Jump to topic:

Homosexuality and the Church of Christ

TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 8:12:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Yesterday, I attended my church. Of course, the lesson was "Sodom and Gomorrah, Kim Davis, and Today". Since I am gay, I was naturally a little pissed. I kept my mouth shut and went with it. Then they asked me to read a passage...I refused, no problem. No harm done. Then they brought up Kim Davis, and, I felt the need to point out their hypocrisy at the statement "Marriage is between one man and one woman" by pointing out her 4 marriages. This is not to say I disagree with her right to exercise her beliefs in the workplace, but I disagree with her authority to claim the moral high ground with a 400 lb man next to her, violating the Scripture against obesity, and her 4 marriages.

Well, that brought on the "people change" side. Then they had the audacity to call homosexuals by default sinners. Then the preacher/Bible Study teacher said that they were "accepting of gays and would apologize if anyone in the room were to say they were gay and point out their "sins" (as if they are Jesus and know that homosexuals are going to hell because ONE passage in the New Testament says that gay sex is unnatural) and then drop the subject, and not bar them from church functions.

Well, then we got off topic and started to talk about arguments and how this one boy went to school with 4 extreme feminists who blasted him and his friends for being pro-life, men, Christians...You get the idea.

My point is that nobody in that room noticed their own hypocrisy. I know a few were fornicators, some alcoholics, some obese, some pro-choice. But nobody bothered to point out the verses against their own sin, but would blast a gay boy who has gone to church so often that they might as well forward his mail there.

Any thoughts?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 8:16:38 PM
At 10/5/2015 8:12:56 PM, TheChristian wrote:
Yesterday, I attended my church. Of course, the lesson was "Sodom and Gomorrah, Kim Davis, and Today". Since I am gay, I was naturally a little pissed. I kept my mouth shut and went with it. Then they asked me to read a passage...I refused, no problem. No harm done. Then they brought up Kim Davis, and, I felt the need to point out their hypocrisy at the statement "Marriage is between one man and one woman" by pointing out her 4 marriages. This is not to say I disagree with her right to exercise her beliefs in the workplace, but I disagree with her authority to claim the moral high ground with a 400 lb man next to her, violating the Scripture against obesity, and her 4 marriages.

Well, that brought on the "people change" side. Then they had the audacity to call homosexuals by default sinners. Then the preacher/Bible Study teacher said that they were "accepting of gays and would apologize if anyone in the room were to say they were gay and point out their "sins" (as if they are Jesus and know that homosexuals are going to hell because ONE passage in the New Testament says that gay sex is unnatural) and then drop the subject, and not bar them from church functions.

Well, then we got off topic and started to talk about arguments and how this one boy went to school with 4 extreme feminists who blasted him and his friends for being pro-life, men, Christians...You get the idea.

My point is that nobody in that room noticed their own hypocrisy. I know a few were fornicators, some alcoholics, some obese, some pro-choice. But nobody bothered to point out the verses against their own sin, but would blast a gay boy who has gone to church so often that they might as well forward his mail there.

Any thoughts?

Maybe you need a new religion.
TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 8:20:53 PM
At 10/5/2015 8:16:38 PM, janesix wrote:

Any thoughts?

Sadly, that is not an option, my whole family belongs to that church. No other church fits my personality and beliefs. I tried Catholic, I can't stand the hypocrisy and the idea that you can do whatever you want and you go in and confess it to a man in a robe and its all OK. I tried Lutheran, I don't agree with their preaching requirements, I tried a lot of others, and mine is the closest I can get to my image of a good religion.
Hitchian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 8:24:34 PM

Any thoughts?

Leaving a religion you believe in just because it's inconvenient would be highly questionable. If one really believes the Bible is the inspired word of God and given that it unequivocally condemns homosexuality, then one would be faced with the option to repress one's sexuality in order to obey God.

You could instead take a hard look at the available evidence for God as of today and rationally decide to move to agnosticism or atheism for no ulterior motives. The by-product of that unbiased decision, of course, would be to disoblige you from having your life directed by the Bible.

But, again, leaving a religion you still believe in just because it says a thing or two you find inconvenient is not the apex of honesty.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 8:29:23 PM
At 10/5/2015 8:24:34 PM, Hitchian wrote:

Any thoughts?

Leaving a religion you believe in just because it's inconvenient would be highly questionable. If one really believes the Bible is the inspired word of God and given that it unequivocally condemns homosexuality, then one would be faced with the option to repress one's sexuality in order to obey God.

