Jump to topic:

Interview with the University Paper

Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:14:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
So, I had an interview with the university paper (The Northern Star) through email today (as both I and the reporter were too far away from one another to meet in person). I'm Vice President of Atheists, Agnostics, and Free Thinkers on campus. We just had an advertising campaign where we side-walk chalked all over campus "There are probably no gods" and put up posters in the buildings of that exact same statement. There was a huge uproar on campus about it. The majority love it, the minority think it is offensive.

Here's how my interview went:

"What goes on in meetings?"

We start off the meetings with current events regarding religion, and then move on to discussion. A different topic relevant to atheism is discussed every other week (For example, we discussed "Myths attributed to Secularism" our first meeting, and are planning on doing a discussion on "free will" in the future), and an "activity" meeting is done on weeks between discussions. We are planning a BBQ sometime before the end of October, hosting a lecture, showing movies, participating in charity, and performing other tasks still on the drawing board. This year is going to be very active and productive for our group.

Meetings are on Wednesdays at 8 pm in the Neptune Central Smart Classroom.

"About how many members do you currently have or expect to have?"

We've had a lot of our members graduate. I'm expecting a greater number of participating members this year and a lot of vibrant, passionate freshmen. My optimism is especially due to our amazing turn out for discussion Wednesday, September 8th. I'd hope for an average meeting turn out of 20 to 25 members.

"Do you feel there is a negative stigma attached to atheism? If so, why do you think that is?"

There is a negative stigma attached to any system of belief. It is hard to gauge what a belief system is when you look from the outside in. We cleared up a lot of misconceptions about atheism our first meeting. Atheists aren't here to demoralize society. We are here to ask a simple, incredibly important question, "Are there really gods?" We don't persecute. We are just inquisitive individuals who wish to be heard. I hope that this year some curious believers tread into our meetings and learn what we're really about first hand.

"How do you respond to people who are offended by your posters that state "There are probably no gods"?"

A simple statement of belief shouldn't cause so much offense. I am not offended when a Christian states, "There is a god." I have an opposing belief, sure, but why should her statement about her belief offend me? Our posters do not cause bodily harm, do not strip one of their rights, and do not force one to leave their faith behind. All we are doing is putting forth a statement we believe will get someone, somewhere on campus, to have a moment of contemplation and awareness. People build churches, and as Americans we respect their right to do so. I respect their right to do so - their right to explore why we are in this strange universe. We ask a simple question. We hope people can start respecting our right to do so, our right to explore this strange universe.

"Great answers, thank you so much. For the purpose of citing you in the column, could you tell me what year you are, what your major is, and what role you play within the club?"

I'm a Senior, I'm a double major in Philosophy and Psychology, and I'm the Vice President.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you guys think? It'll be in the paper on Tuesday. I'll post it here!
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:25:36 PM
Lol haha that seems like it should be interesting.
I hope no one was too offended by the "there are probably no gods" statement.
I don't get why they would be, but hopefully addressing that in the paper will get people to calm down.

I had no idea there were even groups for atheists.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:26:05 PM
At 9/12/2010 11:14:53 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
So, I had an interview with the university paper (The Northern Star) through email today (as both I and the reporter were too far away from one another to meet in person). I'm Vice President of Atheists, Agnostics, and Free Thinkers on campus. We just had an advertising campaign where we side-walk chalked all over campus "There are probably no gods" and put up posters in the buildings of that exact same statement. There was a huge uproar on campus about it. The majority love it, the minority think it is offensive.

We start off the meetings with current events regarding religion, and then move on to discussion. A different topic relevant to atheism is discussed every other week (For example, we discussed "Myths attributed to Secularism" our first meeting, and are planning on doing a discussion on "free will" in the future), and an "activity" meeting is done on weeks between discussions. We are planning a BBQ sometime before the end of October, hosting a lecture, showing movies, participating in charity, and performing other tasks still on the drawing board. This year is going to be very active and productive for our group.

We've had a lot of our members graduate. I'm expecting a greater number of participating members this year and a lot of vibrant, passionate freshmen. My optimism is especially due to our amazing turn out for discussion Wednesday, September 8th. I'd hope for an average meeting turn out of 20 to 25 members.

