Jump to topic:

Are there any Omnists in this forum?

YaleLandsberg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 6:34:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am new to this forum and I have already found many people here with different views about religion, but so far I see a sense of moderation here not found on many other religion forums. That said, a while back I discovered omnism and now believe myself to be an omnist. Are there any other omnists here to share their views of omnism as found across the spectrum of religions from fundamentalist ones to religious and secular humanists ones, and perhaps beyond?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 6:35:48 PM
At 9/23/2015 6:34:43 PM, YaleLandsberg wrote:
I am new to this forum and I have already found many people here with different views about religion, but so far I see a sense of moderation here not found on many other religion forums. That said, a while back I discovered omnism and now believe myself to be an omnist. Are there any other omnists here to share their views of omnism as found across the spectrum of religions from fundamentalist ones to religious and secular humanists ones, and perhaps beyond?

What's an omnist? Never heard of it before.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 7:20:11 PM

Omnism is the recognition and respect of all religions; those who hold this belief are called omnists (or Omnists). The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) quotes as the term's earliest usage by English poet Philip J. Bailey: in 1839 "I am an omnist, and believe in all religions". [Wiki]

This seems to be a dangerously general stance. Would you be an omnist towards a religion that has doctrines that teach hatred and advocate harm to others, or non-believers of that religion? (This statement is not intended to be directed at any religion). It's one thing to be in favor of people being able to believe whatever they want, but to accept their religion if it is outright harmful is another story.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 7:22:07 PM
At 9/23/2015 7:20:11 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Omnism is the recognition and respect of all religions; those who hold this belief are called omnists (or Omnists). The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) quotes as the term's earliest usage by English poet Philip J. Bailey: in 1839 "I am an omnist, and believe in all religions". [Wiki]

This seems to be a dangerously general stance. Would you be an omnist towards a religion that has doctrines that teach hatred and advocate harm to others, or non-believers of that religion? (This statement is not intended to be directed at any religion). It's one thing to be in favor of people being able to believe whatever they want, but to accept their religion if it is outright harmful is another story.

If this is the case how does it even logically stand? Religions are contradictory to each other.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 7:23:42 PM

Forgive me but that seems like an untenable position since some religions have mutually exclusive beliefs and dogma. To believe in them all is an irrational action, given that issue. How do you reconcile say, Christianity and Hinduism?
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 7:35:11 PM
At 9/23/2015 7:22:07 PM, stubs wrote:

If this is the case how does it even logically stand? Religions are contradictory to each other.

"It is a belief in equality. Not one religion or the other should be superior, preach to convert or kill in the name of "their god/s)" Everyone has their own ways of thinking and believing. There are many aspects to religion that not everyone agrees on. Therefore, omnism is just a religion that agrees to never judge against other beliefs." [from the Wiki page]

I believe that it's more of a general acceptance of religions, rather than a belief in them being true. It's an extremely passive and non-confrontational stance to adopt. I imagine such a person just giving a nod and a smile to pretty much anything anyone has to say.
YaleLandsberg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 8:33:17 PM
At 9/23/2015 7:35:11 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Ok, it seems like there no other omnists here, at least not so far. So please permit me to explain what omnism is to me and several other omnists I have met via the Internet and elsewhere... To me the two keys to omnism are: 1) the belief that some truth can be found in every religion; but 2) no religion has a monopoly on all of the truth. E.g., let's compare a vegan Buddhist versus a meat-eating Christian fundamentalist. To the extent that one or the other can find any thing(s) in the other's religion to agree with, for exaple, charity, kindness... either or both is half-way towards being an omnist. If she or he or they are willing to agree to disagree about whatever is part of the other's religions, they are at least to that extent omnists. Yes, at first, a perspective and attitude, not a religion. Otoh, using an omnist perspective, are there not Christian Omnists/Omnist Christians to the extent that followers of Jesus seek to not throw the first stone, live and let live, and be good Samaritans? And also those who are followers of other religions across the spectrum from fundamental to secular? Just asking?