You could instead take a hard look at the available evidence for God as of today and rationally decide to move to agnosticism or atheism for no ulterior motives. The by-product of that unbiased decision, of course, would be to disoblige you from having your life directed by the Bible.

But, again, leaving a religion you still believe in just because it says a thing or two you find inconvenient is not the apex of honesty.

Homosexuality is not a "sin", it is perfectly natural. Maybe it is your Bible and religion that has a problem with "honesty".
Hitchian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 8:43:14 PM
At 10/5/2015 8:29:23 PM, janesix wrote:
At 10/5/2015 8:24:34 PM, Hitchian wrote:

Any thoughts?

Homosexuality is not a "sin", it is perfectly natural. Maybe it is your Bible and religion that has a problem with "honesty".

Look, pal, I'm not even a Christian. I do not give a peanut shell about what the Bible says about anything.

However, if one believes the Bible is the inspired word of go, then one is force to acknowledge the Bible condemns homosexuality in the most explicit terms.

So which is it?

Maybe you want to have it both ways, you want to remain a devout Bible believer, but want to leave the bits that don't suit your lifestyle. Fine. It's up to you. Just don't pretend that's intellectually honest, because it certainly isn't.

Consider agnosticism and atheism for the right reasons, which are compliance with evidence currently available and adherence to reality, not because they offer an easy way out to suits your needs of the moment.

Either way, it's your life. You do whatever you want.
truth_is_was_will_be
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 8:49:58 PM

Any thoughts? : :

Go to your Christian leaders and ask them why they can't obey God's commandments such as worshiping other gods before Him, using the Lord's name in vain, coveting everything of thy neighbors and loving only those who commit to their religious traditions and dogma that have led everyone away from the Truth.
TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 8:51:23 PM
At 10/5/2015 8:49:58 PM, truth_is_was_will_be wrote:

Go to your Christian leaders and ask them why they can't obey God's commandments such as worshiping other gods before Him, using the Lord's name in vain, coveting everything of thy neighbors and loving only those who commit to their religious traditions and dogma that have led everyone away from the Truth.

Too aggressive, I point out hypocrisy where I see it, if it isn't true or I don't know for a fact that it is, I don't.
truth_is_was_will_be
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 8:52:50 PM
At 10/5/2015 8:51:23 PM, TheChristian wrote:

Too aggressive, I point out hypocrisy where I see it, if it isn't true or I don't know for a fact that it is, I don't. : :

Most chosen believers left Christianity and the other religions of the Beast. Why do you insist on worshiping the Beast?
TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 9:03:28 PM
At 10/5/2015 8:52:50 PM, truth_is_was_will_be wrote:

Too aggressive, I point out hypocrisy where I see it, if it isn't true or I don't know for a fact that it is, I don't. : :

Most chosen believers left Christianity and the other religions of the Beast. Why do you insist on worshiping the Beast?

Excuse You? What do you mean?
truth_is_was_will_be
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 9:06:18 PM
At 10/5/2015 9:03:28 PM, TheChristian wrote:

Excuse You? What do you mean? : :

All religions, languages, mathematics, and scientific thoughts come from the Beast, which are God's thoughts to teach his people how to build false gods ( objects built with human hands ) so that He can use them as analogies to teach us saints the future and how He created everything. Now that He has gotten His people to build computers, He can use them to teach me exactly how He created everything.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 9:22:33 PM
At 10/5/2015 8:20:53 PM, TheChristian wrote:

Any thoughts?

Sadly, that is not an option, my whole family belongs to that church. No other church fits my personality and beliefs. I tried Catholic, I can't stand the hypocrisy and the idea that you can do whatever you want and you go in and confess it to a man in a robe and its all OK. I tried Lutheran, I don't agree with their preaching requirements, I tried a lot of others, and mine is the closest I can get to my image of a good religion.

You might want to try Quakerism or the New Church; they seem to be much more aligned with your beliefs.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 9:31:14 PM
At 10/5/2015 9:06:18 PM, truth_is_was_will_be wrote:

All religions, languages, mathematics, and scientific thoughts come from the Beast, which are God's thoughts to teach his people how to build false gods ( objects built with human hands ) so that He can use them as analogies to teach us saints the future and how He created everything. Now that He has gotten His people to build computers, He can use them to teach me exactly how He created everything.

Explain?
TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 9:33:29 PM
At 10/5/2015 9:22:33 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Any thoughts?

You might want to try Quakerism or the New Church; they seem to be much more aligned with your beliefs.

