Jump to topic:

Is new atheism dying out or is it flourishing

Sunfire315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2015 10:31:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The "new atheism" movement was huge in the early two thousands, but i wonder: does it have the same momentum nowadays?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 4:33:14 PM
At 11/3/2015 10:31:22 PM, Sunfire315 wrote:
The "new atheism" movement was huge in the early two thousands, but i wonder: does it have the same momentum nowadays?

How would we go about determining that - continiung growth of non belief in the masses? If so, I would say it is still very much alive.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 5:10:16 PM
The new atheists are seeking new converts. The initial wave of monkey believers that joined them as a logical choice and extension of Natural Selection of monkey ancestors tilted tbe balance towards stupid. The New Atheists are now looking for Christian converts of the garden variety as opposed to jungle raised monkey believers.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 5:11:12 PM

I don't believe it was ever a movement, Sunfire, so much as a publishing category.

The irreligious have always been critical of religion, just the religious have criticised one another's faiths. Moreover, religious superstitions such belief in heaven, angels, demons, divine intervention, and other kinds of magical thinking, have been criticised since the Enlightenment -- even by the religious.

Moreover, religious hatred of the irreligious dates back millennia, along with terror that irreligion will become popular and undermine their claims to authority.

So I don't see that there's anything in so-called New Atheism that's new -- except that it's now a publishing category so the books get shelved together.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 5:33:11 PM
The more we know, the less we need faith.

No wonder religion is dying out in educated societies.
Sunfire315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 5:38:38 PM
I think you are misdefining faith. Faith is trust. whether this trust is based on evidence or not is dependent upon the person.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 6:37:49 PM
At 11/4/2015 5:40:21 PM, Sunfire315 wrote:
I.E Somebody could say they have "faith" in the scientific method.

Or swing from a tree to test the theory their common ancestors were monkeys.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 7:27:15 PM
I think that "New Atheism" is dying, but atheism itself is not.

I have seen more and more YouTube atheists moving onto other things, I hear less and less about Richard Dawkins or Lawrence Krauss, etc.

I actually think this could be a good thing. This means that there will end up being other people that lead the "atheist movement" that will appear. I think that we could influence that outcome to be atheists that argue moreso with logic and reasoning than emotion and politics.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 7:48:10 PM

It is dying. The death basically started with the death of Hitchens. That doesn't mean that it is being replaced with religion.

It is being replaced with ignorance. The youth don't really know and don't care either way. They live a hedonistic lifestyle and accept whatever vestiges of Christian morality they deem not to interfere with the lifestyle they want to live.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 8:56:41 PM
At 11/4/2015 7:48:10 PM, Geogeer wrote:

It is dying. The death basically started with the death of Hitchens. That doesn't mean that it is being replaced with religion.

It is being replaced with ignorance. The youth don't really know and don't care either way. They live a hedonistic lifestyle and accept whatever vestiges of Christian morality they deem not to interfere with the lifestyle they want to live.

Roll on the day when all our young can be ignorant of religion.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 9:21:01 PM

It is dying. And that is for the better.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 9:29:59 PM

There are no "new atheists". They are just more vocal about it. You no longer have to worry about getting your head cut off for your (non) belief, unless of course you live in a Muslim country.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 10:47:18 PM
At 11/4/2015 5:38:38 PM, Sunfire315 wrote:

I think you are misdefining faith. Faith is trust. whether this trust is based on evidence or not is dependent upon the person.

No. You are conflating two different meanings of the word 'faith':

faith
noun
complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
"this restores one's faith in politicians"
synonyms:trust, belief, confidence, conviction, credence, reliance, dependence;
strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.
"bereaved people who have shown supreme faith"
synonyms:religion, church, sect, denomination, persuasion, religious persuasion, religious belief, belief, code of belief, ideology, creed, teaching, dogma, doctrine
"she gave her life for her faith"
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 10:50:03 PM

On the contrary there is a correlation between higher levels of education and decreased religiosity. Faith is being replaced by education. Religion thrives on ignorance and poverty.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 11:01:45 PM
At 11/4/2015 10:50:03 PM, dee-em wrote:

On the contrary there is a correlation between higher levels of education and decreased religiosity. Faith is being replaced by education. Religion thrives on ignorance and poverty.

Case in point.
Sunfire315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 11:12:54 PM
While i agree that religion is in decline in the west, it is because in our couched lives we can try and forget God. Knowledge of science doesn't lead to unbelief, though ironically studying the humanities does
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 11:19:06 PM
At 11/4/2015 11:01:45 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Case in point.

Getting snarky now, Geo?

Here, argue with this:

https://www.psychologytoday.com...

