Total Posts:57|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Life Is Its Own Purpose

GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 1:05:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
"Life is its own purpose; it is not a means to some end, it is an end unto itself. The bird on the wing, the rose in the wind, the sun rising in the morning, the stars in the night, a man falling in love with a woman, a child playing on the street... there is no purpose. Life simply enjoying itself, delighting in itself. Energy overflowing, dancing, for no purpose at all." --OSHO

This is what the religious don't seem to understand. They don't want to enjoy this life, they want to suffer in this life to be rewarded in the next, but there won't be a next life.

According to the Buddha:

"...if it abstractly promises a reward in the afterlife, it is probably an irresponsible trick to delude the ignorant."

They also seem to frown upon pleasure in this life, but praise the idea of pleasure in the afterlife. That's a double standard.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 1:14:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 1:05:15 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
This is what the religious don't seem to understand. They don't want to enjoy this life, they want to suffer in this life to be rewarded in the next, but there won't be a next life.
Suffer? According to myself, I am much more well-off in this world than you because I believe in a promise from God. Therefore you can never use that argument against a theist, or a theist like me who believes in the Hereafter.

I agree that theists suffer in this world, too, but not in the way that does not mean that they cannot enjoy life here or do not want to. I want both.

According to the Buddha:

"...if it abstractly promises a reward in the afterlife, it is probably an irresponsible trick to delude the ignorant."

They also seem to frown upon pleasure in this life, but praise the idea of pleasure in the afterlife. That's a double standard.
Who said this? You presume that we want to suffer, while that is not correct. If anything, I would suffer without believing in the Hereafter (or God in the first place).
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 2:54:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 1:05:15 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
"Life is its own purpose; it is not a means to some end, it is an end unto itself. The bird on the wing, the rose in the wind, the sun rising in the morning, the stars in the night, a man falling in love with a woman, a child playing on the street... there is no purpose. Life simply enjoying itself, delighting in itself. Energy overflowing, dancing, for no purpose at all." --OSHO


This is what the religious don't seem to understand. They don't want to enjoy this life, they want to suffer in this life to be rewarded in the next, but there won't be a next life.

According to the Buddha:

"...if it abstractly promises a reward in the afterlife, it is probably an irresponsible trick to delude the ignorant."

They also seem to frown upon pleasure in this life, but praise the idea of pleasure in the afterlife. That's a double standard.

What a bunch of crap. How many religious do you actually know that think that want to suffer in this life? Self flagellists haven't been around for a long long time as best i know. Your little dalliance in philosophy sounds like a cross between Unitarianism and hedonism. Most religious people believe that life is a sacred gift, and the joy of living comes through faith. I'm kind of disappointed in you that you would say something like that.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 3:18:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 3:05:43 PM, badger wrote:
you're not a drunk or something by any chance, innomen? lol

Of course not. Oh that i were.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 3:22:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 3:05:43 PM, badger wrote:
you're not a drunk or something by any chance, innomen? lol

Now that i read what i wrote, it does seem a little out of character doesn't it. Eh, i have my moments.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 3:29:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 3:22:32 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2010 3:05:43 PM, badger wrote:
you're not a drunk or something by any chance, innomen? lol

Now that i read what i wrote, it does seem a little out of character doesn't it. Eh, i have my moments.

along with a few of your posts in the mafia game :) but i myself am fairly demented at the moment so.. lol
signature
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 3:32:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 3:29:38 PM, badger wrote:
At 9/16/2010 3:22:32 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2010 3:05:43 PM, badger wrote:
you're not a drunk or something by any chance, innomen? lol

Now that i read what i wrote, it does seem a little out of character doesn't it. Eh, i have my moments.

along with a few of your posts in the mafia game :) but i myself am fairly demented at the moment so.. lol

Really? Get out of here. You? Weed not booze right?
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 3:48:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 3:32:23 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2010 3:29:38 PM, badger wrote:
At 9/16/2010 3:22:32 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2010 3:05:43 PM, badger wrote:
you're not a drunk or something by any chance, innomen? lol

Now that i read what i wrote, it does seem a little out of character doesn't it. Eh, i have my moments.

along with a few of your posts in the mafia game :) but i myself am fairly demented at the moment so.. lol

Really? Get out of here. You? Weed not booze right?

fairly lucid for someone off his chops ain't i :) dunno is that a good or a bad thing. neither.

you could just be saying that though knowing you ;)
signature
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 4:04:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I don't know why SOME theists claim to enjoy their lives more because they believe in a God... I am thoroughly enjoying all of the time I have. And being an atheist has helped that joy grow.

