Total Posts:60|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

how many of you

GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 2:28:23 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 2:22:57 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
believe there is NO God. No sementics, a simple answer.

+1

and then,
Do you chose to disbelieve in him, or you are forced to disbelieve in him, because of lack of proof?

Neither. I don't choose to disbelieve nor am I forced to disbelieve. I simply disbelieve naturally, just like I naturally believe myself and the world around me is real.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
gerrandesquire
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 2:31:49 AM
Posted: 6 years ago

Neither. I don't choose to disbelieve nor am I forced to disbelieve. I simply disbelieve naturally, just like I naturally believe myself and the world around me is real.

I thought you were a christian once?
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 2:36:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 2:31:49 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:

Neither. I don't choose to disbelieve nor am I forced to disbelieve. I simply disbelieve naturally, just like I naturally believe myself and the world around me is real.

I thought you were a christian once?

Yes, I was and at the time, I had to be convinced through reasoned arguments that there was no God. Now that I am in a certain state of mind, I naturally disbelieve in God. The belief in God is something imposed on you that you have to put effort into believing in. It doesn't require much effort to disbelieve something.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 3:00:30 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 2:22:57 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
believe there is NO God. No sementics, a simple answer.

and then,
Do you chose to disbelieve in him, or you are forced to disbelieve in him, because of lack of proof?

1.) I am convinced there is no God.

2.) It's not a choice; you either do or you don't. I don't.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 5:26:44 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 2:22:57 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
believe there is NO God. No sementics, a simple answer.

and then,
Do you chose to disbelieve in him, or you are forced to disbelieve in him, because of lack of proof?

I don't believe in God, I don't believe because there is no proof, no reasonable grounds on which to base a belief in God upon. The characteristics of God seem unlikely. Most theistic religions are fatally flawed with inconsistencies and absurdities. Am I really to believe in a Man who is also a tripartite God telling me that pork is both forbidden and permitted, am I really to believe that God chose a failed Merchant with which to conquer the world.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 9:41:33 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 2:22:57 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
believe there is NO God. No sementics, a simple answer.

Not only does the simple idea of a God disturb me, but also adding that there is no proof and many theories that have shown evidence of alternative answers, I don't see a reason why I should believe in one.

and then,
Do you chose to disbelieve in him, or you are forced to disbelieve in him, because of lack of proof?

You can't really "force" atheism. I'm an atheist based off of my non-belief, yes. But it was completely my choice. Which makes it even better in my opinion.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 9:58:53 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 2:22:57 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
believe there is NO God. No sementics, a simple answer.

I think it's unlikely that God exists.

and then,
Do you chose to disbelieve in him, or you are forced to disbelieve in him, because of lack of proof?

Meh...I guess it might be nice to have a God. It doesn't bother me the way it does C_N or Kinesis, though.
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 10:09:57 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 2:22:57 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
believe there is NO God. No sementics, a simple answer.

and then,
Do you chose to disbelieve in him, or you are forced to disbelieve in him, because of lack of proof?

I'm not entirely sure that the statement "God exists" is meaningful in any way.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 10:11:15 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 2:28:23 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 9/18/2010 2:22:57 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
believe there is NO God. No sementics, a simple answer.

+1

and then,
Do you chose to disbelieve in him, or you are forced to disbelieve in him, because of lack of proof?

Neither. I don't choose to disbelieve nor am I forced to disbelieve. I simply disbelieve naturally, just like I naturally believe myself and the world around me is real.

if your blaming your belief on 'nature' then you quallify as 'forced' to deisbelieve as your disbelief is out of your hands. if its not your choice but 'natures' doing that a form of saying your forced to this belief.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 10:41:47 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 9:58:53 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 9/18/2010 2:22:57 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
believe there is NO God. No sementics, a simple answer.

I think it's unlikely that God exists.

and then,
Do you chose to disbelieve in him, or you are forced to disbelieve in him, because of lack of proof?

Meh...I guess it might be nice to have a God. It doesn't bother me the way it does C_N or Kinesis, though.

Well, it's quite a blow to find out that the giant cookies everyone else believes in don't exist.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 11:14:34 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 10:09:57 AM, Freeman wrote:
At 9/18/2010 2:22:57 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
believe there is NO God. No sementics, a simple answer.

and then,
Do you chose to disbelieve in him, or you are forced to disbelieve in him, because of lack of proof?

