Jump to topic:

What if you were walking down the sidewalk

Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 2:32:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
And a drunk driver swerved and hit you. It's a hit and run. You can't move and you're bleeding out in middle of the street. An off-duty nurse rushes over and tries to help while others call 911. You feel yourself fading quickly. She grabs your hand and tries to keep you awake. There's blood gushing everywhere. You feel you have about 30 seconds left before you pass away. What would be running through your thoughts in those last 30 seconds? Family? Spouse? Friends? What about God? Would you pray?
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 2:36:04 PM
At 9/25/2015 2:32:35 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
And a drunk driver swerved and hit you. It's a hit and run. You can't move and you're bleeding out in middle of the street. An off-duty nurse rushes over and tries to help while others call 911. You feel yourself fading quickly. She grabs your hand and tries to keep you awake. There's blood gushing everywhere. You feel you have about 30 seconds left before you pass away. What would be running through your thoughts in those last 30 seconds? Family? Spouse? Friends? What about God? Would you pray?

Take stock.

I would like to think my final words would be reminiscent of Peter Pan: "To die would be an awfully big adventure..."

But, failing that, that my boy grows up to the be man whom can bleed out on a sidewalk and look back without regret.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 2:46:31 PM

Pray to what?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 2:55:02 PM

Your fear is the reason you want and need your belief in a heaven and a god. A nurse would not be holding your hand, she would be trying to stem the blood flow. Your fantasy is just a fantasy and everyone can see it by all of your threads and posts.
But in answer to your question, I would (I think) remember my wife, children, grandchildren and maybe some others.
I would remember them with the most profound LOVE available, certainly not the unconditional love that the god of bible uses.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 3:13:46 PM
At 9/25/2015 2:36:04 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Take stock.

I would like to think my final words would be reminiscent of Peter Pan: "To die would be an awfully big adventure..."

But, failing that, that my boy grows up to the be man whom can bleed out on a sidewalk and look back without regret.

But if there's no life after death wouldn't it be the end of the adventure? It seems more fitting to say that *was* an awfully big adventure.

I think we could all want that for our kids. What if you were the one dying though?
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 3:15:45 PM
At 9/25/2015 3:13:46 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 9/25/2015 2:36:04 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Take stock.

But if there's no life after death wouldn't it be the end of the adventure? It seems more fitting to say that *was* an awfully big adventure.

There in lay the rub, there might be something, there might not, that's what makes it a big adventure.

I think we could all want that for our kids. What if you were the one dying though?

I was under the impression I was. The sentiment is that he would live his life in a way in which should he be in the position I was in, lamenting or regretting is an unfortunate state to be in.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 3:15:59 PM

No, I'd be too busy fighting for my last few seconds of life before my consciousness faded away forever, perhaps try to leave a last message for my loved ones. Hate to tell you but I wouldn't start believing and begging in those last 30 seconds.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 3:17:31 PM
At 9/25/2015 2:46:31 PM, JJ50 wrote:

Pray to what?

God.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 3:20:46 PM
At 9/25/2015 2:55:02 PM, bulproof wrote:

Your fear is the reason you want and need your belief in a heaven and a god. A nurse would not be holding your hand, she would be trying to stem the blood flow. Your fantasy is just a fantasy and everyone can see it by all of your threads and posts.
But in answer to your question, I would (I think) remember my wife, children, grandchildren and maybe some others.
I would remember them with the most profound LOVE available, certainly not the unconditional love that the god of bible uses.

I don't believe out of fear. If, however, I were dying in middle of the street of course I'd be afraid to die. I can't know for certain what my last thoughts would be but I'm sure God would be one of them, if not the last thought. I'm supposing that the nurse has done all she could do to stop the bleeding and holds your hand to give you hope and keep you awake so you won't pass out and die. What if God exists and it's not the Christian one? You don't have to pray to any specific deity.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 3:28:27 PM

Knowing how my brain sometimes works, I'd perhaps think something along the lines of, "Dammit - I forgot to put the ketchup back in the fridge..." or "What a day to have left my duct tape at home...". But, I would probably be totally immersed in the current situation and futilely continuing to find some solution.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 3:28:44 PM
At 9/25/2015 3:15:59 PM, dhardage wrote:

No, I'd be too busy fighting for my last few seconds of life before my consciousness faded away forever, perhaps try to leave a last message for my loved ones. Hate to tell you but I wouldn't start believing and begging in those last 30 seconds.

Maybe you wouldn't, Dan, but it seems arrogant to be certain of what you wouldn't do in your last remaining seconds. The fate of your mortality wouldn't be a thought that crosses your mind?
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 3:30:52 PM
At 9/25/2015 3:28:27 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Knowing how my brain sometimes works, I'd perhaps think something along the lines of, "Dammit - I forgot to put the ketchup back in the fridge..." or "What a day to have left my duct tape at home...". But, I would probably be totally immersed in the current situation and futilely continuing to find some solution.

