Theists, I have a question for you:

nikidavis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2015 1:21:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hello, my question is:
Why did you choose your particular religion? Why, over all the other world religions?
This is a legitimate question. I don't want to argue or inflame you; I am looking for different perspectives about theology and the world.

Thanks for answering!
One day I saw a man walking down the street, and he walked up to me and said, "Did you know that humans are the only species who tear down trees to make paper, and then write 'save the trees!' on them." I was amazed, then everyone else looked at him and glared with annoyance. I was the only one that actually cared, about the trees, about the man, about the world.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2015 1:45:54 AM
At 11/3/2015 1:21:41 AM, nikidavis wrote:
Hello, my question is:
Why did you choose your particular religion? Why, over all the other world religions?
This is a legitimate question. I don't want to argue or inflame you; I am looking for different perspectives about theology and the world.

Thanks for answering!

Islam preaches intollerance for anything nonislamic and they consider themselves slaves and not as free. Their religion preaches against the 2 pre existing Abrahamic faiths which both teach love and tollerance and not to judge. Islam does not teach mercy; quite the opposite. So, no thanks. Judaism quit having prophets. Then Jesus was born. Since Jesus' birth Jews have quit doing animal sacrifices and are still looking for the messiah to come. I consider Jesus the fulfillment of Judaism and the enemy of Islamic teachings, thus he is the middleground. In more detail, he taught love, mercy, forgiveness, not to judge others to any final judgement, love evenyour enemy, and love God. The human mind naturally can gravitate towards Jesus' teachings. His teachings are good. He was also a good psychologist telling not to worry about tomorrow until tomorrow. Psychology teaches to "live in the moment." He taught to think on positive things.(another core principle of psychology) He also taught loving others. A key principle in psychology is that when you live for others it reduces anxiety because you are thinking less about yourself.(taking focus off of self<faith>) He taught to not worry about where everything will come from and to leave it in God's hands. (Psychology teaches to not worry about things beyond your control). It is really the perfect belief system for good spiritual and mental health if practiced in honesty and used properly. Listening to Christ has been a betterment of myself. My grandmother is from a Buhdist country and said that Buhdism gave no answer to anything. It had good teachings but no answers for God, eternal life, and most certainly no savior. If I was not a Christian I would look into Judaism or Hinduism purely based on a moral perspective.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2015 2:11:37 PM
Hello, my question is:

Thanks for answering!

I believe what I have found to be most helpful, and true. Same as anyone else, I suppose.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2015 2:22:54 PM
Love, acceptance, and striving towards Ultimate Reality with Sincerity of faith alongside charity and forgiveness is True Religion. God is The Ultimate Reality, and God is One.

The faith is universal. The form it takes is dependent on cultural conditions it comes into relation with.

There is a unity of the prophets, a unity that is testified of in scripture. These divisions that people make among themselves are artificial. Truly, the church is universal. We are all in this together.

God Saves. The Truth will set you free. God is The Greatest.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2015 5:30:43 PM
At 11/3/2015 1:45:54 AM, GrittyWorm wrote:
Hello, my question is:

Thanks for answering!

Islam preaches intollerance for anything nonislamic and they consider themselves slaves and not as free. Their religion preaches against the 2 pre existing Abrahamic faiths which both teach love and tollerance and not to judge. Islam does not teach mercy; quite the opposite. So, no thanks. Judaism quit having prophets. Then Jesus was born. Since Jesus' birth Jews have quit doing animal sacrifices and are still looking for the messiah to come. I consider Jesus the fulfillment of Judaism and the enemy of Islamic teachings, thus he is the middleground. In more detail, he taught love, mercy, forgiveness, not to judge others to any final judgement, love evenyour enemy, and love God. The human mind naturally can gravitate towards Jesus' teachings. His teachings are good. He was also a good psychologist telling not to worry about tomorrow until tomorrow. Psychology teaches to "live in the moment." He taught to think on positive things.(another core principle of psychology) He also taught loving others. A key principle in psychology is that when you live for others it reduces anxiety because you are thinking less about yourself.(taking focus off of self<faith>) He taught to not worry about where everything will come from and to leave it in God's hands. (Psychology teaches to not worry about things beyond your control). It is really the perfect belief system for good spiritual and mental health if practiced in honesty and used properly. Listening to Christ has been a betterment of myself. My grandmother is from a Buhdist country and said that Buhdism gave no answer to anything. It had good teachings but no answers for God, eternal life, and most certainly no savior. If I was not a Christian I would look into Judaism or Hinduism purely based on a moral perspective.

