Jump to topic:

Are Christians Cannibals?

Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 3:33:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Technically since they eat the body and drink the blood of Yeshua of Nazareth, would they be considered cannibals, I understand that it is bread and wine, but they believe that that *is* the body and blood of Christ. So then from a Christian's perspective, they would be cannibals.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 3:35:53 PM
At 10/14/2015 3:33:38 PM, Hayd wrote:
Technically since they eat the body and drink the blood of Yeshua of Nazareth, would they be considered cannibals, I understand that it is bread and wine, but they believe that that *is* the body and blood of Christ. So then from a Christian's perspective, they would be cannibals.

Yes, those denominations that partake in Communion do practice ritual cannibalism, symbolically eating of Christ's flesh and drinking of his blood with the communion wafer and wine respectively. The Christian Bible's depiction of the Last Supper is quite specific about it.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 3:43:41 PM
At 10/14/2015 3:35:53 PM, dhardage wrote:

Yes, those denominations that partake in Communion do practice ritual cannibalism, symbolically eating of Christ's flesh and drinking of his blood with the communion wafer and wine respectively. The Christian Bible's depiction of the Last Supper is quite specific about it.

What is "ritual cannibalism" as opposed to just plain old "cannibalism"?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 3:48:03 PM
At 10/14/2015 3:43:41 PM, annanicole wrote:

I suppose ritual would be during a religious gathering/ceremony in which cannibalism is done for their god(s). Regular cannibalism would be a general term for whenever you are eating another human, whether it be for survival,
Etc.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 4:01:29 PM
At 10/14/2015 3:48:03 PM, Hayd wrote:

I suppose ritual would be during a religious gathering/ceremony in which cannibalism is done for their god(s). Regular cannibalism would be a general term for whenever you are eating another human, whether it be for survival,
Etc.

Exactly. It's not something that is done on an everyday, out in the home and street basis, but as part of the celebration of a religious rite that makes it 'ritual' and since they don't actually have any of Christ's blood or flesh, it's also symbolic. The Catholic church calls it the Miracle of Transubstantiation and declare that the wafer actually becomes the flesh and the wine becomes the blood during the taking of Communion.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 4:03:12 PM

You would think that this has never been brought up... Oh wait the Jews did right when Jesus said it...

http://www.thecatholicthing.org...
http://www.catholic.com...

If you want to talk on the points brought up in there let me know.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 4:11:28 PM

Etc.

Pfffft. Young couples drink wine as a symbol of their love, i. e. to bring to their recollection their love for each other. If the same faulty reasoning were employed, I guess they are "cannibalizing" an emotion.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 4:12:47 PM
At 10/14/2015 4:01:29 PM, dhardage wrote:

Etc.

Exactly. It's not something that is done on an everyday, out in the home and street basis, but as part of the celebration of a religious rite that makes it 'ritual' and since they don't actually have any of Christ's blood or flesh, it's also symbolic.

Then by your definition, "ritual cannibalism" is merely "occasional cannibalism on a schedule." SMH
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 4:57:14 PM
At 10/14/2015 4:12:47 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 10/14/2015 4:01:29 PM, dhardage wrote:

Etc.

Exactly. It's not something that is done on an everyday, out in the home and street basis, but as part of the celebration of a religious rite that makes it 'ritual' and since they don't actually have any of Christ's blood or flesh, it's also symbolic.

Then by your definition, "ritual cannibalism" is merely "occasional cannibalism on a schedule." SMH

You failed to mention as part of a religious rite or ceremony. It's only carried out in the context of the faith and in no other part of the lives of the participants.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 5:11:51 PM

Christians are spiritual cannibals. Atheists and Christians both cannabalize each other spiritually on this forum. Yum...
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 5:45:57 PM

I don't think they are cannibals, at least if they believe as Bible teaches.

Drinking wine and eating bread is not same as eating physical flesh and blood. And I think disciples of Jesus understand that.

On basis of these scriptures I would say that the words of Jesus are the "bread" and his spirit is the "wine".

