Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

How to protect children/vulnerable.........

JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2015 2:24:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
.........from extreme Christian emotional abuse.

Having had experience of this type of abuse in my childhood, and knowing it goes on today in extreme religious households, I believe children and the vulnerable need protecting from it. Telling a child they will burn in hell if they don't get 'saved' is wicked. I know for a fact it can cause trauma.

When our children were young they opted of their own volition to attend church and Sunday school. It was only years later that our youngest girl revealed she had been told her unbelieving parents would burn in hell. She was instructed that if she informed us the Sunday School teacher had told her that she would also burn in hell! >:( We wondered why she had so many nightmares in those days!

Mind you my husband and I were extremely remiss not to had found out exactly what our kids were being taught! We would have removed them immediately from the evil clutches of those nasty people. :o

On this forum a few of the posters claim to be in their early teens. If that is true it is frightening the sort of extreme Christian dogma some of them come out with. One can only think they have been severely brain washed by their parents and churches.

I think it should be a specific offensive to target kids with that sort of evil garbage, for which there isn't the slightest shred of proof to substantiate it.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2015 9:31:15 PM
At 10/29/2015 2:24:21 PM, JJ50 wrote:

Having had experience of this type of abuse in my childhood, and knowing it goes on today in extreme religious households, I believe children and the vulnerable need protecting from it. Telling a child they will burn in hell if they don't get 'saved' is wicked. I know for a fact it can cause trauma.

When our children were young they opted of their own volition to attend church and Sunday school. It was only years later that our youngest girl revealed she had been told her unbelieving parents would burn in hell. She was instructed that if she informed us the Sunday School teacher had told her that she would also burn in hell! >:( We wondered why she had so many nightmares in those days!

Mind you my husband and I were extremely remiss not to had found out exactly what our kids were being taught! We would have removed them immediately from the evil clutches of those nasty people. :o

On this forum a few of the posters claim to be in their early teens. If that is true it is frightening the sort of extreme Christian dogma some of them come out with. One can only think they have been severely brain washed by their parents and churches.

I think it should be a specific offensive to target kids with that sort of evil garbage, for which there isn't the slightest shred of proof to substantiate it.

Tell it like it is sister!
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 2:21:17 AM

I would like to add that this "abuse" has been occurring since Christianity first came into existence. So are you suggesting that the problem is just now coming to light?

As well, I might add that I am seventeen and a Christian by choice. I was raised in a secular home with no access to a Bible and no church experience. So I was not "severely brain washed" by my parents.
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 3:18:20 AM

It's never a good idea to have people who have children under their control and for them to be allowed to just go about their business door shut.

Double that if they are the type of person who knows they have Gods truth................
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 3:22:05 AM
At 10/30/2015 2:21:17 AM, tstor wrote:

I would like to add that this "abuse" has been occurring since Christianity first came into existence. So are you suggesting that the problem is just now coming to light?

As well, I might add that I am seventeen and a Christian by choice. I was raised in a secular home with no access to a Bible and no church experience. So I was not "severely brain washed" by my parents.
At what age did god choose you?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 3:24:03 AM
At 10/30/2015 3:22:05 AM, bulproof wrote:

Not sure if I am a fan of the wording, but I assume you are asking for the age in which I converted to Christianity. I converted this year, but I began religious studies of various faiths at age fifteen.
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 3:29:39 AM
At 10/30/2015 3:24:03 AM, tstor wrote:
At 10/30/2015 3:22:05 AM, bulproof wrote:

Not sure if I am a fan of the wording, but I assume you are asking for the age in which I converted to Christianity. I converted this year, but I began religious studies of various faiths at age fifteen.
Well according to the book you don't know the source of, the wording is precise. Perhaps you need a lot more study.
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 3:32:25 AM
At 10/30/2015 3:29:39 AM, bulproof wrote:

Well according to the book you don't know the source of, the wording is precise. Perhaps you need a lot more study.
Do not derail this thread by bringing the other one in it. Keep it confined to one thread.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 3:43:26 AM
At 10/30/2015 3:32:25 AM, tstor wrote:
At 10/30/2015 3:29:39 AM, bulproof wrote:

Do not derail this thread by bringing the other one in it. Keep it confined to one thread.
Key word, precise.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 3:51:08 AM

Personal anecdotes do not make for argumentation. The fact that your parents were telling a less than stellar intellect, you as a child of their genetics, Biblical lessons shows an ignorance on theirs and your part. If you try and qualify everything that could possibly be "emotionally abusive" towards all children based on your own experience it would take 20 years to weed out all the abusive things people say to children. I'm joking of course, but as an adult may I say its pretty effing hot in hell, and burning of flesh is going to be the least of your problems...bwhahahaha, burn baby burn, disco inferno........
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 8:33:20 AM
At 10/30/2015 3:18:20 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

It's never a good idea to have people who have children under their control and for them to be allowed to just go about their business door shut.

Double that if they are the type of person who knows they have Gods truth................

Quadruple it or more if they are "celibate" men in dresses.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 9:35:14 AM

For no good reason, in the US it is assumed that anything done by mainstream religion is socially beneficial unless discredited. You can acquire a public good, non-profit status just by saying you are a religious group, but without saying what it is you actually do. (see for example, Our Lady of Perpetual (tax) Exemption [https://en.wikipedia.org...]) The fundamentalist antiscience propaganda organisation Answers In Genesis is publicly funded, for example.

However, for equally inexplicable reasons, it can still be a matter of skepticism that anything done to advance science assists human benefit or rational thought. Richard Dawkins quotes the British Charity Commissions response to his foundation's application for tax-exempt public good status as saying It is not clear how the advancement of science tends towards the mental and moral improvement of the public. Please provide us with evidence of this or explain how it is linked to the advancement of humanism and rationalism

Yah. critical, empirical thought is dangerous see... But blind, unthinking, self-satisfied, subjectivity... that's safe...

Unless you're atheist, Muslim, gay, or a suspected witch.