Do Atheist Beliefs Fullfill You? Why or why n

FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 6:35:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/2/2015 6:27:16 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
Do you beliece Atheism fullfills people or yourself? What are the pros and cons?

I keep 10% of my salary, for starters. It goes to whom I would prefer to give it to, if at all.

It also makes me a lot more aware of the world around me. "In God's Hands" is really just the self admission that I have either done all I can do... or there are other's whom would simply prefer to do no more.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
MaxSterling
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 6:37:24 PM
Do you beliece Atheism fullfills people or yourself? What are the pros and cons?

Atheism doesn't offer anything. It's a state not a belief or even a philosophy. As a Transhumanist and on a personal level I do find comfort in the idea that there's no god but most of my 'fulfillment' comes from other things in my life.

Pros: I don't have to identify with any other atheists, a shared agreement doesn't bind us philosophically.

Cons: People make blanket judgements about the title itself without evaluating the person who holds it.
"But why do you want REVENGE?!"

"I HAVE REASONS!!!!!"
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 6:59:50 PM

Pro:

In either case, I possess the desire to improve the well-being of others whenever I can with whatever effort I can.

If I were theistic (which typically entails the belief in prayer), I could satisfy my desire by believing that my praying is helping. However, being an atheist and having no god to pray to, I can only satisfy my desires through actual, real-world effort. I prefer the latter as there is clear evidence in this case that I am helping. Mind you, this is not to say that people who pray do not put forth real-world effort, though.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 7:21:55 PM

I can make my own choices in life rather than being commanded like a programmed robot.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 9:13:21 PM

Atheism is but one very small portion of my personality. It's just a lack of belief in any supernatural supreme being or beings. It does not provide any philosophical underpinnings or inform me in any other realm of my life. I am called a good guy with a nice wife and kids, a decent man, a friend. I help where I can, harm none without purpose, and strive to keep my family healthy and happy. I'm probably as fulfilled as pretty much anyone I know.

Pros - I make my own decisions and don't have to worry about what some ancient tome of irrelevant wisdom says.

Cons - I'm the exception, not the rule.
zeromeansnothing
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 9:43:16 PM
Good Question and Well Done!

For me, personally, atheism is not a belief. It is a state of being without option. My nature dictates that I perceive the world in this way. I do not believe in your Gods and I would not create a God for myself. Is my atheistic state of being fulfilling. I do not want to complain about my being me or about life being life. I have realistic expectations that are surpassed on a daily basis. The actions of my fellow humans in history and on the world stage today fill me with shame and sorrow. The antics of the self declared religious make my blood boil. Give me a politician before a priest/cleric any day of the week and that is saying something. My natural environment is awesome! I am growing Fuchsia at the moment. They look like Fairy Dresses. Imagination is a wonderful aspect of our being if we allow it to remain 'pure',
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 4:40:52 AM
Do you believe Atheism fulfills people or yourself?

Atheism is simply the assertion of liberty from all claims of theological authority, IvS. It is non-doctrinal, therefore gives nothing nor expects anything, and as with all liberty, what you do with it is up to you.

But you can do rather a lot if you of good for yourself and others as an atheist, if you wish. In declaring certain ideas sacred, and others taboo; in making certain beliefs mandatory, and others heretical; in tithing and levying labour and ritual, theology spends a lot of effort bullying its adherents, stunting them morally and intellectually, patronising them and disrespecting them, putting the vice-grips on key topical social, moral and philosophical conversations.

Nobody gains from that.

So to the extent that morality gains from uncomfortable conversations, objective evidence, methodological transparency, empirical accountability, and stark self-examination, atheism can be a great friend to those endeavours, in ways that religious exceptionalism is not.

I hope that may be useful.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 4:57:26 AM

Atheism is no more fulling that not believing in the existence of Santa Claus or Alien abduction.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 10:56:06 PM

I think the concept is important. What i hear is that this may be my only life... and, i am living to the fullest bc i am aware of the term atheism and their arguments. It grounds you. It humbles you. It says you are human so live this one life you have. If people cannot here the urgency behind this message than they are most likely in lala land.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 10:58:37 PM
At 10/3/2015 10:56:06 PM, Outplayz wrote:

I think the concept is important. What i hear is that this may be my only life... and, i am living to the fullest bc i am aware of the term atheism and their arguments. It grounds you. It humbles you. It says you are human so live this one life you have. If people cannot here the urgency behind this message than they are most likely in lala land.

Hear* Then* i don't understand why i make such stupid typos...