Jump to topic:

Islam: ISIS vs. Moderates.

Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 12:51:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Which is truest to the Muslim Faith? ISIS or Moderates?

- The debate here:
* http://www.debate.org...

( My apologies. This is conspicuous advertising. Anyone who wishes to vote on the debate is welcome. )

=> So, which do you think is truest to Islam, ISIS? or Muslims (moderates)?
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 1:02:32 AM
With the ISIS you get the straight juice. With the moderates you get watered down piss. Some cannot take it straight. Others like theirs watered down. We know the ISIS don't care too much about the moderates either and would just as easily treat them as infidels.
So it is a no win situation for the moderates.
don_juan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 1:08:41 AM
At 9/22/2015 12:51:38 AM, Yassine wrote:

- The debate here:

( My apologies. This is conspicuous advertising. Anyone who wishes to vote on the debate is welcome. )

=> So, which do you think is truest to Islam, ISIS? or Muslims (moderates)? : :

It's kind of like the hard-core Catholics who call the Protestants betrayers of their Mother Mary.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 1:18:47 AM
At 9/22/2015 1:02:32 AM, Harikrish wrote:
With the ISIS you get the straight juice. With the moderates you get watered down piss. Some cannot take it straight. Others like theirs watered down. We know the ISIS don't care too much about the moderates either and would just as easily treat them as infidels.

Blowing up Masjids, and commiting suicide:
http://www.independent.co.uk...

http://www.aljazeera.com...

Since when did killing fellow muslims in prayer become the "straight juice" of Islam?
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 1:24:54 AM
At 9/22/2015 1:18:47 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:

Blowing up Masjids, and commiting suicide:
http://www.independent.co.uk...

http://www.aljazeera.com...

Since when did killing fellow muslims in prayer become the "straight juice" of Islam?

Since ISIS started squeezing the Muslim fruits.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 1:32:55 AM

If they weren't Muslims, would it be OK?
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 1:37:15 AM
At 9/22/2015 1:32:55 AM, TBR wrote:

Destruction of Synagogues and Churches are also not allowed in Islam, since Christians and Jews are seen as the "people of the book"
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 1:38:05 AM
At 9/22/2015 1:37:15 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:

Destruction of Synagogues and Churches are also not allowed in Islam, since Christians and Jews are seen as the "people of the book"

So destruction of Hindu temples would be ok?
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 1:45:30 AM

- While you hold this mocking attitude, what is it that you want?! If you're not interested, why do you keep doing this, whatever this is.
Current Debates:

UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 1:50:07 AM
At 9/22/2015 1:38:05 AM, TBR wrote:

Allowed in war time, but the killings of civilians is not allowed, which I was hinting towards in my original post.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 1:59:35 AM
At 9/22/2015 1:50:07 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 9/22/2015 1:38:05 AM, TBR wrote:

Allowed in war time, but the killings of civilians is not allowed, which I was hinting towards in my original post.

Why would destruction of a Hindu temple ever be justified in war? They will never be important military targets that bring an advantage through their destruction.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 1:59:39 AM
At 9/22/2015 1:50:07 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:

- Not necessarily, depends if the temples are involved or neutral.
Current Debates:

Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 2:01:42 AM

- I have no clue what you're talking about here!
Current Debates:

Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 2:04:52 AM
At 9/22/2015 1:08:41 AM, don_juan wrote:

It's kind of like the hard-core Catholics who call the Protestants betrayers of their Mother Mary.

- I don't really understand the analogy, for I don't have that good of a grasp of the hostilities between these two Christian factions. However, I am pretty sure the analogy is false.
Current Debates:

Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 2:05:27 AM
At 9/22/2015 1:24:54 AM, Harikrish wrote:

Since ISIS started squeezing the Muslim fruits.

- What?!!!
Current Debates:

Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 2:06:38 AM
At 9/22/2015 1:59:35 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:

Why would destruction of a Hindu temple ever be justified in war?

- If the temples are hosting militants for example.

They will never be important military targets that bring an advantage through their destruction.

