Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Is Christianity nihilist?

triangle.128k
Posts: 3,675
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 5:17:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Nihilism is the idea of life having no meaning. Do you think that applies to Christianity?

Many Christians impose that all of us are sinners, and some of us will get salvation and reunite with god out of the world of sin (Earth). Is this concept not nihilist?

Doesn't it technically mean that life is meaningless, that goodness comes after you die?
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 5:20:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/19/2015 5:17:12 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
Nihilism is the idea of life having no meaning. Do you think that applies to Christianity?

Many Christians impose that all of us are sinners, and some of us will get salvation and reunite with god out of the world of sin (Earth). Is this concept not nihilist?

Doesn't it technically mean that life is meaningless, that goodness comes after you die?

No, Christianity subscribes to moral realism. Nihilism falls under atheism, and possibly deism.
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 5:29:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/19/2015 5:17:12 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
Nihilism is the idea of life having no meaning. Do you think that applies to Christianity?

Many Christians impose that all of us are sinners, and some of us will get salvation and reunite with god out of the world of sin (Earth). Is this concept not nihilist?

Doesn't it technically mean that life is meaningless, that goodness comes after you die?

So often I hear theists claim in a naturalist world there could be nothing to live for. Only the after life can possibly be meaningful, ergo this life is meaningless.
It might be objected that this life has meaning because of the life that will follow, but then we are talking about merely instrumental value, not intrinsic value.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Jael
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 5:29:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
When we are saved from sin we also can live a victorious life on this Earth like Heaven on Earth because Jesus is living in us but not all are but are just hoping to endure until we go to Heaven but that shouldn't be. This world is not forever and we must know where we're going, Heaven or Hell. It's our choice. Christ did all He can for us so it's just to receive it and live it. Therefore I disagree that it's nihilist.
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 7:16:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
You might find the book of Ecclesiastes interesting, in a way it addresses this subject.

I wouldn't call it that, but Christianity is probably closer to Absurdism than Nihilism.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
Mobutu
Posts: 325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 8:45:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/19/2015 5:17:12 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
Nihilism is the idea of life having no meaning. Do you think that applies to Christianity?

Many Christians impose that all of us are sinners, and some of us will get salvation and reunite with god out of the world of sin (Earth). Is this concept not nihilist?

Doesn't it technically mean that life is meaningless, that goodness comes after you die?

Nope. Atheism is a nihilist system though.
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 9:11:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/20/2015 8:45:13 AM, Mobutu wrote:
At 9/19/2015 5:17:12 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
Nihilism is the idea of life having no meaning. Do you think that applies to Christianity?

Many Christians impose that all of us are sinners, and some of us will get salvation and reunite with god out of the world of sin (Earth). Is this concept not nihilist?

Doesn't it technically mean that life is meaningless, that goodness comes after you die?

Nope. Atheism is a nihilist system though.

Because someone told you so, how very droll.
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 9:13:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/19/2015 5:29:32 PM, Jael wrote:
When we are saved from sin we also can live a victorious life on this Earth like Heaven on Earth because Jesus is living in us but not all are but are just hoping to endure until we go to Heaven but that shouldn't be. This world is not forever and we must know where we're going, Heaven or Hell. It's our choice. Christ did all He can for us so it's just to receive it and live it. Therefore I disagree that it's nihilist.
How can being a sinner, being unrighteous be living a victorious life, heaven on earth?
Plenty of sinning in heaven is there?
Philocat
Posts: 728
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 12:15:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Well, a common theme and belief in theism is that God created us to be happy. This would suggest that utilitarianism, or a variant of, should be the basis for theistic morality.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 2:08:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/19/2015 5:17:12 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
Nihilism is the idea of life having no meaning. Do you think that applies to Christianity?

Yeah I lean that way not that christians would accept it. Christians are very good at making claims like if God does not exist it's all meaningless.

