Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Crisis in Infinite Religions.

SM2
Posts: 546
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2015 10:39:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Comic book companies are known for spawning lots of different fictional universes, realising they're confusing, and then having a huge crossover in which the multiverse is destroyed and rebooted to clean up continuity errors. These usually involve a multiverse-wide crisis, hence the term "crisis crossover".

What if we did the same with religion?

Every religion has its own idea of God. What if all those Gods came together and fought it out? Imagine a scriptural crisis crossover that resolves all the contradictory teachings, and hammers out a new theology that is both internally consistent and plausible? Metaphysics meets Metafiction.

Thoughts?
uncung
Posts: 3,453
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 1:36:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/28/2015 10:39:01 PM, SM2 wrote:
Comic book companies are known for spawning lots of different fictional universes, realising they're confusing, and then having a huge crossover in which the multiverse is destroyed and rebooted to clean up continuity errors. These usually involve a multiverse-wide crisis, hence the term "crisis crossover".

What if we did the same with religion?

Every religion has its own idea of God. What if all those Gods came together and fought it out? Imagine a scriptural crisis crossover that resolves all the contradictory teachings, and hammers out a new theology that is both internally consistent and plausible? Metaphysics meets Metafiction.

Thoughts?

"And verily! This your religion (of Islamic Monotheism) is one religion, and I am your Lord, so keep your duty to Me. But they (men) have broken their religion among them into sects, each group rejoicing in its belief. So leave them in their error for a time."
(surah Al Mu'minun)

the religious people may think theirs are the true one. However they have to back their faith with logic and evidence. Otherwise they simply believe in the nonsense fictional comic religion.
joetheripper117
Posts: 284
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 3:21:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/28/2015 10:39:01 PM, SM2 wrote:
Comic book companies are known for spawning lots of different fictional universes, realising they're confusing, and then having a huge crossover in which the multiverse is destroyed and rebooted to clean up continuity errors. These usually involve a multiverse-wide crisis, hence the term "crisis crossover".

What if we did the same with religion?

Every religion has its own idea of God. What if all those Gods came together and fought it out? Imagine a scriptural crisis crossover that resolves all the contradictory teachings, and hammers out a new theology that is both internally consistent and plausible? Metaphysics meets Metafiction.

Thoughts?

I think that that would be an awesome comic to read, but I wonder what common threat they would only be able to take down by working together.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
Outplayz
Posts: 1,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 6:35:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/28/2015 10:39:01 PM, SM2 wrote:
Comic book companies are known for spawning lots of different fictional universes, realising they're confusing, and then having a huge crossover in which the multiverse is destroyed and rebooted to clean up continuity errors. These usually involve a multiverse-wide crisis, hence the term "crisis crossover".

What if we did the same with religion?

Every religion has its own idea of God. What if all those Gods came together and fought it out? Imagine a scriptural crisis crossover that resolves all the contradictory teachings, and hammers out a new theology that is both internally consistent and plausible? Metaphysics meets Metafiction.

Thoughts?

I never understood how "gods" can fight... i mean, they are immortal right? I guess all you would really have is psychological warfare. Oh... just a thought. What if we are all gods consciousness playing itself out and that was the creative finishing move of another god that our god didn't see coming? Think about: The trapping a god in it's own mind until it's space ends trick; it's plausible. How pissed would you be tho...
SM2
Posts: 546
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 6:36:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/29/2015 3:21:14 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:

I think that that would be an awesome comic to read, but I wonder what common threat they would only be able to take down by working together.

By splitting the one true faith into many, God has lost control of the world, and the demons that torment mankind have instigated a coup. Alone and powerless, God must turn to the one person who can reign the demons in: Satan. Satan agrees to help, on the condition that he be restored to his former place in Heaven, but can he really be trusted? And can God, having been split into many different versions, reconcile the now-contradictory pieces of himself... before it's too late?
onespaniard
Posts: 33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 6:41:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/28/2015 10:39:01 PM, SM2 wrote:
Comic book companies are known for spawning lots of different fictional universes, realising they're confusing, and then having a huge crossover in which the multiverse is destroyed and rebooted to clean up continuity errors. These usually involve a multiverse-wide crisis, hence the term "crisis crossover".

What if we did the same with religion?

Every religion has its own idea of God. What if all those Gods came together and fought it out? Imagine a scriptural crisis crossover that resolves all the contradictory teachings, and hammers out a new theology that is both internally consistent and plausible? Metaphysics meets Metafiction.

Thoughts? : :

It's easier for a religious group to kill their enemies instead of coming to an agreement about a new theology. That would require giving up 2,000 year old thoughts.
SM2
Posts: 546
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 6:42:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/29/2015 6:35:29 AM, Outplayz wrote:

I never understood how "gods" can fight... i mean, they are immortal right?

Compared to whom? Ants would consider us immortal.