love your enemy means to love also satan the greatest enemy of mankind and God? do u love satan dude?
Never fart near dog
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2015 9:27:22 PM
Hello, my question is:

My answer is:

I believe in Bible God, because of the Bible. And I do that, because I see that Bible is correct in what it claims. And also because I think Bible tells the truth about humans. Bible doesn"t serve persons ego, like all other serious religions seem to do.

Also Bible is a testimony from many different people in long time period. It is not just one man"s story, which makes it more believable to me. And it is not tied to one moment of time. It tells correctly the past, present and future. It knew many things long before they happened. For example that Jews will be scattered and later gathered back to their land.

Other religions or other gods don"t really have any effect and they don"t even have many things to say, at least not wise things. Most other gods are like keeping neighbors tree as god. I don"t think it is wise.

If anyone desires to do his will, he will know about the teaching, whether it is from God, or if I am speaking from myself.
John 7:17
BlackFlags
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2015 9:54:01 PM
Hello, my question is:

Thanks for answering!

I am a theist but have recently decided to not affiliate with a specific religion for the time being.
Alexia_Francesconi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2015 11:49:51 PM
At 11/3/2015 9:27:22 PM, 12_13 wrote:
Hello, my question is:

My answer is:

I believe in Bible God, because of the Bible. And I do that, because I see that Bible is correct in what it claims. And also because I think Bible tells the truth about humans. Bible doesn"t serve persons ego, like all other serious religions seem to do.

Also Bible is a testimony from many different people in long time period. It is not just one man"s story, which makes it more believable to me. And it is not tied to one moment of time. It tells correctly the past, present and future. It knew many things long before they happened. For example that Jews will be scattered and later gathered back to their land.

Other religions or other gods don"t really have any effect and they don"t even have many things to say, at least not wise things. Most other gods are like keeping neighbors tree as god. I don"t think it is wise.

If anyone desires to do his will, he will know about the teaching, whether it is from God, or if I am speaking from myself.
John 7:17

This is a great answer, I would basically state the same. I believe it, also, because it was what I was brought up with. It's hard to change what you're brought up with and I've decided not to.

Hope this helped you =)
Old enough to know better, young enough to not care =P - Alexia Francesconi

=)
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2015 11:53:59 PM
Why did you choose your particular religion?

Some 60-70% of people choose the faith of their parents. So whatever reasons are given, they're unlikely to be based on objective consideration.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 3:10:49 AM
At 11/3/2015 11:53:59 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

Some 60-70% of people choose the faith of their parents. So whatever reasons are given, they're unlikely to be based on objective consideration.

She's closed her account. Didn't like the answers?
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 8:29:12 PM
At 11/3/2015 11:49:51 PM, Alexia_Francesconi wrote:
This is a great answer, ..

Thank you, nice to hear that you liked :)
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 8:33:45 PM
Hello, my question is:

Like many it was the religion I was born into.

Why, over all the other world religions?

Once I got old enough to start questioning, I found that no other religion had the depth of theology or philosophical cohesion.

Thanks for answering!

np.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 4:45:00 PM
At 11/3/2015 11:53:59 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

- Indeed. Beat me to it.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 4:46:02 PM
At 11/4/2015 8:33:45 PM, Geogeer wrote:
Hello, my question is:

Once I got old enough to start questioning, I found that no other religion had the depth of theology or philosophical cohesion.

- Maybe because you haven't explored the others quite enough!

