Jump to topic:

Advice to Atheists and Theists

drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 3:04:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Respect all religions yet follow none, do your best to create a personal relationship with God.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 3:33:45 AM
At 9/17/2015 3:04:12 AM, drpiek wrote:
Respect all religions yet follow none, do your best to create a personal relationship with God.

Religions deserve no respect. They are generally built on dubious or outright false claims. While I will respect the individual's right to believe in a god and will advocate for that right, I will never respect appealing to that god to affect legislation, affect education, to discriminate, or ignore objective knowledge.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 4:41:57 AM
At 9/17/2015 3:33:45 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

Religions deserve no respect. They are generally built on dubious or outright false claims. While I will respect the individual's right to believe in a god and will advocate for that right, I will never respect appealing to that god to affect legislation, affect education, to discriminate, or ignore objective knowledge.

+1
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 6:30:25 AM

Respect what about religions, DrP? The conceited motives, the unethical practices, or the bad moral outcomes?

And why do I want a personal relationship with your idealistic conjecture?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 1:23:54 PM
Which one?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 3:07:25 PM

Notice the underlined word, it should give you a hint as to why having a "personal" relationship with God is not possible.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 3:23:20 PM

Why would I respect belief systems that seek to make me do their will instead of my own?