Jump to topic:

Do Atheists Hate Christians?

IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 9:28:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have just noticed that Islamic posts get much less response from Atheists, but Christian posts tend to get attacked in mass by the Atheist community. Is it simply politically incorrect to charge at Muslims or do Atheists view the Atheism vs. Christianity idea as something like a rebellious teenager rebelling against mom and dad because they grew up around Christian cultures?
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 10:20:10 PM
At 10/3/2015 9:28:36 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
I have just noticed that Islamic posts get much less response from Atheists, but Christian posts tend to get attacked in mass by the Atheist community. Is it simply politically incorrect to charge at Muslims or do Atheists view the Atheism vs. Christianity idea as something like a rebellious teenager rebelling against mom and dad because they grew up around Christian cultures?

I think it has to do with where they grew up. I'd consider myself a spiritual atheist and i tend to reply better to Christians bc i grew up with heavy Christian influence. However, by birth city i am also Muslim so i know a thing or two, so i reply to them as well. I just don't feel knowledgeable enough to reply to Muslim questions v. Christian mythology.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 11:21:52 PM

I hate individuals on rare occasions, and specific attributes of individuals on a more common basis. I don't hate large, amorphous groups.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 11:26:47 PM

The attacks and hatred you are spewing towards Muslim's is far more than everyone else combined.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 12:48:43 AM

Well there are alot more christian posts to attack than Islamic ones so yes christian posts will get attacked more but that's just because of numbers.

Politically incorrect to argue against islam ? surely you must be joking.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 1:03:39 AM

It's called confirmation bias. Criticism of Christianity registers with you. Criticism of Islam flies past the radar.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 1:17:20 AM
At 10/4/2015 1:03:39 AM, dee-em wrote:

It's called confirmation bias. Criticism of Christianity registers with you. Criticism of Islam flies past the radar.

Not really. We have an Islamic thread with one Atheist rebutal in the first 40-50 posts. Christian based threads rarely make it past one or two. Sorry.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 1:25:47 AM
A Message to Sunnis and Shias is the thread. I brought it back to the top for reference. Obviously an Islamic post. Most of our typically very active Atheist acquaintences suddenly disappeared, and the one that was present early quickly evacuated once told he didn't know anything about what they were talking about.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 1:46:42 AM
At 10/4/2015 1:17:20 AM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:

Not really. We have an Islamic thread with one Atheist rebutal in the first 40-50 posts. Christian based threads rarely make it past one or two. Sorry.

Anecdotal evidence based on unidentified and probably highly selective thread choices. Look at almost any thread Fatihad has created and then tell me that it hasn't been immediately criticized. Yep, confirmation bias. So sorry.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 3:15:51 AM
At 10/4/2015 1:25:47 AM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
A Message to Sunnis and Shias is the thread. I brought it back to the top for reference. Obviously an Islamic post. Most of our typically very active Atheist acquaintences suddenly disappeared, and the one that was present early quickly evacuated once told he didn't know anything about what they were talking about.

... Probably because that was an incredibly technical thread about Middle Eastern history, the authenticity of hadith, and various historical scholarly movements within Islam. 99% of people in the West are completely ignorant of those topics. The same goes for certain Christian conversations: if Christians, for example, got into a heated debate over christology, or the Great Schism, most atheists would be at a loss, and the intelligent ones would just not participate. The unintelligent ones might run in screaming 'lol, retards believe in god, herp derp', but atheist idiots do the same things with Muslims when they run in going 'taqqiya! TAQQIYA! Herp derp! I learned an Arabic word, even though I have no idea what it means, but somehow being able to repeat it like a demented parrot gives me insight into some absurd conspiracy theory at the heart of Islam!' Every argument has people involved who vastly overestimate their grasp of the content being discussed.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 3:22:13 AM

I think it's a case of addressing the devil they know.
joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 3:23:57 AM

I think that it is because most atheists have more experience with Christians, and will thus be able to feel more comfortable in discussion with them.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 3:51:21 AM
At 10/4/2015 3:22:13 AM, PureX wrote:

Is the devil you know blinding some from ever seeing the devil you do not know?
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 3:53:27 AM
At 10/4/2015 1:46:42 AM, dee-em wrote:

Anecdotal evidence based on unidentified and probably highly selective thread choices. Look at almost any thread Fatihad has created and then tell me that it hasn't been immediately criticized. Yep, confirmation bias. So sorry.

I don't think so. I've analyzed about every thread that comes through this forum. There is a giant trend in general. It's not close. You are welcome to study it for yourself.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 8:05:30 AM
At 10/4/2015 3:53:27 AM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
At 10/4/2015 1:46:42 AM, dee-em wrote:

I don't think so. I've analyzed about every thread that comes through this forum. There is a giant trend in general. It's not close. You are welcome to study it for yourself.