"Do you feel there is a negative stigma attached to atheism? If so, why do you think that is?"

There is a negative stigma attached to any system of belief. It is hard to gauge what a belief system is when you look from the outside in. We cleared up a lot of misconceptions about atheism our first meeting. Atheists aren't here to demoralize society. We are here to ask a simple, incredibly important question, "Are there really gods?" We don't persecute. We are just inquisitive individuals who wish to be heard. I hope that this year some curious believers tread into our meetings and learn what we're really about first hand.

"How do you respond to people who are offended by your posters that state "There are probably no gods"?"

A simple statement of belief shouldn't cause so much offense. I am not offended when a Christian states, "There is a god." I have an opposing belief, sure, but why should her statement about her belief offend me? Our posters do not cause bodily harm, do not strip one of their rights, and do not force one to leave their faith behind. All we are doing is putting forth a statement we believe will get someone, somewhere on campus, to have a moment of contemplation and awareness. People build churches, and as Americans we respect their right to do so. I respect their right to do so - their right to explore why we are in this strange universe. We ask a simple question. We hope people can start respecting our right to do so, our right to explore this strange universe.

"Great answers, thank you so much. For the purpose of citing you in the column, could you tell me what year you are, what your major is, and what role you play within the club?"

I'm a Senior, I'm a double major in Philosophy and Psychology, and I'm the Vice President.

My only question is why?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:27:45 PM
At 9/12/2010 11:25:36 PM, lovelife wrote:
I don't get why they would be, but hopefully addressing that in the paper will get people to calm down.

lol We have a lot of people say a lot of insulting things to us as we write "there are probably no gods," yet they expect us to take it when they put up signs that say "Jesus is lord of NIU" :p
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:30:00 PM
At 9/12/2010 11:26:05 PM, jharry wrote:

My only question is why?

What do you mean, "Why"? What exactly are you asking "why" about? You're unclear.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:30:18 PM
At 9/12/2010 11:27:45 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:

lol We have a lot of people say a lot of insulting things to us as we write "there are probably no gods," yet they expect us to take it when they put up signs that say "Jesus is lord of NIU" :p

Lol yeah, thats what I don't get. Equality for all. I'll respect your religion, if you respect my lack of. thats just my veiw anyway :)
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:30:30 PM

I was surprised to find out there is a "free thinking" group not far from me. There are 68 members. i tried to join the group but there was some kind of Atheist test I had to pass before I could join. Oh well.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:32:43 PM
At 9/12/2010 11:30:00 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:

My only question is why?

What do you mean, "Why"? What exactly are you asking "why" about? You're unclear.

Why right that on the side walks? What is the motive for spreading your beliefs?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:34:13 PM
At 9/12/2010 11:30:30 PM, jharry wrote:

I was surprised to find out there is a "free thinking" group not far from me. There are 68 members. i tried to join the group but there was some kind of Atheist test I had to pass before I could join. Oh well.

Lol, they don't want competition I guess. What's the point of such a group if you're not going to allow people in to debate? ;)
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:36:01 PM

If I went to your school I'd totally go to your meetings.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:36:06 PM
At 9/12/2010 11:32:43 PM, jharry wrote:

My only question is why?

Why right that on the side walks? What is the motive for spreading your beliefs?

Everyone on campus writes on the side walks. The Christians, Muslims, Jews, Pagans write on the side walks. The fraternities and sororities write on the side walks. The political groups write on the side walks. People on campus write on the side walks in order to make other people aware of their groups. That is our way of making people aware of our group, and aware of an important topic of discussion. We are not spreading our beliefs. Reading our statement isn't going to change your belief in an instant. We are increasing awareness.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:36:47 PM

That doesn't sound like a free thinking group.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:37:19 PM
At 9/12/2010 11:34:13 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Lol, they don't want competition I guess. What's the point of such a group if you're not going to allow people in to debate? ;)

Haha, we openly invite religious students to come to our meetings :) We actually have quite a few that frequent.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:38:10 PM
At 9/12/2010 11:36:01 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Awesome :) You'd have an amazing time at the meetings.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:39:54 PM
At 9/12/2010 11:37:19 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
At 9/12/2010 11:34:13 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Haha, we openly invite religious students to come to our meetings :) We actually have quite a few that frequent.

