Jump to topic:

meat machines

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 8:51:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Where does your sense of right and wrong come from? Are you just a meat machine, a slave to your genetics and random natural processes that made you who you are?

I like to think my morality comes from a higher source, and not the random evolutionary forces supposed by those who deny a creator.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 9:06:45 PM
At 9/17/2015 8:51:54 PM, janesix wrote:
Where does your sense of right and wrong come from? Are you just a meat machine, a slave to your genetics and random natural processes that made you who you are?

Yup. :)

I like to think my morality comes from a higher source, and not the random evolutionary forces supposed by those who deny a creator.

I thought about that, too, but then your morality is not yours. You only have it because it was given to you. We didn't created ourselves, so no matter how you look at it, we were created by something else to be exactly who we are.

On a side note, do you find the concept of theistic evolution is implausible?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 10:08:30 PM
At 9/17/2015 9:06:45 PM, Chaosism wrote:

I thought about that, too, but then your morality is not yours. You only have it because it was given to you. We didn't created ourselves, so no matter how you look at it, we were created by something else to be exactly who we are.

No, I don't think theistic evolution is implausible. Although I do see a lot of problems with evolution in general.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 10:12:21 PM
At 9/17/2015 10:08:30 PM, janesix wrote:

No, I don't think theistic evolution is implausible. Although I do see a lot of problems with evolution in general.

Yes namely that you are not so special that you are not dead when you die. You are just an evolved animal like all the rest......................oooooooooooohhh frightening isn't it.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 10:14:07 PM
At 9/17/2015 10:12:21 PM, bulproof wrote:

Yes namely that you are not so special that you are not dead when you die. You are just an evolved animal like all the rest......................oooooooooooohhh frightening isn't it.

Of course I'm an evolved animal. What's so frightening about that?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 10:36:51 PM
At 9/17/2015 10:14:07 PM, janesix wrote:

Because the promise of eternal paradise is linked to the fictional Adam and Eve, they never existed and neither does the paradise.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
tidalwave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 11:49:07 PM

I like to think my morality comes from a higher source, and not the random evolutionary forces supposed by those who deny a creator. : :

God didn't make anything right and wrong. He made everything perfectly. The problem His people have is they don't listen to His voice and learn how He created everything. Once you learn how He created everything, then all the good and evil disappears because it's only an illusion that isn't real at all. You will learn that we won't understand the contrast of good and evil in the New Heaven and Earth, which is the next part of His program called Eternal Life. We won't know what entropy means.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 6:10:08 PM
At 9/17/2015 10:36:51 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/17/2015 10:14:07 PM, janesix wrote:

Because the promise of eternal paradise is linked to the fictional Adam and Eve, they never existed and neither does the paradise.

I agree.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 6:18:56 PM
I like to think my morality comes from a higher source

I don't.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 7:55:19 PM
At 9/18/2015 6:18:56 PM, Otokage wrote:

I don't.

Where do your morals come from? Did they "evolve"? If so, how?
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 8:19:04 PM
At 9/18/2015 7:55:19 PM, janesix wrote:

I don't.

The capacity of being moral is indeed a product of evolution, as any other behaviour/capacity any life form manifests.

About my particular morals, they are, of course, a result of my life experiences. I have read the Tanakh though, although I must say my morals did not change one bit because of it.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 9:36:53 PM
At 9/18/2015 8:19:04 PM, Otokage wrote:

I don't.

The capacity of being moral is indeed a product of evolution, as any other behaviour/capacity any life form manifests.

About my particular morals, they are, of course, a result of my life experiences. I have read the Tanakh though, although I must say my morals did not change one bit because of it.

How did humans evolve altruism?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 9:47:42 PM

So, you've never heard of a brain and how to use it? Someone else needs to tell you how to behave? Just a robot that requires some programming?

That sux.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 9:50:00 PM
At 9/18/2015 9:47:42 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

So, you've never heard of a brain and how to use it? Someone else needs to tell you how to behave? Just a robot that requires some programming?

That sux.

No one "tells you" how to behave. We are part of the same life force. A part of God.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 11:44:52 PM
At 9/18/2015 9:50:00 PM, janesix wrote:
At 9/18/2015 9:47:42 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

That sux.

No one "tells you" how to behave.

You admitted you had to be told, hence you don't know how to use your brain to figure it out yourself.

We are part of the same life force. A part of God.

No, we're not, that's just an irrational belief.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 12:01:35 AM
At 9/18/2015 9:36:53 PM, janesix wrote:
At 9/18/2015 8:19:04 PM, Otokage wrote:

I don't.

How did humans evolve altruism?

I don't think altruism, as a whole, can be explained by a single hypothesis. But if you specify which altruistic situation you have in mind, surely we can come with something logical that fits evolution without much problem.