Total Posts:51|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The Second Coming of Christ

brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 4:20:02 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Realistically speaking, Jesus is never going to come back to Earth – and here's why:

It is estimated that there are around 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe. [1]

We also know that the universe is around 13,700,000,000 years old and it took several billion years for it to condense into the globular clusters required to form stars and planets capable of supporting life. [2]

From our own experience we further know that it took several billion years for mankind to evolve from amino acids, so we can safely assume that no intelligent life existed in the universe more than around 5,000,000,000 years ago.

Now, if we take a very conservative estimate and assume that only 1 in 1,000 harbours intelligent life that leaves 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 extraterrestrial civilisations for Jesus to visit.

Since Jesus spent around 30 years on Earth we should assume that he spends a similar amount of time with each civilisation. That means that the last five billion years, Jesus will only have had time to visit 167,000,000 civilisations – even if he never took a day off (not even Christmas Day) and he is capable of teleportation – thus leaving him 99,999,999,999,833,000,000 more civilisations for him to visit - and that will take him another 2,970,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.

However, our sun only has enough fuel to burn another 4,000,000,000 years after which time it will become a red giant an engulf the Earth destroying all life upon it. [3]

So, by time Jesus has visited all the other civilisations in the universe and it is time for him to visit mankind again, when he gets here he will find that the Earth was vaporised 742,500,000,000 years earlier!

[1] http://www.universetoday.com...
[2] http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov...
[3] http://www.universetoday.com...
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 4:25:17 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Hehe good stuff...

But wait, if Santa can engorge the stockings of every child on earth in one night I am sure space Jesus can visit every race twice!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 11:43:22 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/14/2010 4:25:17 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Hehe good stuff...

But wait, if Santa can engorge the stockings of every child on earth in one night I am sure space Jesus can visit every race twice!

Couldn't He do it concurrently?
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
CrappyDebater
Posts: 334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 1:14:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/14/2010 4:20:02 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Realistically speaking, Jesus is never going to come back to Earth – and here's why:

It is estimated that there are around 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe. [1]

We also know that the universe is around 13,700,000,000 years old and it took several billion years for it to condense into the globular clusters required to form stars and planets capable of supporting life. [2]

From our own experience we further know that it took several billion years for mankind to evolve from amino acids, so we can safely assume that no intelligent life existed in the universe more than around 5,000,000,000 years ago.

Now, if we take a very conservative estimate and assume that only 1 in 1,000 harbours intelligent life that leaves 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 extraterrestrial civilisations for Jesus to visit.

Since Jesus spent around 30 years on Earth we should assume that he spends a similar amount of time with each civilisation. That means that the last five billion years, Jesus will only have had time to visit 167,000,000 civilisations – even if he never took a day off (not even Christmas Day) and he is capable of teleportation – thus leaving him 99,999,999,999,833,000,000 more civilisations for him to visit - and that will take him another 2,970,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.

However, our sun only has enough fuel to burn another 4,000,000,000 years after which time it will become a red giant an engulf the Earth destroying all life upon it. [3]

So, by time Jesus has visited all the other civilisations in the universe and it is time for him to visit mankind again, when he gets here he will find that the Earth was vaporised 742,500,000,000 years earlier!

[1] http://www.universetoday.com...
[2] http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov...
[3] http://www.universetoday.com...

Assumes other intelligent life in Universe, I don't think there is any.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 1:46:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/14/2010 1:14:06 PM, CrappyDebater wrote:
At 9/14/2010 4:20:02 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Realistically speaking, Jesus is never going to come back to Earth – and here's why:

It is estimated that there are around 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe. [1]

We also know that the universe is around 13,700,000,000 years old and it took several billion years for it to condense into the globular clusters required to form stars and planets capable of supporting life. [2]

From our own experience we further know that it took several billion years for mankind to evolve from amino acids, so we can safely assume that no intelligent life existed in the universe more than around 5,000,000,000 years ago.

Now, if we take a very conservative estimate and assume that only 1 in 1,000 harbours intelligent life that leaves 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 extraterrestrial civilisations for Jesus to visit.

Since Jesus spent around 30 years on Earth we should assume that he spends a similar amount of time with each civilisation. That means that the last five billion years, Jesus will only have had time to visit 167,000,000 civilisations – even if he never took a day off (not even Christmas Day) and he is capable of teleportation – thus leaving him 99,999,999,999,833,000,000 more civilisations for him to visit - and that will take him another 2,970,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.