Lol sadly I can relate to this. I wouldn't be surprised if I did the same thing. I think there'd be a moment where I realize what's going to happen and the thoughts start flooding in.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 3:51:10 PM

That should read CONDITIONAL.
sorry.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 3:53:41 PM
At 9/25/2015 3:20:46 PM, Benshapiro wrote:

I don't believe out of fear. If, however, I were dying in middle of the street of course I'd be afraid to die. I can't know for certain what my last thoughts would be but I'm sure God would be one of them, if not the last thought. I'm supposing that the nurse has done all she could do to stop the bleeding and holds your hand to give you hope and keep you awake so you won't pass out and die. What if God exists and it's not the Christian one? You don't have to pray to any specific deity.

According to most religions you most certainly do.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 3:59:22 PM
At 9/25/2015 3:28:44 PM, Benshapiro wrote:

Maybe you wouldn't, Dan, but it seems arrogant to be certain of what you wouldn't do in your last remaining seconds. The fate of your mortality wouldn't be a thought that crosses your mind?

It crosses my mind every day when I see obituaries of friends and family who have passed away. That doesn't make me any more afraid than any other human being. I've had well over half a century to come to grips with my mortality and I am pretty certain by now of how things will go once my time comes, however it comes. I believe I can meet it with some equanimity and not fall into fear when it happens. I have a lot of physical issues, Ben, and I most likely won't last that much longer, relatively speaking. While I'm here I'll continue to live my life as I have always tried to, harming none, helping where I can, and just trying to be happy. I think that's enough for anyone.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 4:41:59 PM

Family, of course. They always come first. God wouldn't even enter the equation, why would it? Praying even less so as it serves no purpose.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 4:44:10 PM

It might be had I been indoctrinated to fear God.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 4:46:39 PM
At 9/25/2015 4:44:10 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Hey, off topic, but why do people call me Dan?
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 4:47:33 PM

My faith in god is why I am not afraid. While soldiers are rampantly commiting suicide from PTSD, I have an acquaintence who overcame it with faith.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 4:50:09 PM
To answer the OP's question, I would look up, take a deep breath, and smile because I'm going to pass in the middle of the street and not in that car wreck I was in that involved a flip and 3 rollovers.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 4:52:51 PM
At 9/25/2015 3:53:41 PM, bulproof wrote:

If there exists one true God, and you prayed to God, it would be a real prayer. Only if you named a certain deity and happened to be wrong about that specific one is when it wouldn't be representative of a prayer to a real deity.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 4:54:58 PM
At 9/25/2015 4:46:39 PM, dhardage wrote:

It may be due to the fact that you're "somewhat electic." (:
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 5:00:31 PM
At 9/25/2015 3:59:22 PM, dhardage wrote:

It crosses my mind every day when I see obituaries of friends and family who have passed away. That doesn't make me any more afraid than any other human being. I've had well over half a century to come to grips with my mortality and I am pretty certain by now of how things will go once my time comes, however it comes. I believe I can meet it with some equanimity and not fall into fear when it happens. I have a lot of physical issues, Ben, and I most likely won't last that much longer, relatively speaking. While I'm here I'll continue to live my life as I have always tried to, harming none, helping where I can, and just trying to be happy. I think that's enough for anyone.

But what if you consider the possibility that God exists? You're willing to wager the fate of your mortality, forever, on the near certainty that God doesn't exist?
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 5:01:45 PM
At 9/25/2015 4:41:59 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Family, of course. They always come first. God wouldn't even enter the equation, why would it? Praying even less so as it serves no purpose.

So you're sure that God wouldn't cross your mind in your last remaining seconds?
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 5:04:01 PM

That's not reasonable, every rational human being has a degree of fear surrounding what happens to them, if anything, after death.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 5:05:32 PM
At 9/25/2015 4:46:39 PM, dhardage wrote:

Sorry I get you mixed up with Danjerusse sometimes. Must be the similarity of how your usernames look at a glance.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 5:06:56 PM
At 9/25/2015 4:52:51 PM, Benshapiro wrote:

If there exists one true God, and you prayed to God, it would be a real prayer. Only if you named a certain deity and happened to be wrong about that specific one is when it wouldn't be representative of a prayer to a real deity.

Doesn't this all knowing god know everything? Like the fact that your prayer is to Zeus? Whether you use the name Zeus or not?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 5:13:04 PM
At 9/25/2015 5:04:01 PM, Benshapiro wrote:

That's not reasonable, every rational human being has a degree of fear surrounding what happens to them, if anything, after death.

Certainly not those who have been honest enough with themselves and accepted the inevitability of death and it's consequences.
Death is the end of what life is, that's all.
Cavemen were afraid of it and invented heaven and gods and hell and satan .
Voila you have the religion and your god your cavemen ancestors invented from their FEAR.
Good luck with that.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 5:20:36 PM
At 9/25/2015 5:06:56 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/25/2015 4:52:51 PM, Benshapiro wrote:

Doesn't this all knowing god know everything? Like the fact that your prayer is to Zeus? Whether you use the name Zeus or not?

If your prayer is to "God" it wouldn't be towards any named deity. If you had a different conception of God in mind, like the Christian or Islam one, but used the term "God", then you just have a misconception of who God is. You're still actually praying to the real God.