Total Posts:95|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

what is evil.

Kahvan
Posts: 1,339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 9:00:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
define what evil is. i am looking for thoughtful answers and not simply a dictionary definition as that doesnt seem to properly quantify it
Kahvan
Posts: 1,339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 9:04:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/25/2010 9:03:20 PM, Kahvan wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:02:07 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Does it threaten man's life? It's evil.

kfc threatens your life.

so does driving, but i wouldnt call driving evil
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 9:05:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Let me quote Rand on this one, since there's no way to phrase this without basically saying the same thing.

"The standard of value of the Objectivist ethics—the standard by which one judges what is good or evil—is man's life, or: that which is required for man's survival qua man.

Since reason is man's basic means of survival, that which is proper to the life of a rational being is the good; that which negates, opposes or destroys it is the evil."
Kahvan
Posts: 1,339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 9:07:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/25/2010 9:05:20 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Let me quote Rand on this one, since there's no way to phrase this without basically saying the same thing.

"The standard of value of the Objectivist ethics—the standard by which one judges what is good or evil—is man's life, or: that which is required for man's survival qua man.

Since reason is man's basic means of survival, that which is proper to the life of a rational being is the good; that which negates, opposes or destroys it is the evil."

I like that alot but it still seems lacking. help me!lol
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 9:13:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/25/2010 9:07:37 PM, Kahvan wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:05:20 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Let me quote Rand on this one, since there's no way to phrase this without basically saying the same thing.

"The standard of value of the Objectivist ethics—the standard by which one judges what is good or evil—is man's life, or: that which is required for man's survival qua man.

Since reason is man's basic means of survival, that which is proper to the life of a rational being is the good; that which negates, opposes or destroys it is the evil."

I like that alot but it still seems lacking. help me!lol

Morality, essentially, is a code of values. Morality isn't something that just sits out there, and earns you praise when you do something in accordance with it. Ethics is the philosophical study of what one ought to do; the question is, for what purpose?

If a man wishes to die, he need not do anything. His body will take care of the rest. Should he wish to live, however, he cannot refrain from making value judgments. The values that he needs for his prosperous survival qua himself--codifed under the umbrella term, "man's life"--are morality. Those values are what we evaluate as "the good"; therefore, that which negates, opposes, or destroys those value must be evil.

Once you have defined morality, considered its purpose, and grasped its standard, you can understand what its absence--evil--is.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 9:28:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/25/2010 9:02:07 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Does it threaten man's life? It's evil.

got it. earthquakes, andromeda galaxy, viruses, nuclear reactors- all evil!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 9:48:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/25/2010 9:00:41 PM, Kahvan wrote:
define what evil is. i am looking for thoughtful answers and not simply a dictionary definition as that doesnt seem to properly quantify it

Selfishness.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 9:50:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/25/2010 9:50:05 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:48:00 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:00:41 PM, Kahvan wrote:
define what evil is. i am looking for thoughtful answers and not simply a dictionary definition as that doesnt seem to properly quantify it

Selfishness.

Lulz. Why?

It is the root of all evil. Every bad thing that happens can be directly linked to it.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Chrysippus
Posts: 2,173
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 10:03:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Cody answers from the Objectivist's view on morality. I hope you realize, Kavhan, that the answers you get depend on the code of morality accepted by the answerer; you're not going to find a one-size-fits-all answer.

I believe there is one correct answer, though; but then, I'm one of those outdated (and ignored) people that still believe in the existence of absolute truth.

Evil is the quality of being in opposition to God's nature. God is, by definition, good; that is the way He is, the way He works, what He wills; anything that is in contradiction to that is evil.

That is as succinct as I can boil down the traditional Christian view of evil; better men than I have written libraries of books on the topic :)
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
Atheism
Posts: 2,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 10:13:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/25/2010 9:50:58 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:50:05 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:48:00 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:00:41 PM, Kahvan wrote:
define what evil is. i am looking for thoughtful answers and not simply a dictionary definition as that doesnt seem to properly quantify it

Selfishness.

Lulz. Why?

It is the root of all evil. Every bad thing that happens can be directly linked to it.
False.
What about keeping your STDS to yourself?
Selflessness would be wrong in that situation, no?
I miss the old members.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 10:14:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/25/2010 10:13:20 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:50:58 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:50:05 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:48:00 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:00:41 PM, Kahvan wrote:
define what evil is. i am looking for thoughtful answers and not simply a dictionary definition as that doesnt seem to properly quantify it

Selfishness.

Lulz. Why?

It is the root of all evil. Every bad thing that happens can be directly linked to it.
False.
What about keeping your STDS to yourself?
Selflessness would be wrong in that situation, no?