"It is a belief in equality. Not one religion or the other should be superior, preach to convert or kill in the name of "their god/s)" Everyone has their own ways of thinking and believing. There are many aspects to religion that not everyone agrees on. Therefore, omnism is just a religion that agrees to never judge against other beliefs." [from the Wiki page]

I believe that it's more of a general acceptance of religions, rather than a belief in them being true. It's an extremely passive and non-confrontational stance to adopt. I imagine such a person just giving a nod and a smile to pretty much anything anyone has to say.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 8:47:49 PM
At 9/23/2015 8:33:17 PM, YaleLandsberg wrote:

Ok, it seems like there no other omnists here, at least not so far. So please permit me to explain what omnism is to me and several other omnists I have met via the Internet and elsewhere... To me the two keys to omnism are: 1) the belief that some truth can be found in every religion; but 2) no religion has a monopoly on all of the truth. E.g., let's compare a vegan Buddhist versus a meat-eating Christian fundamentalist. To the extent that one or the other can find any thing(s) in the other's religion to agree with, for exaple, charity, kindness... either or both is half-way towards being an omnist. If she or he or they are willing to agree to disagree about whatever is part of the other's religions, they are at least to that extent omnists. Yes, at first, a perspective and attitude, not a religion. Otoh, using an omnist perspective, are there not Christian Omnists/Omnist Christians to the extent that followers of Jesus seek to not throw the first stone, live and let live, and be good Samaritans? And also those who are followers of other religions across the spectrum from fundamental to secular? Just asking?

Well, I see what you mean, but it seems to be a very vague and loose concept to me. A lot depends on what exactly you mean by "truth", I suppose. Unless a religion's sole teachings are disagreeable, then I agree that some aspects of any religion are right. Most religions advocate the golden rule ("do unto others..."), for example, so then I am accepting of that aspect of any such religion. This "truth", however, tis exclusive to any religion. Based on these last two sentences of mine and the two criteria you gave, would I technically be an monist? And despite the fact that I do hold agreement with the vast majority of religious claims and doctrines?
YaleLandsberg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 11:40:56 PM
At 9/23/2015 8:47:49 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/23/2015 8:33:17 PM, YaleLandsberg wrote:

Well, I see what you mean, but it seems to be a very vague and loose concept to me. A lot depends on what exactly you mean by "truth", I suppose. Unless a religion's sole teachings are disagreeable, then I agree that some aspects of any religion are right. Most religions advocate the golden rule ("do unto others..."), for example, so then I am accepting of that aspect of any such religion. This "truth", however, tis exclusive to any religion. Based on these last two sentences of mine and the two criteria you gave, would I technically be an monist? And despite the fact that I do hold agreement with the vast majority of religious claims and doctrines?

To me, you may be one. But as omnism seems to me to be very individualistic as well as libertarian, I think that we each need to decide that for ourselves. That being said, sir, what I've personnally noticed is that with an omnist perspective, we are not necessarily limited to only discovering things common to all religions. E.g., I have discovered some cool aspects of overlap between Taoism and Confucianism and some others between Taoism and Judaism. Omnism did something else for me as well, but not necessarily pertinent to this thread.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 11:59:34 PM
I am of the opinion that the scriptures that the major religions are based on are God breathed and useful for teaching and instructing in righteousness.

This isn't the same thing as saying that all religions are true though.

True Religion is self correcting and leads to God Realization. True Religion is to Love what is Ultimately Real with all one's being in sincerity of faith, and to love others as the self.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
YaleLandsberg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 12:56:17 AM
At 9/23/2015 11:59:34 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
I am of the opinion that the scriptures that the major religions are based on are God breathed and useful for teaching and instructing in righteousness.

True Religion is self correcting and leads to God Realization. True Religion is to Love what is Ultimately Real with all one's being in sincerity of faith, and to love others as the self.

