Jump to topic:

God definition and characteristics

AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 6:41:45 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
If God is truly untestable, unknowable, unseeable and very shy, how do we know he has certain characteristics?

For instance, people say God is omnibenevolent...how do we know this? We have never tested, God, so how can we possibly come to the conclusion that he is omnibenevolent? Seems a little illogical to make up God's personality.

I'm an atheist BTW, so don't take this post the wrong way.
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
8to5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 6:48:50 AM
At 10/30/2015 6:41:45 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
If God is truly untestable, unknowable, unseeable and very shy, how do we know he has certain characteristics?

For instance, people say God is omnibenevolent...how do we know this? We have never tested, God, so how can we possibly come to the conclusion that he is omnibenevolent? Seems a little illogical to make up God's personality.

I'm an atheist BTW, so don't take this post the wrong way. : :

I take your post the right way. You don't believe in God. However, I do know that God exists because I've been speaking for him for over 7 years now. It took him a long time to get my body ready to do that, though.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 7:14:01 AM

We know the characteristic of the true God from the true religion.
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 8:13:00 AM
At 10/30/2015 6:48:50 AM, 8to5 wrote:

I'm an atheist BTW, so don't take this post the wrong way. : :

I take your post the right way. You don't believe in God. However, I do know that God exists because I've been speaking for him for over 7 years now. It took him a long time to get my body ready to do that, though.

Speaking to God for 7 years? Yeah, and I own a Lamborghini Veneno!

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 8:22:55 AM
At 10/30/2015 7:14:01 AM, uncung wrote:

And which true religion is that?

Hindu, Muslim, Christianity, Buddhism, Scientology, Mormons, Judaism, Taoism, Satanism, etc etc etc

There are over 4000 different religions...which one is right? Better yet, what makes you sure that yours is?

uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 8:43:28 AM
At 10/30/2015 8:22:55 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:

Hindu, Muslim, Christianity, Buddhism, Scientology, Mormons, Judaism, Taoism, Satanism, etc etc etc

There are over 4000 different religions...which one is right? Better yet, what makes you sure that yours is?

Islam.Islam is the true religion, the rest ones are false. Islam is true because it is proven true. the other religions are false because they are proven wrong.
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 8:48:01 AM
At 10/30/2015 8:43:28 AM, uncung wrote:

Islam.Islam is the true religion, the rest ones are false. Islam is true because it is proven true. the other religions are false because they are proven wrong.

Funny...every other religion has said that too...

Is it just me or does religion not have any bloody clue what it's doing?

uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 9:07:11 AM

What do other religions say about theirs?
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 9:16:50 AM
At 10/30/2015 9:07:11 AM, uncung wrote:

All religions say theirs is the one true religion. Therefore at least 99.99% of religions are lying.
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 9:18:05 AM
At 10/30/2015 9:07:11 AM, uncung wrote:

"[Insert religion here] is the true religion, the rest ones are false. (Mine) is true because it is proven true. the other religions are false because they are proven wrong."

and

"my religion is bigger than yours"

They say this so much that I don't know which to join. So I concluded that all religions are simply money hungry organisations stealing from people who don't know better.

uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 9:26:51 AM

"[Insert religion here] is the true religion, the rest ones are false. (Mine) is true because it is proven true. the other religions are false because they are proven wrong."

and

They say this so much that I don't know which to join. So I concluded that all religions are simply money hungry organisations stealing from people who don't know better.

Insert one religion, and prove your claim, had they ever announced that theirs are true and the other ones are wrong? nope. it merely your prediction.
I CHALLENGE YOU: Bring it to me one spiritual assertion which is stating that theirs are the true religion and the rest ones are false.
YOU CAN'T.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 9:32:49 AM

All religions say theirs is the one true religion. Therefore at least 99.99% of religions are lying.

What does Hindu, for instance, say about the privilege truth of their religion?
the same question is applied to other religions.

I SAID: Only Islamic scripture which solely announces the truth of Islam over all religions. All religions are false except Islam.

are there any religion except Islam that say like that?
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 11:22:43 AM

You believe that to be true, you don't KNOW it for a fact!
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 11:32:00 AM

You believe that to be true, you don't KNOW it for a fact!

Elaborate it more, I don't get it.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 12:26:31 PM
At 10/30/2015 8:43:28 AM, uncung wrote:

Which was the true religion 200,000yrs ago?
Your camel trader didn't tell you that.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 1:10:11 PM

I don't know.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 1:21:37 PM
At 10/30/2015 1:10:11 PM, uncung wrote:

I don't know.

That's funny, your camel trader says that the religion he created had always existed, yeah we all know that makes no sense but that's what the poor deluded profit taught.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 1:35:16 PM
I don't know.

That's funny, your camel trader says that the religion he created had always existed, yeah we all know that makes no sense but that's what the poor deluded profit taught.