What? That makes no sense.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 10:17:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/25/2010 9:00:41 PM, Kahvan wrote:
define what evil is. i am looking for thoughtful answers and not simply a dictionary definition as that doesnt seem to properly quantify it

Courses of action that maximize the wellbeing of conscious creatures are good.

Courses of action that are needlessly deleterious/detrimental to the wellbeing of conscious creatures are evil/wrong/bad etc. (I don't particularly care what word you use.)
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 10:18:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/25/2010 10:14:46 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:13:20 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:50:58 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:50:05 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:48:00 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:00:41 PM, Kahvan wrote:
define what evil is. i am looking for thoughtful answers and not simply a dictionary definition as that doesnt seem to properly quantify it

Selfishness.

Lulz. Why?

It is the root of all evil. Every bad thing that happens can be directly linked to it.
False.
What about keeping your STDS to yourself?
Selflessness would be wrong in that situation, no?

What? That makes no sense.

How would it be wrong? If I didn't give them to people I wouldn't be giving them a disease. So no, keeping an STD to myself would not be selfish. I would be the opposite.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 10:20:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/25/2010 10:17:17 PM, Freeman wrote:
Courses of action that maximize the wellbeing of conscious creatures are good.

Courses of action that are needlessly deleterious/detrimental to the wellbeing of conscious creatures are evil/wrong/bad etc. (I don't particularly care what word you use.)

For the sake of argument I will accept your definitions.

Why should I do what is good and refrain from that which is bad?
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 10:23:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/25/2010 10:20:07 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:17:17 PM, Freeman wrote:
Courses of action that maximize the wellbeing of conscious creatures are good.

Courses of action that are needlessly deleterious/detrimental to the wellbeing of conscious creatures are evil/wrong/bad etc. (I don't particularly care what word you use.)

For the sake of argument I will accept your definitions.

Why should I do what is good and refrain from that which is bad?

Because it will get you dead. But then again, be my guest.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Atheism
Posts: 2,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 10:24:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/25/2010 10:18:50 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:14:46 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:13:20 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:50:58 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:50:05 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:48:00 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:00:41 PM, Kahvan wrote:
define what evil is. i am looking for thoughtful answers and not simply a dictionary definition as that doesnt seem to properly quantify it

Selfishness.

Lulz. Why?

It is the root of all evil. Every bad thing that happens can be directly linked to it.
False.
What about keeping your STDS to yourself?
Selflessness would be wrong in that situation, no?

What? That makes no sense.

How would it be wrong? If I didn't give them to people I wouldn't be giving them a disease.
Which would be selfish. You are keeping your lovely disease all to yourself.
So no, keeping an STD to myself would not be selfish. I would be the opposite.
How so?
Giving people things=selfless, yes?
Keep things for yourself= Selfish.
I miss the old members.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 10:26:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/25/2010 10:24:16 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:18:50 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:14:46 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:13:20 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:50:58 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:50:05 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:48:00 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:00:41 PM, Kahvan wrote:
define what evil is. i am looking for thoughtful answers and not simply a dictionary definition as that doesnt seem to properly quantify it

Selfishness.

Lulz. Why?

It is the root of all evil. Every bad thing that happens can be directly linked to it.
False.
What about keeping your STDS to yourself?
Selflessness would be wrong in that situation, no?

What? That makes no sense.

How would it be wrong? If I didn't give them to people I wouldn't be giving them a disease.
Which would be selfish. You are keeping your lovely disease all to yourself.
So no, keeping an STD to myself would not be selfish. I would be the opposite.
How so?
Giving people things=selfless, yes?
Keep things for yourself= Selfish.

Lol. Now you desperately trying to craw fish. That is funny.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 10:26:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/25/2010 10:23:06 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:20:07 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:17:17 PM, Freeman wrote:
Courses of action that maximize the wellbeing of conscious creatures are good.

Courses of action that are needlessly deleterious/detrimental to the wellbeing of conscious creatures are evil/wrong/bad etc. (I don't particularly care what word you use.)

For the sake of argument I will accept your definitions.

Why should I do what is good and refrain from that which is bad?

Because it will get you dead. But then again, be my guest.

If a certain action is both wrong and inexpedient, as it will apparently "get [me] dead", and you tell me that the reason I shouldn't perform he action is because it is inexpedient, you say nothing of why I should not do what's simply wrong but expedient.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Atheism
Posts: 2,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 10:29:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/25/2010 10:26:20 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:24:16 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:18:50 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:14:46 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:13:20 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:50:58 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:50:05 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:48:00 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:00:41 PM, Kahvan wrote:
define what evil is. i am looking for thoughtful answers and not simply a dictionary definition as that doesnt seem to properly quantify it

Selfishness.