- That's an absurd generalisation.
Current Debates:

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 2:18:54 AM
At 9/22/2015 1:45:30 AM, Yassine wrote:

- While you hold this mocking attitude, what is it that you want?! If you're not interested, why do you keep doing this, whatever this is.

Look. My simple point is - what the other guy's religion is is not a solid reason for killing or not killing.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 2:24:53 AM
And yes I mock. I mock because from an outside perspective this is insane. Justifying killing or condemning killing bases in anyway on what religion you are a part of is... well, insane.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 2:33:56 AM
At 9/22/2015 2:18:54 AM, TBR wrote:
At 9/22/2015 1:45:30 AM, Yassine wrote:

Look. My simple point is - what the other guy's religion is is not a solid reason for killing or not killing.

- Not necessarily! That would depend on geopolitical circumstances of the relevant parties.
Current Debates:

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 2:37:41 AM

That was one of the quotes I was responding to. Implicit in the answer is that "people of the book" are treated differently than people who are not "of the book" right?
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 2:37:56 AM
At 9/22/2015 2:24:53 AM, TBR wrote:
And yes I mock. I mock because from an outside perspective this is insane. Justifying killing or condemning killing bases in anyway on what religion you are a part of is... well, insane.

- Mocking is easy. Anybody can do it. You issue is not the act of mocking, it's the object of mockery. You're ignorant. Thus, even if mocking makes ou feel good about yourself & puts you in a condescending position, you're still ignorant, which makes you mocking attempts pathetic.
Current Debates:

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 2:38:51 AM
- Mocking is easy. Anybody can do it. You issue is not the act of mocking, it's the object of mockery. You're ignorant. Thus, even if mocking makes ou feel good about yourself & puts you in a condescending position, you're still ignorant, which makes you mocking attempts pathetic.

Yea, yea. I am pathetic. Got it.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 2:40:00 AM
At 9/22/2015 2:37:41 AM, TBR wrote:

That was one of the quotes I was responding to. Implicit in the answer is that "people of the book" are treated differently than people who are not "of the book" right?

- As I said. You're utterly ignorant of the subject you attempt to mock. If you were genuinely concerned, you'd be asking questions & trying to understand that which you have yet to learn about.
Current Debates:

Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 2:40:34 AM
At 9/22/2015 2:38:51 AM, TBR wrote:

Yea, yea. I am pathetic. Got it.

- Sadly, you missed the point.
Current Debates:

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 2:43:16 AM
- As I said. You're utterly ignorant of the subject you attempt to mock. If you were genuinely concerned, you'd be asking questions & trying to understand that which you have yet to learn about.

Well... OK. Two points. One, I am not "concerned" in any real way. I simply don't care about the religion (any) other than how it negatively effects me and those around me. Two, I engage to understand - not your religion, but why anyone is willing to say things like "people of the book" are off-limits, and think that is a positive thing to say.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 3:11:11 AM
At 9/22/2015 2:43:16 AM, TBR wrote:

Well... OK. Two points. One, I am not "concerned" in any real way.

- I meant, intellectually.

I simply don't care about the religion (any) other than how it negatively effects me and those around me.

- Well, either the religion is relevant to you, in which case, you do care. Or, it's not, in which you don't, & therefore have no business mocking it. In case you do care, you can either know, then judge. Or, stay ignorant, & mock. So far, you've been doing the latter.

Two, I engage to understand - not your religion, but why anyone is willing to say things like "people of the book" are off-limits, and think that is a positive thing to say.

- Yeah, that's called "understanding the guy's religion". Let me repeat myself, you're utterly clueless of what you think you're defending against. Your attitude is no different than those guys that kill others because of their religion, for in both cases ignorance & prejudice against the other are the cause.
Current Debates:

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 3:38:03 AM
Well... OK. Two points. One, I am not "concerned" in any real way.

- I meant, intellectually.

OK.

I simply don't care about the religion (any) other than how it negatively effects me and those around me.