I like that I'm the ultimate authority in my life. Not the government and not a God. Yes, there will be laws and morals that I will abide by... but I get to choose whatever path I want to follow. I can dabble in all philosophies and experience the different ideologies.

I like that I can go through my life, learning about all sorts of ethical issues that people claim to have, and be able to choose who I align myself with. I'm not predetermined by a text in what is "good" or "bad". I feel that I have more objectivity in that regard....

I like experiencing different parts of the world with the knowledge of evolution and Natural Selection. It gives me a sense of wonder to view the different species of animal and the different attributes of humans... To see how our body adapted to different surroundings.

I like that this is the only time I will live. It gives me a feeling of determination to have the best life now. It makes me want to help others before I go away. It makes me strive harder for the rights of others while enforcing my own rights. I want to make the biggest difference I can now.

But most of all, I like that there was no creator. I like that there's no inherent meaning. Why? Because it feels like a clean slate. I can build my life to be what I want it to be. I don't want to be following a set of predetermined events... I want that feeling of freedom that atheism brings me.

But, I also like theists. I like the counter arguments they bring, that make me ponder my own. I like the strength that they can show in the toughest of situations. And there are many theists in my life, that have affected me in many ways. My cousin who made me stronger. My mom who said, "Give til it hurts, honey. Never stop giving to others." My grandfather who showed me from a very early age, a sense of loyalty to friends and family.

I know that atheists are also strong. They can look at any situation with this clarity that amazes me. They offer arguments that further my understanding in complicated areas. And they, without a doubt, help me get through the day to day crap. How could your life have no purpose when you have friends like that?

I don't know if my life is less enjoyable than a theist's. I don't know if I'm having more fun than other atheists. But what makes it the most fun, is when I can sit down at my computer and see theists getting along with atheists. When threads aren't about demolishing differences, but really about exploring them. Now, that is something awesome. A God didn't make me happy, and if it makes you happy... why should I take that happiness away? Bottom line is... both theist and atheists should be happy. Or at least try to be. Why waste time with sadness?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 4:11:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 1:05:15 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
"Life is its own purpose; it is not a means to some end, it is an end unto itself. The bird on the wing, the rose in the wind, the sun rising in the morning, the stars in the night, a man falling in love with a woman, a child playing on the street... there is no purpose. Life simply enjoying itself, delighting in itself. Energy overflowing, dancing, for no purpose at all." --OSHO


This is what the religious don't seem to understand. They don't want to enjoy this life, they want to suffer in this life to be rewarded in the next, but there won't be a next life.

That is one of the most retarded statements I've ever heard. I don't want to suffer in this life. Some may but I doubt they are religious. That got me thinking about something. I may not do everything I think I would like to do because I believe in an afterlife but, I do more things that I think I should because I believe in an afterlife. I don't do these things because I fear what afterlife I have but I believe in an afterlife because I believe in God. And because I believe in God Id things that I believe line up with his Ways.


According to the Buddha:

"...if it abstractly promises a reward in the afterlife, it is probably an irresponsible trick to delude the ignorant."

They also seem to frown upon pleasure in this life, but praise the idea of pleasure in the afterlife. That's a double standard.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 4:13:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 4:04:30 PM, annhasle wrote:
I don't know why SOME theists claim to enjoy their lives more because they believe in a God... I am thoroughly enjoying all of the time I have. And being an atheist has helped that joy grow.

Because people of faith are happier.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 4:18:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 4:13:58 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:04:30 PM, annhasle wrote:
I don't know why SOME theists claim to enjoy their lives more because they believe in a God... I am thoroughly enjoying all of the time I have. And being an atheist has helped that joy grow.

Because people of faith are happier.

Yes, I'm ten times happier now then at anytime that I was "free".
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 4:20:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 4:13:58 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:04:30 PM, annhasle wrote:
I don't know why SOME theists claim to enjoy their lives more because they believe in a God... I am thoroughly enjoying all of the time I have. And being an atheist has helped that joy grow.