I live almost a hundred miles away from the nearest one of those.
truth_is_was_will_be
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 9:38:51 PM
At 10/5/2015 9:31:14 PM, TheChristian wrote:

Explain? : :

Are you familiar with the simulation computer game called, "The Sims"?
TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 9:41:56 PM
At 10/5/2015 9:38:51 PM, truth_is_was_will_be wrote:

Sort of.
truth_is_was_will_be
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 9:54:07 PM
At 10/5/2015 9:41:56 PM, TheChristian wrote:

Sort of. : :

This game is the best analogy that God used to teach me exactly how He created everything.

Many places in the Bible, God shows us that He spoke everything into existence, both visible and the invisible. In fact, the first two sentences in Genesis shows us that the earth was created without form and void. This means that the earth doesn't exist as something made of hard physical matter.

If you understand quantum physics, you will learn about waves and particles that make up the material ( visible objects ) things that we observe. However, the visible particles that quantum physicists observe become waves when not observed. This shows us that particles are only illusions when observed but their original state is invisible waves.

God spoke everything into existence as invisible waves first before any visible objects could be observed by His created characters. This means that these invisible waves are God's computing language that He used to created a program called Eternal Life. Even Jesus knew that his visible body wasn't his true created existence. Here's what he said about the flesh;

John 6
63: It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

The words that Jesus spoke came from the mind of our Creator who was showing Him how He created everything. Jesus is not our Lord and Savior. He was only a visible flesh that God used to testify to His knowledge about His program called Eternal Life. Many other saints came after Jesus to help explain this program to God's chosen believers but without the modern technology we have today such as computers, it was almost impossible for the early saints to understand exactly how God created everything. They learned that we came from an invisible realm but they didn't understand what particles and invisible waves were that made up God's computing language.

Now we know exactly how we were created so God's plan to end this age will happen soon. Would you like to know how this first generation of God's program will end?
TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 9:56:13 PM
At 10/5/2015 9:54:07 PM, truth_is_was_will_be wrote:

This game is the best analogy that God used to teach me exactly how He created everything.

Many places in the Bible, God shows us that He spoke everything into existence, both visible and the invisible. In fact, the first two sentences in Genesis shows us that the earth was created without form and void. This means that the earth doesn't exist as something made of hard physical matter.

If you understand quantum physics, you will learn about waves and particles that make up the material ( visible objects ) things that we observe. However, the visible particles that quantum physicists observe become waves when not observed. This shows us that particles are only illusions when observed but their original state is invisible waves.

God spoke everything into existence as invisible waves first before any visible objects could be observed by His created characters. This means that these invisible waves are God's computing language that He used to created a program called Eternal Life. Even Jesus knew that his visible body wasn't his true created existence. Here's what he said about the flesh;

John 6
63: It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

The words that Jesus spoke came from the mind of our Creator who was showing Him how He created everything. Jesus is not our Lord and Savior. He was only a visible flesh that God used to testify to His knowledge about His program called Eternal Life. Many other saints came after Jesus to help explain this program to God's chosen believers but without the modern technology we have today such as computers, it was almost impossible for the early saints to understand exactly how God created everything. They learned that we came from an invisible realm but they didn't understand what particles and invisible waves were that made up God's computing language.

Now we know exactly how we were created so God's plan to end this age will happen soon. Would you like to know how this first generation of God's program will end?

So....I'm a computer simulation?
truth_is_was_will_be
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 10:02:04 PM
At 10/5/2015 9:56:13 PM, TheChristian wrote:

John 6

So....I'm a computer simulation? : :

You are a character in God's simulation and that's all you are and ever will be as long as this program keeps running, which is promised by God to keep running forever.

There's no need for you to fear the visible things of this world because they're not real anyway. This is the deeper knowledge of God that only us saints and chosen believers get to understand before He ends this first age, which will soon happen.
TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 10:04:33 PM
At 10/5/2015 10:02:04 PM, truth_is_was_will_be wrote:

John 6

You are a character in God's simulation and that's all you are and ever will be as long as this program keeps running, which is promised by God to keep running forever.

There's no need for you to fear the visible things of this world because they're not real anyway. This is the deeper knowledge of God that only us saints and chosen believers get to understand before He ends this first age, which will soon happen.

So heaven then could not exist.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 10:05:23 PM

Any thoughts?

All of the above - while not sins in and of themselves - are generally the result of sin. A glutton (and therefore obese person) is no better off - no different in substance - to a homosexual. Neither is an alcoholic. (While a person could be obese, or addicted to drugs, without sinning, that is generally not the case).

People are fat because they cave in to their desires for more food.
People are alcoholics because they caved in to their desires to drink alcohol to excess.
People are homosexuals because they caved in to their desires to become intimate with the same sex.