So Jesus told them, "Truly, truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life in yourselves.
John 6:53

But Jesus, knowing in himself that his disciples were grumbling about this, said to them, "Does this offend you?
John. 6:61

It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is useless. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.
John 6:63

Truly, truly I tell you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death at all."
John. 8:51
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 5:55:29 PM
At 10/14/2015 5:45:57 PM, 12_13 wrote:

Drinking wine and eating bread is not same as eating physical flesh and blood. And I think disciples of Jesus understand that.

On basis of these scriptures I would say that the words of Jesus are the "bread" and his spirit is the "wine".

So Jesus told them, "Truly, truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life in yourselves.

But Jesus, knowing in himself that his disciples were grumbling about this, said to them, "Does this offend you?

It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is useless. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.

Truly, truly I tell you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death at all."

Those quotations do not prove your point whatsoever. If you truly believe yourself right then explain how these quotations prove your point, if anything they prove me right.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 5:59:30 PM
At 10/14/2015 5:55:29 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 10/14/2015 5:45:57 PM, 12_13 wrote:

Those quotations do not prove your point whatsoever. If you truly believe yourself right then explain how these quotations prove your point, if anything they prove me right.

He is trying to deny that Jesus was saying that the bread and wine are truly body and blood. Your argument is directed only against Catholics and Orthodox, and possibly high Anglicans. This is the major denial of Protestantism.
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 8:00:07 PM

We do come into physical contact with Him. He joins us in a unique form of spiritual union, but we don't metabolize Him, nor does He die again (required for cannibalism).
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
olivetwo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 6:55:25 AM

I guess this is the particular that you are talking about pal...
"Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him." John 6:56

Well, i might say Hayd that you are no different to those folk that say in verse 60 " 60 On hearing it, many of his disciples said, "This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?"

You don't understand what you are reading pal, so sorry to read this. Anyway this is the answer to your confusion.

"The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life." Think of this....

Cannibalism is not a practice of early Christians FYI Hayd, I know you know that. But you just denying it.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 2:26:01 PM
At 10/15/2015 6:55:25 AM, olivetwo wrote:

I guess this is the particular that you are talking about pal...
"Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him." John 6:56

Well, i might say Hayd that you are no different to those folk that say in verse 60 " 60 On hearing it, many of his disciples said, "This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?"

You don't understand what you are reading pal, so sorry to read this. Anyway this is the answer to your confusion.

"The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life." Think of this....

Cannibalism is not a practice of early Christians FYI Hayd, I know you know that. But you just denying it.

Ok...pal. Let me explain this to you nice and slow,
1) Christians believe that the body and blood of Yeshua of Nazareth was magically transformed into wafers and wine.
2) Every Sunday Christians eat a little bread and wine which represents the body and flesh and Yeshua of Nazareth.
3) Now, Christians either thing that what they are eating is wafers and wine, and merely represents Yeshua of Nazareth, so merely symbolic cannibalism. Or they think it is actually the transformation of body and blood, and full out cannabilism. Quoting the Bible and saying I'm confused 4 times doesn't show you are right pal
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 2:34:52 PM

Not all Christians believe in transubstantiation, you know. Luther and Zwingli derided it, and most Protestants see communion as purely symbolic. They don't think that the bread and wine are literally the flesh and blood of Christ.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 2:35:54 PM
At 10/15/2015 2:34:52 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Not all Christians believe in transubstantiation, you know. Luther and Zwingli derided it, and most Protestants see communion as purely symbolic. They don't think that the bread and wine are literally the flesh and blood of Christ.

True, christians(except what skep said)
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 3:14:34 PM
At 10/15/2015 2:35:54 PM, Hayd wrote:

Kinda confused as to why this is still being discussed. dsjpk5 and myself have given adequate responses from those who do actually believe in transubstantiation.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 3:19:10 PM
At 10/15/2015 3:14:34 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Kinda confused as to why this is still being discussed. dsjpk5 and myself have given adequate responses from those who do actually believe in transubstantiation.