Lulz. Why?

It is the root of all evil. Every bad thing that happens can be directly linked to it.
False.
What about keeping your STDS to yourself?
Selflessness would be wrong in that situation, no?

What? That makes no sense.

How would it be wrong? If I didn't give them to people I wouldn't be giving them a disease.
Which would be selfish. You are keeping your lovely disease all to yourself.
So no, keeping an STD to myself would not be selfish. I would be the opposite.
How so?
Giving people things=selfless, yes?
Keep things for yourself= Selfish.

Lol. Now you desperately trying to craw fish. That is funny.
Your grammar is deteriorating rapidly now that you can't come up with an actual counter-argument. Lovely.
I miss the old members.
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 10:30:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/25/2010 10:20:07 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:17:17 PM, Freeman wrote:
Courses of action that maximize the wellbeing of conscious creatures are good.

Courses of action that are needlessly deleterious/detrimental to the wellbeing of conscious creatures are evil/wrong/bad etc. (I don't particularly care what word you use.)

For the sake of argument I will accept your definitions.

Why should I do what is good and refrain from that which is bad?

Doing so is in your rational self interest. JK

Let me think about that.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 10:31:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/25/2010 10:26:50 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:23:06 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:20:07 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:17:17 PM, Freeman wrote:
Courses of action that maximize the wellbeing of conscious creatures are good.

Courses of action that are needlessly deleterious/detrimental to the wellbeing of conscious creatures are evil/wrong/bad etc. (I don't particularly care what word you use.)

For the sake of argument I will accept your definitions.

Why should I do what is good and refrain from that which is bad?

Because it will get you dead. But then again, be my guest.

If a certain action is both wrong and inexpedient, as it will apparently "get [me] dead", and you tell me that the reason I shouldn't perform he action is because it is inexpedient, you say nothing of why I should not do what's simply wrong but expedient.

I never said anything about right or wrong friend. I just warned you about actions that will get you dead. Deserves aint got nothin to do with it.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 10:33:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/25/2010 10:29:35 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:26:20 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:24:16 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:18:50 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:14:46 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:13:20 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:50:58 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:50:05 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:48:00 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:00:41 PM, Kahvan wrote:
define what evil is. i am looking for thoughtful answers and not simply a dictionary definition as that doesnt seem to properly quantify it

Selfishness.

Lulz. Why?

It is the root of all evil. Every bad thing that happens can be directly linked to it.
False.
What about keeping your STDS to yourself?
Selflessness would be wrong in that situation, no?

What? That makes no sense.

How would it be wrong? If I didn't give them to people I wouldn't be giving them a disease.
Which would be selfish. You are keeping your lovely disease all to yourself.
So no, keeping an STD to myself would not be selfish. I would be the opposite.
How so?
Giving people things=selfless, yes?
Keep things for yourself= Selfish.

Lol. Now you desperately trying to craw fish. That is funny.
Your grammar is deteriorating rapidly now that you can't come up with an actual counter-argument. Lovely.

I'm lacking in an counter-argument???? Really? You say it is selfish not to give another human being AIDS. Come on now. Let's be realistic here. I know you are young and very immature but you can do much better then this.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Atheism
Posts: 2,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 10:35:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/25/2010 10:33:26 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:29:35 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:26:20 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:24:16 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:18:50 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:14:46 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:13:20 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:50:58 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:50:05 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:48:00 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:00:41 PM, Kahvan wrote:
define what evil is. i am looking for thoughtful answers and not simply a dictionary definition as that doesnt seem to properly quantify it

Selfishness.

Lulz. Why?

It is the root of all evil. Every bad thing that happens can be directly linked to it.
False.
What about keeping your STDS to yourself?
Selflessness would be wrong in that situation, no?

What? That makes no sense.

How would it be wrong? If I didn't give them to people I wouldn't be giving them a disease.
Which would be selfish. You are keeping your lovely disease all to yourself.
So no, keeping an STD to myself would not be selfish. I would be the opposite.
How so?
Giving people things=selfless, yes?
Keep things for yourself= Selfish.

Lol. Now you desperately trying to craw fish. That is funny.
Your grammar is deteriorating rapidly now that you can't come up with an actual counter-argument. Lovely.

I'm lacking in an counter-argument???? Really? You say it is selfish not to give another human being AIDS. Come on now. Let's be realistic here. I know you are young and very immature but you can do much better then this.
You do not properly understand semantics, obviously.
You said that being selfish is evil.
However, wouldn't being selfless with your AIDS be evil as well, as you are knowingly giving others a most likely fatal disease?
Do not dodge the question and try to point to reality.
I miss the old members.
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 10:35:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/25/2010 10:30:10 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:20:07 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:17:17 PM, Freeman wrote:
Courses of action that maximize the wellbeing of conscious creatures are good.

