Jump to topic:

Futures of Atheism

Sophisto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2015 9:37:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
1. A deity is proven and so atheists are forced to hide from those who would force conversion onto them. An atheist sect fights back with desperate violence only to worsen the scenario for the rest. Atheism dies out as religions concentrate on surviving against each other.

2. Atheism and theism settle on a stalemate and agree to disagree as they use their advantages to compensate for each other's weaknesses and build a better tomorrow to rid of the extremists.

3. Atheism has its way, deeming all religious folk mentally ill and construct mental camps to house the billions of crazy believers. Outnumbered, the atheists have difficulty dealing with the population of suicidally depressed humanity.

Which is more likely to take place? If you cannot think this far, you have no logical authority predicting who is going to win the God debate. Feel free to modify these scenarios.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2015 9:42:11 PM
At 9/27/2015 9:37:15 PM, Sophisto wrote:
1. A deity is proven and so atheists are forced to hide from those who would force conversion onto them. An atheist sect fights back with desperate violence only to worsen the scenario for the rest. Atheism dies out as religions concentrate on surviving against each other.

2. Atheism and theism settle on a stalemate and agree to disagree as they use their advantages to compensate for each other's weaknesses and build a better tomorrow to rid of the extremists.

3. Atheism has its way, deeming all religious folk mentally ill and construct mental camps to house the billions of crazy believers. Outnumbered, the atheists have difficulty dealing with the population of suicidally depressed humanity.

Which is more likely to take place? If you cannot think this far, you have no logical authority predicting who is going to win the God debate. Feel free to modify these scenarios.

Given the tendency, atheism will rule out religion in the so called "developed world", which will, as a consequence, turn even more developed.
Hitchian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2015 9:46:09 PM

3. Atheism has its way, deeming all religious folk mentally ill and construct mental camps to house the billions of crazy believers.

If you want to be taken seriously, you should write seriously. Here you just lied through your teeth. I know of no atheist advocating what you describe. This is a misrepresentation. It's a bold face lie. It is slander.

I guess you did not intend to be taken seriously, maybe because you weren't serious to begin with.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2015 9:49:15 PM

You don't seem to understand what an atheist is. We base our beliefs based on evidence. If there truly was definitive proof atheists wouldn't deny it because it would meet the BoP we've always been demanding. You also seem to forget that even if (your) God was provenreal, atheists wouldn't be the only people who risk going into denial, you have to consider all the other religions that were proven 'wrong' that unlike athiests only believe because of faith, not evidence.

Secularism would be the ideal form of co-existence, but theists tend to mistake not being able to impose their religion on others as a form of persecution (see: Kim Davis).

You really don't understand atheism or it goals.

Number 2 obviously; the West has already embraced secular government for the most part. But it's not a stalemate, religion has no legitimate claim to law and therefore must be subject to it to a degree, secular reasoning must triumph so long as it doesn't violate the First Amendment.
Sophisto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2015 9:59:37 PM
As disingenuous as I seem, the more disconcerting reality is that I am being earnest. You do not have the imagination to predict the worst-case scenarios, being comfy in your bubble of denial.

Now, I am holding back certain catalysts that would justify the consequences I described. Seeing how I predicted your tendency to nitpick what I wrote, leave the self-fulfilling prophecies to me, amateurs.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2015 10:06:38 PM
1. A deity is proven
One might be able to prove intelligent metaphysical agency, but what makes it a deity, rather than an alien, spirit, demon, fairy -- or some other metaphysical conjecture not commonly worshiped?

If you cannot prescribe the difference, then how can a deity ever be 'proven'? Isn't it true instead that 'godhood' is a social construct -- a metaphysical conjecture whose worship and reverence are made compulsory?

That being so, how is a claim of divinitya claim to truth, rather than tyranny?

What material benefits does religion offer which are not also offered by compassionate secularism?

Please show us a commonly-accepted atheist doctrine which prescribes compulsory psychiatric treatment as a humane and effective response for religious belief.

I think this is a poorly-researched strawman argument, Sophisto.