Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

No belief in god. what about other realities?

GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 11:09:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Do you believe there are dimensions completely different than ours? Are there realities outside of ours? Is there a place somewhere where gingerbread men run around or nonfinite beings speak through telepathy? Are you an Alzheimer's patient fighting a nurse right now thinking she's your wife and it is still 1976? Are you sure I am a real person? Is there a reality where your desires manifest in front of you? Is this real? Can your consciousness remanifest itself at some future point giving birth to "you" again? Is orange really orange or could it really be turquoise? What is in my pocket? I know you want to know... spay and nuter your pets.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 11:25:19 PM
At 10/30/2015 11:09:09 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:
Do you believe there are dimensions completely different than ours? Are there realities outside of ours? Is there a place somewhere where gingerbread men run around or nonfinite beings speak through telepathy? Are you an Alzheimer's patient fighting a nurse right now thinking she's your wife and it is still 1976? Are you sure I am a real person? Is there a reality where your desires manifest in front of you? Is this real? Can your consciousness remanifest itself at some future point giving birth to "you" again? Is orange really orange or could it really be turquoise? What is in my pocket? I know you want to know... spay and nuter your pets.

We know there is at least one universe, I find it hard to believe this is the only one.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 11:37:27 PM
At 10/30/2015 11:25:19 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

We know there is at least one universe, I find it hard to believe this is the only one.

Do you believe this could all simply be a sophisticated simulation in which our science doesn't mean jack in the reality that we were created in? I ask because we consist of almost entirely empty space derived from atoms, which are almost completely empty space. We see an image because it is all compacted so closely that we visualize something as if it were "finite"(a meaningless word in reality). Pixalization works in a similar fashion.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2015 12:33:47 AM
At 10/30/2015 11:37:27 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:

Do you believe this could all simply be a sophisticated simulation in which our science doesn't mean jack in the reality that we were created in? I ask because we consist of almost entirely empty space derived from atoms, which are almost completely empty space. We see an image because it is all compacted so closely that we visualize something as if it were "finite"(a meaningless word in reality). Pixalization works in a similar fashion.

Possible but until justified other wise I would say no. It requires more assumptions to propose a "virtual/simulation" of reality than a reality absent the added simulation processes.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
rule99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2015 12:46:58 AM

Do you believe this could all simply be a sophisticated simulation in which our science doesn't mean jack in the reality that we were created in? I ask because we consist of almost entirely empty space derived from atoms, which are almost completely empty space. We see an image because it is all compacted so closely that we visualize something as if it were "finite"(a meaningless word in reality). Pixalization works in a similar fashion. : :

We are definitely living in a simulation but most of the characters in it don't believe they're not real people or beasts.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2015 12:52:03 AM
At 10/31/2015 12:46:58 AM, rule99 wrote:

Do you believe this could all simply be a sophisticated simulation in which our science doesn't mean jack in the reality that we were created in? I ask because we consist of almost entirely empty space derived from atoms, which are almost completely empty space. We see an image because it is all compacted so closely that we visualize something as if it were "finite"(a meaningless word in reality). Pixalization works in a similar fashion. : :

We are definitely living in a simulation but most of the characters in it don't believe they're not real people or beasts.

It looks to be so.
rule99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2015 12:57:27 AM
At 10/31/2015 12:52:03 AM, GrittyWorm wrote:

It looks to be so. : :

The creator of the simulation was the one who taught me about it.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2015 1:05:11 AM
At 10/31/2015 12:57:27 AM, rule99 wrote:

People always ask,"Well, how did Jesus do such and such?" I shake my head and think,"Is that as far as your mind can think? Stretch man! This isn't that hard. Is it? Surely no."
rule99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2015 1:21:50 AM
At 10/31/2015 1:05:11 AM, GrittyWorm wrote:
At 10/31/2015 12:57:27 AM, rule99 wrote:

People always ask,"Well, how did Jesus do such and such?" I shake my head and think,"Is that as far as your mind can think? Stretch man! This isn't that hard. Is it? Surely no." : :

Jesus couldn't do anything unless it was thoroughly planned by his Father, the Creator of the simulation we're involved in. Where do you think all our thoughts come from? Here's a hint;

Amos 4
13: For lo, he who forms the mountains, and creates the wind, and declares to man what is his thought;

Psalm 92
5: How great are thy works, O LORD! Thy thoughts are very deep!
6: The dull man cannot know, the stupid cannot understand this:

Psalm 139
17: How precious to me are thy thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them!
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2015 4:12:36 AM
Do you believe there are dimensions completely different than ours?

I am open to the possibility.

Are there realities outside of ours?

I am open to the possibility.

Is there a place somewhere where gingerbread men run around or nonfinite beings speak through telepathy?

I doubt it.

Are you an Alzheimer's patient fighting a nurse right now thinking she's your wife and it is still 1976?

I doubt it.

Are you sure I am a real person?

I'm inclined to think you are a caricature of a real person.

Is there a reality where your desires manifest in front of you?

Doubt it.

Is this real?

As real as it gets, Gritty.

Can your consciousness remanifest itself at some future point giving birth to "you" again?

Doubt it.

Is orange really orange or could it really be turquoise?

Orange is orange to me. If you want to call it turquiose, that's your thing.

What is in my pocket?

WTF do I care what's in your pocket?

I know you want to know... spay and nuter your pets.

What was the point of this?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Hitchian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2015 4:15:00 AM
At 10/31/2015 4:12:36 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

Are you sure I am a real person?

I'm inclined to think you are a caricature of a real person.

Brill.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2015 5:17:04 AM
Do you believe there are dimensions completely different than ours?
If they were, I think they shouldn't be called 'dimensions'. That's an SF term and doesn't really accord with any scientific notion of a dimension.

But I don't see it matters whether you believe it, unless the belief itself were actionable. Why make a truth-value choice on a proposition that can't be constructively defined, when the choice wouldn't affect any other decision anyway?

Finally, when people who believe in invisible supervisors ask me whether I'd be willing to believe in something else ridiculous instead, it always makes me wonder why they compare their faith to something they know is ridiculous. :)