- Well, either the religion is relevant to you, in which case, you do care. Or, it's not, in which you don't, & therefore have no business mocking it. In case you do care, you can either know, then judge. Or, stay ignorant, & mock. So far, you've been doing the latter.

The religion is relevant in how it effects me. So far, it is undeniably negative. Please don't presume to tell me what is or is not my "business". Islam is my business because it is a giant pain in my a$$. I don't give a rats a$$ about some nuance of the Koran or a Hadith, not in the religious sense, I care about what it does to my enjoyment of MY life, and that is a big fat negative.

Yes, I will stay, by your standard, ignorant. I will also feel free to mock. The bullying effect of religion has little effect on my or my actions. I simply don't care. If you choose to believe in it is fine by me. Really it is. Stop making it my business and I will never be an issue.

Two, I engage to understand - not your religion, but why anyone is willing to say things like "people of the book" are off-limits, and think that is a positive thing to say.

- Yeah, that's called "understanding the guy's religion". Let me repeat myself, you're utterly clueless of what you think you're defending against. Your attitude is no different than those guys that kill others because of their religion, for in both cases ignorance & prejudice against the other are the cause.

Yea yea. Utterly clueless. Got it.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 3:57:23 AM
At 9/22/2015 3:38:03 AM, TBR wrote:

The religion is relevant in how it effects me. So far, it is undeniably negative. Please don't presume to tell me what is or is not my "business". Islam is my business because it is a giant pain in my a$$. I don't give a rats a$$ about some nuance of the Koran or a Hadith, not in the religious sense, I care about what it does to my enjoyment of MY life, and that is a big fat negative.

- You have some strong feelings there pal! Here is an analogy for you. Bob doesn't like Astrology, & because bob doesn't know any better, he thinks Astrology & Astronomy are kinda the same thing. & he says, Astronomy is my business because it is a giant pain in my a$$. I don't give a rats a$$ about some nuance between Astronomy or Astrology, I care about what it does to my enjoyment of MY life, and that is a big fat negative. Now, Bob really meant to speak against Astrology, but due to his ignorance, he can't help but lump it together with Astronomy. If Bob had any common sense, or if he were really honest, he would've made some effort to understand what that "Astronomy" is really about, & how is it different from what he thinks is Astrology... etc.

- Point being, you're no different than Bob. If you were serious about your stance, you would've made some effort to substantiate it. As I said before, prejudice, bigotry, mocking, hate...etc, are all easy. Understanding, tolerance, learning... take a little bit of effort.

Yes, I will stay, by your standard, ignorant. I will also feel free to mock. The bullying effect of religion has little effect on my or my actions. I simply don't care. If you choose to believe in it is fine by me. Really it is. Stop making it my business and I will never be an issue.

- I am not making it your business! If you hadn't stepped into my thread, we wouldn't be having this conversation. You're free to mock, of course. I am just pointing out how your position is delusional at best. Like Bob's.

Yea yea. Utterly clueless. Got it.

- Of course. That's just a fact.
Current Debates:

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 3:58:30 AM
At 9/22/2015 12:51:38 AM, Yassine wrote:

- The debate here:

=> So, which do you think is truest to Islam, ISIS? or Muslims (moderates)?

There is no "True" Muslim faith; there is only what people believe. However, I have no problem seeing Muslims distance themselves from ISIS. They should also try to distance themselves from the Saudis, Hezbollah, and all other Muslims who use violence to achieve religious ends.
Tsar of DDO
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 4:03:31 AM
At 9/22/2015 3:58:30 AM, YYW wrote:

There is no "True" Muslim faith; there is only what people believe.

- Really? Do you have any proof to support that claim.

However, I have no problem seeing Muslims distance themselves from ISIS.

- Agreed.

They should also try to distance themselves from the Saudis, Hezbollah, and all other Muslims who use violence to achieve religious ends.

- Saudis who? Saudi Government? Saudi Clergy? Saudi people? Who or what are you referring exactly?

- Hezbollah is a resistant militant group & has very little to do with religion!

- Religious ends are, well, religious. You mean political ends? I am really confused here.
Current Debates: