Jump to topic:

Miracles Happen Every Day

HandsOff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2010 10:28:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Most religious people I know point to nearly impossible coincidences as proof of miracles. You know, things that have a one-in-a-million or more chance of occuring. Do you people realize that, as a matter of fact, things that can only happen one in every million times will occur at that rate, even if there are no miracles? The fact that people call these occurances miracles demonstrates their improbability. Seeing the Virgin Mary's form in a cloud can probably occur one in just one of several thousand clouds (as with the form of a bunny, a horse or a Abe Lincoln). But eventually, it will happen. And there will be witnesses. Next time you see something so improbable that is must be a miracle, remember that improbability, by definition, guaranties an occassion occurance.
wush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2010 10:32:28 PM
thats a very good point
BE HAPPY!! =D
you are beautiful, don't let anyone tell you you're not
you're 100X more beautiful when you smile, not that you need it
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2010 10:33:47 PM
Miracles by definition belong in the 'least probable occurrence possible' category anyway, unless we take the modern apologist friendly definition of simply 'god dunnit'.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2010 10:38:36 PM
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2010 11:00:15 PM
At 9/23/2010 10:38:36 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

I approve of this message.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2010 10:46:45 AM
I didn't post it because it's good, either musically or scientifically.

Unless of course by "good" one means "so bad it's good."
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2010 12:35:10 PM
At 9/23/2010 10:28:19 PM, HandsOff wrote:
Most religious people I know point to nearly impossible coincidences as proof of miracles. You know, things that have a one-in-a-million or more chance of occuring. Do you people realize that, as a matter of fact, things that can only happen one in every million times will occur at that rate, even if there are no miracles? The fact that people call these occurances miracles demonstrates their improbability. Seeing the Virgin Mary's form in a cloud can probably occur one in just one of several thousand clouds (as with the form of a bunny, a horse or a Abe Lincoln). But eventually, it will happen. And there will be witnesses. Next time you see something so improbable that is must be a miracle, remember that improbability, by definition, guaranties an occassion occurance.

The definition of a miracle in casual use is what you described. Religious people attribute them to divine intervention either because it's their frame of reference in processing something that is otherwise unexplainable or the "miracle" that occurred was indicative in some way of that divinity, such as the formation of an icon in an unexpected place or a bleeding statue.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2010 3:17:53 PM
At 9/23/2010 10:28:19 PM, HandsOff wrote:

Most miracles are examples of Confirmation Bias.

It is a miracle because your brain gives more prominence to evidence that agrees with you than it does evidence that doesn't.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2010 4:09:54 PM
At 9/23/2010 10:33:47 PM, Puck wrote:
Miracles by definition belong in the 'least probable occurrence possible' category anyway, unless we take the modern apologist friendly definition of simply 'god dunnit'.

o_O
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!