The sin isn't in the temptation. It's in the acting out. Different folks are tempted in different ways.

I'll bore you with a story:

I went to worship services about twenty years ago, and during the course of the lesson, the preacher went into a tangent on cigarettes and tobacco in general. I told him after services that I wished he'd be more consistent because, "Look at that fat woman walking down the end aisle. She can barely get through the door." It turned out that it was his wife.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 10:10:35 PM
At 10/5/2015 10:05:23 PM, annanicole wrote:

Any thoughts?

All of the above - while not sins in and of themselves - are generally the result of sin. A glutton (and therefore obese person) is no better off - no different in substance - to a homosexual. Neither is an alcoholic. (While a person could be obese, or addicted to drugs, without sinning, that is generally not the case).

People are fat because they cave in to their desires for more food.
People are alcoholics because they caved in to their desires to drink alcohol to excess.
People are homosexuals because they caved in to their desires to become intimate with the same sex.

The sin isn't in the temptation. It's in the acting out. Different folks are tempted in different ways.

I'll bore you with a story:

I went to worship services about twenty years ago, and during the course of the lesson, the preacher went into a tangent on cigarettes and tobacco in general. I told him after services that I wished he'd be more consistent because, "Look at that fat woman walking down the end aisle. She can barely get through the door." It turned out that it was his wife.

I read the entire Bible, nowhere does it give anyone the right to judge. So why do people think that they can put down homosexuals just because of who they like? I am a gay virgin and yet a straight prostitute is more welcome at the Church of Christ than me.
truth_is_was_will_be
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 10:11:38 PM
At 10/5/2015 10:04:33 PM, TheChristian wrote:

John 6

So heaven then could not exist. : :

Heaven is just a symbolic term of God's invisible creation in the form of invisible waves. It cannot be observed until we awaken in a visible earthly body, which can be simulated in computer games of today.

God created heaven ( invisible creation made of invisible waves ) and earth ( visible simulation ).
TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 10:15:12 PM
At 10/5/2015 10:11:38 PM, truth_is_was_will_be wrote:

John 6

Heaven is just a symbolic term of God's invisible creation in the form of invisible waves. It cannot be observed until we awaken in a visible earthly body, which can be simulated in computer games of today.

God created heaven ( invisible creation made of invisible waves ) and earth ( visible simulation ).

I like where this is going...what denomination are you?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 10:17:13 PM
John 6

He's Born_of_God, and has been banned from the site for serially derailing threads, as he's doing right now. That account will probably be closed once the moderator logs on, so this conversation won't be going anywhere.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 10:20:41 PM
At 10/5/2015 9:33:29 PM, TheChristian wrote:

Any thoughts?

From Quaker congregations? They're pretty informal and widespread; a lot of the meetings aren't held in churches, but in a natural place. Here's one group's meeting locations: http://www.fgcquaker.org...
- Hilaire Belloc -
truth_is_was_will_be
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 10:21:47 PM
At 10/5/2015 10:15:12 PM, TheChristian wrote:
At 10/5/2015 10:11:38 PM, truth_is_was_will_be wrote:

John 6

I like where this is going...what denomination are you? : :

None of us prophets and saints were used by God to start a religion. All religions were started by the building of false gods with human hands except the Ark of the Covenant, which was a place for Moses to find a peaceful place to listen to the voice of the Lord. The Ark of the Covenant will be forgotten in the next age and will never be built again because we will all hear the voice of the Lord.

Jeremiah 31
31: "Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah,
32: not like the covenant which I made with their fathers when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant which they broke, though I was their husband, says the LORD.
33: But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it upon their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34: And no longer shall each man teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, `Know the LORD,' for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, says the LORD; for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more."
TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 10:22:22 PM
At 10/5/2015 10:17:13 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
John 6

He's Born_of_God, and has been banned from the site for serially derailing threads, as he's doing right now. That account will probably be closed once the moderator logs on, so this conversation won't be going anywhere.

Hush, child.
TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 10:24:55 PM
At 10/5/2015 10:20:41 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Any thoughts?

From Quaker congregations? They're pretty informal and widespread; a lot of the meetings aren't held in churches, but in a natural place. Here's one group's meeting locations: http://www.fgcquaker.org...

Well, even if one were right next door, I couldn't find it.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2015 10:28:19 PM
At 10/5/2015 10:24:55 PM, TheChristian wrote:
At 10/5/2015 10:20:41 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Well, even if one were right next door, I couldn't find it.

Just enter your zipcode into the site, and it will tell you the closest. And that's just one Council; there are multiple Quaker councils our there.
- Hilaire Belloc -