Just because the prophet didn't tell us the religion 2000000000 years ago doesn't mean my religion is not true.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 1:43:40 PM
At 10/30/2015 1:35:16 PM, uncung wrote:
I don't know.

Just because the prophet didn't tell us the religion 2000000000 years ago doesn't mean my religion is not true.

Oh that's not what he said at all, don't you know the crap he taught? He thought that the Earth was 6000yrs old, 'cause he got his sh*t from the Catholic bible.
He wasn't the sharpest grain of sand in the desert.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 1:45:18 PM

Oh that's not what he said at all, don't you know the crap he taught? He thought that the Earth was 6000yrs old, 'cause he got his sh*t from the Catholic bible.

He had never said so, that the earth was 6000 yrs old.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 2:11:41 PM
At 10/30/2015 1:45:18 PM, uncung wrote:

Ahh yeah he did, he said Islam went back as far as Adam and the godbotherers can calculate that to about 6000yrs.
Nothing like 200000yrs.
But your profit didn't know much.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 2:16:10 PM
At 10/30/2015 2:11:41 PM, bulproof wrote:

Ahh yeah he did, he said Islam went back as far as Adam and the godbotherers can calculate that to about 6000yrs.
Nothing like 200000yrs.

Yes, Adam was a muslim. And Adam has nothing to do with the earth age.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 2:29:57 PM
At 10/30/2015 2:16:10 PM, uncung wrote:

Nothing like 200000yrs.

Actually I created the universe and I can prove it.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 2:42:47 PM

Actually I created the universe and I can prove it.

Ok. Good.
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 3:59:20 PM
At 10/30/2015 9:26:51 AM, uncung wrote:

and

Insert one religion, and prove your claim, had they ever announced that theirs are true and the other ones are wrong? nope. it merely your prediction.
I CHALLENGE YOU: Bring it to me one spiritual assertion which is stating that theirs are the true religion and the rest ones are false.
YOU CAN'T.

Your not getting the point. My point is that every religion claims to be the truth, including yours and every other says the rest are false. You don't have to provide sources for that, that is a well known fact. If you have never heard a Christian say they are preaching "the truth", then you must live under some sad sorry rock.

But fiiiine, I will:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 4:04:30 PM
At 10/30/2015 9:32:49 AM, uncung wrote:

What does Hindu, for instance, say about the privilege truth of their religion?
the same question is applied to other religions.

I SAID: Only Islamic scripture which solely announces the truth of Islam over all religions. All religions are false except Islam.

are there any religion except Islam that say like that?

Sure:
Acts 17:11: FLASE PROPHETS

2 Timothy 3:16: All scripture is inspired by God.

Above is two bible scriptures that not only warn about "false prophets" or I guess false religions, but also says that scripture (the bible) is inspired by God, and therefore true.

But again, your missing the point.

AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 4:18:16 PM
At 10/30/2015 2:16:10 PM, uncung wrote:

Nothing like 200000yrs.

Where in hells name did you get that from? Adam was Muslim? Wtf?

Ohhh wait, did your holy book tell you?

Also, wasn't the first Muslim Mohammad, and not Adam?

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 6:14:07 PM

God is not a coherent concept, Awesome, but an linguistic construct in search of some shared, intuitive meaning.

Keeping definitions vague and incoherent while appealing to intuition is very convenient, because you can claim intuitive recognition as a success, while insisting that all rational and evidentiary refutations are not failures. Moreover, you can shift and reshift your position with theological apologetics while never acknowledging that you moved position at all.

If God is what God does, then what God does linguistically is thieve credit from compassion, insight and the rule of law while denying all responsibility for cruelty, ignorance, and social disorder. God also provides ideological cover for tribalism, theocratic hegemonism, xenophobia and superstition, while simultaneously skimming credit for the benefits of democracy, secular pluralism, and empirical inquiry.

This makes me conclude that God is the single most intellectually dishonest and politically cynical invention of language ever devised: the ultimate claim of authority with zero accountability to ethics, morality or reason.

And the way we know God's characteristics is: any characteristic that gives us unaccountable moral, intellectual or political privilege over others is God; anything that might make us accountable for our ideas, motives or behaviours is not God, but some dismissable property of culture or fallible humanity.

I hope that may help. :)
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 8:13:37 PM

Why God would be those things?

According to the Bible God can be known.

He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8

We know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and he who remains in love remains in God, and God remains in him.
1 John 4:16

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 11:05:11 PM

God is not "untestable, unknowable or unseeable".... in a material sense maybe, but not by spirit.
We know He has certain characteristics because they have been revealed, revealed by spirit through servants, men of God, scripture, personal testimony ect.. And some by plain logic and simple reasoning.

God is not "omni" anything... those definitions are made up, you are correct here. We can be certain about some things of the personality of God but some become restrictions and stifle correct knowledge of God as well.