Total Posts:227|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

God must be blind

dee-em
Posts: 6,473
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 9:21:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
It is generally understood by theists that God is immaterial. That means that he has no way to interact with the material world. We see by photons (electromagnetic radiation in a specific band) bouncing off material objects and stimulating receptors in the retina of our eyes and then being converted into signals which are passed into the brain for processing to form an image. (The image in our retina is upside down for starters and has to be flipped by the brain).

God has no eyes for detecting photons of any wavelength. He has no ears to form a sonic image like bats do. He has no sensory apparatus at all since he is immaterial (assumed to be pure mind). Therefore God must be blind (and deaf and dumb, etc.).
kp98
Posts: 729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 9:24:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Ah, but God moves in mysterious ways. Presumably he sees and hears in mysterious ways too.
dee-em
Posts: 6,473
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 9:32:27 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 9:24:25 AM, kp98 wrote:
Ah, but God moves in mysterious ways. Presumably he sees and hears in mysterious ways too.

Only if mysterious = impossible.
DanMGTOW
Posts: 1,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 9:34:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 9:24:25 AM, kp98 wrote:
Ah, but God moves in mysterious ways. Presumably he sees and hears in mysterious ways too.

it's too bad that god isn't able to actually talk to people, or there would only be 1 religion
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 1:22:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 9:21:26 AM, dee-em wrote:
It is generally understood by theists that God is immaterial. That means that he has no way to interact with the material world. We see by photons (electromagnetic radiation in a specific band) bouncing off material objects and stimulating receptors in the retina of our eyes and then being converted into signals which are passed into the brain for processing to form an image. (The image in our retina is upside down for starters and has to be flipped by the brain).

Yes yes we know how the material body functions atheist, obviously the spirit operates both similarly and differently from the physical otherwise it wouldn't be SPIRITUAL lol, know what I mean?
I'll only get into two things briefly from above seeing how it is easy to sense the intent and manner of your post, which is no surprise it's that good ol subtle sarcastic thing, doesn't mix well with spirituality and awareness so you won't get very far.
Anyway when we say God is "immaterial" it's just a way to distinguish that which is "human" or of a flesh body from an entity which is not, spirits may very well have properties but it is knowledge not fully understood or known yet, only logic and experience can be used to determine some things in this case. Flesh bodies decay but the spirit does not and so if God had flesh He would also be subject to death, which of course is idiotic to suggest.
The spirit I use in this case is referring to consciousness, the observer, spirit man or whatever you wish to call it, it's the conscious being away from the flesh body. We are just using these material bodies to inhabit and observe this earth, the spirit is pure consciousness, light and energy, when we leave this body we no longer have use for the way we observe our universe in the physical, we will observe another dimension one that has no need and barriers of the flesh.
Just because we use these terms doesn't mean a "spirit" is nothingness, a spirit is a conscious being that is observing without the restrictions of the material body but they have substance, the properties of substance is not yet fact. For example if a "spirit" wanted me to know it was there I could "sense" it without my flesh eyes, they emit and that is how I can pick up on it, what they "emit" I don't know yet but out of the body and in spirit they can be fully observed.
Our material eyes cannot normally see a spirit because the material eye is limited in the full spectrum of what can be observed however if you had x-ray or infrared vision you might have a chance lol...

You say God cannot interact with the material world but that is untrue you can only see from a material perspective, that is the danger of buying into that mindset, you become what you never wanted to and that would be close-minded and indoctrinated. If you ever wish to obtain spirituality in your life you will have to learn and be open to more than one form of knowledge.

God has no eyes for detecting photons of any wavelength. He has no ears to form a sonic image like bats do. He has no sensory apparatus at all since he is immaterial (assumed to be pure mind). Therefore God must be blind (and deaf and dumb, etc.).

Actually because of the fact God has no flesh eyes as you do is the reason He sees much more than you lol, as your little material eyes can only capture certain wavelengths, when you become pure spirit you see it all, there are no limitations that is why when people leave their body it is far more illuminated, they are seeing the full spectrum.
You have to remember that many things of the spirit are not fully known, we are observing spiritual things while in a physical body, things that can't be harnessed and brought into a lab for research, we have to just accept what we know and have in the moment and learn what we can. Look, the same thing goes for science, we keep moving forward and learning and knowledge seems to never end and spirituality is the same way, it is a cultivation and something that is developed through application.
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 1:33:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 9:21:26 AM, dee-em wrote:
It is generally understood by theists that God is immaterial. That means that he has no way to interact with the material world. We see by photons (electromagnetic radiation in a specific band) bouncing off material objects and stimulating receptors in the retina of our eyes and then being converted into signals which are passed into the brain for processing to form an image. (The image in our retina is upside down for starters and has to be flipped by the brain).