Because people of faith are happier.

So the 350 million Buddhists in the world are unhappy or less happier than those with faith?

What about all the free thinkers and great philosophers of our past. Many of them seemed to be rather happy.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 4:21:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 4:20:17 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:13:58 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:04:30 PM, annhasle wrote:
I don't know why SOME theists claim to enjoy their lives more because they believe in a God... I am thoroughly enjoying all of the time I have. And being an atheist has helped that joy grow.

Because people of faith are happier.

So the 350 million Buddhists in the world are unhappy or less happier than those with faith?

What about all the free thinkers and great philosophers of our past. Many of them seemed to be rather happy.

I don't think he said they weren't happy. Just that people of faith are happier. Oh,that is exactly what he said.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 4:24:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 4:20:17 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:13:58 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:04:30 PM, annhasle wrote:
I don't know why SOME theists claim to enjoy their lives more because they believe in a God... I am thoroughly enjoying all of the time I have. And being an atheist has helped that joy grow.

Because people of faith are happier.

So the 350 million Buddhists in the world are unhappy or less happier than those with faith?

What about all the free thinkers and great philosophers of our past. Many of them seemed to be rather happy.

REally? Which one? They didn't seem particularly "happy" to me. Geo there are many studies to back up the happiness of those who have faith versus those who do not.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 4:25:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 4:13:58 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:04:30 PM, annhasle wrote:
I don't know why SOME theists claim to enjoy their lives more because they believe in a God... I am thoroughly enjoying all of the time I have. And being an atheist has helped that joy grow.

Because people of faith are happier.

dunno about that. i'm quite enjoying my life. though i'll admit that i'm not altogether too happy about having being conned into believing god was real. i do miss the feeling of having someone watching over me and the thought that i would live on eternally... but what if i'd never thought these things in the first place? you can't miss what you never had.
signature
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 4:26:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 2:54:35 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2010 1:05:15 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
This is what the religious don't seem to understand. They don't want to enjoy this life, they want to suffer in this life to be rewarded in the next, but there won't be a next life.
What a bunch of crap. How many religious do you actually know that think that want to suffer in this life?

By suffer, I mean follow a bunch of restrictive rules that inhibit their ability to enjoy this life. Even if they're people like you who believe in a personal God, but don't follow the religious dogmas, you still feel a need to restrict yourself because of your belief in a personal divine creator.

Self flagellists haven't been around for a long long time as best i know. Your little dalliance in philosophy sounds like a cross between Unitarianism and hedonism. Most religious people believe that life is a sacred gift, and the joy of living comes through faith. I'm kind of disappointed in you that you would say something like that.

Then why do many religious people say that this world is fallen, the world is evil, "don't follow the ways of the world," etc.

"the whole world is under the control of the evil one." (1 John 5:19)

The religious are taught to degrade this world in favor of the unseen sacred things, sacred realms, and holy beings.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 4:28:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 4:21:48 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:20:17 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:13:58 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:04:30 PM, annhasle wrote:
I don't know why SOME theists claim to enjoy their lives more because they believe in a God... I am thoroughly enjoying all of the time I have. And being an atheist has helped that joy grow.

Because people of faith are happier.

So the 350 million Buddhists in the world are unhappy or less happier than those with faith?

What about all the free thinkers and great philosophers of our past. Many of them seemed to be rather happy.

I don't think he said they weren't happy. Just that people of faith are happier. Oh,that is exactly what he said.

Learn2read please. I said "or less happier than those with faith?"
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 4:30:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 4:24:04 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:20:17 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:13:58 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:04:30 PM, annhasle wrote:
I don't know why SOME theists claim to enjoy their lives more because they believe in a God... I am thoroughly enjoying all of the time I have. And being an atheist has helped that joy grow.

Because people of faith are happier.

So the 350 million Buddhists in the world are unhappy or less happier than those with faith?

What about all the free thinkers and great philosophers of our past. Many of them seemed to be rather happy.

REally? Which one? They didn't seem particularly "happy" to me. Geo there are many studies to back up the happiness of those who have faith versus those who do not.

i'd like to see one of those many studies :)
signature
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 4:30:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 4:25:38 PM, badger wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:13:58 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:04:30 PM, annhasle wrote:
I don't know why SOME theists claim to enjoy their lives more because they believe in a God... I am thoroughly enjoying all of the time I have. And being an atheist has helped that joy grow.

