Total Posts:29|Showing Posts:1-29
Jump to topic:

Ex-Christians why did you leave Christianity?

ken1122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2015 10:40:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/24/2015 5:30:08 PM, Julia5678 wrote:
What made you leave your faith?
An honest, unbiased, search for the truth.

Ken
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 2:04:59 AM

I was brought up as a Presbyterian and made to go to Sunday school and sometimes church until I was 12. The minister was a great guy and well respected and he wasn't too preachy. I don't call myself a Christian, because religion makes God appear judgemental, childish, jealous, cruel, and just plain boring. I don't think that God is any of those, so I chose to search for meaning in God without being encumbered by religious restrictions. I'm just glad I wasn't brought up in Islam. I'd probably hate God at this point.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 2:33:10 AM

No evidence for god. The claims for god don't make any sense.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 2:57:37 AM
Because, because..because God didn't spoil me like a princess and do it all for me. When the going gets tough, I can't handle it. Why doesn't God just do everything for me? But He'd better not take away my freedom or free will...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 3:20:35 AM
At 10/25/2015 2:57:37 AM, GrittyWorm wrote:
Because, because..because God didn't spoil me like a princess and do it all for me. When the going gets tough, I can't handle it. Why doesn't God just do everything for me? But He'd better not take away my freedom or free will...

Wallow, wallow, wallow.
Poor thing.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 3:21:25 AM

It was a number of things, starting with a general feeling of restlessness. I started to grow weary and confused by the strict views on lust and sexuality-- it seemed out of step with a big part of what it means to be a normal, healthy human being. And it seemed to be completely void of a sense of humor on the subject, and I think sexual humor is hilarious. I was also getting worn down by the general "us vs. them" mentality that devout religious belief engenders-- I could no longer ignore how divisive and judgmental my beliefs were urging me to be. Hell doctrine had always been problematic for me, too.

Also, the Internet. With that, I had access to all kinds of discussions and info on religion and science. I was surprised to learn of how many former Christians, even former ministers are out there. I also really started to learn about and respect scientific methodology, peer review, and evolution-- years of formal schooling had previously been unable to break through my Sunday school indoctrination! I then started to view the Bible from a more figurative standpoint.

Ultimately, faith ceased to hold any value for me, so there was no stereotypical "crisis of faith" with me.

So, my deconversion proceeded like this:

fundamentalist, conservative Christian--> liberal, universalist Christian--> deistic theist--> atheist
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 3:43:36 AM
At 10/25/2015 3:21:25 AM, Fly wrote:

It was a number of things, starting with a general feeling of restlessness. I started to grow weary and confused by the strict views on lust and sexuality-- it seemed out of step with a big part of what it means to be a normal, healthy human being. And it seemed to be completely void of a sense of humor on the subject, and I think sexual humor is hilarious. I was also getting worn down by the general "us vs. them" mentality that devout religious belief engenders-- I could no longer ignore how divisive and judgmental my beliefs were urging me to be. Hell doctrine had always been problematic for me, too.

Also, the Internet. With that, I had access to all kinds of discussions and info on religion and science. I was surprised to learn of how many former Christians, even former ministers are out there. I also really started to learn about and respect scientific methodology, peer review, and evolution-- years of formal schooling had previously been unable to break through my Sunday school indoctrination! I then started to view the Bible from a more figurative standpoint.

Ultimately, faith ceased to hold any value for me, so there was no stereotypical "crisis of faith" with me.

fundamentalist, conservative Christian--> liberal, universalist Christian--> deistic theist--> atheist