God has no eyes for detecting photons of any wavelength. He has no ears to form a sonic image like bats do. He has no sensory apparatus at all since he is immaterial (assumed to be pure mind). Therefore God must be blind (and deaf and dumb, etc.).

The deity lives in the human mind and is not external to it, imo. Therefore the deity is limited by the human imagination!
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 1:45:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 1:33:20 PM, JJ50 wrote:
At 11/5/2015 9:21:26 AM, dee-em wrote:
It is generally understood by theists that God is immaterial. That means that he has no way to interact with the material world. We see by photons (electromagnetic radiation in a specific band) bouncing off material objects and stimulating receptors in the retina of our eyes and then being converted into signals which are passed into the brain for processing to form an image. (The image in our retina is upside down for starters and has to be flipped by the brain).

God has no eyes for detecting photons of any wavelength. He has no ears to form a sonic image like bats do. He has no sensory apparatus at all since he is immaterial (assumed to be pure mind). Therefore God must be blind (and deaf and dumb, etc.).

The deity lives in the human mind and is not external to it, imo. Therefore the deity is limited by the human imagination!

Wrong, the human mind has nothing to do with God and His existence. The flesh body is limited to the spirit, but the spirit is not limited to the material, that is just your imagination..
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 1:56:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 1:45:49 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 11/5/2015 1:33:20 PM, JJ50 wrote:
At 11/5/2015 9:21:26 AM, dee-em wrote:
It is generally understood by theists that God is immaterial. That means that he has no way to interact with the material world. We see by photons (electromagnetic radiation in a specific band) bouncing off material objects and stimulating receptors in the retina of our eyes and then being converted into signals which are passed into the brain for processing to form an image. (The image in our retina is upside down for starters and has to be flipped by the brain).

God has no eyes for detecting photons of any wavelength. He has no ears to form a sonic image like bats do. He has no sensory apparatus at all since he is immaterial (assumed to be pure mind). Therefore God must be blind (and deaf and dumb, etc.).

The deity lives in the human mind and is not external to it, imo. Therefore the deity is limited by the human imagination!

Wrong, the human mind has nothing to do with God and His existence. The flesh body is limited to the spirit, but the spirit is not limited to the material, that is just your imagination..

And you know that for a fact because???????????????????
dee-em
Posts: 6,473
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 2:01:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 1:22:09 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 11/5/2015 9:21:26 AM, dee-em wrote:
It is generally understood by theists that God is immaterial. That means that he has no way to interact with the material world. We see by photons (electromagnetic radiation in a specific band) bouncing off material objects and stimulating receptors in the retina of our eyes and then being converted into signals which are passed into the brain for processing to form an image. (The image in our retina is upside down for starters and has to be flipped by the brain).

Yes yes we know how the material body functions atheist, obviously the spirit operates both similarly and differently from the physical otherwise it wouldn't be SPIRITUAL lol, know what I mean?

Um, I accepted in the OP that theists understand God to be immaterial/spiritual (whatever that may mean).

I'll only get into two things briefly from above seeing how it is easy to sense the intent and manner of your post, which is no surprise it's that good ol subtle sarcastic thing, doesn't mix well with spirituality and awareness so you won't get very far.

Good. Carry on.

Anyway when we say God is "immaterial" it's just a way to distinguish that which is "human" or of a flesh body from an entity which is not, spirits may very well have properties but it is knowledge not fully understood or known yet, only logic and experience can be used to determine some things in this case. Flesh bodies decay but the spirit does not and so if God had flesh He would also be subject to death, which of course is idiotic to suggest.

I didn't suggest it. I was only questioning how he could have vision as an immaterial entity.