Would you care to post a link to your academic analysis?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 1:11:34 PM
At 10/4/2015 3:51:21 AM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:

Muslims are not a threat to my society, christians are.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 2:52:39 PM

Of course. That's human nature. There are more "fundamentalist" atheists on this site than there are "fundamentalist" Christians. And they are equally irrational, biased, and absurd in their ideologies. Yet neither of them is even remotely aware of how much alike they really are, because neither of them can see their own foolishness while they spend all their time pointing fingers at the other's.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 11:06:39 PM
At 10/4/2015 1:11:34 PM, bulproof wrote:

Amen. Because Christians say Christ has come in the flesh.

1Jo 4:3 - ....every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.

Luk 21:17 - And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake.
Jhn 15:18 - If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.

What bothers anti-theists (anti-Christs) is Jesus, not Christians. Just notice the next time an atheist talks about "Christians" he likes and you will see it is a "Christian" who has excised Christ from his religion. (Does not think there is a Hell, does not think homosexuality is a sin, does not think Jesus is God, does not think the Bible is true.) All things affirmed by Jesus.

No, they don't hate Christians, they hate Christ.

Eph 6:12 - [Christians] ........do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Christians .......do not wrestle against flesh and blood, .....but neither do antichrists.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 11:27:38 PM
At 10/7/2015 11:06:39 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 10/4/2015 1:11:34 PM, bulproof wrote:

Amen. Because Christians say Christ has come in the flesh.

1Jo 4:3 - ....every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.

Luk 21:17 - And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake.
Jhn 15:18 - If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.

What bothers anti-theists (anti-Christs) is Jesus, not Christians. Just notice the next time an atheist talks about "Christians" he likes and you will see it is a "Christian" who has excised Christ from his religion. (Does not think there is a Hell, does not think homosexuality is a sin, does not think Jesus is God, does not think the Bible is true.) All things affirmed by Jesus.

No, they don't hate Christians, they hate Christ.

Eph 6:12 - [Christians] ........do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Christians .......do not wrestle against flesh and blood, .....but neither do antichrists.

Why would anyone hate someone who never existed?
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 11:54:39 PM
I have just noticed that Islamic posts get much less response from Atheists, but Christian posts tend to get attacked in mass by the Atheist community.
I don't think you're seeing the full picture, IvS. Christian intolerance of atheism is historical, and atheistic vilification articulated by conservative Christianity in general, and by American Evangelicalism in particular, has damaged relations between nontheists and certain segments of the Christian community.

That relationship is reflected in this Pew report, for example. [http://www.pewforum.org...] You can see that atheists are lukewarm to most Christian faiths, but very chilly toward Evangelicalism. Why? Take a look at how Evangelicalism considers atheists.

The atheists I know are much more critical of Christian nationalism than Christianity -- much as the non-Muslim world is more critical of Islamic nationalism than Islam itself.

There's a lot of Christian nationalism represented in this forum, but a lot less Muslim nationalism. I think if that balance shifted we'd see a shift in responses.

I'm not sure if that's of interest to you though, since a lot of the anti-Muslim and anti-atheistic arguments you pursue are themselves Christian nationalistic lines.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:08:34 AM
At 10/7/2015 11:54:39 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
I have just noticed that Islamic posts get much less response from Atheists, but Christian posts tend to get attacked in mass by the Atheist community.
I don't think you're seeing the full picture, IvS. Christian intolerance of atheism is historical, and atheistic vilification articulated by conservative Christianity in general, and by American Evangelicalism in particular, has damaged relations between nontheists and certain segments of the Christian community.

That relationship is reflected in this Pew report, for example. [http://www.pewforum.org...] You can see that atheists are lukewarm to most Christian faiths, but very chilly toward Evangelicalism. Why? Take a look at how Evangelicalism considers atheists.

The atheists I know are much more critical of Christian nationalism than Christianity -- much as the non-Muslim world is more critical of Islamic nationalism than Islam itself.

There's a lot of Christian nationalism represented in this forum, but a lot less Muslim nationalism. I think if that balance shifted we'd see a shift in responses.

I'm not sure if that's of interest to you though, since a lot of the anti-Muslim and anti-atheistic arguments you pursue are themselves Christian nationalistic lines.

I am anti Islamic. This is true. It is because I was raised one and know the threat it poses from being on the inside. Look up Taquiyya and sileny Jihad. They are real and a threat to the West and you. Ignore it at your own peril because it is not slowing down because Atheist's ignore it.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:35:06 AM
At 10/8/2015 12:08:34 AM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:

I am anti Islamic. This is true. It is because I was raised one and know the threat it poses from being on the inside.

I'm antitheistic. I don't like appeals to religious authority in any form, but especially not when wedded to nationalism.

But I have no especial dislike of Christianity. I've had great chats with Christian humanists, and we agree on almost everything but cosmology. There are Muslim humanists too, and I've enjoyed talking to the few I've met. Islam has previously had great humanist movements, as all the older world faiths have had.