However, our sun only has enough fuel to burn another 4,000,000,000 years after which time it will become a red giant an engulf the Earth destroying all life upon it. [3]

So, by time Jesus has visited all the other civilisations in the universe and it is time for him to visit mankind again, when he gets here he will find that the Earth was vaporised 742,500,000,000 years earlier!

[1] http://www.universetoday.com...
[2] http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov...
[3] http://www.universetoday.com...


Assumes other intelligent life in Universe, I don't think there is any.

We don't know, of course, but it is very unlikely that out of the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe our sun is the only one that has a planet capable of supporting intelligent life.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 1:59:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/14/2010 1:14:06 PM, CrappyDebater wrote:
At 9/14/2010 4:20:02 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Realistically speaking, Jesus is never going to come back to Earth – and here's why:

It is estimated that there are around 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe. [1]

We also know that the universe is around 13,700,000,000 years old and it took several billion years for it to condense into the globular clusters required to form stars and planets capable of supporting life. [2]

From our own experience we further know that it took several billion years for mankind to evolve from amino acids, so we can safely assume that no intelligent life existed in the universe more than around 5,000,000,000 years ago.

Now, if we take a very conservative estimate and assume that only 1 in 1,000 harbours intelligent life that leaves 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 extraterrestrial civilisations for Jesus to visit.

Since Jesus spent around 30 years on Earth we should assume that he spends a similar amount of time with each civilisation. That means that the last five billion years, Jesus will only have had time to visit 167,000,000 civilisations – even if he never took a day off (not even Christmas Day) and he is capable of teleportation – thus leaving him 99,999,999,999,833,000,000 more civilisations for him to visit - and that will take him another 2,970,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.

However, our sun only has enough fuel to burn another 4,000,000,000 years after which time it will become a red giant an engulf the Earth destroying all life upon it. [3]

So, by time Jesus has visited all the other civilisations in the universe and it is time for him to visit mankind again, when he gets here he will find that the Earth was vaporised 742,500,000,000 years earlier!

[1] http://www.universetoday.com...
[2] http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov...
[3] http://www.universetoday.com...


Assumes other intelligent life in Universe, I don't think there is any.

Ever heard of the Drake Equation? There is an extremely high probability of there being life elsewhere in the Universe. It would be extraordinary and surprising to any scientist if we happened to be the only life in the entire infinite Universe.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 2:10:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/14/2010 1:59:44 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 9/14/2010 1:14:06 PM, CrappyDebater wrote:
At 9/14/2010 4:20:02 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Realistically speaking, Jesus is never going to come back to Earth – and here's why:

It is estimated that there are around 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe. [1]

We also know that the universe is around 13,700,000,000 years old and it took several billion years for it to condense into the globular clusters required to form stars and planets capable of supporting life. [2]

From our own experience we further know that it took several billion years for mankind to evolve from amino acids, so we can safely assume that no intelligent life existed in the universe more than around 5,000,000,000 years ago.

Now, if we take a very conservative estimate and assume that only 1 in 1,000 harbours intelligent life that leaves 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 extraterrestrial civilisations for Jesus to visit.

Since Jesus spent around 30 years on Earth we should assume that he spends a similar amount of time with each civilisation. That means that the last five billion years, Jesus will only have had time to visit 167,000,000 civilisations – even if he never took a day off (not even Christmas Day) and he is capable of teleportation – thus leaving him 99,999,999,999,833,000,000 more civilisations for him to visit - and that will take him another 2,970,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.

However, our sun only has enough fuel to burn another 4,000,000,000 years after which time it will become a red giant an engulf the Earth destroying all life upon it. [3]

So, by time Jesus has visited all the other civilisations in the universe and it is time for him to visit mankind again, when he gets here he will find that the Earth was vaporised 742,500,000,000 years earlier!

[1] http://www.universetoday.com...
[2] http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov...
[3] http://www.universetoday.com...


Assumes other intelligent life in Universe, I don't think there is any.

Ever heard of the Drake Equation? There is an extremely high probability of there being life elsewhere in the Universe. It would be extraordinary and surprising to any scientist if we happened to be the only life in the entire infinite Universe.

didn't some meteor from mars hit earth with life on it?
signature
Ogan
Posts: 407
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 2:36:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/14/2010 4:20:02 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Realistically speaking, Jesus is never going to come back to Earth – and here's why:

It is estimated that there are around 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe. [1]

We also know that the universe is around 13,700,000,000 years old and it took several billion years for it to condense into the globular clusters required to form stars and planets capable of supporting life. [2]

From our own experience we further know that it took several billion years for mankind to evolve from amino acids, so we can safely assume that no intelligent life existed in the universe more than around 5,000,000,000 years ago.

Now, if we take a very conservative estimate and assume that only 1 in 1,000 harbours intelligent life that leaves 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 extraterrestrial civilisations for Jesus to visit.

Since Jesus spent around 30 years on Earth we should assume that he spends a similar amount of time with each civilisation. That means that the last five billion years, Jesus will only have had time to visit 167,000,000 civilisations – even if he never took a day off (not even Christmas Day) and he is capable of teleportation – thus leaving him 99,999,999,999,833,000,000 more civilisations for him to visit - and that will take him another 2,970,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.

However, our sun only has enough fuel to burn another 4,000,000,000 years after which time it will become a red giant an engulf the Earth destroying all life upon it. [3]

So, by time Jesus has visited all the other civilisations in the universe and it is time for him to visit mankind again, when he gets here he will find that the Earth was vaporised 742,500,000,000 years earlier!

[1] http://www.universetoday.com...
[2] http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov...
[3] http://www.universetoday.com...

Ha, ha, I enjoyed that - I did a similar thing when I was young regarding the Noah Ark Animal/insect finding, collection, feeding and storage problems. However, I do think 2 trillion, trillion stars is closer to the number an ant would estimate given the brains. No, its infinite friend.
Chrysippus
Posts: 2,173
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 2:52:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Not to take an obvious joke too seriously, but there is no intellecually honest way to combine Evolution and the Bible. Either one is correct, or the other; Gap theory et. al. simply don't work; logically, thologically, or scientifically. No reason to assume, if the Bible is true (and why reason about Jesus if it is not?), that there necessarily are other planets with life.

Alternately, suppose Theistic Evolution to be true, and your numbers accurate. An omnipotent omnipresent Power made itself an avatar on one of the planets it made; why not on all of them?
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
Chrysippus
Posts: 2,173
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 2:54:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/14/2010 2:52:21 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
Not to take an obvious joke too seriously, but there is no intellecually honest way to combine Evolution and the Bible. Either one is correct, or the other; Gap theory et. al. simply don't work; logically, thologically, or scientifically. No reason to assume, if the Bible is true (and why reason about Jesus if it is not?), that there necessarily are other planets with life.

Alternately, suppose Theistic Evolution to be true, and your numbers accurate. An omnipotent omnipresent Power made itself an avatar on one of the planets it made; why not on all of them?

Hm; not accusing you of trying to fit the Biblical framework in with Evolution. Just saying they are mutually contradictory.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 3:26:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/14/2010 4:20:02 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Realistically speaking, Jesus is never going to come back to Earth – and here's why:

It is estimated that there are around 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe. [1]

We also know that the universe is around 13,700,000,000 years old and it took several billion years for it to condense into the globular clusters required to form stars and planets capable of supporting life. [2]

From our own experience we further know that it took several billion years for mankind to evolve from amino acids, so we can safely assume that no intelligent life existed in the universe more than around 5,000,000,000 years ago.

Now, if we take a very conservative estimate and assume that only 1 in 1,000 harbours intelligent life that leaves 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 extraterrestrial civilisations for Jesus to visit.

Since Jesus spent around 30 years on Earth we should assume that he spends a similar amount of time with each civilisation. That means that the last five billion years, Jesus will only have had time to visit 167,000,000 civilisations – even if he never took a day off (not even Christmas Day) and he is capable of teleportation – thus leaving him 99,999,999,999,833,000,000 more civilisations for him to visit - and that will take him another 2,970,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.

However, our sun only has enough fuel to burn another 4,000,000,000 years after which time it will become a red giant an engulf the Earth destroying all life upon it. [3]

So, by time Jesus has visited all the other civilisations in the universe and it is time for him to visit mankind again, when he gets here he will find that the Earth was vaporised 742,500,000,000 years earlier!