Is your concept of the true religion compatible with an omnism which sees at least some truth in all religions but no total truth in any one of them? I would like like to think so. If so, how you would you, sir, reconcile the two?
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 1:37:19 AM

Thanks for the clarity. How could all religions be equal if the teach different things? I still see a problem there.
reborn_forever
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 2:07:54 AM
I am new to this forum and I have already found many people here with different views about religion, but so far I see a sense of moderation here not found on many other religion forums. That said, a while back I discovered omnism and now believe myself to be an omnist. Are there any other omnists here to share their views of omnism as found across the spectrum of religions from fundamentalist ones to religious and secular humanists ones, and perhaps beyond? : :

The Truth transcends all religions and everything else that is perceived in this world by God's people. By this I mean, that Truth is not of this world.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 2:08:25 AM
At 9/24/2015 12:56:17 AM, YaleLandsberg wrote:
At 9/23/2015 11:59:34 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:

Is your concept of the true religion compatible with an omnism which sees at least some truth in all religions but no total truth in any one of them? I would like like to think so. If so, how you would you, sir, reconcile the two?

Religion is man made. The purpose of religion is to teach. True Religion testifies to the fact that God makes the best teacher if we are sincere disciples.

You will not find Total Truth in the realm of creation. Understand the nature of creation, and The Uncreated is revealed in a manner that transcends duality. The Truth cannot be expressed in words. Words are creation! To express The Uncreated with created words is like describing a piece of music in the English language.

Many people make the mistake of worshiping creation. This is paganism. Many people make the mistake of equating their personal reality with Highest Reality. This is satanism. An atheist is one who denies the existence of Ultimate Reality or Highest Truth. These are all positions that stem from pride and come from clouded hearts. These positions are built on sand, and are clearly in error.

Purify the heart, be sincere and make Truth the most important thing! If you do this, you will be on the path to correction, and that which is Ultimately Real will be revealed. Knock and the door will be opened. Ask, and you will receive. It is The Truth that sets you free. What are your priorities? Accept no bribery, God is the greatest.

Do you really want to accept a label? I'll tell you that this isn't really who you are, and I'd also tell you that you open yourself up to being someone's straw man.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
YaleLandsberg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 2:13:03 AM
At 9/24/2015 1:37:19 AM, stubs wrote:

Thanks for the clarity. How could all religions be equal if the teach different things? I still see a problem there.

I can only speak per my own view of omnism, no one else's. But that said, sir, I think the inclination for omnists Iknow of to be willing to find various truths in various religions without needing to seek the only true religion enables omnists to contemplate each religion's scriptures in insghtful, but not inciting ways. So, at least to an omnist like me, omnism is less a matter of which religion has the most truths, and more a desire to find as many truths as possible in as many religions as possible. And perhaps encounter all sorts of revelations still hidden in plain sight.
I_Omnist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2015 7:03:52 PM
Hello Yale. I checked out familycology.com. It seems as though you are attempting to start a movement on a small scale by utilizing Omnism. Understand that most people want a clear cut definition of something so it can suit the standards of living that they are accustomed too. Many Americans have the notion of servitude to government by being controlled by economics in order to live a life that they see others living. Attempting to "buck the system" will only bring about the same questions that they have heard over and over again. They are used to living with and by money and cannot imagine a time based economy over a currency based economy. I am currently working on the theory of Omnistocraticism and it is based around indigenous cultures and ideals of smaller scales to support larger groups. It's a ways off still, but it's there just the same and it is geared more for a world based system rather than individual countries quarreling over land, finances, religions and all the current world problems that everyone seems to have the answers about but bring nothin new to the table. Look me up on Facebook under I Omnist if you'd like to discuss things in more detail. Long days and pleasant nights to you and yours.
GrimReaper73532
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 6:04:27 AM
Posted: 10 months ago

Yes I am an omnist-F14-My family is full blown Christian-they always joke about me not wanting to go to church or pray at dinner-I will refuse to say I love Jesus as well---I hated it. Having to be forced to be this way was the worst thing imaginable at the time. Recently I was on Google researching religions once more, and I typed in-All religions and a few things popped up-Universalism, Unitarianism and Omnism-I read through all 3 and I couldn't even believe it. Omnism was almost like a dream come true for me. Finally something that made sense! I could believe in everything because I already do. I believe in all gods and all religions, that they all are just pieces of a bigger puzzle-so I am proud to say I am an omnist. I don't know how many of "us" there are besides me. I would love to learn more.
Grim