Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

obama's religion

Rockylightning
Posts: 2,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 8:44:11 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
recently on the news, the subject of Of obama's religion being discussed a lot. Why does it matter? They say that "its important for our president to have a set of moral values" Being openly atheist at school and in public, i know that i have NO chane to be elected to public office. But the blatent disregard for one of our deepest and central values (separation of church and state) is crossing the line. Why WOULD it matter if obama is a moderate muslim? It's No better than being a moderate christian! In fact, bhuddism has more moral values than both of tese two. And the blatent lying of FOX news drives me insane! They actually played the video clip of Obama saying "your taxes are going to be raised by this spring" but the uncut video clip he actually says "if the bush administration had gone to plan..your taxes will be raised by this spring." seriously! It's almost like the changing of news from 'nineteen eighty four'.

opinions?
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 9:05:20 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Well, since Hitler claimed to be Christian and we take him on his word(not equivocating Hitler and Obama, but referencing another thread), certainly we should take Obama's word for being a Christian. Besides, his anti-gay marriage stance would be in line with his Christianity.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 9:09:33 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
First: I think this fits better under politics.

Second: I completely hate the fact that only christians seem to have any chance of being elected, as you said its no better than being muslim, and not even as good as buddhist. As long as no laws get passed that are purely religious then there is no problem. I think we do need to switch up and get an atheist in office to get rid of all the victimless crimes. <such as prostitution, may be against your religion, but no one would be forcing you to participate, something many christians don't believe>
And plus, so what if he is Muslim, Christian, Atheist or whatever, his worth as a president should be measured by how well he does his job. So far I'm pretty sure he's the least bad president we've had in a good 50 years. The others, including W, get re-elected, so there is no real reason why he shouldn't.

Third: FOX news and other places will always be on the verge of lying.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 9:58:32 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 9:09:33 AM, lovelife wrote:
I think we do need to switch up and get an atheist in office to get rid of all the victimless crimes. <such as prostitution, may be against your religion, but no one would be forcing you to participate, something many christians don't believe>

you know children in middle school choosing to smoke is a victimless crime yet I support keeping it against the law to sell tobacco to them. or alcoholic beverages for that matter.

it shouldnt matter where the taboo for having prostitution allowed in your culture came from, it should still be stoped by law. it being wrong to own another person comes out of moral value, but its good we made slavery illegal. you may say 'well yeah but that is victimless' but its only victimless by the same standard that 'getting ripped off at the car dealership' is victimless. indentured servitude was allowed to be legal and it changed culture to tolerate slavery and even depend on until some good people stood up against it.
likewise you cant tolerate prostitution as legal either. It has already lead to bring slavery back to America as is.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 10:15:48 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
you know children in middle school choosing to smoke is a victimless crime yet I support keeping it against the law to sell tobacco to them. or alcoholic beverages for that matter.

Nah I think they should make informed choices, not forced by law. Then again my aunt was like my second mom and told me that if I ever felt the need to drink or smoke or have sex she would
1) <for drinking> allow me to in her house but not leave the use <same goes for pot> and said that after one try at it I wouldn't really want to again
2) Very similar to one except she said she'd make me smoke a whole carton.
3) Again let me in her house and provide condoms and stuff and advised against cars.
Course that was all when I was 12, and I haven't done any of the above even knowing that I could <not sure where she got her pot from. She said its causse she has health problems but I don't think they have medical marijuana in Oklahoma. Whatever lmoa>

it shouldnt matter where the taboo for having prostitution allowed in your culture came from, it should still be stoped by law.

Why?

it being wrong to own another person comes out of moral value, but its good we made slavery illegal. you may say 'well yeah but that is victimless' but its only victimless by the same standard that 'getting ripped off at the car dealership' is victimless.

No, if people choose to sell sex it should be their choice. If it was run by the government illegal sex trades would greatly decline. The government could at least insure that everyone working in that area would have STD check, the illegal ones couldn't.

indentured servitude was allowed to be legal and it changed culture to tolerate slavery and even depend on until some good people stood up against it.

I'm not saying rape should be allowed. I do support indentured servititude as long as it is
1) Consentual
2) They can pay off their time if they make enough money

likewise you cant tolerate prostitution as legal either.

Why not?

It has already lead to bring slavery back to America as is.

