Jump to topic:

Not an attack on atheism

John_Royals
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 7:25:44 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Sincerely I am just a curious Humanist, who shares a common disbelief that a God exists. But what does that entail beyond the disbelief? I say this because anytime I engage or view religious forums/discussion on Atheism, all I see is Atheists criticizing Christianity and other Theists with heavy fervor. So is it just a movement at this point? Is it an anti-religion? Is it a personal position on a subject? If so, what compels anything you do? Just enjoying the state of being one that disbelieves in Gods? I guess i'm just not sure what the ends are to means of this way of thinking. All I have seen is just unfiltered approaches to disproving Gods and creation. An example I would use is, a Scientist is one who delves into a deeper understanding of something out of curiosity and tests their theories with experimentation until it can be repeated with very marginal error. They are something, that has a reason, purpose, and justification. Atheism has a purpose, but what reason or justification?

I just want to know more about Atheists, I know there is no real organization in doctrine or whatever you want to call it. So, what is Atheism? It's such a hard question, I guess any information would be relevant. And hopefully, and i'll bold this and underline for emphasis: I don't want this to become a debate on religion. I just want to know more about Atheism, I don't believe or care about Gods and Deities, creation or mysticism or anything pertaining to them. Just want a discussion on Atheism.
Hitchian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 8:18:00 AM
At 10/17/2015 7:25:44 AM, John_Royals wrote:
Sincerely I am just a curious Humanist, who shares a common disbelief that a God exists. But what does that entail beyond the disbelief? I say this because anytime I engage or view religious forums/discussion on Atheism, all I see is Atheists criticizing Christianity and other Theists with heavy fervor. So is it just a movement at this point? Is it an anti-religion? Is it a personal position on a subject? If so, what compels anything you do? Just enjoying the state of being one that disbelieves in Gods? I guess i'm just not sure what the ends are to means of this way of thinking. All I have seen is just unfiltered approaches to disproving Gods and creation. An example I would use is, a Scientist is one who delves into a deeper understanding of something out of curiosity and tests their theories with experimentation until it can be repeated with very marginal error. They are something, that has a reason, purpose, and justification. Atheism has a purpose, but what reason or justification?

I just want to know more about Atheists, I know there is no real organization in doctrine or whatever you want to call it. So, what is Atheism? It's such a hard question, I guess any information would be relevant. And hopefully, and i'll bold this and underline for emphasis: I don't want this to become a debate on religion. I just want to know more about Atheism, I don't believe or care about Gods and Deities, creation or mysticism or anything pertaining to them. Just want a discussion on Atheism.

It's not easy for me to understand how, somehow, you seem to have missed the memo that's been circulating for quite the while now despite your immersion in these debates.

Simply put, atheism is the lack of belief in God. From there onward, a plethora of philosophical divergent stances radiate. You can be an atheist and a Satanist, or a Daoist, or a Zen Buddhist, or a secularist and a humanist.

As for criticizing monotheistic religions with heavy fervour, for starters, what is wrong with "heavy fervor"? It is notwithstanding an observation and an opinion on form rather than substance. Regarding the latter, it doesn't take an expert to realize the profound impact of Christianity and Islam in the world today, a large portion of which is extremely negative.

Both Christianity and Islam are terrible ideas. We need to be able to criticize bad ideas, as Sam Harris puts it, for that is the engine of progress.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 9:15:16 AM

If you share a common disbelief that God exists then you are an atheist. It's strange that you are asking about atheism when you are one yourself.

To answer your question though, and I can't speak for other atheists, I'm here because I find the beliefs of theists childish and ridiculously irrational. I don't like to see my fellow human beings living in delusion so I try and enlighten them. Also theists cannot seem to separate their religion from secular matters and institutions. They keep wanting to encroach. If they kept their beliefs to themselves there might be less pushback from atheists. However they insist on trying to impose their primitive, outdated ideas in our schools, in health/medicine, in private sexual preferences and in politics. Of course atheists are going to call them out.
John_Royals
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 9:25:42 AM
I never really considered that which makes OP sound foolish. I do understand that Christian invasion of public matters of governance is a huge block towards advancement as a democracy. I can see why there is a strong fervor. I wasn't trying to be judgmental, if you are passionate about something then speak it. I was just curious to understand it, because Atheism is being associated with things that aren't true. I guess in unified theory Christians all have a singular common ground, where as the nature of Atheism; we all have different ideas with the common ground being the disbelief of theism. It appears I was thinking too critically of a simple answer. Thank you both for your replies though. I just like talking about ideology and philosophy. Nobody I can directly associate with really have the passion I do for such matters so I don't really get to talk about these things often.
ken1122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 10:05:21 AM

Actually Atheism shouldn't even be a word! We don't have words for people who don't believe in Santa clause, Lockness Monster, Big Foot or any other myth do we? But because we live in a society where God belief is very common, if you apply the same skepticism to God that you apply to everything else, all of a sudden everybody wants to give you a name. This makes no sense to me because at no other instance do we label those who adopt the default position.
Atheist, initially a pejorative; is labeled at those who don't believe in God. Whether that is an active denial or a simple lack of belief, it is all put under the Umbrella of Atheism. There is no structure, organization, or set of rules to be atheist; even though there are structures, organizations, and even religions that are atheist in nature; I believe you mentioned "humanist" as one of them, but none of those active beliefs are necessary to be atheist.

Ken