Jump to topic:

How much longer can JW Governing body

Hitchian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 10:25:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
How much longer can Jehovah's Witnesses Governing body keep spinning their eschatology before the rank and file starts noticing there's something fishy?

Jehovah's Witnesses have a long track record of failed predictions, notably failed doomsday predictions, such as 1914, 1921, 1925, 1975 and before the end of 20th century. The 1975 blunder sure caused a major haemorrhage in their membership, but newer generations seem totally oblivious to the facts and it looks as though the Governing Body is given a clean slate after each faux pas. For example, nobody in the organisation seems to so much as giggle at the recent definition of a generation as two overlapping lifetimes. The credulity of its members seems to be constantly overstretched to the point of imminent tearing . When their book on Daniel states the Bible prophesized a speech - a speech, of all things - from their leadership , one would be excused for thinking they'd hit rock bottom. But no, they stretched it up a notch and produced the overlapping generation doctrine which a toddler would frown upon but legions of mature adults will, apparently, swallow unhesitantly.

What will it take for a major upheaval, desertion and demise of the organization? Can they keep refashioning their doctrines indefinitely and bank on amnesia and the Orwellian threat of shunning from relatives?

Is there a tipping point?
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 10:53:19 AM
At 9/19/2015 10:25:41 AM, Hitchian wrote:
How much longer can Jehovah's Witnesses Governing body keep spinning their eschatology before the rank and file starts noticing there's something fishy?

Jehovah's Witnesses have a long track record of failed predictions, notably failed doomsday predictions, such as 1914, 1921, 1925, 1975 and before the end of 20th century. The 1975 blunder sure caused a major haemorrhage in their membership, but newer generations seem totally oblivious to the facts and it looks as though the Governing Body is given a clean slate after each faux pas. For example, nobody in the organisation seems to so much as giggle at the recent definition of a generation as two overlapping lifetimes. The credulity of its members seems to be constantly overstretched to the point of imminent tearing . When their book on Daniel states the Bible prophesized a speech - a speech, of all things - from their leadership , one would be excused for thinking they'd hit rock bottom. But no, they stretched it up a notch and produced the overlapping generation doctrine which a toddler would frown upon but legions of mature adults will, apparently, swallow unhesitantly.

What will it take for a major upheaval, desertion and demise of the organization? Can they keep refashioning their doctrines indefinitely and bank on amnesia and the Orwellian threat of shunning from relatives?

Is there a tipping point?

Only the very gullible can think the unpleasant JW sect has any credence!
Hitchian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 11:10:29 AM
At 9/19/2015 10:53:19 AM, JJ50 wrote:

Hence my puzzlement. I know of highly intelligent people who not only are active Jehovah's Witnesses, they have responsibilities within their congregations. It's as though their intellectual apparatuses are excluded from examining this area of their lives. Additionally, the more intelligent the individual the more intelligent and thus the more convincing his own rationalizations will sound to him.

I don't think this can be boiled down to an issue of IQ or even gullibility.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 11:16:10 AM
At 9/19/2015 11:10:29 AM, Hitchian wrote:

Hence my puzzlement. I know of highly intelligent people who not only are active Jehovah's Witnesses, they have responsibilities within their congregations. It's as though their intellectual apparatuses are excluded from examining this area of their lives. Additionally, the more intelligent the individual the more intelligent and thus the more convincing his own rationalizations will sound to him.

I hope you are aware that there is no such word as gullible in the dictionary.
Hitchian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 11:18:56 AM
At 9/19/2015 11:16:10 AM, desmac wrote:

http://dictionary.reference.com...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 11:22:47 AM

Are you talking to Steven? Jo?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 11:25:38 AM
At 9/19/2015 10:25:41 AM, Hitchian wrote:

Isolationist, fundamentalist, and science-averse, using severe social pressure to ensure conformity in parents and kids alike, they're not a very educated or thoughtful church, Hitchian.

It'd be a great tribute to the power of human reason if more adherents left just from failed dogma. But the most important reason to leave is that by any modern standard, they're cruel, conceited and inhumane. And if people won't leave when they're being intimidated, manipulated and abused, then it's hard to see them leaving just from being lied to.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 12:00:18 PM

A high intelligence doesn't preclude irrational fear, especially when that fear is enhanced with every word spoken by those they trust and enforced by the threat of losing the ones they love should they even question those words.
The jehovians don't recognise their history, lest it creates questions, as can be observed by the current and disfelowshipped members on this very board.
Hitchian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 12:13:39 PM
At 9/19/2015 12:00:18 PM, bulproof wrote:

A high intelligence doesn't preclude irrational fear, especially when that fear is enhanced with every word spoken by those they trust and enforced by the threat of losing the ones they love should they even question those words.
The jehovians don't recognise their history, lest it creates questions, as can be observed by the current and disfelowshipped members on this very board.

I certainly acknowledge the emotional conundrum most witnesses face: they're stuck between a rock and a hard place, the rock being the dread God will punish them for questioning the Governing Body, the hard place being the dread of potentially finding out they've been wrong all along and that they've wasted their entire lives at the service of a tenebrous delusion. I understand that.

What I'm asking is what sort of event, what kind of floodlight shone upon the facts could possibly slap the witnesses across the face so that they would wake up from the torpor and face reality?
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 12:25:40 PM

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh?

http://www.collinsdictionary.com...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 12:32:18 PM
At 9/19/2015 12:13:39 PM, Hitchian wrote:

I certainly acknowledge the emotional conundrum most witnesses face: they're stuck between a rock and a hard place, the rock being the dread God will punish them for questioning the Governing Body, the hard place being the dread of potentially finding out they've been wrong all along and that they've wasted their entire lives at the service of a tenebrous delusion. I understand that.

What I'm asking is what sort of event, what kind of floodlight shone upon the facts could possibly slap the witnesses across the face so that they would wake up from the torpor and face reality?

I think they would need to start specifying when their desperately wanted armageddon would occur as they did before. They lost many after 1914 and 1925 and then when they threaten anyone with eternal damnation if they even remember those prophesies, they will continue with their ridiculousness. But in reality they are simply the fodder for part time comedians, like me. LOL
Hitchian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 3:09:01 PM
At 9/19/2015 12:32:18 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/19/2015 12:13:39 PM, Hitchian wrote:

I think they would need to start specifying when their desperately wanted armageddon would occur as they did before. They lost many after 1914 and 1925 and then when they threaten anyone with eternal damnation if they even remember those prophesies, they will continue with their ridiculousness. But in reality they are simply the fodder for part time comedians, like me. LOL

They won't make that mistake again. They are not that stupid.
In 100 years, when nothing has happened, they will simply re-adjust the definition of a Generation, or of the pronoun This. And witnesses will buy it.

Some problems just refuse to have a solution.