[1] http://www.universetoday.com...
[2] http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov...
[3] http://www.universetoday.com...

even assuming other live in the universe (witch there is nothing wrong with) you are assuming they fell from grace like humans did when Adam sinned. we could be the only planet in the universe that did that. The odds should have been against Adam sinning since in Eden he had everything and the tempter was something dumb as a snake.
Even assuming that there are other planets that sinned and where separated by god, God's is omnipresent, if Jesus (the Word) need be on other planets to save them from there sins he could do that at the same time as doing the same on all other planets at once.
..........And even if you make up some theological reason for why Jesus could not perform the task of being incarnate on all planets with intelligent life at once because for a reason like being incarnate means he had to limit himself from his omnipotence and presence and all-knowing-ness so that the sacrifice would mean anything, you still assume that Gods sacrifice on Earth as a man was not good enough to redeem all life on all planets. http://vox-nova.com... Jesus sacrifice is theologically considered to save all life in creation, even the rabbits, the deer, the elephant, the monkeys... no reason to think alien life is not taken care of with us.

so you made three assumptions besides the obvious one (if aliens exist)
1) you assume aliens fell from grace (how pessimistic)
2) you assume jesus cant multi-task several planets at once (i could sort of understand this one though)
3) you assume his sacrifice here was not good enough for everywhere (which it was good enough).
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
CrappyDebater
Posts: 334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 8:20:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Assumes other intelligent life in Universe, I don't think there is any.

Ever heard of the Drake Equation? There is an extremely high probability of there being life elsewhere in the Universe. It would be extraordinary and surprising to any scientist if we happened to be the only life in the entire infinite Universe.

and

We don't know, of course, but it is very unlikely that out of the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe our sun is the only one that has a planet capable of supporting intelligent life.

Correct we don't know.... But I find it hard to believe there is intelligent life out there due to the fact that it has not contacted us.
If there is intelligent life why has it not contacted us?
The options are.. 1) Its not intelligent enough... 2) Its very very very similar to our intelligence and its too far away from us. 3) Its so intelligent that it cares not to communicate with us.

Now, option 1 shows that maybe we are the most advanced life. In such case for a theistic evolutionist, would other such life require salvation "Jesus" in the first place? Has original sin even occurred?

Option 2 is the most probable in my opinion regarding life elsewhere. But then what are the chances and what is the coincidence that we (on different planets) in the universe are evolved roughly exactly the same considering the vast age of the Universe..... even being the most probable, I find this to be again... near impossible.

Option 3... I think this excuse is just plan stupid. For life to be out there and not want to contact us if it had the opportunity, is an insult to intelligence itself! Because, its not just the initial contact...." Hey we are here!" NO, they would then be able to realistically improve our way of life on earth exponentially, e.g. cure diseases.. educate.. etc etc.. the list goes on and on.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 8:24:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/14/2010 8:20:47 PM, CrappyDebater wrote:
Assumes other intelligent life in Universe, I don't think there is any.

Ever heard of the Drake Equation? There is an extremely high probability of there being life elsewhere in the Universe. It would be extraordinary and surprising to any scientist if we happened to be the only life in the entire infinite Universe.

and

We don't know, of course, but it is very unlikely that out of the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe our sun is the only one that has a planet capable of supporting intelligent life.


Correct we don't know.... But I find it hard to believe there is intelligent life out there due to the fact that it has not contacted us.
If there is intelligent life why has it not contacted us?

Wait, you're a Christian correct? Could you not say the same thing about God? If he exists, why not contact us?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
CrappyDebater
Posts: 334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 8:25:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Wait, you're a Christian correct? Could you not say the same thing about God? If he exists, why not contact us?

Perhaps he has, and you just missed it?

God has made himself rather apparent to me.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 8:29:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/14/2010 8:25:55 PM, CrappyDebater wrote:
Wait, you're a Christian correct? Could you not say the same thing about God? If he exists, why not contact us?

Perhaps he has, and you just missed it?

So use that logic for intelligent life. Maybe they have tried contacting us and we just missed it.... Personally, I find it sort of selfish that humans could actually believe that we are the ONLY intelligent life in existence.

God has made himself rather apparent to me.

:cjl alert:

And how has he done that?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 8:32:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/14/2010 8:20:47 PM, CrappyDebater wrote:
Assumes other intelligent life in Universe, I don't think there is any.

Ever heard of the Drake Equation? There is an extremely high probability of there being life elsewhere in the Universe. It would be extraordinary and surprising to any scientist if we happened to be the only life in the entire infinite Universe.

and

We don't know, of course, but it is very unlikely that out of the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe our sun is the only one that has a planet capable of supporting intelligent life.