Thanks for answering!

np.
Current Debates:

Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 9:30:52 PM
At 11/5/2015 4:46:02 PM, Yassine wrote:
Hello, my question is:

It ain't Islam.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 9:54:10 PM
At 11/5/2015 9:30:52 PM, Geogeer wrote:
Hello, my question is:

It ain't Islam.

- What ain't Islam?
Current Debates:

Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 10:16:56 PM
At 11/5/2015 9:54:10 PM, Yassine wrote:
At 11/5/2015 9:30:52 PM, Geogeer wrote:
Hello, my question is:

It ain't Islam.

- What ain't Islam?

The religion with greatest depth of theology, philosophy and teachings that best explain the world in which we are to live.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 10:17:26 PM
I speak the truth when I say that True Religion as spoken of by all the prophets is to love God, The Ultimate, The Highest Truth, and Greatest Existence who are all One with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength. It is to love your neighbor as yourself by practicing forgiveness and charity. It is to constantly purify yourself in order to better understand, embody, and reflect these things to others.

Islam is about submission and acceptance of God, not an entity called "Islam".

Christianity is about realizing that God is The One Who Saves, not an entity called "Christianity".

No matter how it is expressed, The Truth that has been independently verified time and time again, generation after generation, is that The Ultimate Reality is more important than anything, and realization of it brings forth many fruits.

Oh if they truly listened to God, Satan's place in this world would be abolished. That devil of pride that leads men to kill each other, to mislead and exploit the innocent, to sear public conscience with a hot iron that dulls sense; all this in order to fabricate an environment that leads people willingly into the fiery engines that feed Satan's ego. If only they knew! Alas, it is this way for a reason, and all powers were put into place by God. Woe to those who mistake the messenger for The Light, worshiping angels, demons, creation, themselves, and each other rather than looking past them and seeing The One King who sits on the throne! Woe to those who worship The Image rather than The Eternal and Uncreated Truth!
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 10:18:06 PM
At 11/5/2015 10:16:56 PM, Geogeer wrote:

- What ain't Islam?

The religion with greatest depth of theology, philosophy and teachings that best explain the world in which we are to live.

- & how do you know that?!
Current Debates:

uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 11:57:28 PM
Hello, my question is:

Thanks for answering!

By sincere examination one able to prove the truth of Islam over the other religions.
Isaiah58
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 5:18:08 AM
At 11/5/2015 11:57:28 PM, uncung wrote:
Hello, my question is:

Thanks for answering!

By sincere examination one able to prove the truth of Islam over the other religions.

I agree with uncung's idea that a sincere examination of a belief is the only way to go because, after all, we are all seeking the truth. But, I disagree with the statement that Islam is that truth. In Surah 4, ayah 157, the Qur'an denies that Jesus was murdered on the cross. This is in direct contradiction with even the most skeptical scholar that has done any research into the primary sources. Also, the author of the Qur'an lacks a knowledge of the Christian Trinity when it discusses the concept of "say you not three" and calling Christians polytheists. This was a doctrine that was well established by the time of the writing of the Qur'an between 609 and 632 AD. These are just two of the inconsistencies in a book that claims divine revelation. I guess, nikidavis, to answer your question, I would say that I came to the belief in my religion by entering every day, every study, and every debate with an open mind to uncover the truth. Saying that, I have found that the further and further that I dig, the more my faith and belief is strengthened in the Christian Bible. For almost 18 yrs now, I've pushed as many different worldview concepts to exhaustion as possible in search of the truth, and I have found everything but Christianity to be wanting.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 6:51:55 AM
At 11/6/2015 5:18:08 AM, Isaiah58 wrote:
Hello, my question is:

Thanks for answering!

