That's a Joke Son, Get It?

Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2015 5:53:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Question:
How many Fundamentalist Christians does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Answer:
None.

Explanation:
They believe the light bulb will be screwed in and give them light by grace, and not by works.

Result:
Fundamentalist Christians remain in the dark.

Question:
How many atheists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Answer:
None.

Explanation:
There is zero scientific proof that every light bulb works, and a great deal of scientific proof that many light bulbs do not work. The atheists refuse to waste their time screwing in the light bulb until they have absolute proof that it will work. When told they must have faith that the light bulb will work, they scoff at such a ludicrous suggestion, insisting that such faith is for gullible fools. They tenaciously demand proof.

Result:
Atheists remain in the dark.

Conclusion:
Fundamentalist Christians and Atheists share something in common.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2015 6:27:42 AM
The jerk is back with another inane thread where he demonstrates that he confuses atheists with scientists and then goes on to show that he has no clue about the scientific method anyway. For some reason he appears to think that a scientific theory requires absolute proof rather than evidence. LMAO.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2015 6:44:23 AM
At 10/9/2015 6:27:42 AM, dee-em wrote:
The jerk is back with another inane thread where he demonstrates that he confuses atheists with scientists and then goes on to show that he has no clue about the scientific method anyway. For some reason he appears to think that a scientific theory requires absolute proof rather than evidence. LMAO.

And the cowardly dog keeps safely barking behind his fence, backing up absolutely none of his nonsense while allegory and sarcasm completely escape him.

But don't let me say such things and actually be right. By all means, please show me where atheists must be scientists to adhere to scientific principles. And how, pray tell, is my allegory in error of the scientific method? What scientific theory, exactly, did you see there?
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2015 7:34:04 AM
At 10/9/2015 6:44:23 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

And the cowardly dog keeps safely barking behind his fence, backing up absolutely none of his nonsense while allegory and sarcasm completely escape him.

The jerk continues with the ad homs. Lol.

But don't let me say such things and actually be right. By all means, please show me where atheists must be scientists to adhere to scientific principles.

The 'joke' only works if every atheist relies on scientific principles. Yes, some atheists do. That doesn't mean they all do. The only body of people who always adhere to a scientific approach are scientists. Therefore you are conflating atheists with scientists. Of course you would deny the obvious. That's your dishonest nature on display again.

And how, pray tell, is my allegory in error of the scientific method? What scientific theory, exactly, did you see there?

I've already explained. Can't you read?

The atheists refuse to waste their time screwing in the light bulb until they have absolute proof that it will work.

Please show us where science requires absolute proof of anything.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2015 7:37:47 AM
At 10/9/2015 5:53:49 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

Yes, I do!

Light is a metaphor for the abundant benefits of compliance with some religious dogma (unstated, but implicitly that of the teller.)

In this joke the teller blames fundamentalism for not being active enough, and atheism for not being credulous enough, but seems unaware that the greatest benefits to humanity have arisen from abandoning all religious dogma and testing physical evidence, and is unable to demonstrate what the benefits of living by any religious dogma are!

Great irony, Kyle. Thanks! :D
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2015 9:44:01 AM
Since Kyle is a little slow on the uptake, I'll help him out. Here's a version that works:

Question:
How many atheist scientists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Answer:
None.

Explanation:
There is zero scientific evidence that every light bulb works, and a great deal of scientific evidence that many light bulbs do not work. The atheist scientists refuse to waste their time screwing in the light bulb until they have compelling evidence that it will work. When told they must have faith that the light bulb will work, they scoff at such a ludicrous suggestion, insisting that such faith is for gullible fools. They tenaciously demand evidence.

Result:
Atheist scientists remain in the dark.

Conclusion:
Fundamentalist Christians and Atheist scientists share something in common.

No, that doesn't work either. Lol.

The joke relies on a sleight of hand regarding evidence (zero that every bulb works versus a great deal that many - a few actually - fail upon being switched on) and that a scientist would only screw in a bulb if it was guaranteed to work. This is a carricture of the scientific approach. The number of bulbs which fail on first use is infinitesimal compared to the number that work. The joke fails on every level which means that the joke is on Kyle. Thanks for the laugh, Kyle.
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2015 12:26:54 PM
Now I know not to click on threads with Kyle's name at the top, so it's not a complete waste.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2015 2:21:26 PM
At 10/9/2015 9:44:01 AM, dee-em wrote:
Since Kyle is a little slow on the uptake, I'll help him out. Here's a version that works:

Question:

Answer:
None.

