Jump to topic:

Christians answering to the Bible?

katebutler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 5:48:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Should Christians be held accountable for the moral lessons they teach/learn and how this correlates to those shown in the Bible? This is not only for New Testament worshippers, but Old Testament as well.
I have seen lately that people debating this (including atheists and Christians) shy away from holding up stories from the Bible when discussing the morality of Christianity, and this has confused me. I know many Christians say they take what they feel is right from the Bible, but should they have to answer for the horrendous morals described as well, especially as some call for violence to others? Or should they be free to interpret their religious book as they please?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 6:53:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/7/2015 5:48:20 AM, katebutler wrote:
Should Christians be held accountable for the moral lessons they teach/learn and how this correlates to those shown in the Bible? This is not only for New Testament worshippers, but Old Testament as well.
I have seen lately that people debating this (including atheists and Christians) shy away from holding up stories from the Bible when discussing the morality of Christianity, and this has confused me. I know many Christians say they take what they feel is right from the Bible, but should they have to answer for the horrendous morals described as well, especially as some call for violence to others? Or should they be free to interpret their religious book as they please?

Christians will always cherry pick. Many of them haven't even read the entirety of the Bible. They are horrified when some of the nastier portions, especially from the OT as you say, are pointed out to them. The quickest way to become an atheist is to read the Bible from cover to cover.

Some Christians will try the dodge, that the OT commandments and laws were made obsolete by the NT. They completely ignore this when they do (from the mouth of their alleged saviour):

Matthew 5
17"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.