Okey lets just accept that, if it's all meaningless adding an invisible person who exists outside the universe doesn't suddenly not make it all meaningful does it ?


Many Christians impose that all of us are sinners, and some of us will get salvation and reunite with god out of the world of sin (Earth). Is this concept not nihilist?

Doesn't it technically mean that life is meaningless, that goodness comes after you die?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 3:04:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/19/2015 5:17:12 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
Nihilism is the idea of life having no meaning. Do you think that applies to Christianity?

Many Christians impose that all of us are sinners, and some of us will get salvation and reunite with god out of the world of sin (Earth). Is this concept not nihilist?

Doesn't it technically mean that life is meaningless, that goodness comes after you die?

It's been established that God is a bumbling fool when it comes to creating things, as can be shown in his attempt to create robots to follow a program. He has high hopes that the latest version of his program; Subservience V. 2.5 (Christianity), will run properly, however the hardware he designed has many flaws, hence the programming is clunky and full of glitches. In fact, the more the hardware attempts to follow the program, the more often it crashes. What God failed to take into consideration is that when the programming is broken and the hardware runs without the program, the better the robot works. This broken program is called Intelligence V. 1.0 (Reality) and the robot is no longer clunky hardware, but has evolved to become Human.

So, in God's attempt to provide meaning for his robots (Subservience), some of them have found their own meaning (intelligence) while the rest continue to follow the program always envious of Intelligence and Reality, but just can't seem to break their programming to join it.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Geogeer
Posts: 4,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 10:24:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/19/2015 5:29:22 PM, Fkkize wrote:
At 9/19/2015 5:17:12 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
Nihilism is the idea of life having no meaning. Do you think that applies to Christianity?

Many Christians impose that all of us are sinners, and some of us will get salvation and reunite with god out of the world of sin (Earth). Is this concept not nihilist?

Doesn't it technically mean that life is meaningless, that goodness comes after you die?

So often I hear theists claim in a naturalist world there could be nothing to live for. Only the after life can possibly be meaningful, ergo this life is meaningless.
It might be objected that this life has meaning because of the life that will follow, but then we are talking about merely instrumental value, not intrinsic value.

An accident has no intrinsic value; a creation does.
itsnoone
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 1:00:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/19/2015 5:29:32 PM, Jael wrote:
When we are saved from sin we also can live a victorious life on this Earth like Heaven on Earth because Jesus is living in us but not all are but are just hoping to endure until we go to Heaven but that shouldn't be. This world is not forever and we must know where we're going, Heaven or Hell. It's our choice. Christ did all He can for us so it's just to receive it and live it. Therefore I disagree that it's nihilist.

You don't understand the scriptures very well;

II Thesalonians 2:
13: But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God chose you from the beginning to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth.
14: To this he called you through our gospel, so that you may obtain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

No man can make a choice to be saved or not.
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 6:21:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/20/2015 3:04:08 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/19/2015 5:17:12 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
Nihilism is the idea of life having no meaning. Do you think that applies to Christianity?

Many Christians impose that all of us are sinners, and some of us will get salvation and reunite with god out of the world of sin (Earth). Is this concept not nihilist?

Doesn't it technically mean that life is meaningless, that goodness comes after you die?

It's been established that God is a bumbling fool when it comes to creating things, as can be shown in his attempt to create robots to follow a program. He has high hopes that the latest version of his program; Subservience V. 2.5 (Christianity), will run properly, however the hardware he designed has many flaws, hence the programming is clunky and full of glitches. In fact, the more the hardware attempts to follow the program, the more often it crashes. What God failed to take into consideration is that when the programming is broken and the hardware runs without the program, the better the robot works. This broken program is called Intelligence V. 1.0 (Reality) and the robot is no longer clunky hardware, but has evolved to become Human.

So, in God's attempt to provide meaning for his robots (Subservience), some of them have found their own meaning (intelligence) while the rest continue to follow the program always envious of Intelligence and Reality, but just can't seem to break their programming to join it.

+ a whole heap.
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 6:25:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/20/2015 10:24:40 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 9/19/2015 5:29:22 PM, Fkkize wrote:
At 9/19/2015 5:17:12 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
Nihilism is the idea of life having no meaning. Do you think that applies to Christianity?

Many Christians impose that all of us are sinners, and some of us will get salvation and reunite with god out of the world of sin (Earth). Is this concept not nihilist?

Doesn't it technically mean that life is meaningless, that goodness comes after you die?

So often I hear theists claim in a naturalist world there could be nothing to live for. Only the after life can possibly be meaningful, ergo this life is meaningless.
It might be objected that this life has meaning because of the life that will follow, but then we are talking about merely instrumental value, not intrinsic value.

An accident has no intrinsic value; a creation does.

Are you such a failed creation that you're incapable of creating value?
Why do the religious (abrahamic) spend so much time in self flagellation, psychologically?
Is it because if they actually believe in themselves they will suffer for eternity as their god says?
It is such a sad way to spend the only life that exists, there was no Adam.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 6:39:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/19/2015 5:17:12 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
Nihilism is the idea of life having no meaning. Do you think that applies to Christianity?

Many Christians impose that all of us are sinners, and some of us will get salvation and reunite with god out of the world of sin (Earth). Is this concept not nihilist?

Doesn't it technically mean that life is meaningless, that goodness comes after you die?

Your (the Father's) will be done on Earth as it is in heaven.
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 8:07:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/21/2015 6:39:23 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 9/19/2015 5:17:12 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
Nihilism is the idea of life having no meaning. Do you think that applies to Christianity?

Many Christians impose that all of us are sinners, and some of us will get salvation and reunite with god out of the world of sin (Earth). Is this concept not nihilist?

Doesn't it technically mean that life is meaningless, that goodness comes after you die?

Your (the Father's) will be done on Earth as it is in heaven.
Welcome to heaven R2D2.
Geogeer
Posts: 4,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 6:06:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/21/2015 6:25:47 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/20/2015 10:24:40 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 9/19/2015 5:29:22 PM, Fkkize wrote:
At 9/19/2015 5:17:12 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
Nihilism is the idea of life having no meaning. Do you think that applies to Christianity?

Many Christians impose that all of us are sinners, and some of us will get salvation and reunite with god out of the world of sin (Earth). Is this concept not nihilist?

Doesn't it technically mean that life is meaningless, that goodness comes after you die?

So often I hear theists claim in a naturalist world there could be nothing to live for. Only the after life can possibly be meaningful, ergo this life is meaningless.
It might be objected that this life has meaning because of the life that will follow, but then we are talking about merely instrumental value, not intrinsic value.

An accident has no intrinsic value; a creation does.

Are you such a failed creation that you're incapable of creating value?

According to you I'm not a creation, but a cosmic accident.
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 6:13:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/21/2015 6:06:54 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 9/21/2015 6:25:47 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/20/2015 10:24:40 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 9/19/2015 5:29:22 PM, Fkkize wrote:
At 9/19/2015 5:17:12 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
Nihilism is the idea of life having no meaning. Do you think that applies to Christianity?

Many Christians impose that all of us are sinners, and some of us will get salvation and reunite with god out of the world of sin (Earth). Is this concept not nihilist?

Doesn't it technically mean that life is meaningless, that goodness comes after you die?

So often I hear theists claim in a naturalist world there could be nothing to live for. Only the after life can possibly be meaningful, ergo this life is meaningless.
It might be objected that this life has meaning because of the life that will follow, but then we are talking about merely instrumental value, not intrinsic value.

An accident has no intrinsic value; a creation does.

Are you such a failed creation that you're incapable of creating value?

According to you I'm not a creation, but a cosmic accident.

Why would what I think mean anything to you?
Whether you are a cosmic accident or a god created proto automaton or something else you wish to be determined as, can't you provide a reason for your existence and if not why not?