Jump to topic:

Can't decide which religion? READ ON.

TanzaFights
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 7:29:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Forced religion is wrong, and hopefully most of us have the right to choose.
But I can't.
Pastafarianism, Googlism, various future "fads" (sorry).
Switching is fun. I enjoy it. It's the only thing that my Hufflepuff loyalty doesn't stretch to.
I'm probably not the only one.
So...
Let's start one...
It's a sort of cover for fellow switchers. A name is the only thing that's missing. We can switch between religions while tethered to this safe home so that we don't have to keep changing our statuses on our various accounts.
Please do not steal this weird idea. I will be seriously upset, and possibly go to the most evil force known to humans...a lawyer.
EXPLOSIONS
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 9:01:44 PM
At 9/19/2015 7:29:39 PM, TanzaFights wrote:
Forced religion is wrong, and hopefully most of us have the right to choose.
But I can't.
Pastafarianism, Googlism, various future "fads" (sorry).
Switching is fun. I enjoy it. It's the only thing that my Hufflepuff loyalty doesn't stretch to.
I'm probably not the only one.
So...
Let's start one...
It's a sort of cover for fellow switchers. A name is the only thing that's missing. We can switch between religions while tethered to this safe home so that we don't have to keep changing our statuses on our various accounts.
Please do not steal this weird idea. I will be seriously upset, and possibly go to the most evil force known to humans...a lawyer.
EXPLOSIONS

Vedantism is the right choice for you. It has endless possibilities and transcendental which is just what laggers like you need to overcome your backwardness.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 9:13:21 PM
What you are talking about isn't religion, It's called being full of crap.

Honest people don't choose what they believe. Why don't you practice sincerity instead?
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 10:31:27 PM
At 9/19/2015 9:13:21 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:

Honest people don't choose what they believe. Why don't you practice sincerity instead?

Honest people don't choose what they believe. That is the height of insincerity.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 10:35:56 PM
At 9/19/2015 10:31:27 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Honest people don't choose what they believe. That is the height of insincerity.

I was under the impression that honesty was something integral to sincerity. Is it not the insincere that profess belief in things that they don't truly believe?
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 10:41:19 PM
At 9/19/2015 10:35:56 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:

I was under the impression that honesty was something integral to sincerity. Is it not the insincere that profess belief in things that they don't truly believe?

The definition of insincerity is quite the opposite of your understanding of it. Insincerity is being insincere about what one believes or does not believe in. After all being truthful in either situation would be deemed sincere.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 10:46:41 PM
At 9/19/2015 10:41:19 PM, Harikrish wrote:

The definition of insincerity is quite the opposite of your understanding of it. Insincerity is being insincere about what one believes or does not believe in. After all being truthful in either situation would be deemed sincere.

Insincere as defined by Merriam-Webster...

"not expressing or showing true feelings"

I suppose that expression is an integral part of the equation here.

If we use the definition of Belief...

"conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence"

It is intrinsic to the definition of "belief" that one must be honest.

Honest is defined as...

"free from fraud or deception"

So do you understand what I meant when I said, "Honest people do not choose their beliefs?"

Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 10:59:35 PM
At 9/19/2015 10:46:41 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:

"conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence"

Honest is defined as...

So do you understand what I meant when I said, "Honest people do not choose their beliefs?"

But that is not saying honest is being free from beliefs.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 1:35:53 AM
At 9/19/2015 10:59:35 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Honest is defined as...

From an epistemelogical standpoint, there is only one thing that I and anyone else can be 100% certain of. That is, that there is some form of existence. I believe that experience testifies to this self evident truth. I would be lying if I said I didn't believe this.

Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 2:44:29 PM
At 9/20/2015 1:35:53 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 9/19/2015 10:59:35 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Honest is defined as...

From an epistemelogical standpoint, there is only one thing that I and anyone else can be 100% certain of. That is, that there is some form of existence. I believe that experience testifies to this self evident truth. I would be lying if I said I didn't believe this.

So even honest people choose to believe certain things which is quite the opposite of what you were saying earlier.

You wrote:"Honest people don't choose what they believe."

So the issue here is:

1. Did you choose to lie in the statement you made about "honest people don't choose what they believe."

2. You continued to lie even after your statement was shown to be inaccurate.

3. You were prepared to go the extra mile to protect your lying by introducing definitions.and now epistemological standpoints.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 3:36:47 PM
At 9/19/2015 9:01:44 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Vedantism is the right choice for you.

