Jump to topic:

Advice to Atheists and Theists

drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 3:04:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Respect all religions yet follow none, do your best to create a personal relationship with God.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 3:33:45 AM
At 9/17/2015 3:04:12 AM, drpiek wrote:
Respect all religions yet follow none, do your best to create a personal relationship with God.

Religions deserve no respect. They are generally built on dubious or outright false claims. While I will respect the individual's right to believe in a god and will advocate for that right, I will never respect appealing to that god to affect legislation, affect education, to discriminate, or ignore objective knowledge.
Science has taught us that, because we have a talent for deceiving ourselves, subjectivity may not freely reign. - Carl Sagan

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 4:41:57 AM
At 9/17/2015 3:33:45 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

Religions deserve no respect. They are generally built on dubious or outright false claims. While I will respect the individual's right to believe in a god and will advocate for that right, I will never respect appealing to that god to affect legislation, affect education, to discriminate, or ignore objective knowledge.

+1
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 6:30:25 AM

Respect what about religions, DrP? The conceited motives, the unethical practices, or the bad moral outcomes?

And why do I want a personal relationship with your idealistic conjecture?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 1:23:54 PM
Which one?
When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead
And the white knight is talking backwards
And the red queen's off with her head
Remember what the dormouse said
Feed your head, feed your head
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 3:07:25 PM

Notice the underlined word, it should give you a hint as to why having a "personal" relationship with God is not possible.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
There would be peace if you obeyed us.~Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 3:23:20 PM

Why would I respect belief systems that seek to make me do their will instead of my own?