What is a "relationship" with God?

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 8:24:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/23/2015 7:01:45 PM, janesix wrote:
Many people claim to have a personal relationship with God or Jesus. What does it mean?

It means the less you use critical thinking skills, the more likely you are to pretend.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 8:30:22 PM
Many people claim to have a personal relationship with God or Jesus. What does it mean?

It means nothing, really. It's jibberish that allows the speaker/writer to make it mean whatever he wants it to mean. For that reason, the phrase is not found in the Bible.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 10:49:42 PM

It means different things to different people and doesn't mean a lot to those incapable of a personal relationship of any kind.

It simply means God cares for you as a person. The God of the bible is a personal God and not some distant theocratic figure. He is very involved in your well being and when you begin to reciprocate His love you begin to know Him personally and start developing a personal relationship with God or likewise Jesus.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 10:54:10 PM
God represents The Supreme and Ultimate Reality, existence as things are.

You, having an experience that is unique to you, experience your own little reality.

This is your personal relationship with God.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
reborn_forever
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 2:47:16 AM
Many people claim to have a personal relationship with God or Jesus. What does it mean? : :

Since Jesus was killed over 2,000 years ago, no one will have a relationship with him again.

The Father ( God, Creator ) that Jesus and the rest of his servants spoke for all had unique relationships with Him as His voice. No man can understand this kind of relationship with our Creator.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 3:19:19 AM
At 9/24/2015 2:47:16 AM, reborn_forever wrote:
Many people claim to have a personal relationship with God or Jesus. What does it mean? : :

Since Jesus was killed over 2,000 years ago, no one will have a relationship with him again.

The Father ( God, Creator ) that Jesus and the rest of his servants spoke for all had unique relationships with Him as His voice. No man can understand this kind of relationship with our Creator.

I see the homeless clown is back.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 3:39:39 AM
At 9/24/2015 3:19:19 AM, annanicole wrote:

From the Epistle of James...

My brethren, do not hold the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with partiality. For if there should come into your assembly a man with gold rings, in fine apparel, and there should also come in a poor man in filthy clothes, and you pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and say to him, "You sit here in a good place," and say to the poor man, "You stand there," or, "Sit here at my footstool," have you not shown partiality among yourselves, and become judges with evil thoughts?

Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him? But you have dishonored the poor man. Do not the rich oppress you and drag you into the courts? Do they not blaspheme that noble name by which you are called?

If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you do well; but if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors. For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. For He who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder." Now if you do not commit adultery, but you do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty. For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 3:43:58 AM
At 9/24/2015 3:39:39 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:

My brethren, do not hold the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with partiality. For if there should come into your assembly a man with gold rings, in fine apparel, and there should also come in a poor man in filthy clothes, and you pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and say to him, "You sit here in a good place," and say to the poor man, "You stand there," or, "Sit here at my footstool," have you not shown partiality among yourselves, and become judges with evil thoughts?

Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him? But you have dishonored the poor man. Do not the rich oppress you and drag you into the courts? Do they not blaspheme that noble name by which you are called?

If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you do well; but if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors. For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. For He who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder." Now if you do not commit adultery, but you do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty. For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

Rich, poor, or in-between, a clown is a clown. He's admitted that he lies, then blames God with the fact that he chooses to lie. SMH
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 3:55:34 AM
At 9/24/2015 3:43:58 AM, annanicole wrote:

Rich, poor, or in-between, a clown is a clown. He's admitted that he lies, then blames God with the fact that he chooses to lie. SMH

Insulting someone for being homeless has a real kick a man when he's down quality to it. As someone who has taken vows of poverty, I found it particularly offensive. I'll get over it. I'm already over it.

annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 4:07:23 AM
At 9/24/2015 3:55:34 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:

Insulting someone for being homeless has a real kick a man when he's down quality to it. As someone who has taken vows of poverty, I found it particularly offensive. I'll get over it. I'm already over it.

Oh, he's homeless by choice. God made him homeless. God also knocked him to the floor and castrated him.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 3:14:29 PM
At 9/24/2015 4:07:23 AM, annanicole wrote:
At 9/24/2015 3:55:34 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:

Oh, he's homeless by choice. God made him homeless. God also knocked him to the floor and castrated him.