Correct we don't know.... But I find it hard to believe there is intelligent life out there due to the fact that it has not contacted us.
If there is intelligent life why has it not contacted us?
The options are.. 1) Its not intelligent enough... 2) Its very very very similar to our intelligence and its too far away from us. 3) Its so intelligent that it cares not to communicate with us.

Now, option 1 shows that maybe we are the most advanced life. In such case for a theistic evolutionist, would other such life require salvation "Jesus" in the first place? Has original sin even occurred?

Option 2 is the most probable in my opinion regarding life elsewhere. But then what are the chances and what is the coincidence that we (on different planets) in the universe are evolved roughly exactly the same considering the vast age of the Universe..... even being the most probable, I find this to be again... near impossible.

Option 3... I think this excuse is just plan stupid. For life to be out there and not want to contact us if it had the opportunity, is an insult to intelligence itself! Because, its not just the initial contact...." Hey we are here!" NO, they would then be able to realistically improve our way of life on earth exponentially, e.g. cure diseases.. educate.. etc etc.. the list goes on and on.

first off, option one does not suggest that we are the most intelligent beings in the universe. at most, it suggests that we are the most advanced beings within about 50-100 light years, which is how long we have had radio capabilities. if a civilization as close as 200 light years away developed their technology at the same time as we did, their signal still wouldn't have reached us and vice versa. if you think about it, we actually know a minuscule portion of the universe at this point... and given that it takes several billion years for the heavier elements necessary for complexity to be synthesized in stars its not THAT surprising that we haven't heard from any ancient civilizations.

as for option two... i agree if theres life its most likely very far from us, but its not necessarily at our level of intelligence.

option three... not really in support of it myself, HOWEVER, if you had a choice, would you rather explore the universe or try to teach quantum physics to a three year old? can you now see why a race with intelligence vastly exceeding ours might want to avoid us?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
CrappyDebater
Posts: 334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 8:39:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
And how has he done that?

Knew this question was coming! As usual...

Nevertheless, I will answer it in a different way this time to amuse the emo girl.

I don't think God has too.

Now that I have answered that... You can acknowledge my 3 options for intelligent life on other planets in relation to Jesus' need to be there.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 8:42:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/14/2010 8:39:11 PM, CrappyDebater wrote:
And how has he done that?

Knew this question was coming! As usual...

Well, it is an odd statement, to be honest.

Nevertheless, I will answer it in a different way this time to amuse the emo girl.

And you're resorting to insults.... why? I just asked a question....

I don't think God has too.

Now that I have answered that... You can acknowledge my 3 options for intelligent life on other planets in relation to Jesus' need to be there.

You evaded the question.... Now, how has God made himself evident to you?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
CrappyDebater
Posts: 334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 8:45:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
first off, option one does not suggest that we are the most intelligent beings in the universe.
Yes it does. If we are not, option 2 comes into play.

at most, it suggests that we are the most advanced beings within about 50-100 light years, which is how long we have had radio capabilities. if a civilization as close as 200 light years away developed their technology at the same time as we did, their signal still wouldn't have reached us and vice versa.
Apparently you didn't read option 2, because what you just typed here is my option 2

option three... not really in support of it myself, HOWEVER, if you had a choice, would you rather explore the universe or try to teach quantum physics to a three year old? can you now see why a race with intelligence vastly exceeding ours might want to avoid us?
Here is why you are wrong.... For your analogy here... you would not teach Quantum physics to a 3 year old... you would teach basic math to a 3 year old and lead up to physics as they mature. So no. Basically they would teach us the next step we ave yet to uncover, and build upon it.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 8:51:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/14/2010 8:45:37 PM, CrappyDebater wrote:
first off, option one does not suggest that we are the most intelligent beings in the universe.
Yes it does. If we are not, option 2 comes into play.

no it doesn't, because the universe is much larger than the small sphere from which we should have received signals by now. options one and two are really two parts of the same option then. from one we get "not here" from two we get "maybe somewhere else"

Here is why you are wrong.... For your analogy here... you would not teach Quantum physics to a 3 year old... you would teach basic math to a 3 year old and lead up to physics as they mature. So no. Basically they would teach us the next step we ave yet to uncover, and build upon it.

not necessarily. if they are that much smarter, they may well be able to grasp things on a level that we are literally incapable of understanding. theres no way of really knowing. furthermore, even teaching basic math to a child is a lot less rewarding than exploring the entire universe, don't you think?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 8:52:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm guessing that if this was a real issue (he couldn't visit different worlds concurrently) God would just create the universe in such a way that there would only be a limited number of worlds containing intelligent life.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 8:53:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'd sig that whole thing if I could.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
CrappyDebater
Posts: 334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 8:56:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
And you're resorting to insults.... why? I just asked a question....