The spirit I use in this case is referring to consciousness, the observer, spirit man or whatever you wish to call it, it's the conscious being away from the flesh body. We are just using these material bodies to inhabit and observe this earth, the spirit is pure consciousness, light and energy, when we leave this body we no longer have use for the way we observe our universe in the physical, we will observe another dimension one that has no need and barriers of the flesh.

I was talking about God not alleged human souls. I fail to see the relevance.

Just because we use these terms doesn't mean a "spirit" is nothingness, a spirit is a conscious being that is observing without the restrictions of the material body but they have substance, the properties of substance is not yet fact.

If it's not fact how can you know anything about it?

For example if a "spirit" wanted me to know it was there I could "sense" it without my flesh eyes, they emit and that is how I can pick up on it, what they "emit" I don't know yet but out of the body and in spirit they can be fully observed.

These are just unsubstantiated assertions and irrelevant anyway to my point about God being blind to the material world.

Our material eyes cannot normally see a spirit because the material eye is limited in the full spectrum of what can be observed however if you had x-ray or infrared vision you might have a chance lol...

Um, no. But again irrelevant to my post.

You say God cannot interact with the material world but that is untrue you can only see from a material perspective, that is the danger of buying into that mindset, you become what you never wanted to and that would be close-minded and indoctrinated. If you ever wish to obtain spirituality in your life you will have to learn and be open to more than one form of knowledge.

I gather then that you can offer no explanation as to how God can see without eyes? All you seem to have is an appeal to emotion.

God has no eyes for detecting photons of any wavelength. He has no ears to form a sonic image like bats do. He has no sensory apparatus at all since he is immaterial (assumed to be pure mind). Therefore God must be blind (and deaf and dumb, etc.).

Actually because of the fact God has no flesh eyes as you do is the reason He sees much more than you lol, as your little material eyes can only capture certain wavelengths, when you become pure spirit you see it all, there are no limitations that is why when people leave their body it is far more illuminated, they are seeing the full spectrum.

But you just told us above that spiritual characteristics were unknown (not fact, in your words). Yet here you claim to know things about how spirits can see. You tell us what you imagine spirits can do but you can't explain how they do it. I've already outlined why vision to the immaterial is not possible. Refute my argument if you can.

You have to remember that many things of the spirit are not fully known, we are observing spiritual things while in a physical body, things that can't be harnessed and brought into a lab for research, we have to just accept what we know and have in the moment and learn what we can.

Please identify what we know about the spirit and how we know it, specifically how a spirit being can view anything in the material world. That is what this thread is about after all.

Look, the same thing goes for science, we keep moving forward and learning and knowledge seems to never end and spirituality is the same way, it is a cultivation and something that is developed through application.

Good to hear, though I am doubtful. Please tell us then what you and your fellow spiritualists have learnt about optics in relation to how spiritual beings can see.
Yassine
Posts: 2,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 4:56:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 9:21:26 AM, dee-em wrote:
It is generally understood by theists that God is immaterial. That means that he has no way to interact with the material world. We see by photons (electromagnetic radiation in a specific band) bouncing off material objects and stimulating receptors in the retina of our eyes and then being converted into signals which are passed into the brain for processing to form an image. (The image in our retina is upside down for starters and has to be flipped by the brain).

God has no eyes for detecting photons of any wavelength. He has no ears to form a sonic image like bats do. He has no sensory apparatus at all since he is immaterial (assumed to be pure mind). Therefore God must be blind (and deaf and dumb, etc.).

- Your reasoning assumes that God is akin to human being, & thus His attributes are akin to those of human beings. A simpler example would be, God is immaterial, thus doesn't have a brain, thus doesn't know anything!!!
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
edgar_winters
Posts: 49
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 5:47:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 9:21:26 AM, dee-em wrote:
It is generally understood by theists that God is immaterial. That means that he has no way to interact with the material world. We see by photons (electromagnetic radiation in a specific band) bouncing off material objects and stimulating receptors in the retina of our eyes and then being converted into signals which are passed into the brain for processing to form an image. (The image in our retina is upside down for starters and has to be flipped by the brain).

