Jump to topic:

I Find It Quite Telling...

dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2015 2:27:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
...that the Republican Presidential candidates are campaigning in so-called megachurches. These organizations are supposed to be politically neutral since they are tax exempt but it appears that this, like other laws they don't like, they can just ignore.

http://www.msn.com...
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2015 2:41:59 PM
At 10/19/2015 2:27:33 PM, dhardage wrote:
...that the Republican Presidential candidates are campaigning in so-called megachurches. These organizations are supposed to be politically neutral since they are tax exempt but it appears that this, like other laws they don't like, they can just ignore.

Every citizen has a right, some would say duty to paricipate in the political process. Tax exempt says nothing about being politically nuetral. The law states politics can not be the organizations sole purpose.

This is how big wealthy 'charities' get so much money and donate to political candidates. As long as they spend 51 percent of the money on nonpolitical agendas they retain tax exempt status.

Ofcourse there are other loop holes that allow crime families like the Clinton's to run thier 'charity' tax exempt with most 'expenses' going into thier pockets.

It's simply an erroneous to think tax exempt equates to nonpolitical. If you are upset over tax exempt you should be outraged that so many businesses and school districts get tax funded payouts that they turn around and use to support political campaigns. That's the incumbent government using money from the citizens to fund thier reelection.

But I guess to you the truth matters little when compared to attacking believers.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2015 2:46:49 PM
At 10/19/2015 2:41:59 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Every citizen has a right, some would say duty to paricipate in the political process. Tax exempt says nothing about being politically nuetral. The law states politics can not be the organizations sole purpose.

This is how big wealthy 'charities' get so much money and donate to political candidates. As long as they spend 51 percent of the money on nonpolitical agendas they retain tax exempt status.

Ofcourse there are other loop holes that allow crime families like the Clinton's to run thier 'charity' tax exempt with most 'expenses' going into thier pockets.

It's simply an erroneous to think tax exempt equates to nonpolitical. If you are upset over tax exempt you should be outraged that so many businesses and school districts get tax funded payouts that they turn around and use to support political campaigns. That's the incumbent government using money from the citizens to fund thier reelection.

But I guess to you the truth matters little when compared to attacking believers.

Read the tax code. The chapter that allows religious bodies to be exempt from taxes is very specific about not endorsing or promoting any political candidate. The members have all the rights of any other citizen but a church, synagogue, or other religious body does not. Chapter 501c3 of the tax code should be informative.
Hitchian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2015 2:57:56 PM

They're continuing that long and noble tradition of some established religions which will readily act like a street hooker holding a garage sale on her body and willing to bed whomsoever promises a piece of the pie. The history of Christianity is littered with examples.

They want to hold Republican campaign initiatives? By all means do, it's their church.
Christianity, thank goodness, is on the decline in the US. This is the best approximation to a swan song they can muster.

Just don't come asking for tax exemption.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2015 3:01:01 PM
At 10/19/2015 2:57:56 PM, Hitchian wrote:

They're continuing that long and noble tradition of some established religions which will readily act like a street hooker holding a garage sale on her body and willing to bed whomsoever promises a piece of the pie. The history of Christianity is littered with examples.

They want to hold Republican campaign initiatives? By all means do, it's their church.
Christianity, thank goodness, is on the decline in the US. This is the best approximation to a swan song they can muster.

Just don't come asking for tax exemption.

The problem is, my friend, that they already have it and are abusing it.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2015 3:40:58 PM
At 10/19/2015 2:46:49 PM, dhardage wrote:

Read the tax code. The chapter that allows religious bodies to be exempt from taxes is very specific about not endorsing or promoting any political candidate. The members have all the rights of any other citizen but a church, synagogue, or other religious body does not. Chapter 501c3 of the tax code should be informative.

Why don't you read the tax code:

https://www.law.cornell.edu...
Except as provided in subsection (c), an organization organized after October 9, 1969, shall not be treated as an organization described in section 501 (c)(3)"

(c) Exceptions
(1) Mandatory exceptions

Subsections (a) and (b) shall not apply to"
(A) churches, their integrated auxiliaries, and conventions or associations of churches, or

So Churches don't apply under 501 and would be redundant for them to do so.

So again Where is it stated that Chruches can't participate in politics?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2015 3:50:09 PM

Still no comment on the real injustice being tax funded organizations using tax payer money to support canidates. So not only do I pay taxes for planned parenthood to donate to campaigns for canidates I am against but I must then spend taxed income to support the canidates I do want.

Yeah but churches are the problem. 'Rolls eyes'
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2015 3:58:22 PM
At 10/19/2015 3:50:09 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Still no comment on the real injustice being tax funded organizations using tax payer money to support canidates. So not only do I pay taxes for planned parenthood to donate to campaigns for canidates I am against but I must then spend taxed income to support the canidates I do want.

By comparison, which do you think there are more of in any given municipality? Churches or PPs?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2015 5:50:56 PM
At 10/19/2015 3:40:58 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Except as provided in subsection (c), an organization organized after October 9, 1969, shall not be treated as an organization described in section 501 (c)(3)"

(c) Exceptions
(1) Mandatory exceptions

(A) churches, their integrated auxiliaries, and conventions or associations of churches, or

Can you provide me with that entire cite, please? According to the IRS website,

To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an organization must be organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3), and none of its earnings may inure to any private shareholder or individual. In addition, it may not be an action organization, i.e., it may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates.

Organizations described in section 501(c)(3) are commonly referred to as charitable organizations. Organizations described in section 501(c)(3), other than testing for public safety organizations, are eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions in accordance with Code section 170.

The organization must not be organized or operated for the benefit of private interests, and no part of a section 501(c)(3) organization's net earnings may inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual. If the organization engages in an excess benefit transaction with a person having substantial influence over the organization, an excise tax may be imposed on the person and any organization managers agreeing to the transaction.

Section 501(c)(3) organizations are restricted in how much political and legislative (lobbying) activities they may conduct. For a detailed discussion, see Political and Lobbying Activities. For more information about lobbying activities by charities, see the article Lobbying Issues; for more information about political activities of charities, see the FY-2002 CPE topic Election Year Issues

I need more information before I can adequately respond.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2015 5:51:47 PM
At 10/19/2015 3:50:09 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Some of us have a life outside of this website. I'd appreciate it if you'd at least try to be polite enough to realize that.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2015 5:57:49 PM
At 10/19/2015 5:50:56 PM, dhardage wrote:

(c) Exceptions
(1) Mandatory exceptions

To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an organization must be organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3), and none of its earnings may inure to any private shareholder or individual. In addition, it may not be an action organization, i.e., it may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates.

Organizations described in section 501(c)(3) are commonly referred to as charitable organizations. Organizations described in section 501(c)(3), other than testing for public safety organizations, are eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions in accordance with Code section 170.

The organization must not be organized or operated for the benefit of private interests, and no part of a section 501(c)(3) organization's net earnings may inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual. If the organization engages in an excess benefit transaction with a person having substantial influence over the organization, an excise tax may be imposed on the person and any organization managers agreeing to the transaction.

Section 501(c)(3) organizations are restricted in how much political and legislative (lobbying) activities they may conduct. For a detailed discussion, see Political and Lobbying Activities. For more information about lobbying activities by charities, see the article Lobbying Issues; for more information about political activities of charities, see the FY-2002 CPE topic Election Year Issues

In addition, from the IRS web site:?

Tax Information for Churches and Religious Organizations

Exemption Requirements - 501(c)(3) Organizations
A brief description of the requirements for exemption under IRC Section 501(c)(3).

Unrelated Business Income Tax
Unrelated business income tax requirements for tax-exempt organizations.

Filing Requirements
A brief description of annual filing requirements for tax-exempt churches and religious organizations.

The Restriction of Political Campaign Intervention by Section 501(c)(3) Tax-Exempt Organizations
Political Campaign Activity by section 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations

Ah, you forgot subsection C, exceptions, that states in part.

(c) Exceptions
(1) Mandatory exceptions

(B) any organization which is not a private foundation (as defined in section 509 (a)) and the gross receipts of which in each taxable year are normally not more than $5,000.

So your entire argument is either intentionally or unintentionally false. Churches are an exception to Section 508.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2015 9:02:38 PM

(c) Exceptions
(1) Mandatory exceptions

Look it up. Churches are automatically exempt under 508. They don't need file for 501 exemptions or to fall under such stipulations.

My citation is enough to confirm so.

So you concede?
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2015 9:06:21 PM
At 10/19/2015 9:02:38 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

(c) Exceptions
(1) Mandatory exceptions

Look it up. Churches are automatically exempt under 508. They don't need file for 501 exemptions or to fall under such stipulations.

So you concede?

Uh, no. Subsection c of 508 states that churches are an exception and that they are still to be considered 501(c)3 entities. Just look at the IRS website, it's very specific. You should not stop reading until you get all of the information.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2015 9:12:36 PM
At 10/19/2015 9:06:21 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 10/19/2015 9:02:38 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

(c) Exceptions
(1) Mandatory exceptions

So you concede?