I'm not entirely sure that the statement "God exists" is meaningful in any way.

Okay Kai Nielsen. There's a reason why logical positivism isn't popular anymore....

;)
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 1:18:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At this point I'm not entirely sure God exists or not. I want to believe that he does and I lean towards theism. However, there's very little evidence to support either side of the debate so I don't really want to make any claims in either direction.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 1:34:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 1:18:28 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At this point I'm not entirely sure God exists or not. I want to believe that he does and I lean towards theism.

I want to believe in spaghetti because I love it. That's why I lean toward Pastafarianism. Obviously if we want something bad enough it's likely to be true.

However, there's very little evidence to support either side of the debate

o.O
President of DDO
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 1:37:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 1:34:51 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 9/18/2010 1:18:28 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At this point I'm not entirely sure God exists or not. I want to believe that he does and I lean towards theism.

I want to believe in spaghetti because I love it. That's why I lean toward Pastafarianism. Obviously if we want something bad enough it's likely to be true.

You're a Pastafarian Existentialist now? lol
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 1:38:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm an agnostic atheist: I disbelieve in god, but I believe there is no way to be absolutely certain.

In cases when we're talking about the Abarahamic god, I'm a gnostic atheist: I disbelieve in that god, but I'm certain we can be sure the god they describe doesn't exist (or at least note that they don't really know wtf that god is thinking -- divine revelation is for the lulz).
President of DDO
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 1:42:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 1:38:07 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I'm an agnostic atheist: I disbelieve in god, but I believe there is no way to be absolutely certain.

I'm going to be a complete n00b here, but I fail to see how you can be an "agnostic" while also being an atheist... Wouldn't you just be a De-Facto atheist?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Atheism
Posts: 2,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 1:47:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 2:22:57 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
believe there is NO God. No sementics, a simple answer.
-Looks at username-
and then,
Do you chose to disbelieve in him, or you are forced to disbelieve in him, because of lack of proof?
I disbelieve because of multiple reasons.
Theists have the B.o.P.
There are no good arguments for god.
I am not inclined to believe in him in the first place.
I miss the old members.
gerrandesquire
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 5:10:25 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 1:18:28 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At this point I'm not entirely sure God exists or not. I want to believe that he does and I lean towards theism. However, there's very little evidence to support either side of the debate so I don't really want to make any claims in either direction.

okay, so you are more like this?
http://www.hindustantimes.com...
gerrandesquire
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 5:14:51 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 1:38:07 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I'm an agnostic atheist: I disbelieve in god, but I believe there is no way to be absolutely certain.

if you're not absolutely certain about his existence/ or non existence, how can you disbelieve in him? Or are you sure you wouldn't believe in him even is He was present.
gerrandesquire
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 5:18:15 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 1:47:32 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/18/2010 2:22:57 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
believe there is NO God. No sementics, a simple answer.
-Looks at username-
and then,
Do you chose to disbelieve in him, or you are forced to disbelieve in him, because of lack of proof?
I disbelieve because of multiple reasons.
Theists have the B.o.P.
There are no good arguments for god.
I am not inclined to believe in him in the first place.

Do you pray? like really, suppose you are in a very tight situation, and you have no way of getting out. Do you subconsciously murmur -oh god, what am i supposed to do? help me and i'll donate ABC?"

please be truthful. I know this seems out of the blue, but i'm trying to understand something.
gerrandesquire
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 5:20:32 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 3:00:30 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 9/18/2010 2:22:57 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
believe there is NO God. No sementics, a simple answer.

and then,
Do you chose to disbelieve in him, or you are forced to disbelieve in him, because of lack of proof?

1.) I am convinced there is no God.

2.) It's not a choice; you either do or you don't. I don't.

it is a choice. And it will be a choice till we are certain of his existence/ non existence. Till then, it will be a choice, reflecting our philosophy, and our way of life.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 7:14:49 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/19/2010 5:14:51 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
At 9/18/2010 1:38:07 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I'm an agnostic atheist: I disbelieve in god, but I believe there is no way to be absolutely certain.

if you're not absolutely certain about his existence/ or non existence, how can you disbelieve in him? Or are you sure you wouldn't believe in him even is He was present.