Explanation:
There is zero scientific evidence that every light bulb works, and a great deal of scientific evidence that many light bulbs do not work. The atheist scientists refuse to waste their time screwing in the light bulb until they have compelling evidence that it will work. When told they must have faith that the light bulb will work, they scoff at such a ludicrous suggestion, insisting that such faith is for gullible fools. They tenaciously demand evidence.

Result:

Conclusion:

The joke relies on a sleight of hand regarding evidence (zero that every bulb works versus a great deal that many - a few actually - fail upon being switched on) and that a scientist would only screw in a bulb if it was guaranteed to work. This is a carricture of the scientific approach. The number of bulbs which fail on first use is infinitesimal compared to the number that work. The joke fails on every level which means that the joke is on Kyle. Thanks for the laugh, Kyle.

No, it's really a caricature of atheists who like to lord how scientific they are, despite the fact that there isn't really a scientific bone in their body. They believe the things they read, but the ones who like to point at science the most tend to be the the ones who don't perform experiments of their own. They are pretentious hypocrites.

Scientists who happen to be atheists? I wouldn't put them in the same category. The joke works better the other way.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2015 2:24:56 PM
At 10/9/2015 7:34:04 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/9/2015 6:44:23 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

The jerk continues with the ad homs. Lol.

But don't let me say such things and actually be right. By all means, please show me where atheists must be scientists to adhere to scientific principles.

The 'joke' only works if every atheist relies on scientific principles. Yes, some atheists do. That doesn't mean they all do. The only body of people who always adhere to a scientific approach are scientists. Therefore you are conflating atheists with scientists. Of course you would deny the obvious. That's your dishonest nature on display again.

And how, pray tell, is my allegory in error of the scientific method? What scientific theory, exactly, did you see there?

I've already explained. Can't you read?

The atheists refuse to waste their time screwing in the light bulb until they have absolute proof that it will work.

Please show us where science requires absolute proof of anything.

You call me a jerk, and then hypocritically accuse of me using ad hominems. Big surprise.

It doesn't take a scientist to screw in a light bulb, duh. The allegory deals with common sense, not science, but you appear to lack the commons sense to see that.

You have explained nothing. You have only shown how little you understand.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2015 2:27:20 PM
At 10/9/2015 7:37:47 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 10/9/2015 5:53:49 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

Yes, I do!

Light is a metaphor for the abundant benefits of compliance with some religious dogma (unstated, but implicitly that of the teller.)

In this joke the teller blames fundamentalism for not being active enough, and atheism for not being credulous enough, but seems unaware that the greatest benefits to humanity have arisen from abandoning all religious dogma and testing physical evidence, and is unable to demonstrate what the benefits of living by any religious dogma are!

Great irony, Kyle. Thanks! :D

The irony is subjective, and the demonstration valid. Religious dogma, if you read it again, is criticized.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2015 2:31:13 PM

Question:

Answer:
None.

Explanation:

Result:

Conclusion:

The allegory doesn't require anyone to be a scientist. Shame you're unable to get that through your thick skull. But I'm glad you can laugh at your own stupidity.

But hey, if you're so sure you're right. We can always take this to the debate section. That is, if you still don't have your tail between your legs.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2015 2:32:30 PM
At 10/9/2015 12:26:54 PM, kp98 wrote:
Now I know not to click on threads with Kyle's name at the top, so it's not a complete waste.

Well, no, I wouldn't want you to waste your time with the truth. By all means, click on the idiocy instead.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2015 2:39:38 PM
At 10/9/2015 2:21:26 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:

Question:

Answer:
None.

Explanation:

Result:

Conclusion:

No, it's really a caricature of atheists who like to lord how scientific they are, despite the fact that there isn't really a scientific bone in their body. They believe the things they read, but the ones who like to point at science the most tend to be the the ones who don't perform experiments of their own. They are pretentious hypocrites.

Scientists who happen to be atheists? I wouldn't put them in the same category. The joke works better the other way.

I can't agree. The majority of my friends are atheists, and two are phenomenal scientists. Science does not rely on religion to make sense. Nor does God require us to be scientific to be righteous. Being scientific, however, does contribute to wisdom.

But this allegory isn't about science, it's about common sense.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2015 2:48:43 PM
At 10/9/2015 2:39:38 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

Question:

Answer:
None.

Explanation:

Result:

Conclusion:

I can't agree. The majority of my friends are atheists, and two are phenomenal scientists. Science does not rely on religion to make sense. Nor does God require us to be scientific to be righteous. Being scientific, however, does contribute to wisdom.