But having an antisecular member like yourself tell me that another faith is a danger to democracy and intellectual freedom seems like the unwashed pot dissing the unpolished kettle. I say this with no great animus, IvS, but you're not presently high on my list of members whom I'd let tell me what to object to, and why. :D

Deal with your allergy to atheism first, and then we could talk. :D
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:45:08 AM
At 10/8/2015 12:35:06 AM, RuvDraba wrote:

I am anti Islamic. This is true. It is because I was raised one and know the threat it poses from being on the inside.

I'm antitheistic. I don't like appeals to religious authority in any form, but especially not when wedded to nationalism.

But I have no especial dislike of Christianity. I've had great chats with Christian humanists, and we agree on almost everything but cosmology. There are Muslim humanists too, and I've enjoyed talking to the few I've met. Islam has previously had great humanist movements, as all the older world faiths have had.

But having an antisecular member like yourself tell me that another faith is a danger to democracy and intellectual freedom seems like the unwashed pot dissing the unpolished kettle. I say this with no great animus, IvS, but you're not presently high on my list of members whom I'd let tell me what to object to, and why. :D

You haven't studied Islam have you?
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:49:35 AM
At 10/8/2015 12:45:08 AM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
At 10/8/2015 12:35:06 AM, RuvDraba wrote:

You haven't studied Islam have you?

That depends on what you mean, IvS. The history of religion is fascinating to me, and I'm interested in religious philosophy, myths and art, but generally find religious dogma a face-ache.

So unfortunately, if you're interested in telling me about the particulars of the Hadith and what you're sure they really mean, I'm not terribly interested. Such commentary is plentiful -- both the idealistic sort, and the tinfoil hat sort. I don't feel I need more of it.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 5:31:46 PM
Do all atheists? No. Do some? Isn't it obvious?

They are probably more fascinated by Christianity more than anything.

Unfortunately, despite their fascination, they tend to be too lazy to study the subject too seriously. Their fascination doesn't have to do with an interest in theology, it has more to do with the fact that in their minds, Christianity doesn't make any sense and they think that people who claim the label are moronic.

They put a great deal of faith in their current understanding, despite their pretensions. Pride after all, was the sin of the devil.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 5:57:53 PM
At 10/8/2015 5:31:46 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:

Unfortunately, despite their fascination, they tend to be too lazy to study the subject too seriously. Their fascination doesn't have to do with an interest in theology, it has more to do with the fact that in their minds, Christianity doesn't make any sense and they think that people who claim the label are moronic.

They put a great deal of faith in their current understanding, despite their pretensions. Pride after all, was the sin of the devil.
Despite your profound conceit most of the atheists on here are more than well versed on the christian religion at least, as can be seen by the posts that destroy the pathetic christians at every turn.
But please don't let me destroy your belief in your superiority, it is after all, all you've got.
Hitchian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 5:59:55 PM

You being the poster theologian for humbleness, right?
Right.

Well dependability can be verified or deduced from a track record. Science's track record has been triumphant. Christianity's? Not so much.

Christianity needs to be opposed. I am opposing it. Even if it 's clearly on its way out, it still has too much nefarious power over peoples' lives. It leads otherwise decent intelligent people to do and say the dumbest things.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 6:18:36 PM
Do Atheists Hate Christians?
In a world of equals, no.
But in a world of unequals, no.
In a world of christian fantasy, no.
In a world of reality, it's the christians who are AFRAID of the atheists.
Very SAD really.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 6:24:27 PM
At 10/8/2015 5:59:55 PM, Hitchian wrote:

You being the poster theologian for humbleness, right?
Right.

Well dependability can be verified or deduced from a track record. Science's track record has been triumphant. Christianity's? Not so much.

Christianity needs to be opposed. I am opposing it. Even if it 's clearly on its way out, it still has too much nefarious power over peoples' lives. It leads otherwise decent intelligent people to do and say the dumbest things.

I assure you, your position stems from ignorance. The fact that you are comparing Christianity and science as if they are diametrically opposed is a testament to all the horse crap you've allowed to pile in your head on this subject.

You've been lied to, the information you have is bad, and you have been rigged to have faulty standards. It's the truth. You can build an entire tree of logic off of faulty premises, and your conclusions are still going to be logical. But guess what? They are all false.

Do you want to know the Truth? The Truth topples all these principalities, dominions, power structures, and exposes them for what they really are. Christianity is an agnostic faith, and the theology is built off of this understanding.

Why does it not appear this way? Because you don't understand the religion. A great deal of it has to do with forgiving each other for being lousy knowing full well that if we are honest, we will find that we ourselves are lousy too. If you can't get past this, you will never be able to wade past the ocean of Christians in order to get to the actual gospel.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer