Jump to topic:

A case for Free Will

Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 4:28:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I know the arguments have come up several times before on this site if one can truly say you have free will. and they tend to be 'your actions are the cause of some effect' taken to an extreme degree. you grow if in a particular environment and are conditioned by it to have the values or beliefs that you do when you make the 'choices' you do so that in some sence the 'choices' are not of your will but the effect of chain of causes.

but even granted that much of your life conditions what values you have when you make your choices; I say you still need free will in that equation.

because even with values and beliefs gained purely from 'cause and effect' conditioning; I cant ignore the fact that I do not consistently live by those beliefs or values. by the cause and effect of where I was born and everything I have lived through I have the beliefs I do. Sometimes when those beliefs tell me to 'not do' something I still do it anyway. Sometimes when those beliefs tell me to 'not do' that same something I listen and don't do it.

I dont change my beliefs during the occasions they fail to have the 'effect' they are supposed to 'cause'. that variable remains constant. I admit to the particular kind of thing my values would be relevant to also remaining constant. but the result or 'effect' varies still.

Its said only the insane do the same thing twice expecting different results. So if I observe that all the variables listed are the same twice over but the results are different then there HAS to be another variable. with nothing to define what makes the times my 'conditioning' yields what its supposed to and the times it fails to produce fruit we are left with "Free Will" needing to be that hidden variable.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:34:00 PM
At 9/12/2010 8:20:26 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:
The appropriate response would be that you have a much too naive conception of how humans think.

Well. Please do tell us how humans think, better yet, please tell me how I think.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2010 11:29:20 AM
At 9/12/2010 8:20:26 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:
The appropriate response would be that you have a much too naive conception of how humans think.

enlighten me
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.