Uh, no. Subsection c of 508 states that churches are an exception and that they are still to be considered 501(c)3 entities. Just look at the IRS website, it's very specific. You should not stop reading until you get all of the information.

Just in case you don't quite get it, let me quote your citation.

and

>(c) Exceptions
(1) Mandatory exceptions

See what it says? Subsections a and b that exempt some organizations from 501(c)3
'shall not apply' to churches. In other words, churches are still bound by that regulation.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 7:24:49 AM

Whore meet Babylon, Babylon meet Whore.

Wait what ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
nueron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 7:49:22 AM

http://www.msn.com... : :

How many U.S. presidents do you know that claimed to be an atheist?

If you can't name any, it's the reason presidential candidates try persuade Christians to their way of thinking.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 1:39:37 PM
At 10/20/2015 7:49:22 AM, nueron wrote:

If you can't name any, it's the reason presidential candidates try persuade Christians to their way of thinking.

Presidential candidates try to convince everyone to their way of thinking. This is not related to that. The issue here is that churches are bound by the law that grants them tax exemption not to engage in partisan politics and support any particular candidate or party or they will lose the exemption. The IRS has not been enforcing this rule because so many of the people in power claim to be Christian and the so-called Christian population has excessive influence in American politics.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 4:54:28 PM

Here's a court case in which the court ruled in favor of the IRS in revoking a churchs tax exempt status.

Also the brief affirms that churches can hold themselves out as tax exempt under what I pointed out 508 tax code.

A church is a collection of people who all have their right to assemble and publicly practice thier religion. Who also have the right to participate in politics.

There is already case law and cases that support what you want. But why are you attacking the churches and not say the clinton foundation? Which is a 501c charity?

Churches don't have to nor should they be 501 charities. They are no where near the corruption of thousands of charities.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 5:00:44 PM
At 10/20/2015 4:54:28 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Here's a court case in which the court ruled in favor of the IRS in revoking a churchs tax exempt status.

Also the brief affirms that churches can hold themselves out as tax exempt under what I pointed out 508 tax code.

A church is a collection of people who all have their right to assemble and publicly practice thier religion. Who also have the right to participate in politics.

There is already case law and cases that support what you want. But why are you attacking the churches and not say the clinton foundation? Which is a 501c charity?

Churches don't have to nor should they be 501 charities. They are no where near the corruption of thousands of charities.

Once again. I'm pointing out how politicians are pandering to religious groups and how those groups violate the law (yes, if a church wants to be tax exempt is has to apply under 501(c)3. If you don't believe me just go to IRS.gov and search churches.) I find it telling that those who want to govern have no problem ignoring laws that are inconvenient, with particular reference to the separation of church and state. That is the only purpose of this thread.
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 5:47:29 PM

Count yourselves lucky. Canada's brand new Prime Minister has a habit of visiting mosques who are under surveillance for questionable ties with Islamist Terror organizations. He defends the wearing of the Islamist face rag at swearing in ceremonies for Canadian citizenship.
Todd0611
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 6:38:23 PM

Seriously, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Rev. Jeremiah Wright basically campaigning for Obama. I truly don't know if he has a "mega church", but I remember hearing a lot about him during the elections (he said a lot of weird stuff). Does/did his church have the same tax exempt status? I thought somewhere I read they were a community center, but also a church. Even if he's not leading a "mega church", if Rev. Wright had/has tax-exempt status (his church that is), then your statement would apply to this situation as well correct?
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 6:58:32 PM
At 10/20/2015 6:38:23 PM, Todd0611 wrote:

Seriously, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Rev. Jeremiah Wright basically campaigning for Obama. I truly don't know if he has a "mega church", but I remember hearing a lot about him during the elections (he said a lot of weird stuff). Does/did his church have the same tax exempt status? I thought somewhere I read they were a community center, but also a church. Even if he's not leading a "mega church", if Rev. Wright had/has tax-exempt status (his church that is), then your statement would apply to this situation as well correct?

Absolutely, if he did indeed make those statements as the head of a church instead of as a regular citizen. I do note, however, after re-reading the article that I posted, the pastor states that...

