tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 3:47:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/6/2015 3:36:37 AM, GrittyWorm wrote:

Jediism
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 4:46:00 AM
I think the Force was based on Buddhism and Taoism. There's spirits but I guess no gods in Star Wars. Creation/beginning is never covered, and there's a constant renewal of the conflict between light/dark that must be "balanced." The ultimate goal is to deny self and become "one with the Force," which is another way of saying going to Nirvana, except you're still an individual ghost? If George Lucas was to have covered the Universe beginning in Star Wars, it probably would have been no creation and no big bang, just a constant cycle of events, like Buddhism.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 5:18:15 AM
At 11/6/2015 3:36:37 AM, GrittyWorm wrote:
Is Yoda a creationist or an Atheist? Why?

Well in the star wars universe it's all about the "force".

It seems to me the force is presented as something impersonal like gravity.

The only point I would make is I find it an interesting contrast to some religions which is about the good conquering evil.

It seems to me the force religion is about balance, hence why they talk about resorting balance to the force rather than the forces being used to eliminate evil, along the lines of ying/yang kind of thing.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12