God has no eyes for detecting photons of any wavelength. He has no ears to form a sonic image like bats do. He has no sensory apparatus at all since he is immaterial (assumed to be pure mind). Therefore God must be blind (and deaf and dumb, etc.).: :

Psalm 94
7: and they say, "The LORD does not see; the God of Jacob does not perceive."
8: Understand, O dullest of the people! Fools, when will you be wise?
9: He who planted the ear, does he not hear? He who formed the eye, does he not see?
10: He who chastens the nations, does he not chastise? He who teaches men knowledge,
11: the LORD, knows the thoughts of man, that they are but a breath.
edgar_winters
Posts: 49
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 5:49:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 9:34:12 AM, DanMGTOW wrote:
At 11/5/2015 9:24:25 AM, kp98 wrote:
Ah, but God moves in mysterious ways. Presumably he sees and hears in mysterious ways too.

it's too bad that god isn't able to actually talk to people, or there would only be 1 religion : :

He has spoken to all his prophets, saints and a few believers. Since he hasn't spoken to you, you have no way of knowing him.
edgar_winters
Posts: 49
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 5:50:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 1:22:09 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 11/5/2015 9:21:26 AM, dee-em wrote:
It is generally understood by theists that God is immaterial. That means that he has no way to interact with the material world. We see by photons (electromagnetic radiation in a specific band) bouncing off material objects and stimulating receptors in the retina of our eyes and then being converted into signals which are passed into the brain for processing to form an image. (The image in our retina is upside down for starters and has to be flipped by the brain).

Yes yes we know how the material body functions atheist, obviously the spirit operates both similarly and differently from the physical otherwise it wouldn't be SPIRITUAL lol, know what I mean?
I'll only get into two things briefly from above seeing how it is easy to sense the intent and manner of your post, which is no surprise it's that good ol subtle sarcastic thing, doesn't mix well with spirituality and awareness so you won't get very far.
Anyway when we say God is "immaterial" it's just a way to distinguish that which is "human" or of a flesh body from an entity which is not, spirits may very well have properties but it is knowledge not fully understood or known yet, only logic and experience can be used to determine some things in this case. Flesh bodies decay but the spirit does not and so if God had flesh He would also be subject to death, which of course is idiotic to suggest.
The spirit I use in this case is referring to consciousness, the observer, spirit man or whatever you wish to call it, it's the conscious being away from the flesh body. We are just using these material bodies to inhabit and observe this earth, the spirit is pure consciousness, light and energy, when we leave this body we no longer have use for the way we observe our universe in the physical, we will observe another dimension one that has no need and barriers of the flesh.
Just because we use these terms doesn't mean a "spirit" is nothingness, a spirit is a conscious being that is observing without the restrictions of the material body but they have substance, the properties of substance is not yet fact. For example if a "spirit" wanted me to know it was there I could "sense" it without my flesh eyes, they emit and that is how I can pick up on it, what they "emit" I don't know yet but out of the body and in spirit they can be fully observed.
Our material eyes cannot normally see a spirit because the material eye is limited in the full spectrum of what can be observed however if you had x-ray or infrared vision you might have a chance lol...

You say God cannot interact with the material world but that is untrue you can only see from a material perspective, that is the danger of buying into that mindset, you become what you never wanted to and that would be close-minded and indoctrinated. If you ever wish to obtain spirituality in your life you will have to learn and be open to more than one form of knowledge.

God has no eyes for detecting photons of any wavelength. He has no ears to form a sonic image like bats do. He has no sensory apparatus at all since he is immaterial (assumed to be pure mind). Therefore God must be blind (and deaf and dumb, etc.).

Actually because of the fact God has no flesh eyes as you do is the reason He sees much more than you lol, as your little material eyes can only capture certain wavelengths, when you become pure spirit you see it all, there are no limitations that is why when people leave their body it is far more illuminated, they are seeing the full spectrum.
You have to remember that many things of the spirit are not fully known, we are observing spiritual things while in a physical body, things that can't be harnessed and brought into a lab for research, we have to just accept what we know and have in the moment and learn what we can. Look, the same thing goes for science, we keep moving forward and learning and knowledge seems to never end and spirituality is the same way, it is a cultivation and something that is developed through application. : :

Psalm 94
7: and they say, "The LORD does not see; the God of Jacob does not perceive."
8: Understand, O dullest of the people! Fools, when will you be wise?
9: He who planted the ear, does he not hear? He who formed the eye, does he not see?
10: He who chastens the nations, does he not chastise? He who teaches men knowledge,
11: the LORD, knows the thoughts of man, that they are but a breath.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 6:11:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 9:21:26 AM, dee-em wrote:
It is generally understood by theists that God is immaterial. That means that he has no way to interact with the material world.