What hookers? Not really, just the illegality of it.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 10:43:39 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 10:15:48 AM, lovelife wrote:
you know children in middle school choosing to smoke is a victimless crime yet I support keeping it against the law to sell tobacco to them. or alcoholic beverages for that matter.

Nah I think they should make informed choices, not forced by law. Then again my aunt was like my second mom and told me that if I ever felt the need to drink or smoke or have sex she would
1) <for drinking> allow me to in her house but not leave the use <same goes for pot> and said that after one try at it I wouldn't really want to again
2) Very similar to one except she said she'd make me smoke a whole carton.
3) Again let me in her house and provide condoms and stuff and advised against cars.
Course that was all when I was 12, and I haven't done any of the above even knowing that I could <not sure where she got her pot from. She said its causse she has health problems but I don't think they have medical marijuana in Oklahoma. Whatever lmoa>

it shouldnt matter where the taboo for having prostitution allowed in your culture came from, it should still be stoped by law.

Why?

it being wrong to own another person comes out of moral value, but its good we made slavery illegal. you may say 'well yeah but that is victimless' but its only victimless by the same standard that 'getting ripped off at the car dealership' is victimless.

No, if people choose to sell sex it should be their choice. If it was run by the government illegal sex trades would greatly decline. The government could at least insure that everyone working in that area would have STD check, the illegal ones couldn't.

indentured servitude was allowed to be legal and it changed culture to tolerate slavery and even depend on until some good people stood up against it.

I'm not saying rape should be allowed. I do support indentured servititude as long as it is
1) Consentual
2) They can pay off their time if they make enough money

likewise you cant tolerate prostitution as legal either.

Why not?
indintured servitude was tolorated. observed effects incude;
1) indentured servitude morphs into slavery.
2) nuff said.
even if on some philosophic ground you as an individual should have a right to enter such an agreement our culture near tore itself in two during the civil war over the cause and effects of allowing indentured servitude.

It has already lead to bring slavery back to America as is.

What hookers? Not really, just the illegality of it.

No, not hookers. bonifide slaves http://today.msnbc.msn.com...
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 11:04:28 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 10:43:39 AM, Marauder wrote:
At 9/18/2010 10:15:48 AM, lovelife wrote:
you know children in middle school choosing to smoke is a victimless crime yet I support keeping it against the law to sell tobacco to them. or alcoholic beverages for that matter.

Nah I think they should make informed choices, not forced by law. Then again my aunt was like my second mom and told me that if I ever felt the need to drink or smoke or have sex she would
1) <for drinking> allow me to in her house but not leave the use <same goes for pot> and said that after one try at it I wouldn't really want to again
2) Very similar to one except she said she'd make me smoke a whole carton.
3) Again let me in her house and provide condoms and stuff and advised against cars.
Course that was all when I was 12, and I haven't done any of the above even knowing that I could <not sure where she got her pot from. She said its causse she has health problems but I don't think they have medical marijuana in Oklahoma. Whatever lmoa>

it shouldnt matter where the taboo for having prostitution allowed in your culture came from, it should still be stoped by law.

Why?

it being wrong to own another person comes out of moral value, but its good we made slavery illegal. you may say 'well yeah but that is victimless' but its only victimless by the same standard that 'getting ripped off at the car dealership' is victimless.

No, if people choose to sell sex it should be their choice. If it was run by the government illegal sex trades would greatly decline. The government could at least insure that everyone working in that area would have STD check, the illegal ones couldn't.

indentured servitude was allowed to be legal and it changed culture to tolerate slavery and even depend on until some good people stood up against it.

I'm not saying rape should be allowed. I do support indentured servititude as long as it is
1) Consentual
2) They can pay off their time if they make enough money

likewise you cant tolerate prostitution as legal either.

Why not?
indintured servitude was tolorated. observed effects incude;
1) indentured servitude morphs into slavery.
2) nuff said.
even if on some philosophic ground you as an individual should have a right to enter such an agreement our culture near tore itself in two during the civil war over the cause and effects of allowing indentured servitude.


Thats only because they took the will of it away. I'm against anyone infringing on other's free will unless it harms a non-consenting party <directly> Banning prostitution does that. So does forcing it.

It has already lead to bring slavery back to America as is.

What hookers? Not really, just the illegality of it.