We can't be abolutely certain that you exist, I can't be absolute certain that australia exists, I can't be absolute certain that the flying spagehetti monster exists. But based on avaliable evidence you do exist, australia exists, and the FSM does not.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 7:22:03 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/19/2010 7:14:49 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/19/2010 5:14:51 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
At 9/18/2010 1:38:07 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I'm an agnostic atheist: I disbelieve in god, but I believe there is no way to be absolutely certain.

if you're not absolutely certain about his existence/ or non existence, how can you disbelieve in him? Or are you sure you wouldn't believe in him even is He was present.

We can't be abolutely certain that you exist, I can't be absolute certain that australia exists, I can't be absolute certain that the flying spagehetti monster exists. But based on avaliable evidence you do exist, australia exists, and the FSM does not.

Ouch, harsh words for the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. :P

Anyways, gerrandesquire.... Even if Atheism was a choice like you believe, what are you trying to prove?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 11:17:28 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/19/2010 5:10:25 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
At 9/18/2010 1:18:28 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At this point I'm not entirely sure God exists or not. I want to believe that he does and I lean towards theism. However, there's very little evidence to support either side of the debate so I don't really want to make any claims in either direction.

okay, so you are more like this?
http://www.hindustantimes.com...

That sounds a bit like me, yes. I seem to be caught almost in the middle, but more towards theism although there's really no way of knowing for sure. I need God though so I strive to have stronger belief.
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 11:43:47 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/19/2010 5:20:32 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
At 9/18/2010 3:00:30 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 9/18/2010 2:22:57 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
believe there is NO God. No sementics, a simple answer.

and then,
Do you chose to disbelieve in him, or you are forced to disbelieve in him, because of lack of proof?

1.) I am convinced there is no God.

2.) It's not a choice; you either do or you don't. I don't.

it is a choice. And it will be a choice till we are certain of his existence/ non existence. Till then, it will be a choice, reflecting our philosophy, and our way of life.

I disagree; I don't think many people wake up one day and say to themselves: "you know what, today I am going to stop believing in God."

I think that people either get to a clear enough understanding of the nature of the world so that they simply can't beleive in God; or at least can't be sure. They don't chose to be that way.
Atheism
Posts: 2,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 12:02:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/19/2010 5:18:15 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
At 9/18/2010 1:47:32 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/18/2010 2:22:57 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
believe there is NO God. No sementics, a simple answer.
-Looks at username-
and then,
Do you chose to disbelieve in him, or you are forced to disbelieve in him, because of lack of proof?
I disbelieve because of multiple reasons.
Theists have the B.o.P.
There are no good arguments for god.
I am not inclined to believe in him in the first place.

Do you pray? like really, suppose you are in a very tight situation, and you have no way of getting out. Do you subconsciously murmur -oh god, what am i supposed to do? help me and i'll donate ABC?"
No. I mean, because I was raised to be religious, I might say, 'Oh my god,' like when something's retarded, or funny, but I never pray. Ever. Aside from that, I know praying does NOT work, so why even bother? Why would god answer my prayers and not those of starving children in Africa?
I miss the old members.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 2:24:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 2:22:57 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
believe there is NO God. No sementics, a simple answer.

and then,
Do you chose to disbelieve in him, or you are forced to disbelieve in him, because of lack of proof?:

Lack of proof, which should be the only reason necessary.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 2:46:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 1:42:50 PM, annhasle wrote:
I'm going to be a complete n00b here, but I fail to see how you can be an "agnostic" while also being an atheist... Wouldn't you just be a De-Facto atheist?


Same thing, really.
~~~

To answer OP:
I don't believe in gods because of lack of evidence, which is the only reason a person can 'not believe' in anything.

Belief isn't a choice. You can't arbitrayily choose to believe or not believe something, not really. That's not how it works.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 2:47:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/19/2010 2:46:06 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 9/18/2010 1:42:50 PM, annhasle wrote:
I'm going to be a complete n00b here, but I fail to see how you can be an "agnostic" while also being an atheist... Wouldn't you just be a De-Facto atheist?


Same thing, really.

That's what I thought, but I didn't want to make any assumptions. There's so many different "levels" of atheism and agnosticism these days... >.>
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.