Because people of faith are happier.

dunno about that. i'm quite enjoying my life. though i'll admit that i'm not altogether too happy about having being conned into believing god was real. i do miss the feeling of having someone watching over me and the thought that i would live on eternally... but what if i'd never thought these things in the first place? you can't miss what you never had.

Sean, do you think that someone who is grateful for what they have been given in life, and grateful for their life is more happy than the person who only sees what they don't have? Do you think that the person who helps others is more happy than the one who only helps himself? Almost without exception, those who live by spiritual principles are more happy than those who don't.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 4:30:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 4:26:11 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 9/16/2010 2:54:35 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2010 1:05:15 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
This is what the religious don't seem to understand. They don't want to enjoy this life, they want to suffer in this life to be rewarded in the next, but there won't be a next life.
What a bunch of crap. How many religious do you actually know that think that want to suffer in this life?

By suffer, I mean follow a bunch of restrictive rules that inhibit their ability to enjoy this life. Even if they're people like you who believe in a personal God, but don't follow the religious dogmas, you still feel a need to restrict yourself because of your belief in a personal divine creator.
Are you still waving that flag? Prove to me that my life could be happier if I was atheist. You can't because your wrong.

Self flagellists haven't been around for a long long time as best i know. Your little dalliance in philosophy sounds like a cross between Unitarianism and hedonism. Most religious people believe that life is a sacred gift, and the joy of living comes through faith. I'm kind of disappointed in you that you would say something like that.

Then why do many religious people say that this world is fallen, the world is evil, "don't follow the ways of the world," etc.

"the whole world is under the control of the evil one." (1 John 5:19)

The religious are taught to degrade this world in favor of the unseen sacred things, sacred realms, and holy beings.

Sorry, it doesn't take religion for me to see that.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 4:32:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 4:30:43 PM, badger wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:24:04 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:20:17 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:13:58 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:04:30 PM, annhasle wrote:
I don't know why SOME theists claim to enjoy their lives more because they believe in a God... I am thoroughly enjoying all of the time I have. And being an atheist has helped that joy grow.

Because people of faith are happier.

So the 350 million Buddhists in the world are unhappy or less happier than those with faith?

What about all the free thinkers and great philosophers of our past. Many of them seemed to be rather happy.

REally? Which one? They didn't seem particularly "happy" to me. Geo there are many studies to back up the happiness of those who have faith versus those who do not.

i'd like to see one of those many studies :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk... That took me about 3 seconds.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 4:36:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 4:24:04 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:20:17 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
So the 350 million Buddhists in the world are unhappy or less happier than those with faith?

What about all the free thinkers and great philosophers of our past. Many of them seemed to be rather happy.

REally? Which one? They didn't seem particularly "happy" to me.

Have you ever seen the Dalai Lama? He looks like the happiest man alive.

Geo there are many studies to back up the happiness of those who have faith versus those who do not.

Were Buddhists included in this? I'm pretty sure that happy Buddhists outnumbers happy Theists, ratio wise.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 4:46:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 4:30:43 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:25:38 PM, badger wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:13:58 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:04:30 PM, annhasle wrote:
I don't know why SOME theists claim to enjoy their lives more because they believe in a God... I am thoroughly enjoying all of the time I have. And being an atheist has helped that joy grow.

Because people of faith are happier.

dunno about that. i'm quite enjoying my life. though i'll admit that i'm not altogether too happy about having being conned into believing god was real. i do miss the feeling of having someone watching over me and the thought that i would live on eternally... but what if i'd never thought these things in the first place? you can't miss what you never had.