No, not hookers. bonifide slaves http://today.msnbc.msn.com...

Most likely what I already addressed. Clicking links makes my comp slow and not type right so unless I need to I wont. Just answer if its basically what I already addressed. If not explain how its different.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 12:23:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 9:05:20 AM, innomen wrote:
Well, since Hitler claimed to be Christian and we take him on his word(not equivocating Hitler and Obama, but referencing another thread), certainly we should take Obama's word for being a Christian. Besides, his anti-gay marriage stance would be in line with his Christianity.

Actually, Obama hates Christianity. In this video, he sounds like Christopher Hitchens.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 12:30:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 12:23:21 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 9/18/2010 9:05:20 AM, innomen wrote:
Well, since Hitler claimed to be Christian and we take him on his word(not equivocating Hitler and Obama, but referencing another thread), certainly we should take Obama's word for being a Christian. Besides, his anti-gay marriage stance would be in line with his Christianity.

Actually, Obama hates Christianity. In this video, he sounds like Christopher Hitchens.

I don't think he hates Christianity, but I do think he dislikes the idea that the US is a "Christian Nation". He probably is also sick of seeing American politics be dominated by religious motives instead of secular reason. And I agree with almost every point he made.

But he did remind me of Christopher Hitchens....
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 12:38:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I posted recently a poll that said 1/3 Americans feel a Muslim should not be permitted to run for President.

That kind of bigotry, intolerance and overall stupidity is why this issue even matters (and psst - he's sadly a Christian).
President of DDO
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 1:10:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 12:38:38 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I posted recently a poll that said 1/3 Americans feel a Muslim should not be permitted to run for President.

That kind of bigotry, intolerance and overall stupidity is why this issue even matters (and psst - he's sadly a Christian).

It is quite sad that it matters to anyone, especially 1/3 of americans. I don't know why it should matter.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Atheism
Posts: 2,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 1:19:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 12:38:38 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I posted recently a poll that said 1/3 Americans feel a Muslim should not be permitted to run for President.

That kind of bigotry, intolerance and overall stupidity is why this issue even matters (and psst - he's sadly a Christian).

Well said (aside from that last part, people may start to rant).
However, his focus on secularism gets him back into my high books. He can worship whatever he wants, just as long as it doesn't get into our legal system.
I miss the old members.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 1:22:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 1:20:04 PM, juvanya wrote:
I think hes an atheist masquerading as a Christian.

Really, I don't give a flying fvck what religion he subscribes to. If he's a theist, okay. If he's an atheist, okay. As long as he keeps the government secular, I'm happy. And if the 1/3 of America that values bigotry more than equality could fact check or at least learn what facts are, I'd be even more happy.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 1:23:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 1:20:04 PM, juvanya wrote:
I think hes an atheist masquerading as a Christian.

Hmm...he could be, considering you won't get elected as the US president unless you're a Christian.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 1:29:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Marauder, slavery is taking someone against their will to work for you. Prostitution is choosing to have sex with people for money.

Big difference.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 1:32:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 1:29:12 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Marauder, slavery is taking someone against their will to work for you. Prostitution is choosing to have sex with people for money.

Big difference.

With illegal prostitution in many cases there's a fine line in the difference.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 1:47:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 1:32:56 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/18/2010 1:29:12 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Marauder, slavery is taking someone against their will to work for you. Prostitution is choosing to have sex with people for money.

Big difference.

With illegal prostitution in many cases there's a fine line in the difference.

If it is not willing it's Slavery. Consent is key.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 9:42:44 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/18/2010 1:47:23 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/18/2010 1:32:56 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/18/2010 1:29:12 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Marauder, slavery is taking someone against their will to work for you. Prostitution is choosing to have sex with people for money.

Big difference.

With illegal prostitution in many cases there's a fine line in the difference.

If it is not willing it's Slavery. Consent is key.

Panda; my point was how it starts. it starts as an act of consent and evolves into a detestible form of slavery. indentured servitude is by consent. that was allowed and it turned into slavery. prostitution gets supported and now there are sex slaves brought into america (against consent)
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 9:48:32 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I think there are many many cases where prostitutes are unable to leave their pimp out of reasons of - coercion, extortion, and eventually an acceptance that there are no other options. Sort of a soft slavery i guess. That's why legal prostitution would be better, as such illegal influences will be lessened.