I don't think we are disagreeing, I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

I was saying that the joke works better when you have them as atheists(the way you put it at the start), not atheist scientists. Atheists who aren't scientists tend to be pretentious about how scientific they are.

Does a scientist need "compelling evidence" in order to perform an experiment? This is ludicrous, if that was the case, scientific advancement would not likely be where it is today.

The idea that atheism is the scientific position annoys me greatly, as it would any theologian who is passionate about science.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2015 3:29:39 PM
At 10/9/2015 2:48:43 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
I was saying that the joke works better when you have them as atheists(the way you put it at the start), not atheist scientists. Atheists who aren't scientists tend to be pretentious about how scientific they are.
Oh dear, oh my, oh howdy do.
This coming from a theologian whose study has never involved science at all.
LMFAO
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2015 3:34:54 PM
At 10/9/2015 3:29:39 PM, bulproof wrote:
LMFAO

Oh, if you only knew.....

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2015 3:43:03 PM
At 10/9/2015 3:34:54 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 10/9/2015 3:29:39 PM, bulproof wrote:
LMFAO

Oh, if you only knew.....

Oh yes sweety if I did. LOL.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2015 5:34:02 PM

Question:

Answer:
None.

Explanation:

Result:

Conclusion:

Does a scientist need "compelling evidence" in order to perform an experiment? This is ludicrous, if that was the case, scientific advancement would not likely be where it is today.

The idea that atheism is the scientific position annoys me greatly, as it would any theologian who is passionate about science.

The allegory does not mention "atheist scientists". The science and atheists are exclusive of each other. One does not need to be a scientist to screw in a light bulb.

Evidence has nothing to do with the allegory. Nor do I make any allusion toward atheism being a scientific position.

That all light bulbs do not work is common knowledge, and a fact. It's a very basic allegory.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2015 5:45:35 PM
At 10/9/2015 5:34:02 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

Question:

Answer:
None.

Explanation:

Result:

Conclusion:

The allegory does not mention "atheist scientists". The science and atheists are exclusive of each other. One does not need to be a scientist to screw in a light bulb.

Evidence has nothing to do with the allegory. Nor do I make any allusion toward atheism being a scientific position.

That all light bulbs do not work is common knowledge, and a fact. It's a very basic allegory.

...why do I bother....

dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2015 11:07:12 PM
At 10/9/2015 5:45:35 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:

...why do I bother....

Exactly. He's a jerk who argues with everyone just for the sake of it. You can point out his errors in words a 5-year old would understand and he will still obstinately argue away. He picked the wrong account name. It should be Kyle_The_Lunatic.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2015 2:21:48 AM
At 10/9/2015 5:34:02 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

Question:

Answer:
None.

Explanation:

Result:

Conclusion:

...why do I bother....

I understand what you're saying. You disagree with an atheistic approach to science.

I am pointing out that the allegory has little to do with science. It points at a thought process and attitude.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2015 2:24:10 AM
At 10/9/2015 11:07:12 PM, dee-em wrote:

...why do I bother....

Exactly. He's a jerk who argues with everyone just for the sake of it. You can point out his errors in words a 5-year old would understand and he will still obstinately argue away. He picked the wrong account name. It should be Kyle_The_Lunatic.

Better than dee-em the cowardly idiot.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2015 6:45:09 AM
At 10/10/2015 2:24:10 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

...why do I bother....

Ooh. What a zinger, Kyle_the_Lunatic. If we were back in the school playground that is. Have you saved it up all these years? Lol.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2015 7:16:21 AM
At 10/10/2015 6:45:09 AM, dee-em wrote:

...why do I bother....

Ooh. What a zinger, Kyle_the_Lunatic. If we were back in the school playground that is. Have you saved it up all these years? Lol.

...said the blatant hypocrite.

Still laughing at your own stupidity, I see.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2015 9:18:29 AM
At 10/10/2015 7:16:21 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

...why do I bother....

That's a little better, Kyle. Not much. If you keep this up maybe you will be promoted from the playground. Don't get your hopes up though. The insults are still only peurile and juvenile. Try harder. Ask your linguistics professor friend. I'm sure he could loan you a few adult insults. Lol.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2015 4:52:09 PM
At 10/10/2015 9:18:29 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 10/10/2015 7:16:21 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

...why do I bother....

That's a little better, Kyle. Not much. If you keep this up maybe you will be promoted from the playground. Don't get your hopes up though. The insults are still only peurile and juvenile. Try harder. Ask your linguistics professor friend. I'm sure he could loan you a few adult insults. Lol.

You sure like to hear yourself talk, don't you?