Bare assertion. Why does being immaterial mean no interaction with the material? Can you substantiate this assumption.

We see by photons (electromagnetic radiation in a specific band) bouncing off material objects and stimulating receptors in the retina of our eyes and then being converted into signals which are passed into the brain for processing to form an image. (The image in our retina is upside down for starters and has to be flipped by the brain).

God has no eyes for detecting photons of any wavelength. He has no ears to form a sonic image like bats do. He has no sensory apparatus at all since he is immaterial (assumed to be pure mind). Therefore God must be blind (and deaf and dumb, etc.).

Sensory apparatus is a material organ by which a mind receives information about it's surroundings. This is a work around for the localization of the mind. God is a mind that is universal and omniscient. One could say information about reality is either directly perceived by the mental state of God or that reality is directly constructed from the mental state of God. Either would sufficiently by pass a need for material sensory organs.

More so the idea of God seeing or hearing is an anthropomorphic projection onto an entity whose nature can not be understood by human minds.

We perform the same projections with our pets, whales, and other cognitive creatures. We really have no basis to assume that their thoughts are like our thoughts (especially since what we relate to as cognitive thought is a voice in our heads (verbal language).

Does a creature have to have a large vocabulary to be cognitive of it's existence and to "think" about things?

So I await to see your arguments that the immaterial can not interact with the physical.

I await your objection that remarks of God seeing or hearing is anthropomorphic semantics to facilitate an understanding of an entity with experiences beyond human experience.

But I would agree God does not see with human eyes, or hear with human ears. What a genius you are.
DanMGTOW
Posts: 1,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 6:25:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 5:49:28 PM, edgar_winters wrote:
At 11/5/2015 9:34:12 AM, DanMGTOW wrote:
At 11/5/2015 9:24:25 AM, kp98 wrote:
Ah, but God moves in mysterious ways. Presumably he sees and hears in mysterious ways too.

it's too bad that god isn't able to actually talk to people, or there would only be 1 religion : :

He has spoken to all his prophets, saints and a few believers. Since he hasn't spoken to you, you have no way of knowing him.

does your god want me to be a believer? if so then what is your god waiting for?
is your god even able to communicate with me?
is your god even capable of convincing me it exists?
does your god need my permission to act?
if so, then tell your god it has permission. i want proof that your god is real, i want a life changing event, no matter what it takes. the bible doesn't say god needed saul's permission on the road to damascus.
what other excuse can you come up with to blame unbelievers for your god's weaknesses?
janesix
Posts: 3,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 8:19:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 9:21:26 AM, dee-em wrote:
It is generally understood by theists that God is immaterial. That means that he has no way to interact with the material world. We see by photons (electromagnetic radiation in a specific band) bouncing off material objects and stimulating receptors in the retina of our eyes and then being converted into signals which are passed into the brain for processing to form an image. (The image in our retina is upside down for starters and has to be flipped by the brain).

God has no eyes for detecting photons of any wavelength. He has no ears to form a sonic image like bats do. He has no sensory apparatus at all since he is immaterial (assumed to be pure mind). Therefore God must be blind (and deaf and dumb, etc.).

"God" sees through us, every organism with eyes. We are all part of one living organism. You can call it God or the Universe, or whatever name fits.
GrittyWorm
Posts: 1,566
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 8:52:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
He is not material by our definition just as we are not material based on such definition by the Sims in Simcity. Their idea of material is meaningless in our existance.
GrittyWorm
Posts: 1,566
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 8:55:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The Atheists on this forum just don't seem to be able to think in a deep, profound way. I must say, I am disappointed. I expected a little ability to percieve beyond 1 inch in front of self in comprehension and ability of nonabstract thought. Bats can't see but percieve everything around them. Feel better?.
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 8:56:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 8:52:14 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:
He is not material by our definition just as we are not material based on such definition by the Sims in Simcity. Their idea of material is meaningless in our existance.