I guess all you would really have is psychological warfare.

Or spiritual warfare. Gods are arguably sentient concepts more than anything.

Oh... just a thought. What if we are all gods consciousness playing itself out and that was the creative finishing move of another god that our god didn't see coming? Think about: The trapping a god in it's own mind until it's space ends trick; it's plausible. How pissed would you be tho...

I don't understand what you mean.
SM2
Posts: 546
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 6:45:34 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/29/2015 6:41:14 AM, onespaniard wrote:

It's easier for a religious group to kill their enemies instead of coming to an agreement about a new theology. That would require giving up 2,000 year old thoughts.

ISIS aren't my target audience anyway.
onespaniard
Posts: 33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 6:48:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/29/2015 6:45:34 AM, SM2 wrote:
At 9/29/2015 6:41:14 AM, onespaniard wrote:

It's easier for a religious group to kill their enemies instead of coming to an agreement about a new theology. That would require giving up 2,000 year old thoughts.

ISIS aren't my target audience anyway. : :

I was talking about all the religions of this world starting with the first false god that was ever built by human hands.
Outplayz
Posts: 1,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 6:48:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/29/2015 6:42:46 AM, SM2 wrote:
At 9/29/2015 6:35:29 AM, Outplayz wrote:

I never understood how "gods" can fight... i mean, they are immortal right?

Compared to whom? Ants would consider us immortal.

No... ants would consider us as superior even if they could consider... immortal means forever... never dying, and we die.

I guess all you would really have is psychological warfare.

Or spiritual warfare. Gods are arguably sentient concepts more than anything.

Yeah... but the definition i am going with is one whom cannot die. Immortal.

Oh... just a thought. What if we are all gods consciousness playing itself out and that was the creative finishing move of another god that our god didn't see coming? Think about: The trapping a god in it's own mind until it's space ends trick; it's plausible. How pissed would you be tho...

I don't understand what you mean.

It's pretty straight forward... I am just joking around and being creative... maybe you don't have a creative mind... ha! i would totally win against you on the spiritual stage. I knew i am a powerful god.
SM2
Posts: 546
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 6:58:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/29/2015 6:48:53 AM, Outplayz wrote:

No... ants would consider us as superior even if they could consider... immortal means forever... never dying, and we die.

Yeah... but the definition i am going with is one whom cannot die. Immortal.

I'm not going to debate the semantics of immortality. However, if you want more info, read this:

http://powerlisting.wikia.com...

It's pretty straight forward... I am just joking around and being creative... maybe you don't have a creative mind... ha! i would totally win against you on the spiritual stage. I knew i am a powerful god.

I didn't understand your train of thought, is all.
Outplayz
Posts: 1,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 6:29:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/29/2015 6:58:10 AM, SM2 wrote:
At 9/29/2015 6:48:53 AM, Outplayz wrote:

No... ants would consider us as superior even if they could consider... immortal means forever... never dying, and we die.

Yeah... but the definition i am going with is one whom cannot die. Immortal.

I'm not going to debate the semantics of immortality. However, if you want more info, read this:

http://powerlisting.wikia.com...

That's a cool list.

It's pretty straight forward... I am just joking around and being creative... maybe you don't have a creative mind... ha! i would totally win against you on the spiritual stage. I knew i am a powerful god.

I didn't understand your train of thought, is all.

You wouldn't if you have so many definitions lol. I am referring to a god (god) something that is not bound by a physical body... so it's just consciousness. But easier example would be if i trapped you in your own mind. The world would be just a reply of the personalities made up by your own mind. So god got trapped the same way is where i am coming from. As in, earth (or us) are just characters from gods brain trapped as mortals until the universe ends and it goes back to being god.
joetheripper117
Posts: 284
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 8:51:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/29/2015 6:36:48 AM, SM2 wrote:
At 9/29/2015 3:21:14 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:

I think that that would be an awesome comic to read, but I wonder what common threat they would only be able to take down by working together.

By splitting the one true faith into many, God has lost control of the world, and the demons that torment mankind have instigated a coup. Alone and powerless, God must turn to the one person who can reign the demons in: Satan. Satan agrees to help, on the condition that he be restored to his former place in Heaven, but can he really be trusted? And can God, having been split into many different versions, reconcile the now-contradictory pieces of himself... before it's too late?

I'd watch it.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
SM2
Posts: 546
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 7:01:39 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/29/2015 6:29:34 PM, Outplayz wrote:

You wouldn't if you have so many definitions lol. I am referring to a god (god) something that is not bound by a physical body... so it's just consciousness. But easier example would be if i trapped you in your own mind. The world would be just a reply of the personalities made up by your own mind. So god got trapped the same way is where i am coming from. As in, earth (or us) are just characters from gods brain trapped as mortals until the universe ends and it goes back to being god.

Oh, I see now. That idea does sound cool, though I think it deserves its own story.