LOL. How very insincere of you to offer that choice, Hari.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 3:40:13 PM
At 9/20/2015 3:20:05 PM, Mobutu wrote:
Christianity is the only true faith. All other faiths are mistruths and come from the Wicked.

I know you're just a child, but your statement can be used by every single believer on the planet, regardless of their choice of faith, hence it is meaningless.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 3:41:42 PM
At 9/20/2015 3:40:13 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
Christianity is the only true faith. All other faiths are mistruths and come from the Wicked.

I know you're just a child, but your statement can be used by every single believer on the planet, regardless of their choice of faith, hence it is meaningless.

You are just one of the Wicked. Still Christianity is the true faith, if it wasn't then why are African muslims having visions of Christian and joining our faith?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 3:44:04 PM
At 9/20/2015 3:41:42 PM, Mobutu wrote:
At 9/20/2015 3:40:13 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

You are just one of the Wicked. Still Christianity is the true faith, if it wasn't then why are African muslims having visions of Christian and joining our faith?

LOL. Another meaningless statement that can be used by every believer on the planet. Have you more meaningless statements to offer?
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 3:48:06 PM
At 9/20/2015 3:36:47 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

You are the most dishonest poster on DDO. You took my text out of context. It was from post#4 which was a response to UniversalTheologian where he said "Honest people don't choose what they believe."

Why are you resorting to such lowly behaviour? Darwin only called your common ancestors monkeys. Surely you must have evolved some after his first discovery 150 years ago. I believe you are 80% DNA matched with monkeys. Where is the 20% improvement?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 4:32:24 PM
At 9/20/2015 3:48:06 PM, Harikrish wrote:

You are the most dishonest poster on DDO. You took my text out of context. It was from post#4 which was a response to UniversalTheologian where he said "Honest people don't choose what they believe."

And, you agreed with him, then went on to be a hypocrite.

Why are you resorting to such lowly behaviour? Darwin only called your common ancestors monkeys. Surely you must have evolved some after his first discovery 150 years ago. I believe you are 80% DNA matched with monkeys. Where is the 20% improvement?

Yes Hari, you continue to repeat the obvious, your lack of understanding.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 8:40:23 PM
Honest people don't believe things?

I believe that what can be known with 100% certainty from an epistemelogical standpoint is that experience testifies that there is some form of existence.. Though I can say I believe this, and I know this, I can also say that it is this fundamental understanding of my own ignorance and fallibility that topples all principalities, strongholds, philosophy, legality, knowledge, etc. and leaves me with the conclusion that this unknowable God is utterly beyond abstraction, as abstraction is in itself a fundamental property of human bias, and that no words can adequately express what is so alien and mysterious. It is what God points to, the Holiest Name that transcends all conception. It is the Source of All things, The Sustainer of Creation, The Greatest Order, The Purest Chaos. The Great King has a multitude of names, and they are all beautiful, but none of them are but translations of That Unpronounceable Name.

I believe this on faith, as it is truly self evident. It is also self evident that God, being this Ultimate Reality which transcends any conception of it, and can only be shadowed, gives rise to all things. It should be self evident that there is only One worthy of the Title of God, and that One is Eternally Sufficient, never having beginning or end, always there. This Birther of All, Creator of All, Source of All, who is mysterious and Uncreated. Transcending relativity being Truly What Is.

The God of Ignorance, how you humble those who in vain make claims of gnosticism when it is evident that your purity clearly can not be known by creation. How you mock those who pridefully declare their hearts to be pure, and their discernment free from blemish. How in Your wisdom, you have made it possible for those who seek you with sincerity to be a witness to the err of the polytheistic pagans, those trapped in duality who worship Your Image, and those who grasp madly for the wind! Truly, you are The God of Highest Knowledge, exposing pretension of gnosis for what it is, dust and vapor compared to The One who knows creation better than creation can know itself!

How beautiful the Image of God, the artwork of The Creator. Through observation of it, The Ungraspable one's signature is manifest, The Way shown, and The Word Spoken. Oh how surrender to The Lord brings true peace, how acceptance of Divine Will allows one to transcend suffering. Oh how vain the will of man, Irresistible God! God is Merciful, Forgiving, Loving. Whose wisdom is even visible next to God's? Oh Righteous God, how petty the vain imaginings of creation compared to your Supreme Reality. Your Name is blessed above all others for all eternity, Your Salvation evident through the works of Your Divine Grace. So it is.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 2:16:23 AM

Which one?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
100_green_bottles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 4:53:09 AM
Let us have an honest religion first...