"Responding to questions about his church's non-profit status perhaps being violated because the event was political, Graham said that Democratic presidential hopefuls were also invited " but didn't appear"

So I suppose that this could have been considered neutral, even though he had to know none of the Democrats would show up.
nueron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 7:01:17 PM
At 10/20/2015 1:39:37 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 10/20/2015 7:49:22 AM, nueron wrote:

Presidential candidates try to convince everyone to their way of thinking. This is not related to that. The issue here is that churches are bound by the law that grants them tax exemption not to engage in partisan politics and support any particular candidate or party or they will lose the exemption. The IRS has not been enforcing this rule because so many of the people in power claim to be Christian and the so-called Christian population has excessive influence in American politics. : :

The U.S. was formed by Christians fighting for their new found land and false gods they built. Christians are privileged in the U.S. and anyone running for the higher offices understand this very well. That's why former President Bush had to become a born again Christian in order to go fight in Iraq.

Why do you think most Christians hate Muslims coming into the U.S.?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 11:28:06 PM
At 10/20/2015 6:58:32 PM, dhardage wrote:

Absolutely, if he did indeed make those statements as the head of a church instead of as a regular citizen. I do note, however, after re-reading the article that I posted, the pastor states that...

"Responding to questions about his church's non-profit status perhaps being violated because the event was political, Graham said that Democratic presidential hopefuls were also invited " but didn't appear"

So I suppose that this could have been considered neutral, even though he had to know none of the Democrats would show up.

According to the IRS tax code, though a church doesn't have to be 501, if they choose to be so they can still conduct events that are related to voter education. as long as it is neutral.

But what do you think about politicians Like the Secretary of State department, Hillary Clinton, running 501 non-profit charity "The Clinton Foundation" making big profits and funding political campaigns?

Do you think churches are intentionally trying to launder billions of dollars for rich political fat cats more than Planned Parenthood or Clinton Foundation.

So churches should remain tax exempt under the 508 clause of the IRS code, should have the right to assemble and talk about politics.

You know what's sickening is you and your ilk are OKAY to let lying fat cats in politics use tax exemption and spend more on drinks and cars than any real charity work.

But a group of like minded individuals have to be prosecuted for trying to tip the balance of power in favor of individual rights, feed the poor, and do some good in this world.

Do you ever think about what the logical end to your thinking is??

Your thinking is death and destruction for the world and life upon it.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 11:31:11 PM

The world is coming to an end. Except it. Humanity is doomed...
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2015 8:32:55 AM

tell this to the muslims..
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2015 8:48:17 AM
At 10/21/2015 8:32:55 AM, graceofgod wrote:

The GOP are campaigning the muslims too?
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2015 8:55:48 AM
At 10/21/2015 8:48:17 AM, desmac wrote:
At 10/21/2015 8:32:55 AM, graceofgod wrote:

The GOP are campaigning the muslims too?

wow that should terrify the muslims..lol
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 1:53:18 PM
At 10/20/2015 11:28:06 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

According to the IRS tax code, though a church doesn't have to be 501, if they choose to be so they can still conduct events that are related to voter education. as long as it is neutral.

Did you look at the IRS website or are you just interpreting the code as you read it? The web site is quite specific about any church getting a 510(c)3 exemption if they don't want to pay taxes.

But what do you think about politicians Like the Secretary of State department, Hillary Clinton, running 501 non-profit charity "The Clinton Foundation" making big profits and funding political campaigns?

Irrelevant to the OP.

Do you think churches are intentionally trying to launder billions of dollars for rich political fat cats more than Planned Parenthood or Clinton Foundation.

Irrelevant to the OP.

So churches should remain tax exempt under the 508 clause of the IRS code, should have the right to assemble and talk about politics.

Churches are the exception to 508 as specified in subparagraph C. Already explained that to you and again, read the IRS website answers to those questions. It's very specific.

You know what's sickening is you and your ilk are OKAY to let lying fat cats in politics use tax exemption and spend more on drinks and cars than any real charity work.

Again, irrelevant to the OP.

But a group of like minded individuals have to be prosecuted for trying to tip the balance of power in favor of individual rights, feed the poor, and do some good in this world.

Irrelevant to the OP.

Foolish nonsense as well as irrelevant to the OP.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 4:55:18 PM
At 10/22/2015 1:53:18 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 10/20/2015 11:28:06 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Did you look at the IRS website or are you just interpreting the code as you read it? The web site is quite specific about any church getting a 510(c)3 exemption if they don't want to pay taxes.

Irrelevant to the OP.

Irrelevant to the OP.

Churches are the exception to 508 as specified in subparagraph C. Already explained that to you and again, read the IRS website answers to those questions. It's very specific.

Again, irrelevant to the OP.

Irrelevant to the OP.

Foolish nonsense as well as irrelevant to the OP.

So don't even read the court brief I cited that affirmed churches can be 508, which is in conflict with what you said earlier. Still not conceding that point.