Well that's good. I would probably attend a few if I were at your school.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:45:24 PM
At 9/12/2010 11:36:06 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:

My only question is why?

Everyone on campus writes on the side walks. The Christians, Muslims, Jews, Pagans write on the side walks. The fraternities and sororities write on the side walks. The political groups write on the side walks. People on campus write on the side walks in order to make other people aware of their groups. That is our way of making people aware of our group, and aware of an important topic of discussion. We are not spreading our beliefs. Reading our statement isn't going to change your belief in an instant. We are increasing awareness.

We are increasing awareness. Why?
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:45:27 PM
I would, but too lazy. I would probably have to anyway tho, cause I have to go out in social events now. Well if I went to your school I wouldn't

What a nice paradox.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:45:38 PM

Lol, that would make things interesting, to say the least.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:46:06 PM
At 9/12/2010 11:45:24 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/12/2010 11:36:06 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:

My only question is why?

To get more members. To let others know you exist.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:47:26 PM
At 9/12/2010 11:36:47 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:

Well that is what they claim. You have to give them your favorite atheist quote. And some other atheist knowledge I guess. And then you will talk to some person through email and then you will be allowed to access the site to find out where and when the meetings are.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:48:20 PM
At 9/12/2010 11:45:24 PM, jharry wrote:

University Clubs increase awareness so that people will show up to their meetings. It's pretty much common sense there, jharry.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:49:29 PM

I know right, I tried to join one near me but I have to know about atheism before I can join. That is why I want to join, to learn about atheism.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:49:34 PM
At 9/12/2010 11:47:26 PM, jharry wrote:

Well that is what they claim. You have to give them your favorite atheist quote. And some other atheist knowledge I guess. And then you will talk to some person through email and then you will be allowed to access the site to find out where and when the meetings are.

I'm assuming they've had a lot of negative individuals come to their meetings.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:54:53 PM
At 9/12/2010 11:49:34 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:

Must be. I want to learn about it. I try here but it tends to be a bit challenging. I prefer face to face discussion, computer dyslexic. What do you consider negative individuals regarding the topic?
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:55:56 PM
At 9/12/2010 11:54:53 PM, jharry wrote:

Must be. I want to learn about it. I try here but it tends to be a bit challenging. I prefer face to face discussion, computer dyslexic. What do you consider negative individuals regarding the topic?

People who come to the group just to harass the atheists. It happens a few times at my group. We just escort them out. It's more embarrassing for them than us.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:57:21 PM
At 9/12/2010 11:55:56 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
At 9/12/2010 11:54:53 PM, jharry wrote:

People who come to the group just to harass the atheists. It happens a few times at my group. We just escort them out. It's more embarrassing for them than us.

So does asking constitute harassing?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2010 11:59:36 PM
At 9/12/2010 11:45:38 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Lol, that would make things interesting, to say the least.

Lol, yeah.

Back when I philosophy majoring at least 75% (it seemed that way to me at least) of all my classes were atheist/agnostic This was particularly noticeable in phil of religion. Some friends I made in that class would regularly have philosophy pow wows and get to debating. They kept me on my toes and I did the same to them. It was really fun and intellectually stimulating.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2010 12:01:00 AM
At 9/12/2010 11:36:47 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:

Lol the COS is set up much the same way. I find no reason to go to that church tho. Especially if its more strict then Christian churches.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2010 12:02:05 AM
At 9/12/2010 11:57:21 PM, jharry wrote:

So does asking constitute harassing?

No, but then again, it depends on how you ask. If you say, "How do you scum of the earth live with yourselves every day," that is probably on the verge of harassment :p
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2010 12:03:43 AM
At 9/13/2010 12:01:00 AM, lovelife wrote:

Lol the COS is set up much the same way. I find no reason to go to that church tho. Especially if its more strict then Christian churches.

I totally want to go to a Scientology service. That would be hilarious. I'd probably end up being escorted out.