Religion is a tribal thing. Christians take children and claim them at a young age then educate them at non-state schools and Sunday schools. Indoctrination from birth and hell ( or the absence of heaven) for those who leave.
Muslims are supposed to kill those who leave the faith.
Jews ostracise those who depart, taking away their connections to family and friends.
All religions including so called cults claim your body and alleged soul for their own and woe is you who wants out.
These statements are generalisations but hold true in church law and custom.
It is a pity that there is not a society that bans all religion until a person reaches adulthood. I think there would be less religion in that society.
And please do not reply that you "found" god as an adult in you conversion or re-affirmation in your chosen religion. The tribal upbringing you had has already created a seedbed for others to plant their version of god....
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 1:34:50 PM
At 9/20/2015 4:32:24 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/20/2015 3:48:06 PM, Harikrish wrote:

And, you agreed with him, then went on to be a hypocrite.

Yes Hari, you continue to repeat the obvious, your lack of understanding.

I explained the cause of your slow development. Evolution is a very slow process. From your ancestors who were monkeys continued for many generations as monkeys. Chimpanzees are more intelligent than monkeys, but they belong to the ape family.
You show a chimpanzee type of intelligence. This suggests your monkey ancestors cross bred with Chimpanzees and introduced some rudimentary form of intelligence which is not unlike what you are exhibiting. Because evolution is a slow process your development is not complete.
Even Darwin was skeptical a monkey jumping randomly on a typewriter would eventually produce the works of Shakespeare. It was true then and it is still true with you. Give up. Your posts are not even close to being of any substantive value.
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 3:49:38 PM
At 9/21/2015 4:53:09 AM, 100_green_bottles wrote:

Religion is a tribal thing. Christians take children and claim them at a young age then educate them at non-state schools and Sunday schools. Indoctrination from birth and hell ( or the absence of heaven) for those who leave.
Jews ostracise those who depart, taking away their connections to family and friends.
All religions including so called cults claim your body and alleged soul for their own and woe is you who wants out.
It is a pity that there is not a society that bans all religion until a person reaches adulthood. I think there would be less religion in that society.
And please do not reply that you "found" god as an adult in you conversion or re-affirmation in your chosen religion. The tribal upbringing you had has already created a seedbed for others to plant their version of god....

And what would be the punishment for breaking this state atheist rule? Being placed in the Gulags like in Soviet Russia. This proposal makes you sound like a wannabe Enver Hoxha.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 4:04:41 PM

How about a religion that only binds you to your karma? You are held responsible and accountable for your actions and not your beliefs. And you are not subjected to judgement by others. That is what Buddhism and Vedantism are all about.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 4:04:56 PM
At 9/21/2015 3:49:38 PM, Mobutu wrote:

And what would be the punishment for breaking this state atheist rule? Being placed in the Gulags like in Soviet Russia. This proposal makes you sound like a wannabe Enver Hoxha.

Post #19
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 4:05:40 PM
At 9/21/2015 2:16:23 AM, bulproof wrote:

Which one?

All non Abrahamic faiths.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 4:08:41 PM
At 9/21/2015 4:05:40 PM, Mobutu wrote:

Which one?

So Islam is now christianity.
Do you have even the faintest notion of the garbage you are being fed?
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 4:09:47 PM
At 9/21/2015 4:08:41 PM, bulproof wrote:

Which one?

Islam is also from the Wicked. The devil corrupted them. The Jews are also wicked as they refuse to accept Jesus Christ.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 4:13:54 PM
At 9/21/2015 4:09:47 PM, Mobutu wrote:

Which one?

Islam is also from the Wicked. The devil corrupted them. The Jews are also wicked as they refuse to accept Jesus Christ.

I will try to explain as simply as it is possible.
Now are you with me so far?

Which CHRISTIANITY is the true faith that you claim?
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 4:16:27 PM
At 9/21/2015 4:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:

Which one?

I myself consider my self an Evangelical Christian.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 4:29:46 PM
At 9/21/2015 4:16:27 PM, Mobutu wrote:
At 9/21/2015 4:13:54 PM, bulproof wrote:

Which one?

I myself consider my self an Evangelical Christian.

You haven't answered my question.
Is it beyond your capacity?