There is no us vs. Them if you follow Christ's teachings. There is a difference between the views of a group and Christ himself. He is the belief, nit Profiling, bogoted televangelists. He taught love your enemy, forgive your enemy, pray for your enemy, turn your cheek to your enemy, give your coat to your enemy, do not judge. There is no us vs. Them. Sounds like you had a poir version of so called "Christianity" sold to you. No wonder you turned IMO. I suggest you re-evaluate based on what Jesus himself actually said. You mentioned several things that while I was reading your post, I thought,"The problem is that you were never introduced to true Christianity in the first place. It's hard to evaluate "Helk". The Bible is very vague on what exactly that means or who even goes there. A particular Bible verse to support my claim is this: "Why are you afraid of man who can hurt the body but do nothing to the soul? But only fear He who can destroy the soul in Hell." Destroy? Doesn't destroy mean well...destroy? Ig I destroy something, it is gone. It ceases to be. There is a mention of a bottomless pit, but this particular reference is to Satan, the Antichrist, and the Antichrist's minions. It mentions no one else. The typical viewpoint of Hell is based off of Milton's"Paradise Lost" which is not a Biblical version.
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 4:30:31 AM
Dear God, hope you got the letter, and...
I pray you can make it better down here.
I don't mean a big reduction in the price of beer
but all the people that you made in your image,
see them starving on their feet 'cause they don't get enough to eat from God,
I can't believe in you

Dear God, sorry to disturb you, but...
I feel that I should be heard loud and clear.
We all need a big reduction in amount of tears
and all the people that you made in your image,
see them fighting in the street 'cause they can't make opinions meet about God,
I can't believe in you

Did you make disease, and the diamond blue?
Did you make mankind after we made you?
And the devil too!

Dear God, don't know if you noticed, but...
your name is on a lot of quotes in this book,
and us crazy humans wrote it,
you should take a look,
and all the people that you made in your image still believing that junk is true.
Well I know it ain't, and so do you,

Dear God, I can't believe in
I don't believe in
I won't believe in heaven and hell.
No saints, no sinners, no devil as well.
No pearly gates, no thorny crown.
You're always letting us humans down.
The wars you bring, the babes you drown.
Those lost at sea and never found,
and it's the same the whole world 'round.
The hurt I see helps to compound that Father, Son and Holy Ghost is just somebody's unholy hoax,
and if you're up there you'd perceive that my heart's here upon my sleeve.
If there's one thing I don't believe in
it's you....

1984 XTC
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 5:00:20 AM
At 10/25/2015 3:43:36 AM, GrittyWorm wrote:

There is no us vs. Them if you follow Christ's teachings. There is a difference between the views of a group and Christ himself. He is the belief, nit Profiling, bogoted televangelists. He taught love your enemy, forgive your enemy, pray for your enemy, turn your cheek to your enemy, give your coat to your enemy, do not judge. There is no us vs. Them. Sounds like you had a poir version of so called "Christianity" sold to you. No wonder you turned IMO. I suggest you re-evaluate based on what Jesus himself actually said. You mentioned several things that while I was reading your post, I thought,"The problem is that you were never introduced to true Christianity in the first place. It's hard to evaluate "Helk". The Bible is very vague on what exactly that means or who even goes there. A particular Bible verse to support my claim is this: "Why are you afraid of man who can hurt the body but do nothing to the soul? But only fear He who can destroy the soul in Hell." Destroy? Doesn't destroy mean well...destroy? Ig I destroy something, it is gone. It ceases to be. There is a mention of a bottomless pit, but this particular reference is to Satan, the Antichrist, and the Antichrist's minions. It mentions no one else. The typical viewpoint of Hell is based off of Milton's"Paradise Lost" which is not a Biblical version.

I take it that you mean well with your suggestions, but please do not underestimate the depth of my experiences and the thought and research I have put into the decisions I have made in my life. Thanks.

That was, at best, the Cliff's notes version of the lengthy process involved in my loss of faith-- and still it is by far the longest explanation here yet!
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 5:48:57 AM

I grew up, put away childish things and realized ALL invisible supernatural gods are mythical characters.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 3:09:34 AM
At 10/25/2015 2:33:10 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

No evidence for Atheism. The claims make no sense. Tell us how it all happened. The floor is yours.
trojan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 3:14:50 AM
What made you leave your faith? : :

God wanted me to stop worshiping the woman riding the Beast. Once I was totally forced away from it's influence, He began to teach me about the Beast that controls all His people.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 3:59:43 AM
At 10/26/2015 3:09:34 AM, GrittyWorm wrote:

No evidence for Atheism. The claims make no sense. Tell us how it all happened. The floor is yours.