I agree with uncung's idea that a sincere examination of a belief is the only way to go because, after all, we are all seeking the truth. But, I disagree with the statement that Islam is that truth. In Surah 4, ayah 157, the Qur'an denies that Jesus was murdered on the cross. This is in direct contradiction with even the most skeptical scholar that has done any research into the primary sources. Also, the author of the Qur'an lacks a knowledge of the Christian Trinity when it discusses the concept of "say you not three" and calling Christians polytheists. This was a doctrine that was well established by the time of the writing of the Qur'an between 609 and 632 AD. These are just two of the inconsistencies in a book that claims divine revelation. I guess, nikidavis, to answer your question, I would say that I came to the belief in my religion by entering every day, every study, and every debate with an open mind to uncover the truth. Saying that, I have found that the further and further that I dig, the more my faith and belief is strengthened in the Christian Bible. For almost 18 yrs now, I've pushed as many different worldview concepts to exhaustion as possible in search of the truth, and I have found everything but Christianity to be wanting.

and which is the true version? Islam or Christianity?
Isaiah58
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 8:31:43 AM
At 11/6/2015 6:51:55 AM, uncung wrote:
At 11/6/2015 5:18:08 AM, Isaiah58 wrote:
Hello, my question is:

Thanks for answering!

The one true religion is Christianity. I have read and studied both the Bible and the Qur'an for many years, and there are too many inconsistencies in the Qur'an for me to believe in its claim to be divinely inspired. If the author of the Qur'an is omniscient, then how do you explain the two errors that I pointed out in my last post? If you believe that the Qur'an is divinely inspired and without error, then you deny the proven fact that Jesus was murdered. If you believe that the Qur'an was divinely inspired and without error, then why did the author not understand the concept of the Trinity? The Qur'an's author views the Christian Trinity to include Mary. I agree with many of the earlier responses in this thread saying that so many people just accept the faith/beliefs that they were raised with, and I wish that would change. I wish more people would truly study and know their faith, so that we could sit and have these types of discussions in search of the truth instead of the superficial arguments that too often happen.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 3:00:45 PM

The one true religion is Christianity. I have read and studied both the Bible and the Qur'an for many years, and there are too many inconsistencies in the Qur'an for me to believe in its claim to be divinely inspired. If the author of the Qur'an is omniscient, then how do you explain the two errors that I pointed out in my last post? If you believe that the Qur'an is divinely inspired and without error, then you deny the proven fact that Jesus was murdered. If you believe that the Qur'an was divinely inspired and without error, then why did the author not understand the concept of the Trinity? The Qur'an's author views the Christian Trinity to include Mary. I agree with many of the earlier responses in this thread saying that so many people just accept the faith/beliefs that they were raised with, and I wish that would change. I wish more people would truly study and know their faith, so that we could sit and have these types of discussions in search of the truth instead of the superficial arguments that too often happen.

Can you show the inconsistencies of Quran's passages to me?
I am glad to know the errors of Quran. Perhaps it will help you to convince Muslims to leave their religion.
Do you know catholic still worship Mary? the Christian Coptic as well.
Isaiah58
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 4:21:34 AM
At 11/6/2015 3:00:45 PM, uncung wrote:

I am glad to know the errors of Quran. Perhaps it will help you to convince Muslims to leave their religion.

Sure...give me a little while to put together the post because I want to be thorough and accurate. A great resource you might like is the book "What Every Christian Needs to Know About the Qur'an" by Dr. James White. It's a great book by a great scholar.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 4:40:04 AM

Did you know that Muhammad thought the trinity was composed of god, mary and jesus?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 4:41:38 AM
At 11/7/2015 4:21:34 AM, Isaiah58 wrote:

Sure...give me a little while to put together the post because I want to be thorough and accurate. A great resource you might like is the book "What Every Christian Needs to Know About the Qur'an" by Dr. James White. It's a great book by a great scholar.

I can't wait.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 4:42:19 AM
At 11/7/2015 4:40:04 AM, bulproof wrote:

Did you know that Muhammad thought the trinity was composed of god, mary and jesus?

Did he say like that?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 4:55:20 AM
At 11/7/2015 4:42:19 AM, uncung wrote:

Did he say like that?
read his book.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 4:59:24 AM
At 11/7/2015 4:55:20 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/7/2015 4:42:19 AM, uncung wrote:

Did he say like that?
read his book.

Ok. Good.