Atheists/agnostics, closely followed by Jews, had the most knowledge of world religions, such as Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism. Atheists/agnostics and Jews tend to be more educated than the other groups, and more education is associated with greater religious knowledge. However, even after taking education into account, atheists/agnostics and Jews still maintained their knowledge advantage over Christians generally. The Pew survey also included a short test of general knowledge for comparative purposes. Atheists and agnostics also scored higher on this test than any other group, although Jews were again a close second, Mormons did somewhat less well, and other Christians were even further behind.

The Pew survey found that respondents who believed that the Bible was the literal word of God tended to have less religious knowledge than those who endorsed a less literal interpretation, particularly those who said it was a collection of fables. Other studies have found that conservative Christians and fundamentalists tend to have poorer knowledge of science (Sherkat, 2011) and to have a poorer vocabulary (Sherkat, 2010) compared to other religious groups and the religiously unaffiliated. Sherkat (2010) has argued that conservative Christians actually shun information from external sources and scorn the search for knowledge as sinful in that it is equated with pridefulness and self-love. Additionally, they try to "purify" information sources they attend to, e.g. only viewing media sources that are loyal to Christian doctrine. Such close-minded attitudes may then prove a barrier to learning, resulting in less knowledge.
distraff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 1:45:25 AM

The percent that are non-religious has risen from 16% to 23%. The percent that is Christian has fallen from by 6% of the population. Christians are becoming non-religious.
http://www.pewforum.org...

Not only this, but non-religiosity is growing among every age group. Currently millenials are 32% non-religious and the most religious groups are older people who are going to die soon. We are probably going to see the percent that is non-religious pass 40% over the next few decades.
http://www.npr.org...

And just think the percent that were non-religious was like 8% in 2000, around 16% around 2007, and 23% in 2015. Who knows, maybe 40% by 2040.
Sunfire315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 3:33:12 AM
Thats in america, but not worldwide. Worldwide atheism is shrinking. http://www.reasonablefaith.org...
and unaffiliated does NOT necessarily mean atheist or agnostic.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 5:08:56 AM
At 11/5/2015 3:33:12 AM, Sunfire315 wrote:
Thats in america, but not worldwide. Worldwide atheism is shrinking. http://www.reasonablefaith.org...
and unaffiliated does NOT necessarily mean atheist or agnostic.

Not the full story. The number of atheists is still growing but the overall percentage is declining because of the re-emergence of religion in communist countries such as Russia and China. Once this effect tapers off you can expect that the percentage of atheists will start growing again.
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 9:01:40 AM
At 11/4/2015 5:40:21 PM, Sunfire315 wrote:

the scientific method doesn't require faith
the scientific method is proven by being demonstrated, testable, and repeatable
almost every religion requires faith, but how many believers are willing to demonstrate, test or repeat their claims to peer review?

the only thing that can disprove science, is more science
are your gods even capable of convincing me of their existence?
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 5:56:38 PM

What you fail to mention is tbe correlatio between higher education and irrational beliefs.

"January 20, 2006 issue of LiveScience, "according to a new study higher education is linked to a greater tendency to believe in ghosts and other paranormal phenomena."

Even though researchers Bryan Farha at Oklahoma City University and Gary Steward of University of Central Oklahoma admitted that they had expectations of finding contrary results, their poll of college students found that seniors and graduate students were more likely to believe in haunted houses, ghosts, telepathy, spirit channeling and other paranormal phenomena than were freshmen."

From eSkeptic:
"For each sample, we correlated the participant"s test score with their average [paranormal] belief score. Across all three samples, there was no relationship between the level of science knowledge and skepticism regarding paranormal claims."

In short higher education in science does not lead to higher skepticism regarding paranormal claims.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 8:06:19 PM
At 11/5/2015 5:56:38 PM, Harikrish wrote:

What you fail to mention is tbe correlatio between higher education and irrational beliefs.

"January 20, 2006 issue of LiveScience, "according to a new study higher education is linked to a greater tendency to believe in ghosts and other paranormal phenomena."

Even though researchers Bryan Farha at Oklahoma City University and Gary Steward of University of Central Oklahoma admitted that they had expectations of finding contrary results, their poll of college students found that seniors and graduate students were more likely to believe in haunted houses, ghosts, telepathy, spirit channeling and other paranormal phenomena than were freshmen."

From eSkeptic:
"For each sample, we correlated the participant"s test score with their average [paranormal] belief score. Across all three samples, there was no relationship between the level of science knowledge and skepticism regarding paranormal claims."

In short higher education in science does not lead to higher skepticism regarding paranormal claims.

Well done Hari, irrelevant as ever
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 8:22:57 PM
At 11/5/2015 8:06:19 PM, desmac wrote:
At 11/5/2015 5:56:38 PM, Harikrish wrote:

What you fail to mention is the correlation between higher education and irrational beliefs.

From eSkeptic:

Well done Hari, irrelevant as ever

The post was a response to dee-em's comment on higher education. You just have to learn to read better.