Assuming you don't accept every unsubstantiated claim ever made (alien abductions, unicorns, fairies, flat Earth), then you understand belief without evidence is unwarranted. God is an unsubstantiated claim. Belief is unwarranted. End of story.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 4:05:13 AM
At 10/26/2015 3:59:43 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

Assuming you don't accept every unsubstantiated claim ever made (alien abductions, unicorns, fairies, flat Earth), then you understand belief without evidence is unwarranted. God is an unsubstantiated claim. Belief is unwarranted. End of story.

Fairies aren't real. Jesus walked the Earth. Examples?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 4:10:50 AM

Atheism has all the evidence that theism can't produce.
Atheism is the rejection of claims, it doesn't make any.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 4:16:44 AM
At 10/26/2015 4:05:13 AM, GrittyWorm wrote:
At 10/26/2015 3:59:43 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

Fairies aren't real.

I rest my case.

Hitchian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 9:21:38 AM

Yeah.
T that must be it.
Surely.

Yours is a derivative of the old "You people just want to sin". Of course you distil your own brand of bitterness and resentment but the bottom libe is you show your misimpressions about atheism.

Meanwhile, another day has passed, another 24 hours have gone by. No rapture, no Christ coming on the clouds, no Armageddon. Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

I'd say this is a compelling reason to run in the opposite direction of Christianity: that none of their ludicrous predictions ever comes to fruition.

Thank goodness for that.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 10:14:13 PM
At 10/26/2015 9:21:38 AM, Hitchian wrote:

Yeah.
T that must be it.
Surely.

Yours is a derivative of the old "You people just want to sin". Of course you distil your own brand of bitterness and resentment but the bottom libe is you show your misimpressions about atheism.

Meanwhile, another day has passed, another 24 hours have gone by. No rapture, no Christ coming on the clouds, no Armageddon. Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

I'd say this is a compelling reason to run in the opposite direction of Christianity: that none of their ludicrous predictions ever comes to fruition.

Thank goodness for that.

The problem is that eschatology does not need to show itself true in order to cause inordinate damage to civilization, humanity, and peace. It merely needs to be sincerely believed by people in places of power and influence.
pakicetus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 10:57:14 PM

Burden of proof shift & tu quoque. And it's not as if Skepticalone outright asserted atheism to be true.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 11:03:10 PM

What is a deistic theist???
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 11:24:24 PM
At 10/26/2015 11:03:10 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

What is a deistic theist???

Perhaps that is the wrong term, but I just mean a person who believes in an impersonal deity that is not involved in human affairs at all. Perhaps that is just a deist, but that term seems to imply a bit more dogma to it than I was wanting to convey.
Berend
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 12:43:03 AM

It was nonsensical. It was not what it was claimed to be. There were things in the bible that made no sense, were evil, and nothing that showed the God of it was worth worshiping. Jesus didn't fit the legacy he was meant to do in order to be the son of God. Nothing in the about about Jesus is that remarkable. There is no evidence for it.
Berend
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 12:43:58 AM

What if I told you there was no free will?
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 3:05:13 AM
At 10/27/2015 12:43:58 AM, Berend wrote:

What if I told you monkeys have wings, eight legs, no fur, bark like dogs, and refuse to eat bananas?
Berend
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 3:07:39 AM
At 10/27/2015 3:05:13 AM, GrittyWorm wrote:

What if I told you monkeys have wings, eight legs, no fur, bark like dogs, and refuse to eat bananas?
I'm almost sure that was a non sequitur.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 3:26:11 AM
At 10/27/2015 3:07:39 AM, Berend wrote:

Maybe it's a bad monkey joke aimed at poking fun at you. Poke...poke...does it tickle?
Berend
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 4:12:53 AM
At 10/27/2015 3:26:11 AM, GrittyWorm wrote:
At 10/27/2015 3:07:39 AM, Berend wrote:

Maybe it's a bad monkey joke aimed at poking fun at you. Poke...poke...does it tickle?

So basically you can't have an actual conversation with substance. Got it. Then I will be done responding to trolls like you.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 1:58:58 PM
The doubts about the faith eventually became too big to ignore by the time I was 19 and I kicked it into touch. I haven't missed it.

I do however like to challenge the nastier aspects of Christianity like the crazy and often abusive, 'you must be 'saved', or else', dogma.