Jump to topic:

religion is adaptive?

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 2:41:27 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
She may be clever, but her allusions to viruses was so obviously flawed that I dismissed it years ago.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 2:54:50 AM
A big part of the reason I changed to UU. I don't see religion itself as the problem anymore. Religion can lead to good ends or bad ends. I should just be focused on those ends instead of religion.

She points out that religious people tend to be more generous but might I add that non-religious people tend to be more liberal and endorse more social-welfare which is simply an organized version. And other studies suggest that non-religious people are less violent and have more successful marriages.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 2:58:26 AM
At 9/20/2010 2:54:50 AM, FREEDO wrote:
A big part of the reason I changed to UU.

I thought that was a joke church.

Naah I didn't... just trolling. I just don't get it.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 9:41:50 AM
A big part of the reason I changed to UU. I don't see religion itself as the problem anymore. Religion can lead to good ends or bad ends. I should just be focused on those ends instead of religion.

She points out that religious people tend to be more generous but might I add that non-religious people tend to be more liberal and endorse more social-welfare which is simply an organized version. And other studies suggest that non-religious people are less violent and have more successful marriages.

Freedo, have you actually been to a UU service? They're the silliest waste of time i have ever spent in a "church". It's also the whitest waspiest bunch of elitists i've ever spent time with. - Don't get me wrong, they're not bad people, but i just don't understand the point.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 9:56:53 AM
At 9/20/2010 2:58:26 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
A big part of the reason I changed to UU.

I thought that was a joke church.

Naah I didn't... just trolling. I just don't get it.

I lol'd
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 10:09:53 AM

She points out that religious people tend to be more generous but might I add that non-religious people tend to be more liberal and endorse more social-welfare which is simply an organized version.

right because we religious people aren't organized at all (said sarcastically before providing link that shows our organized relief efforts.) http://new.gbgm-umc.org...

I know I can speak for my church (UMC) that they are incredibly organized when it comes to charity. not a disaster has gone by that didn't immediately have a special offering for providing relief to just that disaster. even ones that didn't make the news that I knew nothing about until the Sunday morning they took up the offering.

not to mention the monthly donations to Holstein Homes for children. http://www.umhcservices.com...

when religious people hold meeting most of the meeting time is taken up by just thinking up what needs of their community needs aid and planing how to do it. whether it involves finding funds to purchase food to send to seniors or labor of people to volunteer to put together shut-ins.

it's not all missionary 'spreading the word'. in fact I would say its not even mostly that that we do. criticize the rationality of our beliefs but don't think we are not very organized in our donations to charities, running charities, and generally anything else the community needs support in.

'Welfare' does not even come close to being a peer in 'organized generousness' of what religious people put together.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 10:27:33 AM
She points out that religious people tend to be more generous but might I add that non-religious people tend to be more liberal and endorse more social-welfare which is simply an organized version.

So you're saying that religious people tend to be more generous with their money, and non-religious people tend to be more generous with other people's money?
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 10:30:34 AM
At 9/20/2010 10:27:33 AM, LaissezFaire wrote:

So you're saying that religious people tend to be more generous with their money, and non-religious people tend to be more generous with other people's money?

10/10 win ;)
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 10:37:54 AM
At 9/20/2010 10:30:34 AM, Marauder wrote:

10/10 win ;)

No, not win.

Supporting social programs isn't just being generous with other peoples money, the money comes from your taxes as well.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 10:40:52 AM
At 9/20/2010 10:37:54 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

10/10 win ;)

No, not win.

Supporting social programs isn't just being generous with other peoples money, the money comes from your taxes as well.

Did you even think about that before you typed it?
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 10:47:11 AM
At 9/19/2010 8:11:15 PM, belle wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk...

what do you guys think?

Sounds reasonable. It's been known for quite some time that religiosity has certain psychological benefits. Although, the overall impact of religion on human lives at the macro level, as opposed to the individual benefits to each person seems pretty negative to me.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 11:09:21 AM

10/10 win ;)

No, not win.

So instead of being generous with JUST MY MONEY I could support social programs to be generous with some of that and other peoples money? all the while this portion of my money and other peoples money is managed by proven incompetent people with money http://www.usdebtclock.org... ?

FAIL

A Scout is Obedient.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 11:59:28 AM

10/10 win ;)

No, not win.

lmao, Geo. The vast majority of it comes from other people; stop playing semantics.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 6:37:47 PM

lol @ this
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...