Obviously you are confused. well done for fessing up.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 7:01:31 PM
At 10/15/2015 3:19:10 PM, desmac wrote:

Obviously. He is continuing on conversations with everyone except those who actually believe in transubstantiation... bizarre.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 8:03:42 PM
At 10/14/2015 5:55:29 PM, Hayd wrote:

What do you think this means?

I don"t see how that could mean anything other than flesh (physical body) is useless, not something that saves.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 8:25:15 PM
At 10/15/2015 7:01:31 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Obviously. He is continuing on conversations with everyone except those who actually believe in transubstantiation... bizarre.

Maybe that is why he started the thread, to gain a variety of opinions.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 9:09:16 PM
At 10/14/2015 8:00:07 PM, dsjpk5 wrote:

We do come into physical contact with Him. He joins us in a unique form of spiritual union, but we don't metabolize Him, nor does He die again (required for cannibalism).

If you swallow it, you metabolize it. The wafer and wine go into your digestive system and it's processed just like any other material you swallow. Dying while being eaten is not a requirement for cannibalism, just consuming the body of another of your own species. I reference you to the Donner party for that last bit. The people they ate died of exposure, they were not killed for food, but those that ate them are still cannibals.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 9:54:27 PM

That would make Christians "Spiritual Cannibals" and because it limits them to the body of Christ; Muslims, atheists and others are safe from this ritualistic cannibalism.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 10:39:15 PM
Evotards cannibalize their ancestry ever day. That's the beauty of "all" evolving from that same single cell. Oh wait, time and shape and mutation changes cannibalism to eating that which is the same "species". (Word derived from conceptualizing currents shapes of life, not interconnected life as evotards assert) Lets ignore the viewpoint from where it began to "lets just consider where everything currently is". Lets instead ignore the "where we all came from" and start in the middle of the circle for our ridiculous moronic argument. Illogical garbage concocted from the mind of the logically inept. And Anna had a good point, the drinking of wine is cannibalizing emotions(by your train of thought hayd),, lmao. Where do you demented morons come up with these ridiculous interpretations of spiritual teachings specifically taught in the metaphorical sense? Oh yeh, incompetents blinded by childish egos come up with this crap.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 10:41:28 PM
At 10/15/2015 8:25:15 PM, desmac wrote:

That is ridiculous. It is like arguing that people who believe in the B Theory of time must believe that time travel exists. Yet some people state that they believe in A Theory of time with whom he argues that B Theory of time implies the existence of time travel. Instead of discussing with those who believe in the B Theory of time but deny that time travel is possible.

Just nonsensical.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 11:03:39 PM
At 10/15/2015 10:41:28 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 10/15/2015 8:25:15 PM, desmac wrote:

That is ridiculous. It is like arguing that people who believe in the B Theory of time must believe that time travel exists. Yet some people state that they believe in A Theory of time with whom he argues that B Theory of time implies the existence of time travel. Instead of discussing with those who believe in the B Theory of time but deny that time travel is possible.

Just nonsensical.

That is why cannibals kill their victims befire eating them so they don't have to listen to their screaming BS.
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 12:38:19 AM
At 10/15/2015 9:09:16 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 10/14/2015 8:00:07 PM, dsjpk5 wrote:

If you swallow it, you metabolize it.

Not if He ceases to exist in the hosts after consumption.

The wafer and wine go into your digestive system and it's processed just like any other material you swallow. Dying while being eaten is not a requirement for cannibalism, just consuming the body of another of your own species. I reference you to the Donner party for that last bit. The people they ate died of exposure, they were not killed for food, but those that ate them are still cannibals.

Fair enough. Doesn't change the central argument of mine.
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
Berend
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 1:41:50 AM

If those that do such things, like Catholics, and based on their belief that they think they are literally eating his flesh and drinking his blood, than they could be considered potential ones. But they're not, so no, they're not actually cannibals. They have to actually eat the flesh and even practice it to be such. They're pseudo-cannibals.