Courses of action that are needlessly deleterious/detrimental to the wellbeing of conscious creatures are evil/wrong/bad etc. (I don't particularly care what word you use.)

For the sake of argument I will accept your definitions.

Why should I do what is good and refrain from that which is bad?

Doing so is in your rational self interest. JK

Let me think about that.

This is the heart of my argument. If I am to do what is good because it is expedient for me to do so, then I am doing what is good, not because it is good, but because it is expedient.

Indeed, there is no reason for me to do anything just because it is good and for this reason I consider the term empty. Completely devoid of any coherent meaning.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 10:39:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/25/2010 10:35:44 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:33:26 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:29:35 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:26:20 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:24:16 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:18:50 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:14:46 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:13:20 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:50:58 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:50:05 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:48:00 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:00:41 PM, Kahvan wrote:
define what evil is. i am looking for thoughtful answers and not simply a dictionary definition as that doesnt seem to properly quantify it

Selfishness.

Lulz. Why?

It is the root of all evil. Every bad thing that happens can be directly linked to it.
False.
What about keeping your STDS to yourself?
Selflessness would be wrong in that situation, no?

What? That makes no sense.

How would it be wrong? If I didn't give them to people I wouldn't be giving them a disease.
Which would be selfish. You are keeping your lovely disease all to yourself.
So no, keeping an STD to myself would not be selfish. I would be the opposite.
How so?
Giving people things=selfless, yes?
Keep things for yourself= Selfish.

Lol. Now you desperately trying to craw fish. That is funny.
Your grammar is deteriorating rapidly now that you can't come up with an actual counter-argument. Lovely.

I'm lacking in an counter-argument???? Really? You say it is selfish not to give another human being AIDS. Come on now. Let's be realistic here. I know you are young and very immature but you can do much better then this.
You do not properly understand semantics, obviously.
You said that being selfish is evil.
However, wouldn't being selfless with your AIDS be evil as well, as you are knowingly giving others a most likely fatal disease?
Do not dodge the question and try to point to reality.

Are you a complete idiot? Wanting sex more the not wanting to hurt someone else by giving them AIDS is selfishness. Is this all you have semantics? Figures.

If that is all you have then yyyeeeaaaahhhh Atheism, he was finally right and jharry was wrong. Wow, you are so awesome.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Atheism
Posts: 2,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2010 10:47:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/25/2010 10:39:07 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:35:44 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:33:26 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:29:35 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:26:20 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:24:16 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:18:50 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:14:46 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 10:13:20 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:50:58 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:50:05 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:48:00 PM, jharry wrote:
At 9/25/2010 9:00:41 PM, Kahvan wrote:
define what evil is. i am looking for thoughtful answers and not simply a dictionary definition as that doesnt seem to properly quantify it

Selfishness.

Lulz. Why?

It is the root of all evil. Every bad thing that happens can be directly linked to it.
False.
What about keeping your STDS to yourself?
Selflessness would be wrong in that situation, no?

What? That makes no sense.

How would it be wrong? If I didn't give them to people I wouldn't be giving them a disease.
Which would be selfish. You are keeping your lovely disease all to yourself.
So no, keeping an STD to myself would not be selfish. I would be the opposite.
How so?
Giving people things=selfless, yes?
Keep things for yourself= Selfish.

Lol. Now you desperately trying to craw fish. That is funny.
Your grammar is deteriorating rapidly now that you can't come up with an actual counter-argument. Lovely.

I'm lacking in an counter-argument???? Really? You say it is selfish not to give another human being AIDS. Come on now. Let's be realistic here. I know you are young and very immature but you can do much better then this.
You do not properly understand semantics, obviously.
You said that being selfish is evil.
However, wouldn't being selfless with your AIDS be evil as well, as you are knowingly giving others a most likely fatal disease?
Do not dodge the question and try to point to reality.

Are you a complete idiot? Wanting sex more the not wanting to hurt someone else by giving them AIDS is selfishness.
Wrong. You are being selfish in respect to giving someone AIDS. You do not want to give someone AIDS, which you have, and you could easily give them without harm to yourself. That is selfishness. You are being selfless when you give it to them. That is the entire point of the argument. Selfishness is NOt evil.
Is this all you have semantics? Figures.
It is not semantics, you just suck at making good arguments.
If that is all you have then yyyeeeaaaahhhh Atheism, he was finally right and jharry was wrong. Wow, you are so awesome.
No, the correct cheer would be:
"JHarry loses. Again. Atheism defeats JHarry. Again. What else is new?'
I miss the old members.