You are humiliating BoG beyond what God intended. Who gave you the authority? Are you a chosen believer too of a different bent?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 7:00:23 PM
At 9/23/2015 10:49:42 PM, Harikrish wrote:

It means different things to different people and doesn't mean a lot to those incapable of a personal relationship of any kind.

It simply means God cares for you as a person. The God of the bible is a personal God and not some distant theocratic figure. He is very involved in your well being and when you begin to reciprocate His love you begin to know Him personally and start developing a personal relationship with God or likewise Jesus.

What is the nature of the relationship? For instance, do you feel God's presence, that sort of thing?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 7:04:18 PM
At 9/23/2015 10:54:10 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:

You, having an experience that is unique to you, experience your own little reality.

"Existing" is a personal relationship with God?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 7:05:16 PM
At 9/24/2015 2:47:16 AM, reborn_forever wrote:

You're just mean. Why?
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 7:27:19 PM
At 9/24/2015 7:04:18 PM, janesix wrote:

Certainly.

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 7:35:40 PM
At 9/24/2015 7:27:19 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:

Certainly.

How so? A personal relationship would entail some type of communication.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 7:45:05 PM
At 9/24/2015 7:35:40 PM, janesix wrote:

Certainly.

What do you think fuels your experience?

Creation is a product of the interaction between God and Human. God is that first part of the chain. Your senses abstract information that is drawn from God.

Everyone has a unique interaction with God, making everyone's experience personal.

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 7:59:16 PM
At 9/24/2015 7:45:05 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:

Certainly.

Creation is a product of the interaction between God and Human. God is that first part of the chain. Your senses abstract information that is drawn from God.

Everyone has a unique interaction with God, making everyone's experience personal.

Well I agree, but I'm talking about more. Communication between the person and God. For instance, direct communication, or even just "signs" that are personal.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 8:57:47 PM
At 9/24/2015 7:59:16 PM, janesix wrote:

Certainly.

Well I agree, but I'm talking about more. Communication between the person and God. For instance, direct communication, or even just "signs" that are personal.

God is always speaking to you. Just because God doesn't speak in the way you'd expect doesn't mean that it isn't happening.

Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 8:59:36 PM
At 9/24/2015 7:00:23 PM, janesix wrote:

What is the nature of the relationship? For instance, do you feel God's presence, that sort of thing?

Yes you feel a sense of a reassuring presence, a certain peace and calm. It is a state of heightened awareness. It was explained as a God spot which is an area of the brain when stimulated by electromagnetic probes brought about a similar experience. Now it appears the area covered is much larger.

No 'God Spot' In Brain, Spirituality Linked To Right Parietal Lobe
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 9:20:52 PM
At 9/24/2015 8:57:47 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:

Certainly.

God is always speaking to you. Just because God doesn't speak in the way you'd expect doesn't mean that it isn't happening.

Maybe through our conscience.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 9:40:27 PM

The Father who created the heavens, earth and all life is my Father. I'm his Son
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 9:42:05 PM
At 9/24/2015 9:40:27 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

The Father who created the heavens, earth and all life is my Father. I'm his Son

And how do you communicate with God? is it a two-way street?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 9:43:38 PM
At 9/24/2015 8:59:36 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 9/24/2015 7:00:23 PM, janesix wrote:

Yes you feel a sense of a reassuring presence, a certain peace and calm. It is a state of heightened awareness. It was explained as a God spot which is an area of the brain when stimulated by electromagnetic probes brought about a similar experience. Now it appears the area covered is much larger.

No 'God Spot' In Brain, Spirituality Linked To Right Parietal Lobe
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

And what brings about this type of brain activity when there are no electric probes stabbed in a persons brain?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 9:46:56 PM
At 9/24/2015 9:42:05 PM, janesix wrote:

Yes
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 9:48:19 PM
At 9/24/2015 9:46:56 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Yes

Do you mind elaborating a bit?
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 9:50:42 PM
At 9/24/2015 9:20:52 PM, janesix wrote:
At 9/24/2015 8:57:47 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:

Certainly.

Maybe through our conscience.

God speaks through everything.

Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 9:57:41 PM
At 9/24/2015 9:48:19 PM, janesix wrote:

Yes

We talk to each other what needs elaborating?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 9:59:24 PM
At 9/24/2015 9:57:41 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 9/24/2015 9:48:19 PM, janesix wrote:

Yes

We talk to each other what needs elaborating?

How does God talk to you? With audible words?