mixing with all kinds of personalities.
I agree that we develop character from dealing with difficult impositions, or tests and trials if you like. The mask might be there for good reason, other times not, that's for you to decide.

So is who you are defined by your impositions? Or who you would be without them?
If you think the second, then please explain where you think that part of your character came from, or if it could have grown like that in indifference to your life experiences.

Ogan: Who we truly are is a secret and not to be defined by any impositions which we learn from while in the body. We grow the way we are outwardly in the physical body according to many things, such as trials, tribulations, enemies, the environment, upbringing, gifts and friends, etc., But, I say we are all far better than we know at present, or what others tell us we are, and Freedom awaits us all – if we first Know, then Practice the VIRTUES. Hope this helps in some small way.

it does help, some. I can flow with who we are being secret until death. it makes the idea of having a new name on a white rock make more sense. the name would likely be more reflective of this true self than what I am now.

the scripture I was reffering with Tobias and Sarah is from the apocrapha book of Tobit. http://bible.oremus.org... Tobit 6:18 "......both of you must first stand up and pray, imploring the Lord of heaven that mercy and safety may be granted to you. Do not be afraid, for she was set apart for you before the world was made. You will save her, and she will go with you. I presume that you will have children by her, and they will be as brothers to you. Now say no more!'........."

A Scout is Obedient.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2010 9:11:29 AM
At 9/10/2010 8:31:36 AM, Marauder wrote:
At 9/10/2010 7:55:54 AM, lovelife wrote:

This.

What do you mean?

Like, lets say for example something that could make you compatible with another is your generosity. could you ever say your born with generosity, or that you gained generosity because you grew up with people that share http://www.noogenesis.com... ?
What could possibly be so basic an aspect of your character that it could not have come from 'living with' any of the things on that list? that you would have that part of your character indifference to what you 'live with'?

I think people are born with certain tendancies that can alter through time. Like lets say a person was born greedy, but then was raised and taught to be generous, they then become generous. Of course they have the greed under the generosity which is why I say that how you are born is more important than how you were raised.

Wow.... C.S. Lewis's Materialist Magician does exist. http://www.ccc-nl.org...

what would make these non-spirit but still supernatural 'Forces' push people towards each other without an intelligent drive behind it?

Lmao xD I never said they weren't spirits. I never said they were either. I have no clue what they are or even if its supernatural. I think its just the way the world balances.
vivalayeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2010 10:48:04 AM
At 9/9/2010 3:54:20 PM, Marauder wrote:

I believe that everyone is born with specific traits that relate to their mother and father. These can be physical and mental. For instance, my father moved away when I was very young, and even with the absense of a father, my mother states (especially when we are arguing) that my mannerisms are very like my fathers. Talents aswel I think are genetic, however, that does not mean that you cant develope talents that youre parent don't have, they just won't be completely natural. You gain a lot from genetic's in to how you act, and what kind of person you are, but, at the same time, how you are brought up and what experiences you have define youre own character. No-one lives an exactly identical life, even brothers and sister's and it is through youre experiences that you grow into the person you are. Some people call that the soul.

If i were brought up in a different situation and had different experiences I am almost certain I would be a different person than I am now. Have you ever wondered for instance, that if you didn't go to a certain school or club, or lived in a certain area, that you wouldn't have met the friend's you have now? Then think about how you grew up together, and how much that person has influenced the person you are now. How could I be the same without having met those important people in my life?