Sean, do you think that someone who is grateful for what they have been given in life, and grateful for their life is more happy than the person who only sees what they don't have? Do you think that the person who helps others is more happy than the one who only helps himself? Almost without exception, those who live by spiritual principles are more happy than those who don't.

dennis, what does any of that have to do with god? that's just different personalities. and if i recall correctly you're the one who had the regrets.. 10 years of regrets even.. though that was probably something to do with god, right? i've zero regrets. nada.. well, maybe, believing that god was real in the first place... but that brought me here :) so even that i can't even really regret. and tbh i'm even over it at this stage. i can't even rememeber how i thought while i did have faith. god is overrated.

and what sort of an argument is "god is good cos i'm happier than you" really? a bad one.
signature
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 5:20:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 4:30:43 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:25:38 PM, badger wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:13:58 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2010 4:04:30 PM, annhasle wrote:
I don't know why SOME theists claim to enjoy their lives more because they believe in a God... I am thoroughly enjoying all of the time I have. And being an atheist has helped that joy grow.

Because people of faith are happier.

dunno about that. i'm quite enjoying my life. though i'll admit that i'm not altogether too happy about having being conned into believing god was real. i do miss the feeling of having someone watching over me and the thought that i would live on eternally... but what if i'd never thought these things in the first place? you can't miss what you never had.

Sean, do you think that someone who is grateful for what they have been given in life, and grateful for their life is more happy than the person who only sees what they don't have? Do you think that the person who helps others is more happy than the one who only helps himself? Almost without exception, those who live by spiritual principles are more happy than those who don't.

Did you read the rest of my post? I gave quite clear reasons on why I'm happier without faith. Also, you have no idea how "happy" anyone else is. YOU ARE NOT THEM. How can you say that you, as a theist, must be happier? That's absolutely unfounded and I'm confused as to why you actually think it's a valid statement. You think that an atheist is missing out on... what? I don't have a God so I must be unhappy? That's untrue and completely retarded. Why can't you accept that some people don't need a God to be happy? So stick to things you actually know, not what you ASSUME.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 5:51:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 5:20:19 PM, annhasle wrote:
Did you read the rest of my post? I gave quite clear reasons on why I'm happier without faith. Also, you have no idea how "happy" anyone else is. YOU ARE NOT THEM. How can you say that you, as a theist, must be happier? That's absolutely unfounded and I'm confused as to why you actually think it's a valid statement. You think that an atheist is missing out on... what? I don't have a God so I must be unhappy? That's untrue and completely retarded. Why can't you accept that some people don't need a God to be happy? So stick to things you actually know, not what you ASSUME.

So you're saying that people's happiness cannot be compared relative to each other?
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 8:46:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Just get along. Some are happy with religion some aren't. Some need it, some can't have it. Its personal which further proves that OP was right. Life is its own purpose, its about enjoying life. some people enjoy it more with having a book tell them how to live their life, others, like me, prefer finding their own path and realizing what they believe to be true.
Flowers bloom and wilt, and so do people, life is too short to get in meaningless fights about whose happier. What matters is each individual finds thein happiness. Religion brings that to some, but for others religion steals it.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 8:49:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 8:46:19 PM, lovelife wrote:
Just get along. Some are happy with religion some aren't. Some need it, some can't have it. Its personal which further proves that OP was right. Life is its own purpose, its about enjoying life. some people enjoy it more with having a book tell them how to live their life, others, like me, prefer finding their own path and realizing what they believe to be true.
Flowers bloom and wilt, and so do people, life is too short to get in meaningless fights about whose happier. What matters is each individual finds thein happiness. Religion brings that to some, but for others religion steals it.

I want religion; I'm just not sure what to believe anymore. :( This is depressing.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 8:49:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/16/2010 5:51:53 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:
At 9/16/2010 5:20:19 PM, annhasle wrote:
Did you read the rest of my post? I gave quite clear reasons on why I'm happier without faith. Also, you have no idea how "happy" anyone else is. YOU ARE NOT THEM. How can you say that you, as a theist, must be happier? That's absolutely unfounded and I'm confused as to why you actually think it's a valid statement. You think that an atheist is missing out on... what? I don't have a God so I must be unhappy? That's untrue and completely retarded. Why can't you accept that some people don't need a God to be happy? So stick to things you actually know, not what you ASSUME.

So you're saying that people's happiness cannot be compared relative to each other?

When he made the definitive statement that theists ARE happier than atheists, that was unfounded. There is no way he can absolutely know that theists are happier. He only assumes. And basing his whole argument off of assumptions is weak.

Yes, you can compare happiness between the two. But I don't think that a definitive answer on who is happier could be drawn from it. Look at it logically, does innomen know ALL atheists and ALL theists? No. So where's his proof?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.