Simulations do not have ideas. Their programmers do.
edgar_winters
Posts: 49
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 9:14:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 6:25:59 PM, DanMGTOW wrote:
At 11/5/2015 5:49:28 PM, edgar_winters wrote:
At 11/5/2015 9:34:12 AM, DanMGTOW wrote:
At 11/5/2015 9:24:25 AM, kp98 wrote:
Ah, but God moves in mysterious ways. Presumably he sees and hears in mysterious ways too.

it's too bad that god isn't able to actually talk to people, or there would only be 1 religion : :

He has spoken to all his prophets, saints and a few believers. Since he hasn't spoken to you, you have no way of knowing him.

does your god want me to be a believer? if so then what is your god waiting for? : :

Be patient. God's plan is to get rid of all the inhabitants on this earth before we wake up in the new inhabitants of the new earth. Then you won't have to believe in God anymore. You will know that he exists and will give us life experiences forever and ever.

is your god even able to communicate with me? : :

He is communicating with you right now.

is your god even capable of convincing me it exists? : :

Sure he can but so far, I don't see any proof that he has chosen you to be one of his believers.

does your god need my permission to act? : :

No. You're acting according to his will, anyway.

if so, then tell your god it has permission. i want proof that your god is real, i want a life changing event, no matter what it takes. the bible doesn't say god needed saul's permission on the road to damascus. : :

The Bible can't speak and it will never speak in the future. Only God can speak into your mind.

what other excuse can you come up with to blame unbelievers for your god's weaknesses? : :

I don't have any excuses. I know God and how he has chosen certain people called prophets, saints and believers for his purpose to teach us who we are and what his future plans are for us.
12_13
Posts: 1,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 9:17:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 9:21:26 AM, dee-em wrote:
It is generally understood by theists that God is immaterial. That means that he has no way to interact with the material world.

That is like saying; humans are not bits, so humans have no way to interact with computers.
edgar_winters
Posts: 49
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 9:38:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 8:56:42 PM, desmac wrote:
At 11/5/2015 8:52:14 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:
He is not material by our definition just as we are not material based on such definition by the Sims in Simcity. Their idea of material is meaningless in our existance.

Simulations do not have ideas. Their programmers do. : :

You're right. Programmers can only make their characters appear to have ideas like the programmer who designed the simulation we're living in.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 9:39:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 9:21:26 AM, dee-em wrote:
It is generally understood by theists that God is immaterial. That means that he has no way to interact with the material world. We see by photons (electromagnetic radiation in a specific band) bouncing off material objects and stimulating receptors in the retina of our eyes and then being converted into signals which are passed into the brain for processing to form an image. (The image in our retina is upside down for starters and has to be flipped by the brain).

You used tbe wrong word. Immaterial does not mean non-material.

God has no eyes for detecting photons of any wavelength. He has no ears to form a sonic image like bats do. He has no sensory apparatus at all since he is immaterial (assumed to be pure mind). Therefore God must be blind (and deaf and dumb, etc.).

God is omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient. Why does He need you type of limited senses which cannot see beyond your own existence.
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 9:42:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 9:38:39 PM, edgar_winters wrote:
At 11/5/2015 8:56:42 PM, desmac wrote:
At 11/5/2015 8:52:14 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:
He is not material by our definition just as we are not material based on such definition by the Sims in Simcity. Their idea of material is meaningless in our existance.

Simulations do not have ideas. Their programmers do. : :

You're right. Programmers can only make their characters appear to have ideas like the programmer who designed the simulation we're living in.

You may be living a simulation, I shall continue to enjoy my real life.
edgar_winters
Posts: 49
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 9:51:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 9:42:59 PM, desmac wrote:
At 11/5/2015 9:38:39 PM, edgar_winters wrote:
At 11/5/2015 8:56:42 PM, desmac wrote:
At 11/5/2015 8:52:14 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:
He is not material by our definition just as we are not material based on such definition by the Sims in Simcity. Their idea of material is meaningless in our existance.

Simulations do not have ideas. Their programmers do. : :

You're right. Programmers can only make their characters appear to have ideas like the programmer who designed the simulation we're living in.

You may be living a simulation, I shall continue to enjoy my real life. : :

You shall keep enjoying life forever, especially in your new bodies.
GrittyWorm
Posts: 1,566
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 11:02:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 8:56:42 PM, desmac wrote:
At 11/5/2015 8:52:14 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:
He is not material by our definition just as we are not material based on such definition by the Sims in Simcity. Their idea of material is meaningless in our existance.

Simulations do not have ideas. Their programmers do.