Had I been Atheist, your question becomes void. Now.. Who attacked who first?

You evaded the question.... Now, how has God made himself evident to you?
See? Told ya! It's irrelevant to my arguments.

Would you like a hat for your strawman?
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 8:57:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/14/2010 4:20:02 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Realistically speaking, Jesus is never going to come back to Earth – and here's why:

It is estimated that there are around 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe. [1]

We also know that the universe is around 13,700,000,000 years old and it took several billion years for it to condense into the globular clusters required to form stars and planets capable of supporting life. [2]

From our own experience we further know that it took several billion years for mankind to evolve from amino acids, so we can safely assume that no intelligent life existed in the universe more than around 5,000,000,000 years ago.

Now, if we take a very conservative estimate and assume that only 1 in 1,000 harbours intelligent life that leaves 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 extraterrestrial civilisations for Jesus to visit.

Since Jesus spent around 30 years on Earth we should assume that he spends a similar amount of time with each civilisation. That means that the last five billion years, Jesus will only have had time to visit 167,000,000 civilisations – even if he never took a day off (not even Christmas Day) and he is capable of teleportation – thus leaving him 99,999,999,999,833,000,000 more civilisations for him to visit - and that will take him another 2,970,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.

However, our sun only has enough fuel to burn another 4,000,000,000 years after which time it will become a red giant an engulf the Earth destroying all life upon it. [3]

So, by time Jesus has visited all the other civilisations in the universe and it is time for him to visit mankind again, when he gets here he will find that the Earth was vaporised 742,500,000,000 years earlier!

[1] http://www.universetoday.com...
[2] http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov...
[3] http://www.universetoday.com...

http://www.debate.org...
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 9:00:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/14/2010 8:56:43 PM, CrappyDebater wrote:
And you're resorting to insults.... why? I just asked a question....

Had I been Atheist, your question becomes void. Now.. Who attacked who first?

Whoa, there. You said God has shown himself to you. Now, me asking "how" is not an attack. Just because you don't have a legitimate answer for your claim, does not mean I "attacked" you. Remember, if you post it - anyone can debate it.

You evaded the question.... Now, how has God made himself evident to you?
See? Told ya! It's irrelevant to my arguments.

You're the one that brought it up! And if I ask, you can either, a) back up your claim or b) confess that God never "showed himself to you".

Would you like a hat for your strawman?

I'm more concerned with your pitiful attempt to redirect my questioning away from your blatant lies.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
CrappyDebater
Posts: 334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 9:01:13 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
not necessarily. if they are that much smarter, they may well be able to grasp things on a level that we are literally incapable of understanding. theres no way of really knowing. furthermore, even teaching basic math to a child is a lot less rewarding than exploring the entire universe, don't you think?

Absolutely not, It would depend on the rate at which the 3 year old (us) could begin to grasp the knowledge and how fast we could continue to build upon it.
Couldn't something so intelligent not teach us and explore the universe concurrently?
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 9:06:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
No one can debate George Strait

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com...;</param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q06AvQF5NOw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
CrappyDebater
Posts: 334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 9:07:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Now you just have me rolling with laughter Ann.
Your attack was not asking "How?" Your attack was your first post regarding my Religion. How does my religion have ANYTHING to do with my original post? It does not. End of discussion. This also renders your other replies bankrupt.

If you would like to discuss my religion in another forum, by all means... Ill answer your sad, wrist cutting queries.

Until then! lets keep on track shall we!
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 9:08:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/14/2010 9:06:17 PM, jharry wrote:
No one can debate George Strait

what the....................

<iframe class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="385" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q06AvQF5NOw" frameborder="0"></iframe>
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 9:09:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/14/2010 9:08:28 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/14/2010 9:06:17 PM, jharry wrote:
No one can debate George Strait

what the....................

<iframe class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="385" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q06AvQF5NOw" frameborder="0"></iframe>

How do you embed videos? It use to work.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen