Jump to topic:

God's moral nature.

ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 1:18:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So lets say that we know for 100% that God is real. Right? But how do we know that the Christian God is real? I mean how do we know he fits into that mold perfectly? Gow do we know his characteristics and morals are 100% similar? And can't the same arguments be used proving the Islamic God is real?
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 1:26:31 PM
At 9/24/2015 1:18:23 PM, ClashnBoom wrote:
So lets say that we know for 100% that God is real. Right? But how do we know that the Christian God is real? I mean how do we know he fits into that mold perfectly? Gow do we know his characteristics and morals are 100% similar? And can't the same arguments be used proving the Islamic God is real?

If you take a text, and try to extrapolate what traits and characteristics you want, and apply them to the blank mold of "all of existence", anything becomes reasonable to a mind that needs that reason.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 1:30:53 PM
At 9/24/2015 1:26:31 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

If you take a text, and try to extrapolate what traits and characteristics you want, and apply them to the blank mold of "all of existence", anything becomes reasonable to a mind that needs that reason.

Atheist I presume?

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 1:53:21 PM

For the most part, yes.
But you could go full Calvinist and claim to know it via the Sensus Divinitatis. Other than that, I wouldn't know of any way.
Bible exclusive prophecies?
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 1:54:34 PM
The Highest God described universally in scripture across the world is very evidently the same God.

Ultimate Reality and Highest Truth.

This is something that exists independent of, and in fact, transcends defining. God is uncreated, and the only way we can express what is uncreated is through created things, such as words.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 1:58:19 PM

If something is "moral" what we're really referring to is the will or disposition of the mind. If objective morality is real, we're referencing a will/disposition that exists apart from the human mind. AKA God.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 2:40:22 PM
How do YOU not we, know it's characteristics?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 2:45:28 PM
At 9/24/2015 1:58:19 PM, Benshapiro wrote:

If something is "moral" what we're really referring to is the will or disposition of the mind. If objective morality is real, we're referencing a will/disposition that exists apart from the human mind. AKA God.
Perhaps you need to READ the OP. It discusses god not your ever present nonsense of abolitionist nonsense. No that's not it. It's some other form of benny sh*t.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 3:00:19 PM
At 9/24/2015 1:30:53 PM, ClashnBoom wrote:
At 9/24/2015 1:26:31 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Atheist I presume?

Yes, but I don't mind saying "God" generic thing exists for sake of argument.

Are you familiar with theater masks? There is a method by which an actor can take a mask, and despite its rather obvious emotional expression, can alter that expression (to the audience) through different actions. The mask remained the same, however the impression the mask gives changes, many times dramatically. The same quality of change/impression to the audience can be found to a holy book(s).
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 3:18:47 PM
At 9/24/2015 2:40:22 PM, bulproof wrote:

I wouldn't. I'd pray for as sign. Read the Bible and Qur'an. See other religions and cults see what matches. But I'm not really sure.

But I want to know how you people would figure it out or at least have a good guess.
What would you do if for 24 hours everywhere there will be a message in the sky made out of fire that reads"I am real. I am your God." (or something) and scientist are convinced it is not a hoax. Which God would you believe did it? Would you convert?

Fun fact of the week

Joke of the week:
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 3:52:20 PM
At 9/24/2015 3:18:47 PM, ClashnBoom wrote:

I wouldn't. I'd pray for as sign. Read the Bible and Qur'an. See other religions and cults see what matches. But I'm not really sure.

Even though the Bible and the Quran are based on the Abrahamic God, they both have entirely different and contradictory views on the characteristics of that god. You can pray hard and long, but it's unlikely such revelations will ever present themselves to confirm or deny either view.

But I want to know how you people would figure it out or at least have a good guess.

There is only one way, and that way is for God to reveal himself to all mankind and show us those characteristics. Maybe that is something you can pray for instead.

What would you do if for 24 hours everywhere there will be a message in the sky made out of fire that reads"I am real. I am your God." (or something) and scientist are convinced it is not a hoax. Which God would you believe did it? Would you convert?

Messages in the sky are irrelevant to the hard of evidence of God revealing himself to everyone. That's the bottom line, my friend. (:
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 4:00:18 PM
At 9/24/2015 3:52:20 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Even though the Bible and the Quran are based on the Abrahamic God, they both have entirely different and contradictory views on the characteristics of that god. You can pray hard and long, but it's unlikely such revelations will ever present themselves to confirm or deny either view.
Maybe maybe not. What else is there to do but study on religion and cults? Study his behavior .

There is only one way, and that way is for God to reveal himself to all mankind and show us those characteristics. Maybe that is something you can pray for instead.
Lol. He doesn't even show himself right now so....

Messages in the sky are irrelevant to the hard of evidence of God revealing himself to everyone. That's the bottom line, my friend. (:

Umm. How about after that fire sign to prove God exists he will teleport the Earth to different beautiful places in space every minute and he will voice over and tell people wonderful things?

Fun fact of the week

Joke of the week:
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 4:28:00 PM

You would pray to a god you didn't believe in to send you a sign to make you believe in it?
The same way you know that praying to a non existent god to provide you with evidence of it's existence is simply INSANE.
I don't understand what scientists would have to with that message. But it would give me pause and then I would want to know which god it was playing that game. If I lived in INDIA for example, which god do YOU think would be writing that message?
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 4:38:48 PM
At 9/24/2015 4:28:00 PM, bulproof wrote:

You would pray to a god you didn't believe in to send you a sign to make you believe in it?
I do believe in.

The same way you know that praying to a non existent god to provide you with evidence of it's existence is simply INSANE.
No. If he is in fact the Christian God he would respond and if not he won't and if he isn't the Christian God I won't be as interested.

I don't understand what scientists would have to with that message. But it would give me pause and then I would want to know which god it was playing that game. If I lived in INDIA for example, which god do YOU think would be writing that message?

The scientists would check if its a hoax. If it is real fire and whatnot.
And how would you do over which God is toying with us?
Umm. The Hindu God? Allah? Idk.

Fun fact of the week

Joke of the week:
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 4:45:22 PM
At 9/24/2015 4:38:48 PM, ClashnBoom wrote:
At 9/24/2015 4:28:00 PM, bulproof wrote:

I do believe in.

No. If he is in fact the Christian God he would respond and if not he won't and if he isn't the Christian God I won't be as interested.

The scientists would check if its a hoax. If it is real fire and whatnot.
And how would you do over which God is toying with us?
Umm. The Hindu God? Allah? Idk.

Your last para is all that counts, really.
You do understand that the fairy monarchy is very real and has been known for at least as long as the stories concerning the god you wish to believe in?
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 6:52:59 PM
At 9/24/2015 2:45:28 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/24/2015 1:58:19 PM, Benshapiro wrote:

Perhaps you need to READ the OP. It discusses god not your ever present nonsense of abolitionist nonsense. No that's not it. It's some other form of benny sh*t.

We can know God's moral characteristics by our objective moral code. If God is perfectly moral, like both Christianity and Islam posits, then other criteria must be used to separate which God is real.