Well...if created life, or a simulated entity, cannot have ideas, and only programmers do, then us, a created entity cannot "have ideas" because we were created/programmed over time, and a once unreal, but now "real" entity, like ourselves cannot "have ideas." No simulated or once unreal entity can have ideas. Only a programmer can have ideas. And who programmed us?
janesix
Posts: 3,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 11:04:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 9:51:21 PM, edgar_winters wrote:
At 11/5/2015 9:42:59 PM, desmac wrote:
At 11/5/2015 9:38:39 PM, edgar_winters wrote:
At 11/5/2015 8:56:42 PM, desmac wrote:
At 11/5/2015 8:52:14 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:
He is not material by our definition just as we are not material based on such definition by the Sims in Simcity. Their idea of material is meaningless in our existance.

Simulations do not have ideas. Their programmers do. : :

You're right. Programmers can only make their characters appear to have ideas like the programmer who designed the simulation we're living in.

You may be living a simulation, I shall continue to enjoy my real life. : :

You shall keep enjoying life forever, especially in your new bodies.

How can you have a body if you are a simulation?
edgar_winters
Posts: 49
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 11:07:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 11:02:37 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:
At 11/5/2015 8:56:42 PM, desmac wrote:
At 11/5/2015 8:52:14 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:
He is not material by our definition just as we are not material based on such definition by the Sims in Simcity. Their idea of material is meaningless in our existance.

Simulations do not have ideas. Their programmers do.

Well...if created life, or a simulated entity, cannot have ideas, and only programmers do, then us, a created entity cannot "have ideas" because we were created/programmed over time, and a once unreal, but now "real" entity, like ourselves cannot "have ideas." No simulated or once unreal entity can have ideas. Only a programmer can have ideas. And who programmed us? : :

He calls himself Lord, God, Allah, Dios, Father, Creator, King, Savior, Master Designer, Master Programmer, etc.

Psalm 92
5: How great are thy works, O LORD! Thy thoughts are very deep!
6: The dull man cannot know, the stupid cannot understand this:

Psalm 139
17: How precious to me are thy thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them!
edgar_winters
Posts: 49
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 11:09:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 11:04:48 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/5/2015 9:51:21 PM, edgar_winters wrote:
At 11/5/2015 9:42:59 PM, desmac wrote:
At 11/5/2015 9:38:39 PM, edgar_winters wrote:
At 11/5/2015 8:56:42 PM, desmac wrote:
At 11/5/2015 8:52:14 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:
He is not material by our definition just as we are not material based on such definition by the Sims in Simcity. Their idea of material is meaningless in our existance.

Simulations do not have ideas. Their programmers do. : :

You're right. Programmers can only make their characters appear to have ideas like the programmer who designed the simulation we're living in.

You may be living a simulation, I shall continue to enjoy my real life. : :

You shall keep enjoying life forever, especially in your new bodies.

How can you have a body if you are a simulation? : :

Ask these simulated bodies: https://www.youtube.com...
GrittyWorm
Posts: 1,566
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 11:13:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/5/2015 11:04:48 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/5/2015 9:51:21 PM, edgar_winters wrote:
At 11/5/2015 9:42:59 PM, desmac wrote:
At 11/5/2015 9:38:39 PM, edgar_winters wrote:
At 11/5/2015 8:56:42 PM, desmac wrote:
At 11/5/2015 8:52:14 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:
He is not material by our definition just as we are not material based on such definition by the Sims in Simcity. Their idea of material is meaningless in our existance.

Simulations do not have ideas. Their programmers do. : :

You're right. Programmers can only make their characters appear to have ideas like the programmer who designed the simulation we're living in.

You may be living a simulation, I shall continue to enjoy my real life. : :

You shall keep enjoying life forever, especially in your new bodies.

How can you have a body if you are a simulation?

Ever seen "The Matrix" movie? Your brain is an interpretory device. It sees what it believes is there. An Alzheimer's patient might see himself as being made of water and having wings, but that is just his brain interpretting what it percieves to be true. A well put together virtual reality would seem 100% real and "tangable" or "finite" if you had been it all of your life since birth. You would percieve it to be finite because it is all you know. But is it?And who defines what is real? Is the brain(an interpratory, computerlike mechanism) interpreting reality or what it believes is reality?